Lance,not about the team ?

bikindad
bikindad Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Is there any reason that Lance couldnt make it to the team dinner to celebrate Contadors win ??? Its always about Lance.What a jerk..

Comments

• Perhaps he thought that his attending wouldn't make people more aware of cancer, or something.

...Or perhaps he is just a jerk, as you say. :wink:

His petulant show of bad sportsmanship tempts me to believe that he really thought that he was going to win this Tour. :lol:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Perhaps he just wants to go back home, see the baby and leave Contador and the team to celebrate their win. He's had 7 celebratory dinners, so leaving AC to the limelight seems fair enough
    M.Rushton
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    mrushton - c'mon. do you think he'd be rushing off if he'd won? Not much of a team player now is he?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    mrushton wrote:
    Perhaps he just wants to go back home, see the baby and leave Contador and the team to celebrate their win. He's had 7 celebratory dinners, so leaving AC to the limelight seems fair enough
    Not really....attending one dinner to share in a colleagues success of this magnitude could hardly be called a hardship - baby or no baby. If true, whatever way you paint it, it comes across as a snub to AC.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    What a jerk... No doubt he will Twitter to reveal all
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Armstrong's actions were weak, almost sad. He can actually learn a few things from Cavendish.

It actually takes away from what Armstrong accomplished in this race -- which is impressive. Third at 38 years old.

He better watch how he plays this -- there is a thin line between driven rider and big jerk.
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    Hmmm sounds a bit rude . . . .
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    He had other things on his mind, shmoozing with Radio Shack executives.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    From the few interviews with Armstrong I've seen on ITV4 throughout the tour it's so obvious he can't even bring himself to say Contador's name.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    He's obvioulsy verrrrrrrrrrrry busy; hasn't found time to Twitter yet.

The charitable would say that's because as 3rd place rider he's busy doing stuff still, over 2 hours after the end of the race.

Others might say...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2009
    GeorgeShaw wrote:

Yep read that earlier, the dinner was last night and Armstrong went schmoozing and boozing with Radio Shack instead.
  • no class.....
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Coriander wrote:
    He's obvioulsy verrrrrrrrrrrry busy; hasn't found time to Twitter yet.
    probably in the air flying home?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Did you see him on the podium? What my mum used to call 'steam roller lips' ie sulking! Also 'wot no kids??? or famous friends?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Bakunin wrote:
    Armstrong's actions were weak, almost sad. He can actually learn a few things from Cavendish.

It actually takes away from what Armstrong accomplished in this race -- which is impressive. Third at 38 years old.

He better watch how he plays this -- there is a thin line between driven rider and big jerk.

A line he crossed many moons ago.
    http://tinyurl.com/nzo7hc[/url]
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    ... as some bloke from Texas once said.... "what a w**ker"... indeed
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    bikindad wrote:
    Is there any reason that Lance couldnt make it to the team dinner to celebrate Contadors win ??? Its always about Lance.What a jerk..
    +1

Not much class. His childishness has spoiled his comeback for me.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Anyone thought maybe bertie didn't want him there either? From the interviews over the last 24 he doesn't seem to be hiding the fact they obviously had issues and he is glad he has got through it all. If you had a teammate like lance the way he has acted over the last few weeks would you want him at your dinner? I know I probably would avoid him.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    GeorgeShaw wrote:

How exactly does one shmooze...?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kinda funny that, for a change, Lance will get paid for the Tour. As the winner - you get nothing and all the prize money goes to the team. But as a 3rd place winner....

Cha-ching! :)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    What were these "intelligence" comments Phil N' Paul made about Bertie then?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Bakunin wrote:
    Have you been asleep for the last 3 weeks? Perhaps you watched the Tour with the sound off to avoid the Lance-idolatry commentary.

Until Verbier every time he opened his mouth he tried to undermine Alberto, dominate the team and dictate tactics. 100% jerk. Only in the last few days has he reined in the bitchiness and actually given the team's no.1 some credit.

Today even the ITV team admitted he had not helped the team - they probably left it this long knowing he wouldn't talk to Matt Rendell if they said anything sooner. I thought his behaviour was most unsporting, but he's absolutely not any kind of team player. AC was probably relieved he was not there to spoil the party.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    mrushton wrote:

+1

And whoever mentioned that he had bad sportsmanship clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word. He was very humble and gracious at this year's Tour
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    I dislike them both to be frank...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I dislike them both to be frank...
    Schleck?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    He was very humble and gracious at this year's Tour
    <cough>
    <choke>
    <splutter>

Heck, if LA's soundbites are your idea of humble and gracious I'd hate to be around you when you are pissed off!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    avalon wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

A line he crossed many moons ago.
    http://tinyurl.com/nzo7hc[/url]

Well said that man.

I also thought he was very unprofessional when he was talking about his new team on a post stage interview - he's still riding for Astana FFS!
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    :roll:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Why don't we just have a topic called "Lance Armstrong - Discuss" then anyone who wants to piss and moan can do so in there, while the rest of us get on with our lives,

I don't care about Armstrong, his politics or anything like that. What I care about is he won the Tour seven times, came third this year and will next be seen in Irleand. Until then, there's the Classica San Sebastian, Tour of Poland, and a few other races going on that Lance Armstrong won't be racing in.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    mrushton wrote:

+1

And whoever mentioned that he had bad sportsmanship clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word. He was very humble and gracious at this year's Tour

How can you +1 that comment when he couldn't have gone home as he still had the last stage to race?