Stage 19 - Bourgoin-Jallieu > Aubenas SPOILER

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    looking forward to the highlights tonight :) sounds like a proper good sprint and another Cav win to toast :D
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    And Eurosport miss that 4 secs thing completely up to this point - even when the GC was flashed up!!

That's unbelievable...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Stuey01 wrote:
    How'd LA manage that then?
    Wily ol' sod!

He was doing the same thing, in early stages, similar to this, in his Tour wins.
    Knows to stay close to the front at crucial times.
    With 600 metres to go, the situation was worse. Wiggins was way off, when the compuslory Euskatel rider, lost "Black Hat's" wheel.

Either a sign of ever improving form, or desperation.....

as others have said he is a wily old fox of a bike rider desperation doesnt come into it.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    edited July 2009
    cavs best win this yr...

was there a split between lance and wiggins?

I am no Cav fan by any means but he is a star of that there is no doubt.Brilliant piece of riding by him and his team .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Good to see that Cavendish can sprint in a straight line. If he chooses to that is. :wink:
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    greeny12 wrote:
    And Eurosport miss that 4 secs thing completely up to this point - even when the GC was flashed up!!

That's unbelievable...
    Aye, that leapt out as soon as I saw it, but to be fair, the guys in the commentary box are probably delaing with 4 or 5 sources of info at once... Someone should "tweet" them...
  • greeny12
    It was a truly thrilling sprint finish, God knows what any other people in my building will have thought if they heard me jumping up and down screaming at my PC screen...!!

In his book Cav talks about his rarely used "sixth gear" that he only brings out in extremis... wonder if today was one of those days - certainly looked like it.

• chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Yep looked like the only sprint where he's really had to dig in
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Philip S wrote:
    greeny12 wrote:

That's unbelievable...
    Aye, that leapt out as soon as I saw it, but to be fair, the guys in the commentary box are probably delaing with 4 or 5 sources of info at once... Someone should "tweet" them...

Thing is they keep bringing up GC and either they can't see it (clearly 15 secs difference) or their producers are not even pointing it out. I am sure they would have a field day talking that one up
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    How good is tomorrow going to be??

Very very very
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    How good is tomorrow going to be??

Very very very

Cannot wait... :D

15 seconds is not a lot of time when you're going up a 10% gradient slope, is it? :twisted:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2009
    4 seconds = perhaps an extra 15 metres gap that Bradley will have to get on Lance on the Ventoux. It's easier to pinch that on the flat in the chaos of a sprint than in a select group on a 10% slope -- unless Lance faulters.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    On the subject of British Eurosport: why do the persist in this neverending armchair chat, when Eurosport International had been showing live coverage for a full 20 minutes, before they turn up?

What is this obssession about talking about what is going to happen, when it's actually on and happening? :?

Must have paid a fortune to have "dad", in the studio.

Then, to miss the split, which was obvious and an important development.
    Hate this seperate format. :x
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Alan Perez and Amets Txurruka both missed the time cut today. Dunno what happened, but it's a shame for Txurruka. He'd been having a good Tour.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    edited July 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    Alan Perez and Amets Txurruka both missed the time cut today. Dunno what happened, but it's a shame for Txurruka. He'd been having a good Tour.

I think that Txurruka fell off on the big stage a few days ago? About the same time as Menchov?

FWIW Le Mevel was also up with the sprinters and has gone up to 9th overall, leapfrogging Martinez. Am sure the gaps tomorrow will be bigger than that though :)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

I think that Txurruka fell off on the big stage a few days ago? About the same time as Menchov?

Yeah, just checked the Euskaltel website and he hurt his hip.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    cavs best win this yr...

Milan-San Remo I think you'll find... :P
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • greeny12
    teagar wrote:
    cavs best win this yr...

From Cyclingnews:

"That will go down as the most memorable win of my career," said Cavendish.

• teagar
    greeny12 wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    cavs best win this yr...

From Cyclingnews:

"That will go down as the most memorable win of my career," said Cavendish.

Pfft, who's he to judge. :wink:

I've always been of the opinion that a monument win is always bigger than a tour win. Especially with that sprint to reach Haussler...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    edited July 2009
    teagar wrote:
    cavs best win this yr...

true true but of course I MEANT to say this year AT THE TOUR...honest so :P

what a day of active racing... no soft transition stage there...ouch!

I like the way when they hit that climb 60% of the peloton just said "f@@k this for a game of soldiers" and sat up in incremental job lots
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • greeny12
    [/quote]

Pfft, who's he to judge. :wink:

I've always been of the opinion that a monument win is always bigger than a tour win. Especially with that sprint to reach Haussler...[/quote]

Personally I'd probably agree with you, but the Tour is clearly a big, big thing in Cav's life, and especially with all the BS that's gone on over Sprint-gate, I'm not surprised that in the heat of the moment he's looking at today as his most memorable win.

It was certainly memorable for me - I now have a sore throat and I can assure people it's not swine flu!!!

• teagar
    greeny12 wrote:

It was certainly memorable for me - I now have a sore throat and I can assure people it's not swine flu!!!

You sure you're still talking about cycling? :twisted: :wink:
  • greeny12
    Ha ha - yes, shouting at cyclists from afar....

:lol:

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Great end to the stage. Good to have some doubt there for once in a sprint finish. Glad that Cav won but cant help thinking that it's someone else's turn. Be good to see one of the teams who have worked hard yet have no wins to show for it win today.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Anyone else think Ballan and LeFevre got a massive pull behind the camera bike today for a lot of the last 15km? Looked pretty blatant to me.
  • greeny12 wrote:
    It was a truly thrilling sprint finish, God knows what any other people in my building will have thought if they heard me jumping up and down screaming at my PC screen...!!

In his book Cav talks about his rarely used "sixth gear" that he only brings out in extremis... wonder if today was one of those days - certainly looked like it.

He might mean literally the small cog, and I don't think he was in it today. His tempo was much higher than Thor.
  • Obelix wrote:
    Exceptional by Cavendish ... makes me remember milan san remo. By far his best sprint win of the tour de france.
    Great little move by armstong to get those extra seconds. Hope they don't count against wiggo on the ventoux.

Hopefully some soft legs for tomorrow!

Astana had a very easy day. Lance was the last rider before the split, Kloden 10 riders back, Alberto 14.

You have to hand it to him. This stage wasn't supposed to end in a bunch and he knew there could be a bit of chaos.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I don't remember him talking about a sixth gear but I do remember him talking about his double kick (ability to power again after an intial burst). I don't think he used any such thing today he just pushed as hard as he could for as long as his could.

The one good thing about cav is he knows to prepare always. He has been taught by Brailsford and BC about marginal gains and so little things like having his special zipp wheels ready and knowing what gear he needs for the final sprint even on stages where they might not be ideal for him are what also wins him the races. He clearly picked and knew the right gear today (Ciolek seemed not to) and we saw in an earlier stage where thor had chosen wrong gear selection. For all the bravado the guy is a top pro and I really hope he grabs the champs sprint on sunday.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Thor and Cav chums again. He's quite candid and thinks Thor is the deserving winner of the green

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 168151.stm
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Im a huge Cav fan, but hes gone up another notch in my estimation after that interview. I think he has learnt a hell of a lot off the road this year!!