Stage 18: Annecy ITT SPOILER

18910111214»

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I think Wiggo will do well to hold 4th. He will be outnumbered by Saxo Bank and Astana and vulnarable to repeat attacks. His best hope is that Astana infighting and/or a collapse of form from someone else will help him.

Where ever he finishes though he has been absolutely brilliant. Who'd have thought we'd get this far and the Brit whose name is on everyone's lips is not Cav?
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    I think the Schlecks with once again show remarkable powers of recovery in the third week of the Tour.

Wiggins and Armstrong simply don't have that special extra something. For me, they are probably the real winners here.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    I think Wiggo will do well to hold 4th. He will be outnumbered by Saxo Bank and Astana and vulnarable to repeat attacks. His best hope is that Astana infighting and/or a collapse of form from someone else will help him.

Where ever he finishes though he has been absolutely brilliant. Who'd have thought we'd get this far and the Brit whose name is on everyone's lips is not Cav?

I suppose the difference is that Conti and Andy are more or less out of the equation, so is they go (and they've been the guys who have had the firepower to make breaks stick so far) the others can let them go. Klodi is the joker though. I wonder where his next contract is coming from?
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Philip S wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

I suppose the difference is that Conti and Andy are more or less out of the equation, so is they go (and they've been the guys who have had the firepower to make breaks stick so far) the others can let them go. Klodi is the joker though. I wonder where his next contract is coming from?

As long as he's feeling strong you have to think Andy will do all he can to propel Frank back onto the podium...so no lone or two-up with Conti breaks from him.

Lance had a pretty poor TT today, given all the expectations, and there's no guarantee he'll be super strong on Ventoux. Frank will fancy his chances...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
    58585 Posts: 207
    Can't believe how childish the fellow who mooned armstrong on the climb was.
    Wasn't in any way amusing.
    Noone else notice that??
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Has Jokehmmer PM'd anybody to come out to Ohio to have a fist fight with him, yet?
    Got banned on the CN forums. Their gain is our loss.

Still, he wasn't alone over there. Here's a typical gem:
    there is something about contador I detest. I hope he tests postive. He does have that overly intense look of a druggy. Regardless, I will boycott next year because I dont want to see Contador win again. People seem to forget the massive genocide the spanish committed in South America.
    I can see the UN getting involved in the Colombiere's Conflict! :lol:

So you're saying "jackhammer111" is from Ohio? USA? Or am I just not understanding
    what you're saying? That could be.
    That IS a strange quote.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    greeny12 wrote:
    Philip S wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

As long as he's feeling strong you have to think Andy will do all he can to propel Frank back onto the podium...so no lone or two-up with Conti breaks from him.

Lance had a pretty poor TT today, given all the expectations, and there's no guarantee he'll be super strong on Ventoux. Frank will fancy his chances...

Yes, the Schlecks will both push - Andy will want to make 2nd place certain, whilst bringing Frank past Lance in the overall - wonder how Kloden will ride? - he could be a spanner in the works for Frank.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Whatever the result, Wiggins has had a fantastic tour - if anyone had said three weeks ago that a Brit would be finishing top 10 (never mind top 6 with possible podium) I'd have questioned their sanity.

A lot depends on how long (if) Garmin can supply support - Millar may last a short time, and CVdV, but other than that he'll be pretty isolated.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    I can't see wiggo coming over the top.. Lance really has to worry about frank..

wiggo is fading..

Lance looked old

that 40 secs in the crosswinds is looking more important than ever
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Whatever the result, Wiggins has had a fantastic tour .

Agreed - and his interviews have been refreshingly honest, open, frank and humerous - a much needed character.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    edited July 2009
    he gave it a good shot...his tactical position is next to hopeless

I stood up and clapped him that day to verbier in my front room..... followed by everyone else

how many more tours has he got in him..... not many if any, can he go it again?

good luck on the ventoux brad
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    Brad has done amazingly.

On Twitter he was saying that "lots of the UK press were pleased he'd had an off day" yesterday.

Anyone know what that was all about? I refuse to read "the press" (for this exact reason actually)
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Earthbound wrote:
    Ok.. I admit I overstate this. Alberto's attack in stage 7 was questionable. His second attack yesterday didn't work, dropped his help.

Bertie wasn't getting any help from Kloden. It was very noticable how Kloden did absolutely nothing for Contador yesterday, or any other day for that matter. If Kloden was to help Contador he would have been immediately ahead of him setting tempo. Never once did he take up any other position than sitting on Contador's wheel. Never once.

ANY attack Contador makes is never questionable because of 1 overriding thing:

He's the TEAM LEADER, he's the race favourite, he's the yellow jersey, it's his job to attack. Which part of that Merckx-ian approach to cyclying do you not get?

Team leader or no he's expected to do what the D/S tell him to do, even if he doesn't like it as we saw with Garmin a few days ago.
    He was in to danger. If he'd given Kloden a moment to recover he probably could have been helpful in the finish. It would have been a different story if the Schlecks had attacked, but that's not what happend. Teammates that work for you need rewarded. What did Alberto do? He gifted Frank Schleck a stage win.
    If he really was gassed and unable to pass Frank, #1 it's could have been his own fault for letting himself get isolated and, #2 it doesn't bode well for Mont-Ventoux
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Why does everyone say Brad is outnumbered for the climb?
    Ok if it was on the flat I could see it but not on the last climb.
    Frank Schlek looked a bit tired to me today, even Andy a bit.
    To my amazement Brad has been seen to be stronger than Lance, Franck and Kloden on previous climbs so I see no reason why he could not at least get to third in paris.
    I do not think he will get to second.
    Andy has to be careful not to overcook the climb as he is certainly not going to catch Contodor sho should really go steady but if he tries to drag his brother away they could both pay, he should settle for second!!
    As for Brad, he needs to stay with Frank and Armstrong and try to slip away last 2k or so if he has the strength, he should not bother trying to chase Andy or Contador should they attack as he will not be able to get away from them enough to get second anyway so go for third Brad. I think, and hope he can do it, watch out for Millar and Van der Velde keeping pace high as long as possible for as long as possible, this is not as steep as yesterdays climb so I think he may have a chance to get third.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Teammates that work for you need rewarded

--but Kloden has done jack sh*t for Contador. Have you not been watching? Get a grip!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Teammates that work for you need rewarded. What did Alberto do?

Did you know that Tour winners don't keep all their prize money? It's split up between the team (and backroom staff). Each Astana rider will get nearly 50,000 euros each due to AC being the best.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Has Jokehmmer PM'd anybody to come out to Ohio to have a fist fight with him, yet?
    Got banned on the CN forums. Their gain is our loss.

Still, he wasn't alone over there. Here's a typical gem:
    there is something about contador I detest. I hope he tests postive. He does have that overly intense look of a druggy. Regardless, I will boycott next year because I dont want to see Contador win again. People seem to forget the massive genocide the spanish committed in South America.
    I can see the UN getting involved in the Colombiere's Conflict! :lol:

That is a brilliant quote, so funny. GOLD.
  • SpaceJunk
    RichN95 wrote:
    Teammates that work for you need rewarded. What did Alberto do?

Did you know that Tour winners don't keep all their prize money? It's split up between the team (and backroom staff). Each Astana rider will get nearly 50,000 euros each due to AC being the best.

No gifts!
  • SpaceJunk
    edited July 2009
    Double post
  • SpaceJunk
    edited July 2009
    Triple post - sorry
  • BilgeRat
    BilgeRat Posts: 23
    Evans was the fastest up the climb. Contador 2nd, Fedrigo 3rd and Kloden 4th.
    Do you have a source for this. The analysis I have seen shows Contador as fastest.
    Thanks
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    BilgeRat wrote:
    Evans was the fastest up the climb. Contador 2nd, Fedrigo 3rd and Kloden 4th.
    Do you have a source for this. The analysis I have seen shows Contador as fastest.
    Thanks
    Cadel - SILENCE - LOTTO
    chrono 1 18.0 km 30th at 00:01:26
    chrono 2 25.0 km 24th at 00:01:09
    chrono 3 28.5 km 9th at 00:01:02
    chrono 4 37.0 km 12th at 00:01:15
    arrivee 40.5 km 12th at 00:01:14
    21CONTADOR Alberto - ASTANA
    chrono 1 18.0 km 1st in 00:20:02
    chrono 2 25.0 km 2th at 00:00:03
    chrono 3 28.5 km 1st in 00:36:50
    chrono 4 37.0 km 1st in 00:45:07
    arrivee 40.5 km 1st in 00:48:31
    then cadel climbed it in 8'21" 4 sec's faster than AC at 8'25"
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Sorry for breathing life back into a dead thread.......I come late to it......Wiggins needs to gamble on the Ventoux and stick to Armstrong like glue. The gamble is that Armstrong wants 3rd and neither Kloeden or F Schleck are going to be allowed to rain on the parade.

If Wiggo's got the legs, which after yesterday's fade is a question mark currently. He might lose a lot of time on Ventoux if he's getting worse and everyone else is 'recovering' better than him.

What is the GC for riders without any suspect links to doping by the way?