Di Luca positive for CERA in Giro d'Italia

Comments

• drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    leguape wrote:
    Er, Brailsford said they wouldn't talk to anyone with any links or taint from doping. I'm guessing Oil For Drugs would make it pretty obvious that Brailsford wouldn't even have contemplated it.

Sky are not in it for the fuzzy feeling, and I remember the media on your island were pretty much wetting themselves with Di Luca's presence at the ToB. I wouldn't doubt a marketing type asking Brailsford to have a look. I don't think Brailsford was too surprised with what he found, though...
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Yeah but part of all funding for british cycling requires total commitment to being clean. Even a slightly tainted image would rule them out I doubt brailsford even entertained the idea of di luca, as pointed out earlier rumours about di luca had been around for years like a stench.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Now, I'm wondering whats happening with all those 2008 Giro samples the police took for CERA testing.
    What's the hold up? So far, nada.
    Hands up all those who think there are no CERA positives amongst that lot?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    drenkrom wrote:
    I remember the media on your island were pretty much wetting themselves with Di Luca's presence at the ToB.
    Some interesting debate at the time, especially with hindsight:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12580671
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    So it took them this long to test for it?

Does this mean that we wont have any Tour de France scandals until September then? :?

What's he saying in that video? Currently got no sound... :!:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Now, I'm wondering whats happening with all those 2008 Giro samples the police took for CERA testing.
    What's the hold up? So far, nada.
    Hands up all those who think there are no CERA positives amongst that lot?

I had been thinking. The Olympics samples took a long time to come back too but there must have been more samples to test for that.

How many times would Di Luca have been tested? I dont think they would realise exact numbers but he was in pink for a while i think and finished high on stages (position that is!). As he only tested positive twice does this suggest that he was tested after both the 20th and the 28th and came back negative? If so, this may suggest that he was 'unlucky' and that there is a short window of detection.

EDIT: Actually looking back he had a few third places after 20th May and was second on GC so i dont know whether he would have been tested?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Now, I'm wondering whats happening with all those 2008 Giro samples the police took for CERA testing. What's the hold up? So far, nada.

With the number of samples they're taking these days, I'd suggest the major problem is finding lab time. Remember there's only a limited number of certified labs to do drug testing, and not all labs can perform the newest tests.

With CERA the lab which developed the test will be having to do the brunt of the work as they slowly teach the technique to other labs. Each lab will have a run-in period when they run numerous tests until they get constantly accurate and repeatable results before they can start doing "live" tests.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    donrhummy wrote:
    I just don't get this?! He KNEW they were now testing for CERA and had just caught a TON of guys with it, why the heck would he take it?! Stupid.

More to the point- Why would anyone dope?
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    Ah well, that's a shame at least Di Luca has a futire as Bernhard Langer's stunt double ....

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... -ap416.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    More to the point- Why would anyone dope?

You don't really want an answer, do you?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    I love the killer and i know I'm gonna get shot down in flames for this but if racing like he does is called cheating then I'll have that all day long. :oops:
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I love the killer and i know I'm gonna get shot down in flames for this but if racing like he does is called cheating then I'll have that all day long. :oops:

I think you'll find many people loved the Killers racing style. His aggression, never say die attacks etc. Can't fault him on that.

However....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I understand the entertainment but if all riders were clean then the same willingness to attack would still prevail.

No rider should be forced to take unlicenced medications or excessive doses just so they can do their job. TV entertainment is one thing but not at the expense of the cyclist's health.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    iainf72 wrote:

I think you'll find many people loved the Killers racing style. His aggression, never say die attacks etc. Can't fault him on that.

However....

They were exciting tactics, like Ricco's really...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    NapoleonD wrote:

They were exciting tactics, like Ricco's really...

wasn't really that tactical a rider.. just hit the front hard
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Indeed. I forgot to put the tactics in inverted commas...
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Yep, that's how I race but obviously I'm not doped so I hit the front and immediately go backwards. It's bloody dopers like him that made me think that's how you're supposed to race, which is why I never win anything. :lol:
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    he should be allowed to have a special theraputic exemption certif' to use EPO :)
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    From his Twitter, whether it is him or some imposter I don't know. On his facebook page there is a lot from 'him', but again it may well not be the man himself.

There is a conspiracy against DiLuca by UCI and other elements. I will be proven innocent.7:32 AM Jul 22nd from TwitterBerry

Why would I be so stupid as to use the CERA after all that has come before?11:17 AM Jul 23rd from web
    Contador is the Greatest
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    From his Twitter, whether it is him or some imposter I don't know. On his facebook page there is a lot from 'him', but again it may well not be the man himself.

There is a conspiracy against DiLuca by UCI and other elements. I will be proven innocent.7:32 AM Jul 22nd from TwitterBerry

Why would I be so stupid as to use the CERA after all that has come before?11:17 AM Jul 23rd from web

please can you post his twitter id, i fancy following for bu115hit amusement value
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2009
    "Pozzato's" is good for a laugh too: http://twitter.com/Pozzato_ego
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398

Cool - if it is is DiLuca he is talking about himself in the third person - always amusing.
  • frenchfighter
    Funnily enough he often talks in the third person in his interviews etc.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    "Pozzato's" is good for a laugh too: http://twitter.com/Pozzato_ego

That's GOLD Jerry, GOLD!!!!

My Fav??
    I would like to thank my ego for its help in my victory. But I won't. B/c I'm so good that how could be possible I need to thank someone?
    6:44 AM Jun 29th from web
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    Latest from his twitter:
    Aug 5th, 1.43PM: Even if the results of the counter-analysis are positive, I will continue with my battle as regards the methods used...

And from Petacchi's twitter:
    Aug 5th, 1.47PM: no no no, Di Luca, no...

This is interesting - is Petacchi telling Di Luca it is pointless to fight?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    610x.jpg

Is that a photo of DDL kissing his career goodbye?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Hmmm.. I'm still puzzled about the use of Cera. The huge bust in Italy a few weeks ago suggested the use of an EPO type drug beyond Cera which is undetectable. I'm still a bit puzzled why he was still on Cera.
    Gerolsteiner was ending last year hence the doping that came out of the Team; Schu and Kohl. They wanted to secure a new Contract for the next season ( '09). Riders had done that in the past to boost results when their contract was up. I guess it's a bit of a risk these days if a rider goes Nuclear at the end of a Contact. (Kohl used to climb well a few years back if anyone thought he couldn't).
    I think Di Luca got a tricky result once when he was tested at 10.30pm at night and his Testosterone Levels were supposed to be through the roof. Di Luca said the cut off time for Doping Control was at 10pm so the results were not correct and should be disregarded. I have been lead to beleive that when a rider finishes a stage, pees at Doping Control (if picked for it), heads off for a shower, meal and a massage. A Steriod Plaster is put on the rider after 10pm so that the Recovery Process can work overnight. Even when the next stage begins, the Hormone Levels of that rider are still enough to get a Positive Test result but as the stage progresses the Hormone Level drops enough for the rider to finish the Stage with his Doping Results under the levels which would produce a Positive Result.
    Don't know where I got that from but I think that's how Steriods work in bike racing. Clever! :)
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Hmmm.. I'm still puzzled about the use of Cera. The huge bust in Italy a few weeks ago suggested the use of an EPO type drug beyond Cera which is undetectable. I'm still a bit puzzled why he was still on Cera.
    Gerolsteiner was ending last year hence the doping that came out of the Team; Schu and Kohl. They wanted to secure a new Contract for the next season ( '09). Riders had done that in the past to boost results when their contract was up. I guess it's a bit of a risk these days if a rider goes Nuclear at the end of a Contact. (Kohl used to climb well a few years back if anyone thought he couldn't).
    I think Di Luca got a tricky result once when he was tested at 10.30pm at night and his Testosterone Levels were supposed to be through the roof. Di Luca said the cut off time for Doping Control was at 10pm so the results were not correct and should be disregarded. I have been lead to beleive that when a rider finishes a stage, pees at Doping Control (if picked for it), heads off for a shower, meal and a massage. A Steriod Plaster is put on the rider after 10pm so that the Recovery Process can work overnight. Even when the next stage begins, the Hormone Levels of that rider are still enough to get a Positive Test result but as the stage progresses the Hormone Level drops enough for the rider to finish the Stage with his Doping Results under the levels which would produce a Positive Result.
    Don't know where I got that from but I think that's how Steriods work in bike racing. Clever! :)
    -Jerry

Do you not find it slightly disconcerting that your liking for professional cycling has taken you down the path of knowing that? I know I increasingly find that I know far too much about this doping malarky. It's not fun anymore.

Di Luca was a dunce though. No doubt.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.