Di Luca positive for CERA in Giro d'Italia

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    I just don't get this?! He KNEW they were now testing for CERA and had just caught a TON of guys with it, why the heck would he take it?! Stupid.

Because he'd been taking it for ages without getting caught?
    Exactly, it seems probably that many were taking it but getting away with it, perhaps by micro-dosing.

I said at the time that I had little faith in his riding and that every May sees the Festival of Doping. 2009 has proved to be no exception.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    This makes me oddly happy. Guess I was right all along when I called his performances "ridiculous" in the Giro.

Not really becuae iirc your "ridculous" claims were relating to his climbing ability, so not that ridiculous at the time.

Eh? Where do you think he got his climbing ability from?

The point is he had always been a half decent climber
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    JC.152 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    HEY, this means Sastre made another GT podium!!

it'll probably be another rebellin as di luca's test was from 07? not 09 and so they cant kick him out...

...yet :twisted:

Cycling news saying tests from:

he UCI announced Wednesday that it has suspended Italian Danilo Di Luca for two positive tests for the EPO derivative CERA. The LPR Brakes rider's doping control samples showed evidence of the banned blood booster on two occasions - on May 20 and 28th during the 2009 Giro d'Italia.

oops i read the ilailian newspapers story as it being from 07 :oops:
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    What really does my swede in is the Eurosport commentary which just broke the news along the lines of 'Di Luca has tested positive for CERA at the Giro... well, that's another race so never mind'. FFS...
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    At last
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    This makes me oddly happy. Guess I was right all along when I called his performances "ridiculous" in the Giro.

Not really becuae iirc your "ridculous" claims were relating to his climbing ability, so not that ridiculous at the time.

Eh? Where do you think he got his climbing ability from?

The point is he had always been a half decent climber

And in all probability he's always been a doper.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Unbelievable. I just wonder how he thought he wouldn't get caught. Was he microdosing or trying to do anything clever? New variety of CERA or something?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why taint this TdF with going on about it? Announce the news then carry on with this race.

What do you want them to do?

If someone tests positive in this TdF then fair enough.
  • moray_gub
    calvjones wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Time for an avatar change. The joke has become reality.

May I suggest Kloden

Menchov.

Wiggins

May I be permitted a :roll: at this point Moray?

Well whats good for one is good for another eh, you see thats the problem thats been created by flinging around ludicrous accusations. So Brad sorry mate but your perfomances while great to see are very suspicious
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Anyone surprised?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    UCI Press release:
    Danilo Di Luca provisionally suspended

Earlier today, the UCI advised Italian rider Danilo Di Luca that he is provisionally suspended. The decision to provisionally suspend Mr Di Luca was made in response to a report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Paris indicating an Adverse Analytical Finding of Recombinant EPO (CERA) in blood samples collected from him at the Giro d’Italia on 20 May and 28 May 2009.

These adverse findings were a direct result of a targeted test programme conducted on Mr Di Luca using information from his biological passport’s blood profile, previous test results and his race schedule.

The provisional suspension of Mr Di Luca remains in force until a hearing panel convened by the Italian Cycling Federation determines whether he has indeed committed an anti-doping rule violation under Article 21 of the UCI Anti-Doping Rules.

Mr Di Luca has the right to request and attend the analyses of both his B samples.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code and the UCI Anti-Doping Rules, the UCI is unable to provide any additional information at this time.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    He was a half decent climber in the way Bettini was a half decent climber. He could motor up sprinter hills, great on the steep stuff, fair to middling on the high passes, then his style of riding completely changed. Suddenly he was attacking like Charley Gaul.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Why is wiggins very suspicious?

He has never had previous links with doping and he is an incredibly powerful rider (Olympic pursuit champion?) who has lost a shed load of weight...
  • Kléber
    afx237vi wrote:
    And in all probability he's always been a doper.
    Exactly, he's had an appaling reputation since his days as an U-23 which persisted into the pro ranks, look how long ago ASO were trying to ban him. Then he gets involved in the Oil for Drugs but survives yet decides to take CERA. Stronzo!

This isn't to say he's a nasty guy or a boring rider, he raised a lot for the L'Aquila earthquake victims in the Giro and his attacks livened up many a finish. But that's not the point, he's been busted for cheating and good riddance.
  • afx237vi
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Well whats good for one is good for another eh, you see thats the problem thats been created by flinging around ludicrous accusations. So Brad sorry mate but your perfomances while great to see are very suspicious

Do you actually believe what you write or do you just enjoy being deliberately obtuse?

If you really can't see the difference between DDL, Kloden and Wiggins, then I truly give up.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    If I may add to Nap D's list, he rides on a team with a public and rigorous anti-doping system who also didn't employ Pettachi and Savoldelli
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • moray_gub
    NapoleonD wrote:

He has never had previous links with doping and he is an incredibly powerful rider (Olympic pursuit champion?) who has lost a shed load of weight...

Two reasons he rode for Cofidis so the assocation angle that others are accused of kicks in here and
    secondly he is climbing like Bernard Kohl last year ,this depspite never having shown anything like this before. For whats its worth i dont think he is doping but we cant have it both ways here
  • Kléber
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Two reasons he rode for Cofidis so the assocation angle that others are accused of kicks in here
    MG, go back and see my previous point on Cofidis.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    No TOB for DDL this year then?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • JC.152
    Moray Gub wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Two reasons he rode for Cofidis so the assocation angle that others are accused of kicks in here and
    secondly he is climbing like Bernard Kohl last year ,this depspite never having shown anything like this before. For whats its worth i dont think he is doping but we cant have it both ways here

wiggins was climbing this well (or similer in the giro) unlike kohl who did come form nowhere
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Why taint this TdF with going on about it? Announce the news then carry on with this race.

What do you want them to do?

If someone tests positive in this TdF then fair enough.

Does it really not bother you that a former Giro winner tests positive at another Giro where he finished on the podium? It does me, and I would have thought it warranted something a bit more critical than 'ah well, never mind', irrespective of the fact we're watching the TdF and it happened two months ago.
  • Anonymous
    Yes, it really does bother me, it really p1sses me off! But, there is another race to talk about at the moment.
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    di Luca was rumoured to be in talks with Sky. Is he the one Brailsfod say he saw the passport of and said no way.?
  • Tusher wrote:
    Anyone surprised?

Yeah actually I'm quite surprised he got caught. Di Luca's 'family doctor' (Carlo Santuccione aka Ali the chemist) knew Danilo was being targeted so they really screwed things up at some point.

For disgruntledgoat, I still think Di Luca was a much better climber than Bettini from the word go. Danilo's 1st giro (2000) was impressive and he won his 1st mountain stage in 2001.
  • Anonymous
    BdeB

Quite possible......
  • JC.152
    BdeB wrote:
    di Luca was rumoured to be in talks with Sky. Is he the one Brailsfod say he saw the passport of and said no way.?
    yeh thats what i was thinking on page 1 of this but couldnt remember
  • afx237vi
    BdeB wrote:

Surely Brailsford wouldn't have needed to look at the bio passport to know DDL stinks of dopage. Google coulda told him that.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Not a surprise, would just be nice if he stays caught, and doesn't come back like after his previous infringements. Also just goes to prove even further, that even nice guys dope, before we start going down that debate again!
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    But we've had no positives at the Tour (yet). I wonder if there will be the same pattern as the Giro: positives after the fact?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    If Garzelli gets away unscathed, then he is luckier than the pirate! Or better connected.