Stage 17 - Bourg-Saint-Maurice - Le Grand-Bornand - SPOILER

Comments

• Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    .....and the old trick of 'adjusting the saddle' whilst the team car does about 40mph :)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I reckon he was doing about 5kph when he went down. Quality.

Yeah... next thing you know he'll be crashing at the end of the stage because he can't get out of his cleats.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Edwin wrote:
    .....and the old trick of 'adjusting the saddle' whilst the team car does about 40mph :)

No - that was a genuine problem. With the brakes! 8)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Menchov: The polar opposite to Paulo Savoldelli. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Menchov, bunny-hopping :D
  • Pokerface
    Mettan wrote:
    Menchov, bunny-hopping :D

Yeah - so he didn't have take the corner on the roundabout!! LOL
  • SpaceJunk
    edited July 2009
    Bunny-hopping = broken rear wheel.

Can't take a trick.
  • Pokerface
    Menchov stops for a new bike. Guess all that bunny-hopping wasn't such a good idea.

Team car should be along any second now for another "brake adjustment"....
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    lol at "a rasmussen moment"
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Astana back on the front.
  • Harry Hill
    will Thor get the Combative Prize today?
  • Kenny's out of the race. :(
  • KentS
    KentS Posts: 240
    Kenny van Hummel abandons according to Eurosport :(

Sort of a change of subject, and I only caught a glimpse of this, but I seem to remember in one of the earlier stages Big George leading out someone(Columbia) and Cavendish
    tucked neatly in third(getting well set up for the win). GH really gave it hell and then peeled off to the left while Cavendish and his lead out guy went on for the win. What struck me about this was the way George veered left and slowed way down, forcing a big split in the peloton. Just guessing, but I would think that that "move" screwed up, at least, a few sprinters ambitions. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, that was the reason his run for yellow, a few stages later, come up just a little bit short? Anyone? Or am I
    imagining all this? Which could be the case.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I don't understand why Cervelo's letting Thor stay out there alone. I understand he probably went ahead so that he wouldn't be dropped by so much that he'd be outside the time limit, but he's putting in a lot of effort and he's going to pay for that for days to come. It could be a risk when he hits the Ventoux. I think they should have him join up with the group behind him and save energy.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Menchov has more problems with white lines than Boonen!
    :lol:
  • Harry Hill
    i noticed several times the various lead out men pull over "a bit" rather than right over to the edge of the road, and I'm amazed someone wasn't rear-ended in a big way.

I would have thought that could be a disciplinary offence, for safety reasons.
  • Harry Hill
    i noticed several times the various lead out men pull over "a bit" rather than right over to the edge of the road, and I'm amazed someone wasn't rear-ended in a big way.

I would have thought that could be a disciplinary offence, for safety reasons.
  • SpaceJunk
    Kenny NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SpaceJunk
    dennisn wrote:
    good for him after Cavendish's latest comments. Doing his talking on the bike.

Sort of a change of subject, and I only caught a glimpse of this, but I seem to remember in one of the earlier stages Big George leading out someone(Columbia) and Cavendish
    tucked neatly in third(getting well set up for the win). GH really gave it hell and then peeled off to the left while Cavendish and his lead out guy went on for the win. What struck me about this was the way George veered left and slowed way down, forcing a big split in the peloton. Just guessing, but I would think that that "move" screwed up, at least, a few sprinters ambitions. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, that was the reason his run for yellow, a few stages later, come up just a little bit short? Anyone? Or am I
    imagining all this? Which could be the case.

Dennis, I think you are right about George veering off. I also think Mick Rogers did it earlier in the Tour to.

Not sure if that constituted pay back time, but you never know.
  • SpaceJunk
    Kenny has crashed!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Kenny has crashed!

After he withdrew? That's a bad day.
  • SpaceJunk
    donrhummy wrote:
    I don't understand why Cervelo's letting Thor stay out there alone. I understand he probably went ahead so that he wouldn't be dropped by so much that he'd be outside the time limit, but he's putting in a lot of effort and he's going to pay for that for days to come. It could be a risk when he hits the Ventoux. I think they should have him join up with the group behind him and save energy.

Well, he's got 12 green jersey points, and made a point with Cav.

As to Saturday, well I think Thor will be sitting on Cav's wheel the whole way up Ventoux. He'll make sure he finishes within time-limit.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    NEWSFLASH!

Menchove negotiates a corner safely..... :shock:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    Mettan wrote:
    Astana back on the front.

i think wiggins is going to come up against it here.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Kenny has crashed!

After he withdrew? That's a bad day.

No, Paul Sherwin reported Kenny crashed, and they have taken him to hospital. :cry:
  • SpaceJunk
    Newflash!!

Di Luca fails 2009 Giro drug test for CERA
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Saw kenny go over the top of Petit St Bernard yesterday and he was storming! Really giving it some... shame.

Hushovd gesturing to the camera by grabbing his jersey and shouting "I'm taking this to Paris!" Was ace too, right after the sprint too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Go Thor!

This is a great climb from a sprinter, he thoroughly deserves to win Green this tour.
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    edited July 2009
    Di Luca - How could anyone be so stupid?