Stage 17 - Bourg-Saint-Maurice - Le Grand-Bornand - SPOILER

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Belv wrote:
    How good are the Schleks at TT's?

Frank is truly crap at TTs, Andy will lose time, but not that much.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Levi just posted on twitter.
    If Andreas finishes 4th in GC by less than 2' from 3rd, we know where he lost it. . .
  • FJS
    BTW, Nocentini is hanging in there pretty well. Would have thought defending yellow would have taken a bit more out of him
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Conti now complaining about his teammate (Klodi)... Hope there's something lost in translation there.
    He was saying he's his best mate... or was that me before I open another bottle?
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Funny how the top 5 places are held by Bruyneel and Riis.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Armstrong amazing recuperative powers. I thought he'd go backwards, after Verbier, but did a pretty good job of removing Wiggin's podium hopes.
    Chapeau to the old bug*er.

His racing brain does him a lot of favours. He got a free ride up Colombiere, then steamed past Wiggins for the final 2km of the climb. Hats off, though. He gets over those hills well for a big lad - coming up the finish he was behind Nibali, but you could see his shoulders and arms on either side of Nibs.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited July 2009
    If Andreas finishes 4th in GC by less than 2' from 3rd, we know where he lost it. . .

When he wasn't up with the Lance/ Columbia break on stage 3?
    Or when he was dragging someone up to Verbier?

What an a**hole.
    Eurostar wrote:
    Funny how the top 5 places are held by Bruyneel and Riis.

Yeah...who'd a thunk it. Team Saxo Omegastana? :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    FJS wrote:
    BTW, Nocentini is hanging in there pretty well. Would have thought defending yellow would have taken a bit more out of him

Yeah i was thinking that but maybe being team leader and having people do a lot of things for you can mean that it isnt quite as bad as it may appear? Impressive performance nonetheless.

Good ride by Feillu again - he's in 19th. Moreau turned the clock back again today, finishing in 8th. Bad day for Kirchen, standings up to 20 minutes dont include him. No Evans either but thats less of a surprise.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

When he wasn't up with the Lance/ Columbia break on stage 3?
    Or when he was dragging someone up to Verbier?

What an a**hole.

Also:

I guess it's not meant to be for Andreas, what was a near sure victory will now be difficult.

WTF?

Robbie Hunter says:

Can't believe Contador attacked!! Possibly the most stupid team move of the TDF. Today there gonna be words in Astana.

Can you imagine them saying the same thing if Armstrong had been in Conti's place?
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    Excellent days racing! And great to see the brothers congratulating each other afterwards.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    afx237vi wrote:
    Also:

I guess it's not meant to be for Andreas, what was a near sure victory will now be difficult.

WTF?

Robbie Hunter says:

Can't believe Contador attacked!! Possibly the most stupid team move of the TDF. Today there gonna be words in Astana.

Can you imagine them saying the same thing if Armstrong had been in Conti's place?

Yes, it would then have been a deliberately planned move from the master tactician.
    Seems like the Schleck boys knew what the Astana game plan was.
    The only guy who didn't was Berto. :oops:

Kloden was stuffed and all ready to come out of the oven.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thamacdaddy
    thing is after bertie went you could tell he was concerned Klodi had been dropped. According to his post race he says he was unhappy as he asked him before he went and klodi said he could go, that he is good friends with him and wanted him to get the stage win.

If its true and thats what klodi said I can't see how the rest of the team can be too annoyed, unless levi was commenting that Klodi not being able to keep with them lost it for himself? I just presumed he was criticising contador.
  • thamacdaddy
    Further to that armstrong has posted
    Getting lots of question why AC attacked and dropped Kloden. I still haven't figured it out either. Oh well.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Philip S wrote:
    coming up the finish he was behind Nibali, but you could see his shoulders and arms on either side of Nibs.
    LOL - I noticed that. It was like a father going out with his son for a ride.
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:

Yeah i was thinking that but maybe being team leader and having people do a lot of things for you can mean that it isnt quite as bad as it may appear? Impressive performance nonetheless..
    Very true. A bit like a Chiappucci conversion? Hope not in other aspects...
  • Cumulonimbus
    FJS wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Yeah i was thinking that but maybe being team leader and having people do a lot of things for you can mean that it isnt quite as bad as it may appear? Impressive performance nonetheless..
    Very true. A bit like a Chiappucci conversion? Hope not in other aspects...

I dont know him that well and im sure someone else will have better analysis. However, i think he has had some climbing ability but it hasnt been worth his while going for 20th-30th position. He did well in Paris-Nice last year i seem to remember
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Getting lots of question why AC attacked and dropped Kloden. I still haven't figured it out either. Oh well.

Wow, that really is pathetic. The yellow jersey is supposed to tow domestiques to the finish now? Funny, I thought it was the other way around.
  • Le Commentateur
    edited July 2009
    PeteinSQ wrote:
    Wiggins is going to have an amazing TT to get in the top three at the end of the day tomorrow. Plus we can all see what is going to happen on the ventoux.

2 minutes maximum was the deficit he could allow today. Even then that would mean taking at least 4 seconds per km (and if possible much more) out of the Schlecks.
  • FJS
    edited July 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    Time limit = 41 minutes. GO KENNY... oh. Damnit.

The slow bus with Cav is still not in

*edit* : they are now, with a couple of minutes to spare
  • Cumulonimbus
    Evans at 29:43. For those who like to wildly speculate (not me honest :oops: ) he finished amongst Cervelo riders.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    afx237vi wrote:

Wow, that really is pathetic. The yellow jersey is supposed to tow domestiques to the finish now? Funny, I thought it was the other way around.

With teammates like these guys who needs opponents... I bet Bertie can't wait to get away from the lot of them
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I hope Cav makes it. He's taken a bashing on here in the last few days but I, for one, would still love to see him make Paris and contest the Champs Elysee sprint.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Cumulonimbus
    158 riders in so far but no van Hummel. Kirchen ended up sixth last in the same group as the whole of Clumbia bar Monfort and Hincapie.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I heard van hummel had fallen and quit
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    thing is after bertie went you could tell he was concerned Klodi had been dropped. According to his post race he says he was unhappy as he asked him before he went and klodi said he could go, that he is good friends with him and wanted him to get the stage win.

If its true and thats what klodi said I can't see how the rest of the team can be too annoyed, unless levi was commenting that Klodi not being able to keep with them lost it for himself? I just presumed he was criticising contador.

That sounds like a fair interpretation.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    Kléber wrote:
    GC

1. CONTADOR Alberto 21 ASTANA 72h 27' 09"
    2. SCHLECK Andy 31 TEAM SAXO BANK 72h 29' 35" + 02' 26"
    3. SCHLECK Frank 36 TEAM SAXO BANK 72h 30' 34" + 03' 25"
    4. ARMSTRONG Lance 22 ASTANA 72h 31' 04" + 03' 55"
    5. KLÖDEN Andréas 23 ASTANA 72h 31' 53" + 04' 44"
    6. WIGGINS Bradley 58 GARMIN - SLIPSTREAM 72h 32' 02" + 04' 53"
    7. NIBALI Vincenzo 95 LIQUIGAS 72h 32' 18" + 05' 09"

well bard lance and kloden head back towards the podiu in the TT but yo yo back off on he ventoux... i guess

good stage. i can't see wiggins beating Lance by a minute in the TT.

Lance has a reasonable chance of the podium...

shame about wiggo eh... had a dam good shot at it....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Le Commentateur
    edited July 2009
    Magnus Backstedt is the epitome of wishfull thinking. Get him on ITV4! Wiggins is out of the top 5 in Paris.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2009
    Jens will be pleased with the sucessful day for Saxo.
  • Le Commentateur
    158 riders in so far but no van Hummel. Kirchen ended up sixth last in the same group as the whole of Clumbia bar Monfort and Hincapie.

Van Hummel crashed on the descent to Sallanches and quit the race.
  • Nice to see an old-fashioned mountains day with people actually attacking before the last climb.

Van Hummel crashed on a decent & retired I think (pity).