Cavendish "racist"

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:

I can't be ars*d. Enjoy your thread.

I just posted a link to an article for discussion. You have dismissed it outright but won't provide a reason.

I'm just curious why you'd think you'd know what happened?

It's called a discussion.

I'll freely admit i've no idea what happens in the autobus, having never been there. I'm happy to rely on newspaper reporting to get my information, but I'll need a bit more to go on (as I explained above) to believe something about Cav, Armstrong, or Mattheiu Sprick than that.

However, I would expect that a fair bit of banter and abuse goes on in there, as it does in every bunch i've ever been in. I've taken it and i've dished it out. All forgotten about afterwards.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • doddy178
    doddy178 Posts: 66
    There may have been words but let's think on this some more.

Yesterday = Bastille Day
    Who won on Bastille day? Oh right...
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    doddy178 wrote:

Yesterday = Bastille Day

Very good point, well put
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    doddy178 wrote:

Yesterday = Bastille Day

But this happened in the autobus which was on the weekend.

If there was something in it, would people's opinions change? After all he remains

a) British
    b) a winner

I blame the state of the race for stories like this coming out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    To be fair Iain, I admire him for his sprinting, not his politics. I don't really care if he called a frenchman something nasty in the autobus... I'm sure they've done the same. Likewise, what goes on in the brains of the professional peloton, after tactics, isn't something I have a particular view on. None of my business.

I can't see how anyone could be a professional cyclist and sustain a genuine xenophobia, given the pretty international circles you must mix in.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    It's not the kind of headlines Columbia need.

Unless the all white thing is supposed to look like the KKK :wink:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    iainf72 - Cue the lawyers and be prepared to defend a defamation / libel action.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • iainf72
    dilemna wrote:
    OP- Cue the lawyers and be prepared to defend a defamation / libel action.

Who's libeled who?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    anyway, they DO eat cheese, they DID surrender that time and a lot of them are hairy and resemble monkeys (even the garcons!), ne pas?

Surely by 'surrender that time' you actually meant 'surrendered those times'

:P :twisted: :P

But then again they do have great contryside, hot women, and a great little bike race.

Kind regards,

Jeremy C
  • dilemna
    iainf72 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Who's libeled who?

You on Cavendish :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Well, he is friends with Lance -- so there you go. All bets are off.

At least this thread is funny. "Cav called the french frogs."

Oh my!
  • iainf72
    dilemna wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Who's libeled who?

When? Can you give an example from this thread?
  • disgruntledgoat
    dougzz wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    anyway, they DO eat cheese, they DID surrender that time and a lot of them are hairy and resemble monkeys (even the garcons!), ne pas?

Surely by 'surrender that time' you actually meant 'surrendered those times'

:P :twisted: :P

To be fair, I've been to their national war museum and it informs me that it was De Gaulle who masterminded the allied victory and that the resistance "fatally weakened" the Germans prior to D-Day... Presumably with ever more outlandish plots involving sausages and paintings.

Which reminds me, perchance, is Cav's crime cycling along side them saying "good moaning, i was p1ssing by when nooticed etc etc"?

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    This thread is turning a bit ugly. If you return to my response on the first page you'll find the source of this: media access, not daft opinions.
  • dilemna
    iainf72 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Who's libeled who?

When? Can you give an example from this thread?

Title and your OP plus your subsequent remarks alleging "He's practically Nick Griffin "
    More than enough.
  • iainf72
    dilemna wrote:

Title and your OP plus your subsequent remarks alleging "He's practically Nick Griffin "
    More than enough.

They were all done in a jokey manner. I'm sure most people figured that out.

It's not like I just called him a racist - As a matter of fact, I don't believe I ever seriously hinted that was my opinion. I said he might have said something inappropriate based on his previous form.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I heard that Cavendish said “F*cking Frenchies” (although I too imagine he really said ‘Frogs’) and that he also called France “A sh*tty land”.
    Amongst those who found his remarks insulting weren’t just French riders but also one not directly involved, Australian-German Haussler.
    It’s just a matter of semantics whether certain remarks or phrases are racist or xenophobic, how they're defined doesn’t reduce their insult value.

If your best mate is black or from Poland and you refer to him without malice or superiority as Sambo or Polak, well okay, nothing wrong, but to more generally use these terms (or Frogs, Krauts, Wogs and so on) often shows a lack of respect to the group of people referred to. And Cav's choice of adjectives wasn't exactly well thought out either. But you can even insult foreigners without using such terms and word, as some posters here manage to do.

And incidentally, not all French in the gruppetto are white (as someone wrote), Saïd Haddou is of Arab origin,
    and Manxmen aren’t Scousers who could swim (as someone else wrote), rather some Scousers are Manxmen who could swim - in the mid-1800s, many Manx ’emigrated’ to Liverpool.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Kléber wrote:
    This thread is turning a bit ugly. If you return to my response on the first page you'll find the source of this: media access, not daft opinions.

So what, it's a way to pass the time.
  • dilemna
    iainf72 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

More than enough.

They were all done in a jokey manner. I'm sure most people figured that out.

It's not like I just called him a racist - As a matter of fact, I don't believe I ever seriously hinted that was my opinion. I said he might have said something inappropriate based on his previous form.

Not much. Alleged inappropriate comments as you put it, if indeed he did say them at all, are a long way from being a racist as others have tried to point out to you but you have still persisted with malicious insinuations camparing Cavendish to Nick Griffin leader of the BNP!

Well once you publicly besmirch someone's reputation jokingly or not with unsubstantiated remarks, repeating / republishing others' alleged statements which may not be true, adding 2 + 2 to make 4 then you are on a sticky wicket. I'm surprised the mods have allowed this thread to continue given it's title and content. Their rules on defamatory posts are quite clear. If I were Cav I'd be talking with a lawyer as remarks such as yours can be very damaging to one's image and reputation if they are false anyone who republishes them can also be pursued. Damages in defamation cases can be huge. I would take down/edit your post as a matter of urgency.
  • iainf72
    dilemna wrote:
    Not much. Alleged inappropriate comments as you put it, if indeed he did say them at all, are a long way from being a racist as others have tried to point out to you but you have still persisted with malicious insinuations camparing Cavendish to Nick Griffin leader of the BNP!

Did you read the article? Here's a couple of quotes

French Tour riders slam 'racist' Cavendish

and

"Cavendish is racist, he's anti-French," said one rider.

I was just talking about it and making a couple of jokey comments on it.

AFP publishing these remarks are far more siginicant than what I've said, would you not agree?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,483
    dilemna wrote:

Well once you publicly besmirch someone's reputation jokingly or not with unsubstantiated remarks, repeating / republishing others' alleged statements which may not be true, adding 2 + 2 to make 4 then you are on a sticky wicket. I'm surprised the mods have allowed this thread to continue given it's title and content. Their rules on defamatory posts are quite clear. If I were Cav I'd be talking with a lawyer as remarks such as yours can be very damaging to one's image and reputation if they are false anyone who republishes them can also be pursued. Damages in defamation cases can be huge. I would take down/edit your post as a matter of urgency.
    Are you for real?

Even the crustiest high court judge would recognise that Iain's comments were made in a light hearted manner and are not accusations.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I thought I'd read this topic, hoping to find some insight into the Equipe story. Unfortunately I was badly mistaken :?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    "Somebody said that Iain said something to somebody and it wasn't very nice" same thing.

And they'd be right. I never say anything nice :wink:

That's a fair point I suppose.

He's also been slacking off in the autobus. He's practically Nick Griffin :P

What, are you trying to imply that Cav is a homosexual? :lol:
  • afx237vi
    Boulting: "People said this uphill finish wouldn't suit you."

Cavendish: "What, who said that, foreign people?"

WTF? :?:
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I find it quite amazing how quickly people have turned on cav now they feel its boring because he is that good. About two years ago everyone was having a go because he didn't do interviews so well after a race and came across as a moron, then as he got a bit better last year people seemed right behind him....

Now however. We are a weird bunch us brits.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    Boulting: "People said this uphill finish wouldn't suit you."

Cavendish: "What, who said that, foreign people?"

WTF? :?:

Ahhhhhhh, "forum people", as in us nerds. Right. Never mind.
  • Cav has just said on France 2 TV that he likes the French and France, and having spoken to some French riders this morning, there's no problem. He said "the media have no doping to report, so are creating stories elsewhere..."
    "Tyres down on your bicycle, your nose feels like an icicle"
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    French people complaining about trivialities? No!!! It can't be!!!

French people are whiny. That's a fact. And you can't criticize me for saying that, because I'm French. kinda. French Canadian.

Anyways, I'm sure Cavendish can say some pretty nasty stuff in the pack when he's got his game face on. That goes with being a sprinter. Cipo, anyone? I'm also sure that, if a French rider hears a "F'ing Frenchies", he'll take it personal. Really personal. If a reporter then asks that rider what he thinks about Cavendish, he's sure to mouth out about it. And then we get three pages of this historic/legal nonsense on a forum. Really, apart from a whiny Frenchman and an opportunistic journalist, there is nothing to this story.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    drenkrom wrote:
    apart from a whiny Frenchman and an opportunistic journalist, there is nothing to this story.

Oooooh, he's having a go at the journalists now, stone him!!!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Cav has just said on France 2 TV that he likes the French and France, and having spoken to some French riders this morning, there's no problem. He said "the media have no doping to report, so are creating stories elsewhere..."

Hopefully thats the end of it. Lets not forget that Cav equalled Barry Hoban's record of tour stage wins today. Pretty impressive for a young man. We should be proud of him even if he is a bit of a prickly character at the moment. Not that I find that a problem personally. Thats just the way he is. I don't find him to be rude...just a bit full of himself.

Get in there Cav, keep notching up those wins. I'd love to see him in green in Paris.