Cavendish "racist"

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2009 in Pro race
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15072009/ ... ndish.html

Woo hoo, someones going to lamp him at last :wink:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,483
    Someone needs to explain racism to the mystery rider I think. Insulting someone's nationality is not necessarily a racist act.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Xenophobic, surely? Ypu can't be racist towards the French - they're white (well, in the Grupetto anyway).

Unless Manxmen aren't Caucasian. Me, I just think they're the Scousers who could swim

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    No, it's xenophobic really.

Can I call him a "manx troll" now without fear of reprisal?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    andyp wrote:
    Someone needs to explain racism to the mystery rider I think. Insulting someone's nationality is not necessarily a racist act.

at the risk of being flammed here... but what do you expect? The average pro rider isn't exactly Einstein.. These guys are footballers on two wheels
    www.dotcycling.com
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    ""Cavendish is racist, he's anti-French," said one rider."

Not precisely the same thing, surely? OTOH, the French should know - ask any non-white immigrant in that country.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    What offensive anti french words are there? :? Frog is hardly LFGSS language is it?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ah, unattributed quotes? It's a phoney story cooked up by L'Equipe.

When the plane was late for the transfer flight the other day they claim he said "f#*king Frenchies" but I've never heard a Brit describe a Frenchman as a "frenchie", the term "frenchie" is used by the French to describe themselves, they THINK this is the term the British and Americans use to describe them.

The real story is that Cavendish isn't talking much to the French media and when he does, out come the usual on-message "my team, my bike is fast, my shoe supplier etc" speeches. Things took a turn for the worse because the L'Equipe are not getting much access. Yesterday they wanted an interview, came to the hotel and... were given Mark Renshaw to talk to. A quick bit of PR from Columbia and an "exclusive interview" will sooth things very quickly.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    What will they do, boycott him at their lunch troughs?

Typical crap journalism, no identified quotes, no specifics.

Earlier today speaking on condition of anonymity one rider accused another of being consistently too fast. He went on to say "He's racist, he constantly cycles away from us at the finish simply because he's faster, by this action alone he shows no respect for us as Frenchmen."

C'est la vie
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    So nobody would put their name to it, or intimate what he said...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    andyp wrote:

ATAN, France (AFP) - Briton Mark Cavendish has been accused of using racist language against some of the host riders at the Tour de France, according to L'Equipe newspaper Wednesday.

But some French riders claim to have also been racially insulted by the 24-year-old, who claimed his third stage from this year's race Tuesday when he won at Issoudun to take his career tally to seven.

Speaking anonymously to L'Equipe for fear of tactical reprisals by Cavendish and his Columbia team, the riders said they have just about had enough.

"Cavendish is racist, he's anti-French," said one rider.

Definition of racist according to Oxford dictionary:
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Andyp - do you know what Cav said? If not, how can you determine if it was a racist remark?
  • iainf72
    Why is it such a stretch to think he might have said something inappropriate? This is the guy who told a journalist he had "nothing to learn" because things hadn't gone his way.

If he was suffering in the mountains perhaps his media training would've slipped and his ugly side may have slipped out?
  • disgruntledgoat
    It's not a stretch it's just if I read a story about you Ian, saying that you'd been very very naughty but refusing to reveal who accused you or what, specifically, you were supposed to have done i'd probably be disinclined to believe it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I've heard Brits use the term Fucking Frenchie, I've used it. Usually in exasperation at them blocking the ports or some other stereotypically French behaviour. I have no problem with the French, it's just a lazy joke, like Brits having bad teeth.

Also, French is a nationality not a race. Retard. (now that is offensive, but not to the French, though it is directed at a Frenchman).
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    The Isle of Man rider is considered the world's fastest road sprinter, however his "arrogance", according to the report, is increasingly annoying more of the local riders in the peloton.

From the nation that brought us Eric Cantona? :shock:

Massive dose of salt needed whenever a journalist quotes an "unidentified source", they're just trying to make a story.

Personally I think it's great that we have a sportsman who can display such self-confidence bordering on arrogance, he's building up his own hype so he HAS to back it up.

After seeing big Thor in his wake yesterday I can't wait to see Cav in green crossing the line first on the Champs!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Kléber wrote:
    Ah, unattributed quotes? It's a phoney story cooked up by L'Equipe.

When the plane was late for the transfer flight the other day they claim he said "f#*king Frenchies" but I've never heard a Brit describe a Frenchman as a "frenchie", the term "frenchie" is used by the French to describe themselves, they THINK this is the term the British and Americans use to describe them.

The real story is that Cavendish isn't talking much to the French media and when he does, out come the usual on-message "my team, my bike is fast, my shoe supplier etc" speeches. Things took a turn for the worse because the L'Equipe are not getting much access. Yesterday they wanted an interview, came to the hotel and... were given Mark Renshaw to talk to. A quick bit of PR from Columbia and an "exclusive interview" will sooth things very quickly.

Cav is so bloody boring like that. He must be a sponsor's delight with all the overt moves for phones and sunglasses and what have you. Reminds me of a F1 driver after the race switching hats several times during a single interview and twisting his massively oversized Swiss wrist clock. I suppose that he's just trying to do right by those that pay him but it all seems very tacky.

Vive la Frogs. I've been pleased to see them picking up a couple of stages and having a better tour. Must be good for the Le Tour to spark home interest with some success.
  • iainf72
    Speaking to L'Equipe under anonymity for fear of tactical reprisals by Cavendish and his Columbia team during the July 4-26 race, the riders said they have just about had enough
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Trash non story. Ignore.
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    iainf72 wrote:
    This is the guy who told a journalist he had "nothing to learn" because things hadn't gone his way.

That's not an entirely accurate description of the exchange or the circumstances, is it? I recall the interview, and just tried searching to see if I could find it on the internet. However, the only thing google could find was this from September 2008.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 74aa3fbd16

Iainf72 - you've really got a thing going for Cavendish, haven't you??!
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • iainf72
    Trash non story. Ignore.

How do you know?
  • iainf72

Iainf72 - you've really got a thing going for Cavendish, haven't you??!

Not really. Don't like him much but recognise him as fastest sprinter.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    Trash non story. Ignore.

How do you know?

Because it's Cav that's why.

But if it was a certain American we were talking about, then treat is like Gospel.
  • disgruntledgoat
    iainf72 wrote:
    Speaking to L'Equipe under anonymity for fear of tactical reprisals by Cavendish and his Columbia team during the July 4-26 race, the riders said they have just about had enough

So what did he say? Without that I can just as easily make up anything I like about you.

"Somebody said that Iain said something to somebody and it wasn't very nice" same thing.

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    "Somebody said that Iain said something to somebody and it wasn't very nice" same thing.

And they'd be right. I never say anything nice :wink:

That's a fair point I suppose.

He's also been slacking off in the autobus. He's practically Nick Griffin :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    iainf72 wrote:

So what did he say? Without that I can just as easily make up anything I like about you.

Did he?

Mods, please ban Iain.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    iainf72 wrote:
    Trash non story. Ignore.

How do you know?

I can't be ars*d. Enjoy your thread.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    edited July 2009
    Kléber wrote:
    they claim he said "f#*king Frenchies" but I've never heard a Brit describe a Frenchman as a "frenchie", the term "frenchie" is used by the French to describe themselves, they THINK this is the term the British and Americans use to describe them.

Quite. It'd be "frogs", surely.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    iainf72 wrote:
    He's also been slacking off in the autobus.

just out of curiosity, how do you do this ? surely the gruppetto is just a big group of guys all suffering at the same speed, is it that he doesn't take turns on the front?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • iainf72

I can't be ars*d. Enjoy your thread.

I just posted a link to an article for discussion. You have dismissed it outright but won't provide a reason.

I'm just curious why you'd think you'd know what happened?

It's called a discussion.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    anyway, they DO eat cheese, they DID surrender that time and a lot of them are hairy and resemble monkeys (even the garcons!), ne pas?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    If the French interviewed Jeremy Clarkson they may have something to complain about :D