"victory salutes" by Cavendish

1235»

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    So was todays (yet another) celebration acceptable to the armchair critics? :roll:

Cheers for the spoiler! :evil:

Sorry for that! Completely forgot, my bag. Sorry.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    csp wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    On the Champs-Elysees I bet he'll unclip his feet from the pedals then lie with his stomach on the saddle in a superman pose with his legs outstretched behind him.

He'll then get overtaken right on the line By Tom Boonen and Heinrich Haussler.

_44574894_markcavendish.jpg

Tom would love to see that happen, wouldn't he?

That's exactly why I picked Boonen (08 Scheldeprijs) and Haussler (09 MSR) ;)
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    It's a fair point, at least Cav waits until he is sure he has won before celebrating... Another view of Boonen there:

boonen%20too%20early.jpg
  • Kléber wrote:
    He's great. I can remember many years when there wasn't one British rider in the race, now there's one and he's unrivalled and people are nitpicking!

If you think he's arrogant, listen to today's ITV podcast and Cav's praise for his team, that's humility talking. Don't confuse confidence with arrogance, there's a fine line sometimes.
    +1

Its a sprinter's job to be a bit of a prima dona and be a bit flamboyant....look at chippo and mcewen for example.... or abduwhatshisface for utter nutter factor..... in all seriousness it is.... he gets maximum exposure for his sponsors in the media .... its professionalism...

how often do we get to celebrate such winningness in a british rider? the guy has already a star and is a legend in the making - good luck to him....
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Kléber wrote:
    He's great. I can remember many years when there wasn't one British rider in the race, now there's one and he's unrivalled and people are nitpicking!

If you think he's arrogant, listen to today's ITV podcast and Cav's praise for his team, that's humility talking. Don't confuse confidence with arrogance, there's a fine line sometimes.
    +1

Its a sprinter's job to be a bit of a prima dona and be a bit flamboyant....look at chippo and mcewen for example.... or abduwhatshisface for utter nutter factor..... in all seriousness it is.... he gets maximum exposure for his sponsors in the media .... its professionalism...

how often do we get to celebrate such winningness in a british rider? the guy has already a star and is a legend in the making - good luck to him....

For which one needs style.
    See the problem?
  • avalon wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

+1

See the problem?
    See the style? - no? i do... not saying i'm right.. all subjective mate.
  • avalon
    avalon wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

+1

See the problem?

Mate?
    You a friend of this Cavendish chappy per chance?
  • avalon wrote:
    avalon wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

+1

See the problem?

Mate?
    you have asked me two questions, the first of which is either rhetorical or ambiguous so if you genuinely want an answer please be clearer. the answer to the second question is no although im not sure why you thought that - reading between the lines you could be implying that by my support for him i must his friend, alternatively, it could related to me using the word mate (which I am now regretting, and which was intended to be friendly and directed towards you)...

alternatively, I could be suffering from paranoia - which of these is it? or am i totally off the mark?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dilemna wrote:
    orant one at that.

Everybody views their own opinion as being right you are no different from me in that respect, as for being ignorant i think he is an asshole you dont end of...........move on ......there is nothing to see here folks ![/quote]

MG - If only you were giving an opinion instead of unpleasant abuse :( .

Just how do you celebrate your cycling victories? Have you had any? What have you achieved in your bitter and twisted life :roll: ?[/quote]

My opinion is what it is if you dont like it then tough sh*t really ,as for the rest of your child like waffle it doesnt deserve a response.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Moray Gub wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    orant one at that.

Everybody views their own opinion as being right you are no different from me in that respect, as for being ignorant i think he is an asshole you dont end of...........move on ......there is nothing to see here folks !

MG - If only you were giving an opinion instead of unpleasant abuse :( .

Just how do you celebrate your cycling victories? Have you had any? What have you achieved in your bitter and twisted life :roll: ?[/quote]

My opinion is what it is if you dont like it then tough sh*t really ,as for the rest of your child like waffle it doesnt deserve a response.[/quote]00good response Murray :)
  • avalon
    avalon wrote:
    avalon wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

+1

See the problem?

Mate?
    you have asked me two questions, the first of which is either rhetorical or ambiguous so if you genuinely want an answer please be clearer. the answer to the second question is no although im not sure why you thought that - reading between the lines you could be implying that by my support for him i must his friend, alternatively, it could related to me using the word mate (which I am now regretting, and which was intended to be friendly and directed towards you)...

alternatively, I could be suffering from paranoia - which of these is it? or am i totally off the mark?

See what you did there?
    Made I larf that did.
  • Whats the story Guys.Its not often i 'd turn down the chance to Brit bash :lol: when it comes to the way you build up your sporting hero's but this is incredible. You have someone who is genuinely the fastest guy in the peloton and so many want to bitch about him.
    For years you've built up people in sports and proclaimed them as 'The Best In the World' only for them to crash and burn when the heat is on,Cav has done it now in Gts 2 years in a row.
    Why do so many expect him to have a to live up to the long dead sterotypical picture of the Honourable British Gentleman'. S Roche is talking about 20 years ago the world has changed. Cavs 24, let him be a young Lad. He could be around for a few years and will probably mellow with time.
    Enjoy a true British Cycling Superstar while you have him.
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whats the story Guys.Its not often i 'd turn down the chance to Brit bash :lol: when it comes to the way you build up your sporting hero's but this is incredible. You have someone who is genuinely the fastest guy in the peloton and so many want to ***** about him.
    For years you've built up people in sports and proclaimed them as 'The Best In the World' only for them to crash and burn when the heat is on,Cav has done it now in Gts 2 years in a row.
    Why do so many expect him to have a to live up to the long dead sterotypical picture of the Honourable British Gentleman'. S Roche is talking about 20 years ago the world has changed. Cavs 24, let him be a young Lad. He could be around for a few years and will probably mellow with time.
    Enjoy a true British Cycling Superstar while you have him.

I am British but I wholeheartedly agree...
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Indeed. Would I rather have this?

cav_cell_stage_3.jpg

Or this?

16_tim_henman_294x450.jpg

Just watched the highlights from Stage 11 again on Eurosport. Frankly, I think Cavendish is phenomenal.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Indeed. Would I rather have this?

cav_cell_stage_3.jpg

Or this?

16_tim_henman_294x450.jpg

Just watched the highlights from Stage 11 again on Eurosport. Frankly, I think Cavendish is phenomenal.

Great to see Cavendish do incrediby well in the Tour afain, but why always the ridiclously negativity towards Henman. Henman made the very best of what talents he had, numerous Wimbledon semi-finals, he simply wasn't good enough to make the top step.

He was however the best Brit at Wimbledon for many a generation, Murray looks like he has the game to go further, time will tell.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Cav is very unusual in that he (a) thinks hard about pleasing his sponsors (b) gives interesting honest interviews in plain English without spouting overly diplomatic boring PR waffle. To manage that combo is rare, and to do it at such an early age is very professional and shows brains and strength of character. I reckon his critics are just jealous. He's 24 with the world at his feet. My only criticism is that some of his teeth are a bit yellow.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It's the Tour -- they're stained to match the kit.
  • They'd be green though surely?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I see no comment about his victory celebration from yesterday, I take it this was seen as an acceptable celebration by the assembled critics? And therefore not worthy of mention?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • mmitchell88
    edited July 2009
    Great to see Cavendish do incrediby well in the Tour afain, but why always the ridiclously negativity towards Henman.

All I did was link to a picture of the guy. Poor Tim. Even his image is regarded as a pejorative statement!
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
  • mmitchell88
    Eurostar wrote:
    Cav is very unusual in that he (a) thinks hard about pleasing his sponsors (b) gives interesting honest interviews in plain English without spouting overly diplomatic boring PR waffle. To manage that combo is rare, and to do it at such an early age is very professional and shows brains and strength of character. I reckon his critics are just jealous. He's 24 with the world at his feet. My only criticism is that some of his teeth are a bit yellow.

Excellent post. Now if only Cav's mouth looked like this...

babd1735475bdcaa19f5a83024a830c0.jpg