"victory salutes" by Cavendish

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    deejay wrote:
    Ah well there is more to come it seems.
    You've seen 3 so far and he says he would like 6 this year.
    The big one to make up for last years disapointment is his determination to try to win Paris this year.
    Cavendish is only going to be the super sprinter for a short while (where's Robbie) and have you seen any sign of these other riders being offended as they pat him on the back or shake his hand for a good win. ????
    I couldn't care less if he sticks the Index Finger in the sky and none of what he has done is half as revolting as armstrong's signaling to his God Almighty.

What this one? (because I can't remember another). Why on earth was that revolting?

_40631420_armstrong270.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    All great winners in all sports have to have an air of confidence/arrogance/up their own arsedness - Casius Clay (he even changed his name), 'Magic' Johnson, Michael Schumacher, Mike Tyson, etc.

If Murray had actually lived up to the hype and won Wimbledon, would the British public have sneered if he'd jumped the net, climbed the hoardings and crowd surfed? I doubt it. The difference is Cav wins partly because of his belief in himself. Thor Hushvod (no slouch himself) admitted today that Cav is the fastest in the world and if he goes first then he knows he's not going to catch him.

It's the British way - better to take part gracefully and lose, rather than win and stick it up them. That's why we're so sh!t at most sports.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    U lot need to listen to yourself... i can not believe people are dissing one of our biggest talents. Why shouldn't he celebrate? he can do anything he wants to. He ALWAYS says he can't do it without his team, yet i'm not sure many of the other big names would have his success even with his train. They simply can't live with his acceleration...

Being the type of rider he is, he needs to have the temperament he has, The killer instinct, the complete belief in himself. Look at all great football strikers. 99% of them have that same ruthless streak running through them.

He has never showed any disrespect to any of his other rivals. The only touch of arrogance he has displayed is when he accused some riders of riding like juniors, but again it was one of his heat of the moment comments, and who knows, perhaps they were riding in that way.

I feel he's getting a backlash because he has no competition. he can only beat whoever's in front of him. Or behind! :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cav is cool
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    You get the chance to see one of the most dominant road sprinters you'll ever see in action and all some can do is moan. :roll:

Would you rather have mediocrity?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Pokerface wrote:
    Some of you big girl's blouses on here as a whiney and pathetic as Cav is fast.

"Oh nooooooo. That big, bad Cavendish fellow celebrated AGAIN after winning another stage in the biggest bike race in the world. What a big meanie!"

FFS. Grow a set or turn in your man cards.

permission to have an alternative opinion ?
    permission granted..............he is an asshole end of
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    edited July 2009
    andyp wrote:
    You get the chance to see one of the most dominant road sprinters you'll ever see in action and all some can do is moan. :roll:

You have the opportunity to see one of the most dominant stage race riders youll ever see in action and all some can do is moan :roll:

Would you rather have mediocrity ?
  • andyp
    I hear he has a high opinion of you MG. :wink:
  • Double_B
    Double_B Posts: 3
    Ok I see, now people want Cav to go over the line hands still on the bars, go to post race press conference apologising profusely to his fellow pro's for winning another sprint.

Look if I was winning races in the biggest bike race in the world I would be giving it loads as well, what is wrong with celebrating??

If you guys who don't watch the highlights if you know he's won miss out on him waiting & looking for the other 8 riders in his team to congratulate and thank them all personally, then in the interviews go on about how the team took him to the line, how they did all the hard work.

Posts like a lot on this thread make me ashamed to be British, typical tabloid mentalities, secretly wanting people to fail then moaning that they are not good enough to win!!
  • moray_gub
    [quote="Double_B"
    Posts like a lot on this thread make me ashamed to be British, typical tabloid mentalities, secretly wanting people to fail then moaning that they are not good enough to win!![/quote]

get a grip ffs
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

You have the opportunity to see one of the most dominant stage race riders youll ever see in action and all some can do is moan :roll:

But most of us are cheering Contador on! :wink:
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:

The not so subtle difference being that one is an outspoken critic of doping, the other an enforcer of omerta.

Anyway, Merckx and Hinault were dominant, Armstrong isn't fit to fetch their bottles.
  • Im not big fan of Cav although i am starting to warm to him. I do think a few of you guys need to pop a few happy pills and chillout a bit. So Cav does a few cheesy victory salutes big deal. I get the feeling if Cav just rode over the line climbed off his bike and just shook everyones hand you would slate him for been dull & boring.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    I hear he has a high opinion of you MG. :wink:

He can join the queue :D
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

The not so subtle difference being that one is an outspoken critic of doping, the other an enforcer of omerta.

Anyway, Merckx and Hinault were dominant, Armstrong isn't fit to fetch their bottles.

Maybe not but you win 7 Tours and you dominate end of
  • moray_gub
    edited July 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

But most of us are cheering Contador on! :wink:

Go back 12 months and only me and one or two others were doing that
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    RichN95 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Ah well there is more to come it seems.
    You've seen 3 so far and he says he would like 6 this year.
    The big one to make up for last years disapointment is his determination to try to win Paris this year.
    Cavendish is only going to be the super sprinter for a short while (where's Robbie) and have you seen any sign of these other riders being offended as they pat him on the back or shake his hand for a good win. ????
    I couldn't care less if he sticks the Index Finger in the sky and none of what he has done is half as revolting as armstrong's signaling to his God Almighty.

What this one? (because I can't remember another). Why on earth was that revolting?

_40631420_armstrong270.jpg

THAT was Lance "paying hommage" to his deceased team mate Fabio Casartelli. He dedicated his stage win to him. Now that is class!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Fastlad wrote:

THAT was Lance "paying hommage" to his deceased team mate Fabio Casartelli. He dedicated his stage win to him. Now that is class!

I know that, but I was wondering why deejay found it so revolting.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    We finally have a class British rider in the Tour (not to mention Millar, Wiggins and Wegelius this year).

WHY ARE YOU MOANING?

He's young, he's the very best in the world at what he does, and I bet whoever brokered the phone sponsorship is thrilled. And he has manners- he always thanks his team-mates. And whatever he says, he backs it up. I've never met him-unlikely I ever will- but from everything I've read, he is confident, not arrogant.

Also, he's sexy.
  • moray_gub
    Tusher wrote:
    We finally have a class British rider in the Tour (not to mention Millar, Wiggins and Wegelius this year).

WHY ARE YOU MOANING?

He's young, he's the very best in the world at what he does, and I bet whoever brokered the phone sponsorship is thrilled. And he has manners- he always thanks his team-mates. And whatever he says, he backs it up. I've never met him-unlikely I ever will- but from everything I've read, he is confident, not arrogant.

Also, he's sexy.

As i see it nobody is denying his talent least of all me,he is a fantastic sprinter and will win lots more in his career but is that a reason for liking the persona he displays ? dont think so ........C .ronaldo is a great footballer but comes across as another fanny but hey ho each to their own.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    permission denied..............he is an asshole end of

Well - there is certainly ONE a-hole in this thread. But it isn't Cav.

Do you actually like anything or anyone?
  • moray_gub
    Pokerface wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Mmm so alternative opinions to yours are an anthema then i take it ?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Love it and I bet his sponsors do too. Chapeau Mr Cavendish. Long may his reign continue.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Fastlad
    No, cav is not sexy LOL!! Now, Mario Cipollini? he was a hit with the ladies but even he didn't fumble for glasses or imitate making a phonecall.

Cav...Wee man. If you're reading this, stop acting like wee tit and get on with winning sprints with some dignity and less of the stupidity. It doesn't suit you! It's cringeworthy :oops:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Mmm so alternative opinions to yours are an anthema then i take it ?

Nope - differing opinions are always welcome. But to say "he is an asshole end of" isn't an opinion so much as a unilateral declaration. And a pretty ignorant one at that.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Please stop moaning!

As has been said before, you've got someone to cheer for, who's actually a winner and the first thing you do is try to find faults. I wonder if Tim Henman cycles??? He's the kind of guy for you!

He's a young guy who's clearly enjoying winning. He puts the hard graft in, so he deserves it. Ok, the celebrations are not to everyone's taste but he's a character an a personality and actually stands out from a mass of relative unknowns. It's up to the others to catch him!

Also, he is always very humble when speaking of his team's contribution.

And let's be honest, sponsors are leaving the sport left right and centre - a bit of good press doesn't go amiss and they are the people who pay the bills at the end of the day.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    No, no- he isdef the sexiest man in the peloton.

I mean, so was Cipo in his day, but was a bit too flash for my tastes. Cav is a Celt, dark, passionate, his wee muscular legs and body, his blunt honesty, his staying power.....oooh, I could go on, but this is a family web site.

Linus, considered by many to be the sexiest, is just too nice IMO. Don't like men who have better hair than I do.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    If I was winning stages in the TDF I'd be crossing the finish line with my c0ck in my hand let alone my sunglasses.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • shannyla
    shannyla Posts: 28
    If I was winning with the speed and style of Cavendish I'd be sticking my hand down my shorts and pulling my knob out and waving it around...

The English have got the most f*@ked up relationship with their sports stars that I can imagine. Cavendish is a sprinter ffs, it's all about manly bullshit and attitude, ever seen an Olympic 100 metres final..?

And Deejay, you are a tosser for your attitude. Armstrong was dedicating a stage win to his tragically killed teammate, who'd only died two days before and if you hate Armstrong, a man I can almost guarantee you have never met, that much then you need to get out and get a life
  • Fastlad
    a_n_t wrote:
    If I was winning stages in the TDF I'd be crossing the finish line with my c0ck in my hand let alone my sunglasses.

That will probably be Cavs next move!! He probably w*nks himself to sleep every night with his green gloves on his green bed after he's ate his greens and had his green tea!!! :roll: