"victory salutes" by Cavendish

csp
csp Posts: 777
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Mark-Cavendish-001.jpg
1247586636725-1oe8y4vpszzh6-280-75.jpg

Does he get extra sponsorship money for this? It's worse than Conatodor's cowboy thing.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Apparently tomorrow he's going to thank Columbia's suppliers of saddle-sore ointments
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I'm looking forward to the wheelie.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Good post! Personally... Cav is now starting to get on my tits! I'd like to see him get a good whooping now! Humble he is not!! :roll:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    whatever..have seen them come and go, vanderaerden, plankart, Van Popel, Abdu, Cipo, Pettachi...and that glass cleaning thing was not cool....have some class Cavendish!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    And WHY should he be?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Fastlad wrote:
    Good post! Personally... Cav is now starting to get on my tits! I'd like to see him get a good whooping now! Humble he is not!! :roll:

Not me. I like the fact that a thread now exists to critique his victory celebrations - we now take it for granted he's going to spurt over the line first!!

I think he's really rather super. And I say that a) as a straight male and b) with no hint of irony.

Look, I know it sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not. I'm really not!
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Fastlad
    meagain wrote:
    And WHY should he be?

why? no reason except that it would be nice to see him sprint over the line without rubbing the other riders noses in it! As stephen roche said the other day when cav did the phone thing....there are riders fighting for wheels while cav farts about with stupid hand gestures!! (or words to that effect.) It's not big and it's not clever and it sure isn't cool. We never saw the great sean kelly or the superb erik zabel or robbie mcewan come away with any of that nonsense!!!
  • Kléber
    He's great. I can remember many years when there wasn't one British rider in the race, now there's one and he's unrivalled and people are nitpicking!

If you think he's arrogant, listen to today's ITV podcast and Cav's praise for his team, that's humility talking. Don't confuse confidence with arrogance, there's a fine line sometimes.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Given that cycling's been hemorrhaging cycling sponsors the last few years, isn't this a great thing for all of cycling? If one of the most dynamic cyclists, who is winning a LOT, puts the sponsor front and center on TV, the internet and in print/photos won't other potential sponsors start valuing a cycling sponsorship a bit higher?
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    Hmmm? A Sprinter being a touch arrogant...!

Can't see anything wrong with that myself.
  • Fastlad
    Don't mind me! [screws face up in a Albert Steptoe style]

...Baaaa
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    15 yrs from now you lot will be yakking on about the old times... "do you remember all those wacky victory salutes bingo use to make?..he was great"
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    You're all talking about him - his 'celebration' photos are everywhere.To me he is the model professional - he's realised he is there to get his sponsor 'airtime and column inches'. He's doing that by the bucket load.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Fastlad wrote:
    meagain wrote:
    And WHY should he be?

why? no reason except that it would be nice to see him sprint over the line without rubbing the other riders noses in it! As stephen roche said the other day when cav did the phone thing....there are riders fighting for wheels while cav farts about with stupid hand gestures!! (or words to that effect.) It's not big and it's not clever and it sure isn't cool. We never saw the great sean kelly or the superb erik zabel or robbie McEwen come away with any of that nonsense!!!

+1 as much as i lke Cav as a sprinter what he is doing is rubbing collective noses in the dirt . His ass will get whupped soon enough .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dave_1 wrote:
    whatever..have seen them come and go, vanderaerden, plankart, Van Popel, Abdu, Cipo, Pettachi...and that glass cleaning thing was not cool....have some class Cavendish!

I strongly advise you never to watch a football match - you'll have a heart attack.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tootler
    Tootler Posts: 53
    ... Cav is now starting to get on my tits! I'd like to see him get a good whooping now! Humble he is not!!

FFS...............he's a brit.....He's winning races, and love him or loath him he IS a personality and he is good for the sport and he is good for the sponsors.

And he is respectful for the efforts his team mates put in for him and acknowledges that without them he wouldn't be winning at the rate he is and he always says so when a mike is put in front of him. That is class.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tootler wrote:

FFS...............he's a brit.....He's winning races, and love him or loath him he IS a personality and he is good for the sport and he is good for the sponsors.

That's the point, he IS British. He's meant to try hard, come fourth and we can all say how plucky he was. He should leave that winning and celebrating to the Italians and Americans - it's so gauche.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Is it just me that really fails to see the problem? Just how is the phone or glasses thing offensive to other less talented pro's? Don't see it.
    When Usain Bolt does his victory celebrations everyone is oh look at him what a great showman and he's fantatsic for athletics! Whats the difference?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Sun Dodger
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Fastlad wrote:
    meagain wrote:
    And WHY should he be?

why? no reason except that it would be nice to see him sprint over the line without rubbing the other riders noses in it! As stephen roche said the other day when cav did the phone thing....there are riders fighting for wheels while cav farts about with stupid hand gestures!! (or words to that effect.) It's not big and it's not clever and it sure isn't cool. We never saw the great sean kelly or the superb erik zabel or robbie McEwen come away with any of that nonsense!!!

+1 as much as i lke Cav as a sprinter what he is doing is rubbing collective noses in the dirt . His ass will get whupped soon enough .

Very British "Build them up, then....." thing you have going here.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Sun Dodger wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Fastlad wrote:
    meagain wrote:
    And WHY should he be?

So i presume becuase he is British we have to like him and fawn over him is that how it goes then ? For me he is an A grade asshole who can sprint end of.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    He's not perfect but how many of us can imagine being 24 years old and winning three stages of the Tour de France. I tell you, I'd be wearing green socks and green helmet, in fact I'd be asking for a larger sized helmet as I'm sure my head would have got a size bigger :wink:
  • Sun Dodger
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Sun Dodger wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Fastlad wrote:
    meagain wrote:
    And WHY should he be?

So i presume becuase he is British we have to like him and fawn over him is that how it goes then ? For me he is an A grade asshole who can sprint end of.

Simple. You can have your sporting heroes pleasant, but not quite there (Henman, Bruno et al). Or maybe winners, but a bit less personable (Murray, Cav).

I know which I prefer.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Ah well there is more to come it seems.
    You've seen 3 so far and he says he would like 6 this year.
    The big one to make up for last years disapointment is his determination to try to win Paris this year.
    Cavendish is only going to be the super sprinter for a short while (where's Robbie) and have you seen any sign of these other riders being offended as they pat him on the back or shake his hand for a good win. ????
    I couldn't care less if he sticks the Index Finger in the sky and none of what he has done is half as revolting as armstrong's signaling to his God Almighty.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Fastlad
    GUYS!!!! C'mon, let's be honest....Cav is in danger of turning into the Naseen (i'm just toooo good) Hamed type of winner!! He's disappearing up his own arse quicker than Bertie dropping LA on the climb to Andorra!! He's a downright annoying little sh!t!! It's a MOT for Cav the cock!!
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Fastlad wrote:
    GUYS!!!! C'mon, let's be honest....Cav is in danger of turning into the Naseen (i'm just toooo good) Hamed type of winner!! He's disappearing up his own ars* quicker than Bertie dropping LA on the climb to Andorra!! He's a downright annoying little sh!t!! It's a MOT for Cav the fool!!

W

T

F
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Join my club - Record it, if Cavendish wins, don't watch it.

Then you don't get worked up by him.

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Some of you big girl's blouses on here as a whiney and pathetic as Cav is fast.

"Oh nooooooo. That big, bad Cavendish fellow celebrated AGAIN after winning another stage in the biggest bike race in the world. What a big meanie!"

FFS. Grow a set or turn in your man cards.
  • Sun Dodger
    Pokerface wrote:
    Some of you big girl's blouses on here as a whiney and pathetic as Cav is fast.

"Oh nooooooo. That big, bad Cavendish fellow celebrated AGAIN after winning another stage in the biggest bike race in the world. What a big meanie!"

FFS. Grow a set or turn in your man cards.

+1
  • Fastlad
    iainf72 wrote:
    Join my club - Record it, if Cavendish wins, don't watch it.

Then you don't get worked up by him.

:wink:

yep, i'm getting around to that idea, i even went for a shower tonight whe the highlights were on with the finish line in sight.....unfortunately i came back just as he was fumbling for his shades off his gargantuan heid!
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    FFS lay off.... The guy is young, winning, and having the time of his life. I think a lot of people round here have forgotten how to have fun !!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?