"victory salutes" by Cavendish

Comments

• chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I think it's superb we have a multiple british stage winner. I love his unabashed honesty, his sincere gratitude to his teammates and his total dedication to winning.

Picking at his celebrations is pretty lame. I'm sure he doesn't give a t*ss what the knockers on here think, and nor should he.

7 stages in 1.5 years already? That's quite an achievement isn't it?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    permission to have an alternative opinion ?
    permission denied..............he is an asshole end of

Well - there is certainly ONE a-hole in this thread. But it isn't Cav.

Do you actually like anything or anyone?

Mmm so alternative opinions to yours are an anthema then i take it ?

Nope - differing opinions are always welcome. But to say "he is an asshole end of" isn't an opinion so much as a unilateral declaration. And a pretty ignorant one at that.

Everybody views their own opinion as being right you are no different from me in that respect, as for being ignorant i think he is an asshole you dont end of...........move on ......there is nothing to see here folks !

MG - If only you were giving an opinion instead of unpleasant abuse :( .

Just how do you celebrate your cycling victories? Have you had any? What have you achieved in your bitter and twisted life :roll: ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    How very British of us to turn on a sportsman (or whoever) when het gets results.

I'd rather have a cocky winner than a polite loser.

And he's a professional cyclist, their primary duty (outside of the olympics) is to please their sponsors. We all understand that, don't we?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    dodgy wrote:
    How very British of us to turn on a sportsman (or whoever) when het gets results.

Do you have any examples of these 'winners' whom we've turned on? Just interested since this is a notion that's constantly wheeled out but I just dont see any evidence of it.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    csp wrote:
    I'm sorry to see this thread has turned into a pro/anti-Cavendish fight. I like him, and am happy to see him win, but these poses just ruin the joy I feel when he crosses the line. It is fake and I also think that the huggings and praises for teammates are just Columbia "standard procedures".

Yeah you're probably right. He doesn't appreciate them completely burying themselves one after the other for the last few km's, each one busting their balls to deliver him to the front at breakneck speed and in the number one position. Must Bob S insisting everyone gets a hug to help the team bonding.... Standard Proceedures my arse! I suppose the watches that he's bought for them as thank you's for their previous hard work are off the back of a lorry too..

The kid is genuine!
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    teagar wrote:
    I think it's the idea that his win is celebrated as a corporate win rather than a personal achievement that grates slightly. ...

Sure, you make sure the sponsor's name is seen, but I'd hope that "great for the sponsor" isn't the first thing that pops into the winner's head.

You want to see that the win to mean something to the rider, not just the sponsor.
    This is entirely it for me, I am glad to see him win but the victory salutes are very cheesy and for me they detract from the whole idea of the sporting competition to as Kléber says the idea he is just an employee doing his job. Saw an interview on one of the stages where he laid it out, he is a professional bike rider and his job is exposure for the sponsors. But that's not why we watch a bike race!

I know sponsors are essential and if at all possible you shouldn't be coming over the line like Feillu but I appreciate that sort of win more...

Brice-Feillu-001.jpg

No problem with any cylist celebrating, but Cav's are just coming across as very corporate. Still hope he wins in Paris and takes the green jersey... bonus points if Hushovd is in green starting the stage :)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Well to be fair, it's not only sportsmen or women, there is a general British phenomenon of not celebrating success (be it business, sport or whatever) in this country. I think it happens less in the US.

There are examples from TV (look how much he gets paid!!!! etc).

We've certainly made much of anti-heroes in Britain (Eddie the eagle ;) ). We're a nation of underdog supporters, that in itself is pretty admirable I reckon :)
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Brice-Feillu-001.jpg

I bet he got a bollocking for that too... :lol:
  • RichN95 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Ah well there is more to come it seems.
    You've seen 3 so far and he says he would like 6 this year.
    The big one to make up for last years disapointment is his determination to try to win Paris this year.
    Cavendish is only going to be the super sprinter for a short while (where's Robbie) and have you seen any sign of these other riders being offended as they pat him on the back or shake his hand for a good win. ????
    I couldn't care less if he sticks the Index Finger in the sky and none of what he has done is half as revolting as armstrong's signaling to his God Almighty.

What this one? (because I can't remember another). Why on earth was that revolting?

_40631420_armstrong270.jpg

i think that it's disgusting that you find that revolting. he does/did that in remembrance of his friend and team mate, and 1992 olympic road race champion, fabio casartelli, who tragically died on a mountain descent on the 1995 TDF. Armstrong is perfectly within his rights to remember his friend like that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Ah well there is more to come it seems.
    You've seen 3 so far and he says he would like 6 this year.
    The big one to make up for last years disapointment is his determination to try to win Paris this year.
    Cavendish is only going to be the super sprinter for a short while (where's Robbie) and have you seen any sign of these other riders being offended as they pat him on the back or shake his hand for a good win. ????
    I couldn't care less if he sticks the Index Finger in the sky and none of what he has done is half as revolting as armstrong's signaling to his God Almighty.

What this one? (because I can't remember another). Why on earth was that revolting?

_40631420_armstrong270.jpg

i think that it's disgusting that you find that revolting. he does/did that in remembrance of his friend and team mate, and 1992 olympic road race champion, fabio casartelli, who tragically died on a mountain descent on the 1995 TDF. Armstrong is perfectly within his rights to remember his friend like that.

I hope that by quoting me, you don't think I was sharing deejay's original views. I certainly wasn't. I knew exactly why Armstrong did that salute (more than once I believe) and I was trying to pull deejay up on what he probably thought was 'oh so cool' Armstrong bashing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I think the real question should be: what will he do today when he wins? 8)
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    Initially you had to love the arrogance and style...
    the phone gesture was funny and not in your face..
    the glasses gesture I thought made a mockery of his fellow riders....
    one word...tit
    nothing a slap or a whooping by another sprinter wouldn't fix, then it can be business as usual.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    intothe12 wrote:
    the glasses gesture I thought made a mockery of his fellow riders....

How?

none of the riders seem to be taking it like this, no-one twittering or whinging to the press about it.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    I can't believe he is getting any stick at all - give your heads a shake for christs sake.

If he keeps winning, the amount of kids on bikes that will start mimicking him, and possibly getting into cycling, will be significant.

He will do more to put British Cycling on the map than anyone else for a long time, especially road racing and not just track work.

Keep it up.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    You've got to look at the exposure he is getting and ask are some of the other teams missing a trick here?
    Backing a second rate GC "contender" and focussing your team on that will not garner you many headlines, Columbia HTC are second only to Astana in media coverage and they haven't even got a guy in with a realistic shot of winning the Tour.
    I'm surprised there aren't more teams built around sprinters.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • I suppose there aren't any other sprinters as good.
    Dan
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Yorkman wrote:
    I can't believe he is getting any stick at all - give your heads a shake for christs sake.

If he keeps winning, the amount of kids on bikes that will start mimicking him, and possibly getting into cycling, will be significant.

He will do more to put British Cycling on the map than anyone else for a long time, especially road racing and not just track work.

Keep it up.

Great - just what the world needs - a nation producing a herd of Cavs. :wink:
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

Keep it up.

Could be worse, could be raising a nation of second-rate, no-hopers who look like something out of Royston Vasey! :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    So was todays (yet another) celebration acceptable to the armchair critics? :roll:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    wicked wrote:
    So was todays (yet another) celebration acceptable to the armchair critics? :roll:

Cheers for the spoiler! :evil:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    wicked wrote:

Cheers for the spoiler! :evil:

:lol: unlucky. But really...you had to suspect that this thread might be the wrong one to be on on a day when he was expected to finish at the front! :lol:
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

Keep it up.

Could be worse, could be raising a nation of second-rate, no-hopers who look like something out of Royston Vasey! :wink:

Royston Vasey? But the only one in the peloton who looks like that... ...Ah. Yes. You're right.

:idea: Is that why the other riders have been a bunch of meanies to him over the last week?
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Fastlad wrote:
    We never saw the great sean kelly or the superb erik zabel or robbie McEwen come away with any of that nonsense!!!

WHAAAAT? Robbie McEwen was humble in his victory celebrations? :roll:

Don't you remember the running man? That was pure class, wasn't it? How about the chest pumping 100m after the line? Gentlemanly?

Sprinters are exuberant. If you've ever gone for the sprint in any kind of serious racing, you'll know about the massive dose of adrenaline that just has to burst out if you win. Some let out ungodly screams, like Hushovd, some look back to rub it in to the others, like Cipo, some have a sense of humour like Cav and McEwen. I'll take the light-heartedness, thank you very much.

You Brits seem to have the same trait we Canucks have. Whenever one of ours reaches too high a level, he has to be brought down to "human level".
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    On the Champs-Elysees I bet he'll unclip his feet from the pedals then lie with his stomach on the saddle in a superman pose with his legs outstretched behind him.

He'll then get overtaken right on the line By Tom Boonen and Heinrich Haussler.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Jeez what was his victory salute today then??? I'll have to tune into the highlights of....Cavs flat winning stage!! bloody circus :roll:
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    NapoleonD wrote:
    On the Champs-Elysees I bet he'll unclip his feet from the pedals then lie with his stomach on the saddle in a superman pose with his legs outstretched behind him.

Nice vision you have going there. 8)

Though if Boonen manages to get past him, things will be going very badly wrong.....
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Actually, I was just wondering what the Belgium press and forum (fori?) were saying about Tommeke's Tour.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    NapoleonD wrote:

_44574894_markcavendish.jpg

Tom would love to see that happen, wouldn't he?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Abdu would have dealt cav a few defeats...those elbows...it's going to take someone like that
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Tusher wrote:
    Actually, I was just wondering what the Belgium press and forum (fori?) were saying about Tommeke's Tour.
    Boonen's almost thrown in the towel. "I'm not good enough at the moment" he says.