"victory salutes" by Cavendish

Comments

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Tusher wrote:
    No, no- he isdef the sexiest man in the peloton.

Cav is a Celt, dark, passionate, his wee muscular legs and body, his blunt honesty, his staying power.....oooh, I could go on, but this is a family web site.

Huh??????

Stunned silence.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Fastlad wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    If I was winning stages in the TDF I'd be crossing the finish line with my c0ck in my hand let alone my sunglasses.

That will probably be Cavs next move!! He probably w*nks himself to sleep every night with his green gloves on his green bed after he's ate his greens and had his green tea!!! :roll:
    You're just green with envy. :)
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Fastlad wrote:
    No, cav is not sexy LOL!! Now, Mario Cipollini? he was a hit with the ladies but even he didn't fumble for glasses or imitate making a phonecall.

Cav...Wee man. If you're reading this, stop acting like wee tit and get on with winning sprints with some dignity and less of the stupidity. It doesn't suit you! It's cringeworthy :oops:

Jeez there's some reight nobheads on here.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    common - lay off Cav.

He is total dominant in the sprint finishes and the worst he can accused of is being slightly gauche in his victory celebrations.
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Next time big Hushovd wins, he should give the coffee bean shake! :twisted:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    shannyla wrote:
    If I was winning with the speed and style of Cavendish I'd be sticking my hand down my shorts and pulling my knob out and waving it around...

The English have got the most f*@ked up relationship with their sports stars that I can imagine. Cavendish is a sprinter ffs, it's all about manly bullshit and attitude, ever seen an Olympic 100 metres final..?

And Deejay, you are a tosser for your attitude. Armstrong was dedicating a stage win to his tragically killed teammate, who'd only died two days before and if you hate Armstrong, a man I can almost guarantee you have never met, that much then you need to get out and get a life

Les Anglais ..........what are they like eh !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Pokerface wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    permission to have an alternative opinion ?
    permission denied..............he is an asshole end of

Well - there is certainly ONE a-hole in this thread. But it isn't Cav.

Do you actually like anything or anyone?

Mmm so alternative opinions to yours are an anthema then i take it ?

Nope - differing opinions are always welcome. But to say "he is an asshole end of" isn't an opinion so much as a unilateral declaration. And a pretty ignorant one at that.

Everybody views their own opinion as being right you are no different from me in that respect, as for being ignorant i think he is an asshole you dont end of...........move on ......there is nothing to see here folks !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    pretty much all cyclists celebrate when crossing the line for a win, it's just Cav wins more than them. Don't see the problem, at all.

Here's Thor celebrating, how dare he?
    article-0-05A80D2C000005DC-769_468x464.jpg
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Just read his book and seeing many interviews I would say the guy is confident, assured of the abilities of him and his team but not really an arsehole. He does has something some brits bar notable exceptions (Rooney Murray etc) lack and thats a winner's attitude and passion, nowt wrong with that.

If I was HTC the picture of that stage win salute would be going on all the marketing stuff I can manage asap. Bet their marketing department is loving it and I don't think it would be a stretch if that suggestion didn't come from his team management, playing the game keeping the sponsors happy is an american way.

Proud of all the Brits on the tour this year but the only downer has been millar didn't get his reward for that fantastic effort into Barca the other day.

If he keeps winning some dominantly I am sure there will be a lot of Cav haters out there, tis the way of the world.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I think it's the idea that his win is celebrated as a corporate win rather than a personal achievement that grates slightly.

We're all aware that the riders race with the sponsors on their jersey for publicity etc, and winning certainly gives them more publicity, but we don't watch the racing for the sponsors, we watch them for the human achievements!

I certainly like to see riders really genuinely over the moon, so much so that they are thinking about their victory, and not the sponsor.

Sure, you make sure the sponsor's name is seen, but I'd hope that "great for the sponsor" isn't the first thing that pops into the winner's head.

You want to see that the win to mean something to the rider, not just the sponsor.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Eh? Don't virtually all stage winners zip up their jersey and sit up so you can read it? In the olden days before race radio, deep section rims, carbon frames, tri-bars, helmets etc I remember riders whipping their caps out and putting them on - see Robert Millar in 1984 for example. Was he a corporate whore? Cav is simply adding a dash of bravado to proceedings by making a telephone gesture in order to highlight the new sponsor of the team. Yesterday he made a nonchalant (albeit he fumbled a bit) inspecting-my-green-glasses-cos-everyone-else-is-miles-behind gesture. I thought they were both amusing. I didn't think it was overly corporate.

FFS you can't please some people. The bloke is virtually unbeatable, he's British, he's even getting himself and the Tour onto the BBC breakfast news sport segment including a bit of footage! He'd have to put a few feet wrong from here to get me disliking him.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

FFS you can't please some people. The bloke is virtually unbeatable, he's British, he's even getting himself and the Tour onto the BBC breakfast news sport segment including a bit of footage! He'd have to put a few feet wrong from here to get me disliking him.

Don't you think that in the longer term that will be a bad thing? He's certainly an awesome talent however knowing the result before the sprint takes place turns sprints into a boring procession.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    iainf72 wrote:

Don't you think that in the longer term that will be a bad thing? He's certainly an awesome talent however knowing the result before the sprint takes place turns sprints into a boring procession.

Yes, but its as though Cav is being blamed for his lack of competition. Until the other sprinters buck their ideas up and mount a challenge then he'll go on winning, but as i've said on here before, he can only beat whats in front of him.. If this is the reason people are being negative towards him then that really is a bit shameful...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:

He should probably give up now then to avoid damaging the sport further. Or ask the mechanics to put a compact on his bike every flat stage, with a 13 as his bottom sprocket.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Moomaloid
    edited July 2009
    Fastlad wrote:
    No, cav is not sexy LOL!! Now, Mario Cipollini? he was a hit with the ladies but even he didn't fumble for glasses or imitate making a phonecall.

Cav...Wee man. If you're reading this, stop acting like wee tit and get on with winning sprints with some dignity and less of the stupidity. It doesn't suit you! It's cringeworthy :oops:

No he just used to turn up dressed as a Roman Emperor in toga and gold headdress....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    As I've said, I'm not negative on him because he wins. That's because of how he comes across on TV and in his book. But that's just me. People can disagree - Not everyone has to like him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    iainf72 wrote:

He should probably give up now then to avoid damaging the sport further. Or ask the mechanics to put a compact on his bike every flat stage, with a 13 as his bottom sprocket.

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    edited July 2009
    I have to agree, this is ridiculous, typical British attitude to pillory someone for actually being better than mediocre at something.

I don't see anyone complaining about it being a foregone conclusion when Usain Bolt lines up in a 100m sprint in athletics. Or him showing off with his thunder bolt pose when he's whipped everyone else in the race.

Why not look at the positives in his riding, he has awesome ability as a sprinter, why not just watch what he does and appreciate just how good he is.

And let's face it, do you think he would be a successful sprinter without a touch of arrogance? No, because when all hell breaks loose in the sprint the successful ones are those who not only have the physical ability but also the ones who have the will and belief to do so.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    He wins, he can beat every other sprinter in a dash to the line, no one's come off his wheel and nosed ahead, whether it's a tailwind, headwind or crosswind finish, his train's organised to the level that Cippo's was at his peak.
    His head's the size of a medium-sized asteroid, he's said he'll win at least 2 more stages, possibly 4 more, this year, including the Champs Elysse (Spelling?) and he's got every right to be egotistical.
    Sponsors will be falling over themselves to be involved with him.
    Oh, and he's British! :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The only thing with him is that he's very sincere at times, he's incredibly dedicated to his job. I suspect people want to see him enjoying his wins and expressing joy and surprise, rather than giving the impression that here's mere accomplishing a professional duty, as if he's still a bank clerk.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    his main problem of hubris is that he will lose cooperation from other teams..

Columbia are tiring..the beginning of the tour they could do it all themselves but now they need assistance...

if he struts around pronouncing he is going to win this and that days in advance?

the cocky salutes are fine....

My favorite is Flecha's arrow.. (he was robbed by mattan and the race commissars car that year in the ghent)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Fastlad wrote:
    Good post! Personally... Cav is now starting to get on my tits! I'd like to see him get a good whooping now! Humble he is not!! :roll:

Not me. I like the fact that a thread now exists to critique his victory celebrations - we now take it for granted he's going to spurt over the line first!!

I think he's really rather super. And I say that a) as a straight male and b) with no hint of irony.

Look, I know it sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not. I'm really not!

+1
    He is fantastic. I bet the same group were previously whining about the lack of UK winners. I Hope he wins every sprint he takes part in.
    Go Cav. F@ck the begrudgers.
    Dan
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Rhods wrote:
    Please stop moaning!

As has been said before, you've got someone to cheer for, who's actually a winner and the first thing you do is try to find faults. I wonder if Tim Henman cycles??? He's the kind of guy for you!

He's a young guy who's clearly enjoying winning. He puts the hard graft in, so he deserves it. Ok, the celebrations are not to everyone's taste but he's a character an a personality and actually stands out from a mass of relative unknowns. It's up to the others to catch him!

Also, he is always very humble when speaking of his team's contribution.

And let's be honest, sponsors are leaving the sport left right and centre - a bit of good press doesn't go amiss and they are the people who pay the bills at the end of the day.

+1 The miming is a bit cheesy but I'm pretty surprised by how quickly people have progressed to the knocking stage.
  • Moomaloid
    his main problem of hubris is that he will lose cooperation from other teams..

Columbia are tiring..the beginning of the tour they could do it all themselves but now they need assistance...

if he struts around pronouncing he is going to win this and that days in advance?

the cocky salutes are fine....

My favorite is Flecha's arrow.. (he was robbed by mattan and the race commissars car that year in the ghent)

He hasn't actually said he's going to win any stages in advance. he said he has 'targeted' 2 stages but in reality there are another 4 that he could have a chance of winning...
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Fastlad wrote:

the dignity of mario cippolini :-

http://www.haisentito.it/wp-galleryo/ma ... llini1.jpg
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I'm sorry to see this thread has turned into a pro/anti-Cavendish fight. I like him, and am happy to see him win, but these poses just ruin the joy I feel when he crosses the line. It is fake and I also think that the huggings and praises for teammates are just Columbia "standard procedures".
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    So many cliches in one thread!

'The Brits dont like winners'
    - actually it's more that we dont mind losers or rather we dont write them off; we love winners and we dont leave any British sportsman who has a chance of winning alone; see Murray at Wimbeldon for example

'To be a winner you have to be arrogant'
    - There are plenty of winners who aren't arrogant or who at least dont come over as so -Chris Hoy, Roger Federer, Manny Pac.

Cav is a lot like Usain Bolt, IMO, in that both allow their innate confidence to spill over into arrogance and dont yet have the charm to make that 'arrogance' likeable in the way that say the older Muhammad Ali did - and for those who've suggested here that Bolt wasnt criticised for his celebrations at the end of the Olympic 100m what planet where you living on at the time?

I suspect that Cav will become less 'arrogant' as he gets older and becomes more circumspect about his success. He comes over as almost shy in some interviews, rude and disintersted in others. He'll get better at that bit over time but i dont think he's ever going to be the kind of sportsman who everyone loves.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    My only problem with yesterday's celebration was that it was a bit rubbish. Not well planned or executed and just a bit confusing. However Cav's phone celebration was superb in contrast - nice bit of publicity for the new sponsors at a time when pro cycling needs all the friends it can get when it comes to funding.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    If it were me i'd be fu@king moonwalking back and forth over the line :D
  • Go-KL
    Go-KL Posts: 8
    Agree with Stagehopper about yesterday's celebration being a bit rubbish. My initial thought was that Cav was trying to demonstrate the new easy interchangable lens system on his Oakley's but failing because he was heading a bit too quickly at a bunch of photographers just past the finish line.

I have no problem with these sponsor based celebrations at the finish of stages as they please those who at the end of the day fund the sport. The HTC one in particular was pure gold as I bet that less than 1% of the spectators knew what HTC did before Cav won that stage, but now at least they have a fighting chance of being able to work out that they are a mobile phone company.

For those who find these sponsor based 'celebrations' lacking class, I suggest they don't follow NASCAR. It is not uncommon for a race winner who is backed by, for example Powerade, to be thrust a Pepsi or a Gatorade by an official in Victory Lane, only for the driver to chuck that drink down in disgust and down a few refreshing slurps of his blue energy drink of choice before giving his race winning interview to the waiting TV audience. An interview where he will basically thank every single sponsor on his car whilst donning more clothing featuring the aforementioned sponsors.