Stage 10 - Limoges to Issoudun Spoiler

1235»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    As far as I was aware, Contador and Levi get on well. Think of all the races this year and the Vuelta last year. They have ridden a lot together.

The crash didn't affect anything at all as only one rider went down and caused one other to let up momentarily.
    Last 3km : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUtBtRwMzus&eurl=

Bennati is VERY disappointing - I know he was injured earlier but is he still meant to be injured?!

Rtbf also said that they wouldn't expect Cav to win tomorrow.

40.7 km/h for a flat stage is ridiculous.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    There's a report coming out of France that Contador attacked Leipheimer, who lost the wheel and caused the split in the peloton.
    Obviously, since the guy is Spanish and doesn't speak English properly, so he has no honour. :roll:

Easing the bunch up in the final km?
    Maybe the French will introduce that one.
    Should do wonders for rider's safety! :lol:

BLAZING SADDLES is that true? (contador not the safety measures) It would be ace if it were. Still if Leipheimer cant hold a wheel in the end hes clearley not up to being a leader moo ha ha ha :)
    Contador rocks
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    no earthly way they got caught out on such an easy slow stage.
    there was a crash, they eased up. they have to fix this.

Yeah... there's no way you'd lose the tail of the pack revving up to 60kph, after hours at 30kph, in a twisty, technical finish like that one. :roll:

I'd imagine the Tour commissaires are more experienced and better placed to judge than any of us.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    40.7 km/h for a flat stage is ridiculous.
    The riders didn't bother racing much today because of the earpiece debate, there was a semi-protest, a sort of go-slow which explains the easy pace.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730

Bennati is VERY disappointing - I know he was injured earlier but is he still meant to be injured?!

Was listening on the BBC and apparently he came back from injury but swallowed and then got stung by a bee or wasp loads and so wasnt in good shape at the start of the tour.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah they didn't stop talking about it for 70% of the time : )

At least they didn't do a Milan type protest...

Interesting interview with Vasseur with the rtbf commentators about the ban.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

Was listening on the BBC and apparently he came back from injury but swallowed and then got stung by a bee or wasp loads and so wasnt in good shape at the start of the tour.

Blimey he has no luck that guy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cumulonimbus
    drenkrom wrote:

Yeah... there's no way you'd lose the tail of the pack revving up to 60kph, after hours at 30kph, in a twisty, technical finish like that one. :roll:

I'd imagine the Tour commissaires are more experienced and better placed to judge than any of us.

Have had a look back and its difficult to see what happened. At the finish the gap was not very big and the riders were easing up. Does it have to be at least 1 second or something?
  • frenchfighter
    Reuters

610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    drenkrom wrote:

Have had a look back and its difficult to see what happened. At the finish the gap was not very big and the riders were easing up. Does it have to be at least 1 second or something?

If you watch the video that FF posted, you can see a noticeable gap between two bunches at 3:23 or thereabouts.

Of course it might only be a small gap, but the time is taken from the time Cavendish crosses the line and the time the second group finishes, ie 15 seconds. Harsh, but it's not as if GC riders don't know where they have to be. It's their fault.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    afx237vi wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

If you watch the video that FF posted, you can see a noticeable gap between two bunches at 3:23 or thereabouts.

Of course it might only be a small gap, but the time is taken from the time Cavendish crosses the line and the time the second group finishes, ie 15 seconds. Harsh, but it's not as if GC riders don't know where they have to be. It's their fault.

appears to be so

spilack has no overlap

bit harsh
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    http://www.carlossastre.com/sastre_en/i ... &Itemid=49

Levi's twitter:

# Just saw lot of negative reactions of stage today .Tomorrow will b more atractive.The tour isn't a podium 4 experiments (via @stevendejongh)about 1 hour ago from Tweetie
    #
    We learned one thing is for sure today, it's the riders who make the race.about 1 hour ago from Tweetie
    #
    Very chill stg 10, most relaxed I've ever seen. Got held up a bit towards the endabout 2 hours ago from Tweetie
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    http://www.carlossastre.com/sastre_en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=730&Itemid=49

Levi's twitter:

# Just saw lot of negative reactions of stage today .Tomorrow will b more atractive.The tour isn't a podium 4 experiments (via @stevendejongh)about 1 hour ago from Tweetie
    #
    We learned one thing is for sure today, it's the riders who make the race.about 1 hour ago from Tweetie
    #
    Very chill stg 10, most relaxed I've ever seen. Got held up a bit towards the endabout 2 hours ago from Tweetie

perhaps they were just enjoying the change....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    My Dutch is Sh*te, but I think they are reporting Kurt-Asle Arvesen has withdrawn as a result of his crash, today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    My Dutch is Sh*te, but I think they are reporting Kurt-Asle Arvesen has withdrawn as a result of his crash, today.

Yep, he's out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Unfortunately so - suspected broken collarbone. (I can't speak Dutch, it's on cyclingnews)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • markwalker wrote:

And why would they have to fix it?

No earthly way????

I assume by your pronouncements you are or were in the very recent past a PRO Rider and never made a mistake or had a lapse of judgement?[/i]

I thought the crash caused the split. I saw people behind it ease up. I didn't know there was a "it was only one rider" rule. IMOP several riders where impeded and those behind quit racing which is what they are supposed to do. That's one of the reasons for the rule isn't it? The crash happened in a high speed corner. I thought the rule was there to keep riders from racing through a crash.

Of all the races I might expect a "lapse of judgment" it wouldn't have been this one.

Tough ruling.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I don't think the crash was the cause - more likely it was the twists and turns of the finshing km. The guys ahead of the split must have turned the pedals a couple of times more than the ones behind and Wiggins and Leiphemier were unlucky* enough to be on the wrong side of it.

*Clearly there's a lesson there about being as far to the front of the peloton as possible at the end of the stage and to keep pedalling until you cross the line, but they were just behind the likes of Armstrong and it must be difficult to tell that a gap is opening up when viewed from within the peloton.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Apparently Cancellara's shoelaces came undone at the top of a long flight of stairs in the airport. After a quick retie he had to undertake a fast descent to catch up, sliding down bannisters and cutting just in front of some of the team managers. There is a video on youtube somewhere apparently.