Stage 10 - Limoges to Issoudun Spoiler

Cumulonimbus
Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
edited July 2009 in Pro race
The Pyrenees are now behind us and its back to the flat stages. Today is a little lumpy perhaps and goes up and down more than three fourth category climbs may suggest. However, it is a flat stage really. Today is Bastille Day as well so i think we can assume that there will be a lot of French guys trying to get in the breakaway. Columbia will want to work for Cavendish but will they get much help? Quickstep (Boonen) and Rabobank (Friere) may be their cheif allies with Agritubel (Romain Feillu) also being possible helpers if they havent got anyone in the break. Nocentini's yellow jersey should be safe for today - i think that the guys within 5 minutes would be considered some sort of a threat to the overall and so probably wouldnt be allowed to get away by the other leading teams.

There has been a fair amount of rain overnight but the Limosges area has missed the heavy rain that fell to the south and east overnight so there shouldnt be too much water around. Forecast for today is for it to clear up. The wind today will be a light south-westerly so almost a tailwind - could be a very fast stage today.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It'll also be interesting to see how the stage goes if the earpiece ban is enforced, because this will alter the tactics a bit.

As it's the 14 July Bastille Day, like Cumulonimbus says, we can expect many attacks from French riders. Keep an eye on Chavanel as the finish isn't all that far from his home. The first hour of the race should be very fast.

The forecast today is for rain at times so watch for Hushovd although a downpour didn't stop Cavendish winning last year in Toulouse.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,483
    I think a lot of riders are having fun with the radio ban. Mark Renshaw has just said Mick Rogers has told him they have to ride with spare tyres around their necks. :D
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    It's nice to know they're just like every other profession on earth... Love a good moan as a result of the most minor imposition.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't know if this is so but apparently the rules state the riders can use radios, but only one way and to receive race radio, so they will only get official time checks and official safety warnings. So the ban is strictly on the DS using the radio. But I might have this wrong, too many foreign news feeds etc.
  • I understood that to be the case too Kleber, which makes it just DS bleatings.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Kléber wrote:
    I don't know if this is so but apparently the rules state the riders can use radios, but only one way and to receive race radio, so they will only get official time checks and official safety warnings. So the ban is strictly on the DS using the radio. But I might have this wrong, too many foreign news feeds etc.

I'm confused about this as well

if they have race radio in their ear the saftey argument is dead in the water AFAIC
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    andyp wrote:
    I think a lot of riders are having fun with the radio ban. Mark Renshaw has just said Mick Rogers has told him they have to ride with spare tyres around their necks. :D
    The comment about they might as well also carry spare tyres round their necks came from Armstrong too. Don’t know who thought of it first.
    Armstrong also said, maybe they should also wear woollen jerseys for a day.

Jens Voigt said, what about they also don’t bother with either helmets or brakes.
    I don’t think they were saying these things in fun, but were grown men sounding/acting like aggrieved little boys.

Since what Voigt said was also what his manager Riis said earlier, it just shows you that it’s true - the riders are dependent on their managers for their thinking. No wonder they feel they need radios.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    its classic someone takes away something you are used to behaviour. like if someone told you there was no email for a day etc. i thinks its more about them not liking someone else deciding their life than actually what they are proposing. there would be the same twitterings if the proposal was no carbon frames and no carbon aero rims.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Isnt the 'banning' of the team radio link a little bit like the 'banning' of free wheels or the use of domestiques in the dim and distant tours of the past: a desperate attempt to slow 'progress' and make the racing a truer reflection of individual ability? In other words doomed to failure.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    To be fair a lot of people don't like being taken out of their routine or comfort zone. I imagine if you all were banned from certain things for a day you would have a bit of a winge too, I know I would and do.

So will another break away do it today, I am guessing cav is chomping at the bit to get another stage under the belt and take back the green so I expect some hard riding from the HTC boys help or not though you might also put milram in there for the sprinters teams for ciolek. Will hoshovd go in a break if it goes and try and nab intermediates knowing he might not have it for the final? and if he does will columbia send a marker or simply not focus on green as a target?

Usual suspects in the breakaway perhaps even the likes of millar and voigt knowing there are no radios might have a dig.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Cyclingnews.com reporting a compromise reached in that there will be no radios today, but they will be allowed on friday.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    ASO back down yet again... gutless...
  • disgruntledgoat
    Quick look at the calender adn... Quelle Surprise a 4 man breakaway which is 75% French has a 1:00 lead over the Peloton

Hupond (Skil)
    Ignatiev(Katusha)
    Vaurengard (FDJ)
    Dumoulin (Cofidis)

@gietvangent
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Cyclingnews.com reporting a compromise reached in that there will be no radios today, but they will be allowed on friday.

Pathetic - how on earth can they come to a conclusion about the effect of radios on racing with only one stage to look at??? Idiots.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

Not sure where you read that but I read that was a PROPOSAL. I've only read that that the ban is still in place for today and Friday.

And that any team using radios EITHER day will be disqualified.

Link to story?

Breakaway group with a 3'25" lead now - but only 25KM into race.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Link is tricky as got it from the live site using my phone and now posting this from work... But is on the live updates on cyclingnews.com, first couple of entries.

@gietvangent
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    knedlicky wrote:
    Since what Voigt said was also what his manager Riis said earlier, it just shows you that it’s true - the riders are dependent on their managers for their thinking. No wonder they feel they need radios.

I little harsh. Jens always comes across quite well.

I can understand both sides of the argument. Andy Schleck would have lost time on Sunday if it wasn't for radios, just because he was unfortunate enough to get a puncture 4k from home.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Linus Gerdemann reckons if he had a mechanical, without radios the team cars could drive past without even noticing... Radio Tour doesn't announce mechanicals anymore eh? There were no mechanicals not resulting in a lost rider stood by the side of the road before 2 way radios? Come now sir...

@gietvangent
  • Pokerface
    Link is tricky as got it from the live site using my phone and now posting this from work... But is on the live updates on cyclingnews.com, first couple of entries.

Stories are now being updated to say that the ban 'may not be enforced' on Friday. Weak.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    No worries.
    38kms in the first hour and the break only 2 and a half minutes up the road.
    So, Le Tour de Plod continues........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pokerface
    Andy Schlek punctures. Gets new wheels and back into peleton no problem. No radio? No problem.

Peleton already bringing the break back in. Possibly nervous about letting them get away too far with no radios. No radio? Even MORE boring racing!
  • disgruntledgoat
    "intellignet" Jens Voigt says "what next? Should we ride without helmets for two days because it might be funny?"

Try about 40 years Jens, you yourself rode without one for many years... sheesh.

@gietvangent
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    anyone got a streaming link ?? Looks like most of the ones on Steephill have been blutered !!!!! :cry::cry:
  • knedlicky
    Pity, because the stage on Friday, with its lots of small passes, is better than today’s for causing surprises and upturns and catching riders without radios out.
  • knedlicky
    pat1cp wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    I little harsh. Jens always comes across quite well.
    Voigt does usually come over well and seems a likeable bloke, but sometimes I wonder if he’s a touch too likeable, especially considering he’s been very reticent to ever comment much on doping in cycling and when directly questioned about it has fumbled for excuses or just not answered.
    Here he’s towing the line about radios, where else?
    I hope he’s clean.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Paulie W wrote:
    Isnt the 'banning' of the team radio link a little bit like the 'banning' of free wheels or the use of domestiques in the dim and distant tours of the past: a desperate attempt to slow 'progress' and make the racing a truer reflection of individual ability? In other words doomed to failure.

Or is it perhaps like the banning of tri bars or the banning of very aero wheelsets such as tri spokes - something widely accepted. Just because something is new doesn't make it an improvement - new does not necessarily equate to progress.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Voigt was one of the main voices moaning about some of the Giro parcours too.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    HTC won't want to bring the break in until after the last intermediate sprint - to prevent Thor from gaining any extra Green points.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    they haven't a clue what to do.. go fast slow or what?

its turning into a farce.....

they need race radio only races more often..using your head is a discipline like any other..

I don't see why this lot shouldn't open up racing to the "new" challenge or variety
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pokerface
    Halfway point of the stage now. Peleton in a measly 2'13" behind leading group. Content to just let them hang out there.