Stage 7 spoiler

18910111214»

Comments

• NapoleonD wrote:

I just hope that 20 second was real important to Alberto.

Alberto's 08 giro was great with it's on the beach on vacation theme but I was just looking at the riders that weren't in that Giro,

Evans, Sastre, Schleck, Vande Velda and of course Lance.

What was the final time gap between Contador and Sastre in '07, just out of interest?[/quote]

the 07 tour? Sastre was 4th, 7' min 8 sec back
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Watch it again and you will see that Lance couldn't cross to Schleck either. Only when Schleck decided to slow, did he bridge.
    It will all become academic, next week, if Schleck goes and Astana all get in a protective huddle around their guest rider.

When did Lance win Tours by waiting for sh*t to happen?
    Tours are won by heaping the stuff on your opponents, before they heap it on you.

Lance attacked where real gains were to be made. Not generally 20 seconds here and there.

Alberto's 08 giro was great with it's on the beach on vacation theme but I was just looking at the riders that weren't in that Giro,

How much time is needed before it becomes a "real gain"? 20 seconds is a good gain, especially as the nature of today's and tomorrow's stages mean that Alberto probably won't be attacking too much.

Tours are won and lost by seconds, it's important to grab them where you can.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NapoleonD wrote:

What was the final time gap between Contador and Sastre in '07, just out of interest?

the 07 tour? Sastre was 4th, 7' min 8 sec back[/quote]

What about Contador and Evans?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    aurelio wrote:
    Hmm, a big mountain stage and the main contenders only raced for the last 2km...

Well done to the men in the break though.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2009/07 ... eport.html

you said you werent interested in the TDF and pro cycling at the top level i presume you have changed your mind then ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I wouldn't right him off completely.. I think he is bluffing it majorly but a ruse is possible.. I think he banking on some sort of plan.. he is conducting a lot of diplomacy in the bunch

how fruitful or desperate that be is to be seen... I think as long as Contador doesn't do something stupid its his too lose

I think Saxo were sussing out who could go with a big move ?

andy talks a lot sh1t thou..that post stage 7 interview is nonsense

somebody has to keep the pressure on Astana

No, I'm certainly far from writing him off, unlike Menchov!
    I'm certain there is some plan already hatched for the third week.
    I'm yet to figure out if Saxo have some "Bobby Fisher" chess moves in play, or really are just on a wing and a prayer,

I do think all this fanboy fury is simply down to their fear of Lance having to do what he promised to do, when he announced his comeback, should contador get into yellow before him.
    It's they who are showing signs of cracking under the pressure!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Not sure I expect Saxo Bank to threaten to withdraw unless the cameras are turned off, but I suppose Fischer had a few good moves when he sat down at the board as well.

I think the anit-Lance folk were certainly rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of him being handed his arse on a plate during the Tour, but it hasn't quite worked out that way so far. Or was that just hubris and they all secretly knew he wouldn't be that bad?

I would much rather have a Tour without him (scandals apart, I enjoyed the 2006-2008 editions immensely), but objectively speaking given the circumstances he's done pretty well so far.

Vande Velde is still not too far back, neither is Brad, so I still have some interest in the GC. :D
    Le Blaireau (1)