Stage 7 spoiler

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Well, that was a real attack fest, wasn't it?
    Lance tries to resume normal, bore them into submission service, but Berto has other ideas.
    If it takes Evans to liven up a mountain stage, it must be utter cr*p.

The GC already looks depressingly cut and dried.

astana classic....

I reckon they could have shelled levi and maybe lance if they had lit the touch paper earlier

the old man is hanging in there... it was too obvious when klodi was ordered to ease off... a bit dumb ..... he should have tried to bluff it for as long as possible

evans hasn't got it and it wasn't steep enough for Andy not to drag the rest with him..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2009
    A mention needs to go to Cancellara's descending - he made me hold my breath on more than one occasion...amazing stuff.

Those who think Cadel doesn't attack should be quiet...this year he has changed and is one of the most likely to attack. It just is simply that he doesn't have the out-and-out climbing abilities of some, so these attacks don't seem to stick.

First time in nine years an Italian has worn the yello jersey if I understood the commentators.

Wiggins

Martins

Feillu

Contador
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador demonstrated today why he is the best GC rider in the World and why he is my favourite rider. I think some of you need to absolutely be quiet and admire the brilliance. You cannot hate on a proven winner who on top of everything has panache, something LA and Menchov, to name two, think is only the brand of a great drink in France. Did he need to attack? No, yet he still did. Class.

610x-95.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Great ride by Feillu today, he showed real aggression in attacking the group a fair way out and then just holding on for the win. I like it when the little teams win stages.

Contador asserted his authority today, which I think he had to do. There are plenty more mountain stages but, I think, just two more summit finishes so he has limited scope to gain time like he did today.

Wiggins was fantastic. He was going balls out there at the end and had seasoned GT riders scrambling for his wheel. Great stuff.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wow, i guess that sort of fat percentage is how you keep your weight down :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 145112.stm

Although the little-known Nocentini has the race lead...

Ugh. Little-known? By people who watch cycling once a year? Alright, the guy is doing his first Tour de France, but he's hardly a nobody.
  • mididoctors
    andyp wrote:

Wiggins was fantastic. .

indeed he was
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Lance's Twitter is pretty quiet considering they finished about an hour ago
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Interesting day.

Good one for Astana. Contador looked very strong, but didn't actually take that much time. He's rightly hot favourite at 1/3, but it's nowhere near over. Lance looked better than I was expecting. Levi also made the cut.

Andy Schleck looked very good. He couldn't pick up the attack, but I wasn't expecting that climb to suit him. I think he'll get stronger and more suited to the climbs later on.

Nice to see Evans have a go, but hard to see where he'll make that time back.

The break was good too. Got 60/1 on Feillu when it looked like the break had a chance!

Tomorrow is an odd stage. Reminds me of a stage Hamilton won with a broken collar bone a few years back. Breakaway written all over it, but I wonder if someone like Menchov might try and make back some time.
    exercise.png
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Well, that was a real attack fest, wasn't it?
    Lance tries to resume normal, bore them into submission service, but Berto has other ideas.
    If it takes Evans to liven up a mountain stage, it must be utter cr*p.

The GC already looks depressingly cut and dried.

Thats why i dislike TTTs so much gives the GC a team slant that it normally wouldnt have.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Great ride by Feillu today, he showed real aggression in attacking the group a fair way out and then just holding on for the win. I like it when the little teams win stages.

Contador asserted his authority today, which I think he had to do. There are plenty more mountain stages but, I think, just two more summit finishes so he has limited scope to gain time like he did today.

Wiggins was fantastic. He was going balls out there at the end and had seasoned GT riders scrambling for his wheel. Great stuff.

Didnt really kinow too much about him before but looking at his physique on the podium he has the build of long legged climber and his other win was on The Ballon so maybe the French have found their new Remy di Gregario :D
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Feillu was dropped earlier on the climb. He came back as the group had sat up and he just rode past them, got five seconds and then ploughed on. Now you don't win a stage like this by luck but he did benefit from a moment's hesitation amongst the other riders.

Anyway, an excellent win for a neo-pro. The last time a neo-pro won a stage of the Tour was in 1993, bloke's name was Armstrong.
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Feillu was dropped earlier on the climb. He came back as the group had sat up and he just rode past them, got five seconds and then ploughed on. Now you don't win a stage like this by luck but he did benefit from a moment's hesitation amongst the other riders.

Anyway, an excellent win for a neo-pro. The last time a neo-pro won a stage of the Tour was in 1993, bloke's name was Armstrong.

showed his neo pro experience by forgetting to do up his jersey on the line (given kern was coming up fast)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or maybe because Agritubel aren't renewing sponsorship and he'll be out of contract....

You would think he would do a good sponsor show a la Bingo to show how good it would be (a sort of 'your business name here' thing), rather than a skeletor themed protest.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Didnt really kinow too much about him before but looking at his physique on the podium he has the build of long legged climber and his other win was on The Ballon so maybe the French have found their new Remy di Gregario :D
    When they were interviewing him after the stage he said he didn't have a contract for next year as Agritubel are pulling out, so he hoped today's win would help him get one. That made me chuckle, I reckon he's good for a contract for 5 years at least regardless of future results, as French teams will be queueing up to sign him now.

Let's hope he can build on this, he's only 23 so has time on his side.
  • Anonymous
    Kléber wrote:

The last time an Italian was in Yellow was 9 years ago...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Don't often get a chance to blow my own trumpet but.......

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12633374
  • frenchfighter
    Nice one TTHR :)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    What about this from me TTHR?? Think you are a hot tipper? -

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m77/alextaylor3747/Bikeradarcom.jpg
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    "Little" brother Romain (the older) was in tears:
    brice-et-romain-feillu.jpg
    They make a decent stage racing team together, one can sprint ok and the other seems to be fine in the high mountains.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    just watched the highlights, and....

OH DEAR! :shock: bradley wiggins!!! i knew he had lost a massive amount of weight, but wasnt expecting climbing that good :D

top 10 very much no the board, and dare i say it? top 5? :P
  • I noticed in replay the wind going from head wind to tail wind going up the switchbacks.

Contador used the downwind run to sprint into the switchback so that they'd be chasing into that wind. Pretty good move.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador used the downwind run to sprint into the switchback so that they'd be chasing into that wind. Pretty good move.

Didn't catch that. If he did do that then that's pretty impressive.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    panache, something LA and Menchov, to name two, think is only the brand of a great drink in France.

So LA and Menchov are shandy drinkers :shock:

Thought such libelous accusations were frowned upon here... :D
  • frenchfighter
    LoL you know what it is! Very nice stuff IMO.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2009
    Last few kms...after Contador goes.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube ... C0SA&w=560
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lance's view: http://www.velonews.tv/?bclid=199546500 ... 9100631001

"That wasn't really the plan...but I didn't expect him to stick to the plan, so no surprise"

LOL, you better get used to Contador ripping your fat legs and black nikes off you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Really chuffed for Brice Feillu
  • frenchfighter
    Ullrich up the same climb in 1997: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXF9aeJhqw&eurl=

Note how long the stage was: 7hrs 45mins for him
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ullrich up the same climb in 1997: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXF9aeJhqw&eurl=

Note how long the stage was: 7hrs 45mins for him

Is there any way of knowing if it's the same route?
  • Contador demonstrated today why he is the best GC rider in the World and why he is my favourite rider. I think some of you need to absolutely be quiet and admire the brilliance. You cannot hate on a proven winner who on top of everything has panache, something LA and Menchov, to name two, think is only the brand of a great drink in France. Did he need to attack? No, yet he still did. Class.
    ]

Yea.. sneak attack on a teammate against team orders. Class.

If this had been the other way round, Lance jumping AC while AC was ahead on time, the Lance bashers would be running around waving their hands with their hair on fire.

21 seconds.. big deal... didn't even make back what he lost the other day when he missed the wind shift.