Lemond at Play the Game conference

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Oh, hold on. A filthy foreign hippy then!

I'll take my hand off your face wi' talk like that.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    iainf72 wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

There's also a problem where goons like Nick Griffin has associated english with something else which isn't a problem the Welsh and Scots suffer from particularly.

Why can't we all just get along?

I think youre right Iain, Sadly the opposition to him is as unreasonable as he is and has caused some level of Polarisation, hence its even more difficult for me to be English without screams of Racsim or other such nonsense.

I shall perserver despite the difficulty (because Im English) :)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andyp wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    Moray, look at how many Scottish ministers there have been at westminster over the last 10 years. Perhaps thyeve all been far more competent than the alternatives.
    How many Scottish ministers were there when the last Conservative government was in power? Malcolm Rifkind and that was it. They struggled to find a Scottish Secretary given their lack of Scottish MPs.

The Labour Party's traditional power base is the working class parts of the UK and that includes a lot of Scotland, hence the number of Scottish ministers.

Regardless of this point, if you check Mr Rifkind's passport he'd be British, just like Mr Brown.
    Scots ministers is last Conservative govt 1992-1997...I remember there were
    Michael Forsyth , and Ian Laing-DTI I remember, perhaps foreign sec too.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Jesus, you answer one of Dennis' questions, fk off for a few days and look what happens.

:roll:

All in favour of allowing Mark his independence?

Strava is not Zen.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    At the end of the day we are all mongrels. Its just depends on the person and how far back you turn the clock and stick labels on it.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    Andy Murray. vehemently scottish not british in his own words. took me one second to think of him.

By "his own words" do you mean "words he never actually said"?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/2008/06/23/wimbledon-more-mature-andy-murray-ready-to-shine-115875-20618073/
    he said it , got a backlash and then realised he needed to backtrack and say it was a joke. what he said in a pre wimbledon press conference is always going to be designed to appeal to the crowd. that makes him a gutless weazel as well.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I'm just gobsmacked as to how much this thread went off topic..

Unbelievable...;-)
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    markwalker wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    Hi Mark.

Despite your protestations, it didn't take long for your true colours to come out.

the validity of English nationalism

I understood you the first time - your views are quite clear.

That the history and culture of my country is valid and that i should be able to express that, perhaps fly my flag without fear of persecution. these are the points i have been making all along despite the best efforts of name callers to hijak them. Unless Im wrong and there is no national identity. Perhaps Jews would consider themselves to be the same as Palestinians?

Or are you reduced to name calling?

Hi Mark.

I called you no names.

One comment and I'm out: Your worries about an immigrant diluting your English culture as if it were something set in stone to be preserved for all history confirmed to me what I had suspected.

Have a nice day, cheers, andy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    Andy Murray. vehemently scottish not british in his own words. took me one second to think of him.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/2008/06/23/wimbledon-more-mature-andy-murray-ready-to-shine-115875-20618073/
    he said it , got a backlash and then realised he needed to backtrack and say it was a joke. what he said in a pre wimbledon press conference is always going to be designed to appeal to the crowd. that makes him a gutless weazel as well.

No, he never said it - at least not seriously. He made a jokey comment about supporting whoever was playing England at football and little Englanders which giant chips on their shoulder have attacked him for it ever since.

What actually happened, in the words of the journalist (Des Kelly) who actually conducted the interview (scroll past the Federer stuff):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1033143/Des-Kelly-Federer-8217-s-winner-taking-defeat-like-man-son.html
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sampras38
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:

No, he never said it - at least not seriously. He made a jokey comment about supporting whoever was playing England at football and little Englanders which giant chips on their shoulder have attacked him for it ever since.

What actually happened, in the words of the journalist (Des Kelly) who actually conducted the interview (scroll past the Federer stuff):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1033143/Des-Kelly-Federer-8217-s-winner-taking-defeat-like-man-son.html

Ahh, now we're into my territory as an ex county player. I've lost count the amount of times I've defended Murray against morons who jumped on the bandwagon without getting all the facts. It was a light hearted comment taken all out of proportion. That is it...move along, nothing to see here.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    calvjones wrote:
    Jesus, you answer one of Dennis' questions, fk off for a few days and look what happens.

Guess I won't ask any more questions about your history and will refer to all of you as
    "those people over there". :wink::wink:
  • RichN95.
    dennisn wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Guess I won't ask any more questions about your history and will refer to all of you as
    "those people over there". :wink::wink:

Don't ask the Spanish about their country - they're just as bad
  • markwalker
    Hi Mark.

I called you no names.

One comment and I'm out: Your worries about an immigrant diluting your English culture as if it were something set in stone to be preserved for all history confirmed to me what I had suspected.

Have a nice day, cheers, andy

were not talking about immigration though you seem desperate to bring it to that, were talking about the validity of my claim to be English. As for set in stone nothing is of course but many things have a value that deserves to be preserved for future generations. Or does that only apply to people other than the English. You wish to play a racism card but dont have the backbone to say it. Which is good because it would be wrong. It says a lot about you and not all of it is flattering.
  • camerone
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:

s

So he did say it. joking or not- many a serious word said in jest. no chips here by the way, i spent twenty years of my life living as an englishman in Cardiff and i am pleased to say I left them all your side of the border.
  • camerone
    sampras38 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:

Ahh, now we're into my territory as an ex county player. I've lost count the amount of times I've defended Murray against morons who jumped on the bandwagon without getting all the facts. It was a light hearted comment taken all out of proportion. That is it...move along, nothing to see here.

oop, we've resorted to name calling. very weak, really very weak indeed.
  • sampras38
    camerone wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:

oop, we've resorted to name calling. very weak, really very weak indeed.

Oh sorry, if you're referring to the moron comment it wasn't meant for you. I was just generalising.

Apologies if you felt it was aimed at you.. :oops:
  • camerone
    Oh sorry, if you're referring to the moron comment it wasn't meant for you. I was just generalising.

Apologies if you felt it was aimed at you.. :oops:[/quote]

to be fair I ahve been called worse :wink:
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Sorry to bring cycling back into this, but wasn't Robert Millar accused of 'not being very British' after blocking someone in? His response - 'F*** off I'm not British. I'm Scottish and don't you forget it!'
    Not that I believe everything I read in books, but if he did say that then, well, he's a legend so he's allowed to. It's justifiable in the heat of a race...
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Lemond is definitely not British. Though he is starting to remind me of Victor Meldrew...
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    boneyjoe wrote:
    Lemond is definitely not British. Though he is starting to remind me of Victor Meldrew...

I think you'll find Richard Wilson is Scottish, not British :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • sampras38
    boneyjoe wrote:

Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of rants now too.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Anyway, about Lemond........ :D
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • markwalker
    dulldave wrote:
    Anyway, about Lemond........ :D

Lemond Cyclist NOT Doper

Ill getmy English coat
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    deejay wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    in scotland you buy scottish milk and scottish butter clearly labelled as such
    in wales you buy welsh milk and welsh butter clearly labelled as such
    in england you buy milk and butter. In england we dont feel the need to rabbit on about how english we are. in scotland last week i saw a headline saying 'scots caught up in hiloday fiasco' in england that same headline would have been 'brits caught up in holiday fiasco' (referring to english people not the same scots.)
    scottish and welsh people seem deperate to ram home the fact they are not british they have their own identity.
    I watched a cricket match the other day with England playing Pakistan and the crowd were all "British" but the Flags were not.

We could buy "Country Life" butter until recently it said "English Butter" made exclusively with English Milk.
    I presume that the PC people (Prize C*nts) have made them change their label now,to British Butter and exclusively from British Milk.

Next
    Welsh, Scottish and English people live on the Big Island known as Great Britain.
    I could qualify for "Team GB" but Mark Cavendish cannot.
    It seems that it should be "Team UK" if riders from Northern Ireland and the I.O.M. qualify.

My Passport says (and I only have one)
    European Community
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    I do not answer to being a "Brit" but will respond to being GB or UK.

Next
    This, I'm British and not Scottish by this stupid prime minister and others.
    Now what is all the Hullabaloo about Wallace we hear since "Mad Max" in a skirt.
    Rather sweet I thought but leave it in scotland, please.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:

s

So he did say it. joking or not- many a serious word said in jest. no chips here by the way, i spent twenty years of my life living as an englishman in Cardiff and i am pleased to say I left them all your side of the border.

I see you've seen my location as Cardiff and fallen into the trap of thinking I'm some Welsh nationalist. I'm not, born and brought up in England (Welsh mother though). Moved to Cardiff after Uni, and I love it. My accent is clearly Home Counties/Public School, but in 14 years only one person has ever taken exception to me for being English.

The anti-English stuff is generally just banter and if you have a sense of humour about it then there's no problem. It only comes out when football or, especially, rugby is on. But it's all quite friendly. If you want to see it as a problem it can be, but that's never the intention.

BRITISH, not English or Welsh - but proud of both.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    camerone wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    camerone wrote:

So he said he was supporting anyone other than England ? So whats the problem with that its called sporting rivalry. Do you think Liverpool fans wanted Man U to win the Champs league last week ? Do you think real Madrid fans wanted Barca to win ? the answer is both cases id definately no. I am British but when England play football i want them to get thumped every time no question they are our main sporting rivals, nothing against the team as such but the English bias the BBC etc show is pathetic. Thats why when they loose another penalty shoot out the laughter can be heard all over the glens and all through the valleys.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    I hadn't seen Gregs so called rant until I was gently pointed in the right direction by the chief shitters bitter twitter, Hi, i'M Jinxed iMstrong and my nose , though long , has been in a Pinnochioaton, so that should answer all the humours going round at the moment in my head in my bed in my ZZZZ time, when I dream of losing a whining battle as my rattle is thrown from a point just above Scalp Hizhez.

Greg is the greatest thing since twice dead, once in real life and again in your head.
    If you fail to see what he is doing and why he is doing it then you are not really interested in the good of the sport in the first place.

Lances Hatorade Twitzer is an example of his corporate inability to avail of humour without getting paid advertising into the garbainge. I don't think he will get to the end of the Tour de France this year and if he does I see him jumping over to the less than free version being run by the prison service. Sorry, it will be free, free of the drudgery of druggery.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I agree don key, LeMond is doing a good job here. People who twitter about "haters" aren't interested in rooting out doping and cheats.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    LeMond is an obviously nice fellow . An opinion I formed an age ago when he was on top of his game and Sherwen was asking him about the way of things in general on TV . On the 'Play the Game' vid he looked quite fit ( to my aged eyes at least ) , and still had the aura of pleasantness about him that he had from way back . Of course it was sad to note that the horror that is LA and his gang of rotters , seemed to be having an effect on him in that he has to be on his guard all the time and cannot be completely forthcoming about the current state of play in pro-cycling . Still , the .. " Him ? Absolutely not . He has no conscience " was a wonderful line to finish with . :D

PS : Don Key's posts remind me of the 'Beats' and ,perhaps , Kerouac's scribblings from way back . Good stuff . :)
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Sod Lemond, Armstrong and doping I want some more nationalist ranting.