Lemond at Play the Game conference

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    aurelio wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    not unusual for someone under huge pressure, physically, emotionaly, and mentaly to behave like that. Perhaps the pack of cards is ready to collapse?

......... and so Armstrong's mob will find it hard..............

Anyone out there buying the "aurelio" "Armstrong's mob" thing? I've heard him say this a few times. Hell, according to some people Lance is evil enough to take over the world by himself. Why would he need a "mob". :wink:

I sure hope this "mob" is a bunch of zombies. I can handle them. I've seen it in the movies. :wink::wink:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    leguape wrote:
    Now if you actually read my statement: "The US were the minority partners in terms of troops hitting the beaches and in the delivery of them to the beaches"

73000+52,889=125,889 US Troops
    112,824+83,115+4988=200927 UK and Dominion Troops

Please point me to where I have rewritten history in a hilarious fashion. Last time I checked with anyone 70% more troops was an overwhelming majority. The American troops didn't swim to Normandy and none of it would have happened without the Naval force.

In terms of troops that landed on the beaches

US Troops 73,000
    British Troops 61,715 (out of 83,000)

Dress it up any way you want but that is not an overwhelming majority, thats why i love forums like this ,the history rewriting that goes on is hilarious.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Moray Gub wrote:
    leguape wrote:
    Now if you actually read my statement: "The US were the minority partners in terms of troops hitting the beaches and in the delivery of them to the beaches"

73000+52,889=125,889 US Troops
    112,824+83,115+4988=200927 UK and Dominion Troops

Please point me to where I have rewritten history in a hilarious fashion. Last time I checked with anyone 70% more troops was an overwhelming majority. The American troops didn't swim to Normandy and none of it would have happened without the Naval force.

In terms of troops that landed on the beaches

US Troops 73,000
    British Troops 61,715 (out of 83,000)

Dress it up any way you want but that is not an overwhelming majority, thats why i love forums like this ,the history rewriting that goes on is hilarious.

:roll: You quoted selectively and out of context, I rebutted you by repeating the context of the statement. Can you make a substantive rebuttal of the statement in the context it was made? No, because my statement is factually correct.

I did not use the term overwhelming majority in context of numbers on the beaches but in the following context:

"The overwhelming majority of the force deployed was British and Empire Dominions both in infantry and in the naval support that delivered them"

Note: "the force deployed" = total force, not just the beaches.

And while we're on the subject of correct context, I have to agree with Lionel Birnie's point that Lemond is in danger of romanticising doping in his era by suggesting that it wasn't as prevalent or an issue or that it only gets serious in the 1990s:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... mment.html
  • dennisn
    calvjones wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I once asked(on this forum) the meaning of the English / British "thing" but never got a really satisfactory answer. Or maybe I did and didn't "get it". Oh well, it still eludes me.
    Don't want upset your Grandad. :wink:
    USSR by all means. 1921 :oops:

Here goes.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is made up of Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) and NI. Wales was incorporated into an Entity called 'England and Wales' in the 14th Century (IIRC) following the invasion and subjugation of the people by Edward I ('Longshanks' - you mat have seen him in Braveheart). Meanwhile, Scotland invested heavily in some dodgy New World investments at the start of the 18th Century, effectively went bankrupt and the Act of Union with England & Wales was the direct result. Northern Ireland is the bit of the Island of Ireland that 'we' kept after the rest of Ireland gained independence following a long, long history of English colonisation.

I'm sure I'll be corrected by any historians here.

So there are some minor tensions, which we only put to one side when the British and Irish Lions go on tour (as at the moment), Rugby is, however, a whole new thread. As this should probably have been!

Thanks, I appreciate that. Still not totally up to speed on it but am getting the idea. It's difficult to follow things like that if you weren't born and raised there.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    UK = Britain + Northern Ireland (a large corner of Ireland, the neighbouring island)
    Britain = England, Scotland, Wales (the island)

geography-of-northern-ireland0.gif
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    UK = Britain + Northern Ireland (a large corner of Ireland, the neighbouring island)

Ah yes, it becomes clearer yet. Starting to "get" the British not English or English not British thing. Interesting.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    dennisn wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Ah yes, it becomes clearer yet. Starting to "get" the British not English or English not British thing. Interesting.

Many scottish and welsh people would describe themselves as just that. Its cultural identity thats recognised and accepted. English is apparently racist to some people who will take offence to my sign off, possibly for bizare PC reasons that they have been taught and recieved.

And to think England is the country that deteated militarily politically and financially the others to form the Union but seems at the end of the day to have come off with a weakenend national identity. Perhaps becasue there are so many scotts tossers in the government
  • markwalker
    I believe polls show that the majortity view is that the current PM is actuially scottish and a tosser so please no angry rants.

And he doesnt to the best of my knowledge ride a bike as a redeeming feature. Although Sir Alan does
    and a nice one too
  • moray_gub
    markwalker wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Many scottish and welsh people would describe themselves as just that. Its cultural identity thats recognised and accepted. English is apparently racist to some people who will take offence to my sign off, possibly for bizare PC reasons that they have been taught and recieved.

And to think England is the country that deteated militarily politically and financially the others to form the Union but seems at the end of the day to have come off with a weakenend national identity. Perhaps becasue there are so many scotts tossers in the government

You are Nick Griffin and i claim my box of 6 free range eggs !
  • moray_gub
    markwalker wrote:
    I believe polls show that the majortity view is that the current PM is actuially scottish and a tosser so please no angry rants.

And he doesnt to the best of my knowledge ride a bike as a redeeming feature. Although Sir Alan does
    and a nice one too

I cant recall seeing any polls that said he was a Scottish tosser.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Sir Alan went and bought himself 3 of those lovely bikes :(
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    markwalker wrote:
    I believe polls show that the majortity view is that the current PM is actuially scottish and a tosser....
    Can you imagine the sh*t we would be in if he were english ???? phew !!!!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Make it exciting and turn him into a Tottish Scouser, we would, of course have to gooze his squelies to get the correct vocal range.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    markwalker wrote:

Mark - let me ask you a question: If you realise that your attitude comes across as being racist, why do you persist with your signature line?

Cheers, Andy
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    markwalker wrote:
    [And to think England is the country that deteated militarily politically and financially the others to form the Union but seems at the end of the day to have come off with a weakenend national identity. Perhaps becasue there are so many scotts tossers in the government

What is a "national identity"? Something based on an obscure event like where you were born?

Why do people desperately feel the need to "belong" to something?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    iainf72 wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    [And to think England is the country that deteated militarily politically and financially the others to form the Union but seems at the end of the day to have come off with a weakenend national identity. Perhaps becasue there are so many scotts tossers in the government

What is a "national identity"? Something based on an obscure event like where you were born?

Why do people desperately feel the need to "belong" to something?

Hi Iain.

I think tribalism is a basic evolutionary concept, based on making life easier for those who are likely to share similar genes with yourself.

Cheers, Andy
  • markwalker
    markwalker wrote:

Mark - let me ask you a question: If you realise that your attitude comes across as being racist, why do you persist with your signature line?

Cheers, Andy

Well my point is proved by your response. Scotts can be Scotts first and foremost and demand independance. Welsh can be Welsh and demand independance and no one calls them racist.. I on the other hand am English and to present myself as that first (due to liberal lecturing that has been recieved as fact by the intellectually limited non free thinking society that we live in) makes me appear like a raging racist.

Yet the reality is totally different. And i dont much care if people dont like that, its their problem.
  • markwalker
    Moray Gub wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

and a nice one too

I cant recall seeing any polls that said he was a Scottish tosser.

Moray, perhapos not those exact terms but if Mori asked 1000 people in London (home of many scottish people by the way) what would the answer be to these questions?

a, What is the Nationality of our Prime Minister?
    b Would you consider Gordon Brown to be a tosser.

perhaps one eyed tosser would be more accurate.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Mark, just out of interest, what's the objection to being British? And would you have referred to former PMs Blair and Major as 'English tossers'?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    markwalker wrote:
    [Well my point is proved by your response. Scotts can be Scotts first and foremost and demand independance.

Scots also generally know there's only one "T" in Scots.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • markwalker
    hmmm must learn to speil
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    You obviously didn't benefit from a Scottish education, Mark.

:wink:
  • moray_gub
    markwalker wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

Cheers, Andy

Well my point is proved by your response. Scotts can be Scotts first and foremost and demand independance. Welsh can be Welsh and demand independance and no one calls them racist.. I on the other hand am English and to present myself as that first (due to liberal lecturing that has been recieved as fact by the intellectually limited non free thinking society that we live in) makes me appear like a raging racist.

Yet the reality is totally different. And i dont much care if people dont like that, its their problem.

Nobody really cares too much how you see yourself its how you are percieving and describing others thats of more interest. Oh and by the way its Scot not Scott ,thats an American bike manufacturer.
  • moray_gub
    markwalker wrote:
    Moray, perhapos not those exact terms but if Mori asked 1000 people in London (home of many scottish people by the way) what would the answer be to these questions?

First off i fail to see what his nationality has to do with being PM and secondly focusing on his disability says more about you than him.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    I've just checked my passport and it says I'm British. I imagine Mr Brown's says the same. As does Mr Walker's.
  • markwalker
    Edwin wrote:
    Mark, just out of interest, what's the objection to being British? And would you have referred to former PMs Blair and Major as 'English tossers'?

I would refer to Blair as being a smug Criminal Tosser. Major I thought at least seemed to want to do the right thing (and Edwina)so no i wouldnt.

I have no objection to the being British, my point is that my nationality in my view is English. I cant imagine many Frenchmen saying they were not French but Europeans and i wouldnt expect them to. Likewise the Welsh and scottish. There a re more and more laws to promote Welsh and Scottish culture. In England though, we embrace multiculturalism at the expense of English traditions and values. Not that morris dancing would ever have widespread appeal.
  • markwalker
    Moray Gub wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

First off i fail to see what his nationality has to do with being PM and secondly focusing on his disability says more about you than him.

Moray I object to so many Scottish MPs in the Parliament.

You also indicate that based on my views other individuals and their views are of more value. Your own position seems to be freedom of thought as long as its in line with mine.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    I think you've revealed quite a lot about your politics there. What exactly are the English traditions and values you refer to, and how are they any different to British traditions or values?
    How does describing your nationality as English actually change anything?
  • markwalker
    Edwin wrote:
    I think you've revealed quite a lot about your politics there. What exactly are the English traditions and values you refer to, and how are they any different to British traditions or values?
    How does describing your nationality as English actually change anything?

Good questions and the fact that you ask what are English TRaditions and values shows just how far things have deteriorated in the last 20 years.

As for describing my nationality as English? well in itself it changes nothing. but if more people identify and are prepared to say enough is enough then there will be change.

This line of conversation is innapropriatte for a cycling forum though so ill let you know when my manifesto is ready.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    in scotland you buy scottish milk and scottish butter clearly labelled as such
    in wales you buy welsh milk and welsh butter clearly labelled as such
    in england you buy milk and butter. In england we dont feel the need to rabbit on about how english we are. in scotland last week i saw a headline saying 'scots caught up in hiloday fiasco' in england that same headline would have been 'brits caught up in holiday fiasco' (referring to english people not the same scots.)
    scottish and welsh people seem deperate to ram home the fact they are not british they have their own identity.