The Fat Club

Comments

• greetings fat club, just been reading all your threads and thought i'd drop on in.
    I'm Scotty, 5'11, truck driving ex squaddie and in the new year was weighing in at 22.5 stone and after a messy night on the tiles decided enuff was enuff so got out on my 2nd hand claude butler hard tail and now down to 20 stone 4lbs. had a bit off a blip this week and also due to sore coccyx not been out much recently but REALLY GOT TO get back in the saddle this week!!!!! got myself a semi decent carrera fury hard tail now cos i killed my old claude butler lol.
    my diet isn't so much off a diet but more sensible eating, good during the week and without kicking the arse out off it a wee treat at the weekend, oh and i'm totally off the booze.
    since no one has been on this particular forum for a while a little update from you all would be great and hope your all keeping up the good work!! 8)
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Well, down to 16st, 6lbs at the moment having changed my daily ride to work from 4 miles each way on road to 8.5 miles each way, mostly off road and as hilly as I can. My weight is dropping slowly but my body shape is changing more rapidly, getting slimmer, clothes fitting better and looser so it's all good. About 2.5 stone to go. :)
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    great to read all the posts :D after turning 30 I have realised how much i've let my weight and health slide. up until i was 22/23 i was playing roller hockey (training 4 nights a week and playing on a sat and sun) was weighing in at around 12.5 to 13 stone i'm 5'11". Not sure what happened but with girlfriends, work etc gave up sport spent all my time in the pub started smoking.My weight at it's worst went up to 19 stone. I seem to carry all my weight around my chest and stomach and i'm finding it pretty hard to shift.
    I'm now in a bad place but getting out of it...
    i'm now on week 7 of stopping smoking, cycling to work everyday I have cut down on the drinking and i'm down to 16.5 stone my ideal is 13 -14 stone so not too far to go just need to keep my self motivated and get out and about more.
    It's inspiring to read all the effort everyone has put in to their own goals and it's keeping me motivated to succeed in mine :D:D
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • SpankyMo
    SpankyMo Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, I'm 6ft 6 and weigh in at just over 30 stone, I haven't rode a bike since I was about 15 but am looking to buy one so I can lose weight. I use the ones in the Gym but am getting bored too easily. I have decided I want a proper bike for use on road and round the park/forest, no serious off roading.
    I went to the bike shop round the corner and asked his advice but he said just buy a cheap bike for about £100 because I might not take to riding and I will probably trash the bike anyway. Not exactly what I wanted to hear and the cheap bike frames are quite thin and don't look to sturdy to me.
    What I would like to know is what to look for, which particular bikes will take my weight, should I bother with suspension and if so do I want full or just front, which sort of frame should I look for, what width/depth tyres, stuff like that.
    I have read the FAQ and think it has some good tips and I have seen the amazing 39 stone cyclist blog where he rides a Giant Yukon 08 which i think is a hard tail but I would just like some advice from people that have been in the same situation as me before.

My limit for the bike is around £350 tops.
    Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  • MTB-Dave
    MTB-Dave Posts: 42
    Since i started some 6 weeks ago monitoring my weight, i have lost 12.25lbs so just under a stone, diet has changed drastically and i have to say although weight loss is stead at 2lbs a week my body shape is changing.

Also cannot beleive how my stomach muscles hurt after a bike ride.

Currently half road and half off road for 7 miles per night and in the morning i use the cross trainer for 4 miles.

i feel a lot better with just the 12lbs gone so can't wait for more to go, i feel more awake in a morning. big up to all who is also on the weight loss pattern.
    David

Bike: Specialized Hard Rock Pro Disc 2010
  • Hi Guys - I have had a struggle with my weight for most of my adult life, but have however been very active throughout most of it, the only true way to control or reduce weight is (get ready for this) EAT LESS AND MOVE MORE it is not enough that we think that because we do a 5-10 mile bike ride every other day and do aerobic training inbetween and then do a long ride once a month, we must cut back on the fuel (food) we think we need and also push ourselves that little bit harder.

Tip: Train with a mate that is fitter, leaner and faster (and probably younger) and stop eating the crap that we pretend that we aren't eating.

But the secret to any weight loss programme is to EAT LESS AND MOVE MORE.

Cheers and Good Luck

Steve

Bike: GT I-Drive Elite XCR
  • I led a very sedentary life style, mainly due to working on a computer all day, then playing computer games all night. When I hit 14 stones I decided it was time to do something about it. That may not sound very heavy, but I am only 5'6".

Anyway, bought myself a new hardtail and started doing small rides locally. Met some good people and started getting out pretty regularly 3-4 times a week. I haven't really altered what I eat a great deal, I do try to eat less though. For example, I could quite happily sit down and devour a giant bowl of pasta. Now I try to have a smaller bowl. I am also drinking less, not because I decided to make an effort to drink less, it's just that I go out on my bike on a weekend instead of going to the pub.

I lost 2 1/2 stones in the first 14 weeks, although over the last 3 weeks I have gained 3lbs. I've hurt my back at the moment so can't get out, and I went out for beer over the weekend to catch up with drinking buddies, so I guess it's to be expected. I'm hoping to get back down to 10 stones, but I bet the last stone is a lot harder than the first 3.
  • Just picked up on this thread, late as usual;

I have lost around 4 stone in 20 months. It's been up and down but mostly down. I cycle road and track on my lovely cross bike (Best ever purchase) I swim and run but cycling is my real passion.

I have a completley non pysical job so I've had to work hard out of hours to burn fat and get fit.

My advice; take it day by day and let the small wins keep you motivated, stick with it because sometimes you take a couple of steps backwards but everybody does.

Heavy doesn't mean unhealthy, it's not all about weight. Body fat % is a good measure.

oh and keep records, I get weighed at boots every sat and log my training and even keep a food journal.

BTW; I have little will power and absolutley love eating!
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    edited November 2010
    hi im curently 16st but losing weight on a low fat diet too many chips mc donalds cream cakes mars barssweets, but i havent had any of these in 6 weeks,its hard when shopping,i walk fastish daily about 90 mins and do 20 mins on the turbo i hope to get down to 13st by the spring and get more biking in for the early spring summer/ so far in 2 months i have lost 20 kg---3 st i
    going downhill slowly
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Great thread. Lost around 4 stone this year and will hopefully shed another 0.5 stone in the next two months, which I'll be very happy with.

A recommendation that a friend gave me was to get one of the more modern scales, that gives you body fat as a percentage, hydration, calculating your BMI etc
    Take the body fat % values with a pinch of salt , but these are good for giving you a trend for body fat loss.

Now that I have a decent scales (one that I can weigh myself a number of times one after each other, and get the same value every time!), I find it useful to weigh myself every single day - first thing in the morning before I jump in the shower.

I have become very aware of the impact of eating poorly for a day, for a couple of days, a night out drinking etc - and all the bad things I know I shouldn't do, but I do.

It's not that I don't allow myself to go off the rails on occasion, it's just that I'm not very aware of the impact and adjustments to my diet and exercise, sometimes before and after such events.
    e.g. last week, I knew I had a drinking night coming up.. so I went overboard in the gym for the week
    I think the worst part about drinking is not the alcohol calories, but the impact it had to your exercise regime - I can really tell my lack of performance even after a few days have passed since drinking, and the benefits of being alcohol free for a month or so.

Good luck everyone... :)
    Simon
  • Gibzy
    Gibzy Posts: 22
    Hi All, i have been keeping my eye on this thread for a little while and taken the decision to join up.
    I am tackling the logging of all my progression through my blog. There i can monitor all rides, weight, bike upgrade etc etc.
    All this is set to kick start in the new year but i have uploaded some information im preperation of it.
    If you fancy taking a look please go to www.valleysmtb.blogspot.com

Hope i dont screw it up this time. Like so many years before

Thanks all

Shaun
    Visit my biking blog
    *JUST UPDATED*

WWW.VALLEYSMTB.BLOGSPOT.COM
  • I'm currently breaking the scales at 16.5 stone.
    But I was at 19.5 stone last January.
    Whats changed, eating habits mainly but I've also knackered my granny ring so the middle ring has to work harder up the hills.
    I've also started to go running. I did 7.5miles on Sunday half on road and half on a farm track in the snow. Did 5 road miles tonight at under 10min per mile! (very good for a fat lad I reckon).
    Aiming NOT to put weight on over New Year !
    Hopefully I'll be closer to 15 stone by May, and I'd like to be around 14stone by this time next year.
    I've now got to the point that I really am starting to enjoy running (never ever thought I'd say that ! ) and I'm planning to enter a half Marathon in May.

A lad in the village has lost 8 stone this year and another mate has lost 4 !
  • Gibzy
    Gibzy Posts: 22
    Anyone else new joining for the new year !!!!

i cant wait to get fit while using the bike. ive put it of for so long, but the aim is to get to 15 stone buy my 30th birthday next November. A loss of 3 stone, do you thisnk that is achievable ?

Shaun
    Visit my biking blog
    *JUST UPDATED*

WWW.VALLEYSMTB.BLOGSPOT.COM
  • It sure is Shaun.
    Just keep at it.
    I'm aiming to lose 2 stone by May (i'm gonna run a half marathon :shock: ).
    Have you got a trainning plan drawn out yet?
    I need to draw one up, there will be a lot of running involved to get ready for the half marathon but a good sprinkle of mountain biking thrown in too.

The festive season has taken it's toll on me again this year, but I shed 3 stone last year and relativly speaking, I didn't slip that much maybe a half stone (not been near the scales yet!!!!).

Booze, crisps and biscuits will become a controlled substance in this house !
    I'd like to try a month withj no alcahol :shock:

Good luck Shaun
  • Hey everyone!

I "joined" the weight loss thread back in the summer, lost a few kg and started getting fit, but once wintertime hit I got lazy and ate a bunch of carp I shouldn't, and gave up on exercise.

I've started back into the swing of fitness now, as I watched my weight around xmas rise about 4kg, which I was not happy about. Started on Monday once I got back home from holiday, and since getting back have lost just over a KG.

Fitness regime is 1 hour of ergometer training every day. Normally riding in the highest gear on it as I need to get used to low spins and high power to simulate climbing as that is my (extremely) weak point.

Eating has changed quite drastically as compared to last month. No more huge portions, I have to stop myself from going to buffets, as that is a huge problem for me. No more fried foods, and i've also stopped drinking.

My weight loss goal is both a short and long term one. Short term goal is to be 83kg by March 10th, when I fly to Paris for a business meeting, and want to look my best for that as it's with the EU, and could help alot with the company. Long term is to hit 78 by the 1st June.

Best of luck to everyone!
  • Okay im in!!

Im not unfit im 29 6ft 3 and weigh 17 stone can run to level 10.9 on the 20m bleep test!! I know this I did it for my fitness test at work after xmas!!!! Swim 2000m every lunch run 10k a week and circuits on thursday mornings and pedal when i can fit it in!!!

However come friday nights beer and snacks take hold till monday morning!!!!!!

I purchased a god forsaken road bike in the sumer and intend to put some miles in and kep my 2010 remedy 8 for purely off road now!!!!

Im going to try and get to the 15 stone mark by summer wth a stone off for my 30th in march!!!
  • Just ran 7 miles ! (at a pace of 9:55 per mile)
    Weight back down to 16st 6lb (after crimbo and new year binges).
    Heart rate and recovery rates improving.
    Exactly 3stone less than this point last year.
    Would love to get to 14 stone this year!!!!!
    Signing up for a half marathon this May so need to lose as much as possible by then.
    The proper trainning reigeme starts in a couple of weeks.
    Will be aiming for as close to 2 hours as possible.
  • I'm in guys.

Name is James 29, 30 in March! OUCH!

I'm about 5'9 and got up to about 13.5 stone. and have always struggled to maintain a decent weight. I'm working my nuts off to get down to about 11.5.

I've lost around half a stone over the last couple of weeks due to the fact I have bought an excercise bike for home and a new Carrera Vengeance Ultimate for the tracks.

I have cut the booze completely this month (JAN) and it seams be helping.

I ride every day on my exercise bike (usually for around an hour) and once or twice a week on the Carrera.

Last night I did the Monkey Trail at Cannock Chase for the first time. TOOK ME 3 1/2 Hours!!!

I was knackered.

Anyway, keep it up guys, nice to know it's not just me on a health kick! it's tough, I could murder a kebab and a beer!
    Got my new Carrera Vengeance Ultimate 11. Mint.
  • hi sorry i know you don't want to hear about the medical stuff and i ain't going to really, i'm a weight control suffer myself for years. but now i am a sport's therapist and also a nutritionist and would like to say one thing diets are for pussy's :) get on your bikes and as long as you watch your SATURATED FAT other fats are ok and most are good for you, cut down on bread, suger make your meals smaller but have more as in you should be eating 5 times a day to burn off more fat mind....
    if anyone want's more info or help i would be happy to explain it all or just give you a brief way to loose weight but gain energy drop me a pm good luck and all the best guys.

oh and my story i was just under 17 stone down to 13 stone in 6 months
  • mattblue
    mattblue Posts: 88
    Andy,

Id be interested to see how you could help me, I am 5'11 - 18st 8 and suffer with acid reflux /gord.

Am really struggling with healthy meals that doesnt trigger my reflux off and at the same time helps me lose a lot of weight with my riding

Cheers

Matt - Bridgend
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • oilit
    oilit Posts: 1
    Just stumbled across this link - all I can say is thank goodness I am not the only one :-)

At 43, 5'10 and 20st i bit the bullet to get back on my muddy fox mountain bike back in mid Feb after about 20 years of abstinence! Struggled to get to 3.5miles in 20.49 minutes and av heart at 161 and peak at 182 but persevered.

Bought a new Trek road bike, now up to 21 mile trips in 88 minutes - and interestingly average heart rate has dropped to 149 and peak at 167.

All very good, but weight loss has only been 3kg!! - although some of the flabby bits have definately reduced - so I am guessing (hoping) its turning some of it into muscle LOL!

I am generally cycling alone, hence the need to have 'something to beat' thus this is why I bought a heart monitor so i could see progress....
  • Ran Inverness half marathon last weekend.
    2hr 5min 05seconds, Stoping for a pee cost me about 1min 30sec !!!!
    Weight pretty static at the moment but start interval training (at the running still, ready for another half marathon in May, aiming for sub 2hr this time).
    Lookingforward to getting back to the bike after all this running.
    Gonna do the trail cycle leadership this year.
  • mattblue
    mattblue Posts: 88
    2nd time out on the bike - did 12km in 40mins (give or take a few stops for traffic).

Fairly happy with that given my size and lack of fitness !!
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • no posts since 6 april!! tut tut!

Hi im steve, 26 and 20stone and 6'4"
    ideally my target goal is about 15 stone 8 pounds but will see how it goes. i remember being that weight when i was younger and liked it but my wife says i looked skinny ( she fancies a few love handles i think!). I used to have physical work and could eat what i wanted but over the past few years in different less strenuous jobs its caught up with me. I like this thread and reading what your all accomplishing is helping with motivation.

I now have a 2010 hardrock disk and aim to build up my fitness and lose weight. My work is 4 and half miles away down a country lane so with htis good weather ive tried cycling it and it takes 25mins. is that good? its more or less flat. anyway im hoping to try and cycle it every shift, ust gotta find some good lights now.

cheers,
    steve.
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • jizzleb
    jizzleb Posts: 135
    I'm 25 and have been out of riding for 6 months after surgery from a crash on the MTB with several complications. Finally been given the all clear but have put on around 2 stone since doing so now come in at 14 stone, only 5"10.

I can start training again next week and hope to shed the weight, I have literally done nothing for 6 months!
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • I started the year at about 17 stone and am now down to just under 15 and desperately trying to lose as much as possible in the next six weeks.

From August 21-27 I'm doing a mountain bike ride over the Alps to raise money for the Mental Health Foundation. I'll be covering about 288 miles, which is not going to be a problem. The 35,000ft of hill climbing will be!

I'll either be slim and fit or at death's door by the end of the six days. Let's hope for the former :lol:
  • HI im bazzle

Im 6ft and weigh 17.5 stone

Ive been putting on weight slowly for a few years after losing a few stone back in 05 mainly seemed to start after giving up the fags and booze! I also work in a bakery of all places!

My main current goal is to be under 16.5 stone for the octoberfest race my ideal weight would be around 13 stone
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    Hi I'm 6'3 and I was 105 Kilos which is over 16 stone. I've managed to get down to 95 kilos which is about 15 stone in about 7 months. I've noticed that it's much easier to climb up the hills carrying more speed rather than carrying the weight. I've changed my eating and drinking too as the weight loss has come to a stop. I'd like to keep it real and only get down to 85 kilos which is 13 st 7lb.

If I can achieve this it would be ace, to put it in to context that would be like putting 20 one kilo bags of sugar off my bike and then cycling off away from it much faster.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • bragawd
    bragawd Posts: 160
    Hi all.
    My names barry... and to keep it short ok

1996 found mountain biking.... 3 bikes later got a marin rift zone me and my work/ride mates were all over N. Wales and really enjoyed it even at my peak i weighed in at 96kgs
    work place closed lost all work/ride mates got new job .. 14 miles away lost interest sold everything... tried again bought new bike and all running kit never even rode new bike sold it all again.
    NOW i've just realised its now or never... managed to interest a work mate of the joys of MTB riding so we are when possible having a good laugh.. trouble is he's just got a medical condition.. so no riding mate till after crimbo.

So this is ME was at 116.5 kgs and feeling really shite about myself after 8 long years off the bike since me and mate started again.

A cousin of mine told me about an app called "myfitnesspal" for my iphone
    it takes in all your info from excersice to food intake ... works calories out and takes into account excersie which knocks off those cals burned off...
    its so easy give you a target for calories each day and counts them up for you as you record then into the app...
    its really helped me i'm now 105kgs stated on the 11th of october ... walking and cycling again, with my target set at 96kgs again... then i'll set a new target once i've hit it ... ppl its worth a look.

thanks for listening to me rabbit on... but i'm one of many out there who struggle a little... but do it for the love of cycling no matter how we are

regards Barry.