SCR Trip See Page 1 for details

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Sounds good doesn't it :lol:

Perfectly designed so that no one is in any doubt that you're coasting as you scalp them :lol::lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    edited May 2009
    Bunkhouses and scout/guide cottages are possibly a good way to go:

Lots of accomodation for individuals.

Here's where I went last weekend (camping) with my son.

I notice that in their accomodation section they have one building that has 20 beds and "additional accomodation" for a fixed price of £135/night irrespective of numbers.

I imagine that other scout cottages are similar in price per person...

EDIT: Scout cottaging is possibly not a good phrase though.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Held bunkhouse looks good and it doesn't even look to far away from my father in laws.
    Not to sure what I'd do in regards to this tho as I'd love to come and if we can combine it with a trip to see him it's all the better. It might be a case that I come in from his and stay for maybe a night before a ride the following day or maybe the whole trip depending on family commitments. More then happy to contribute to costs, guess the only other thing to worry about is food? Anyone here get wholesale discount on 25Kg+ bags of pasta ;-)

Looking at the map under the "Finding Us" section has something interesting for the mountain goats amongst us.....

Note the "Steep Hill Up" warning :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    The road up past the Talybont Resevoir is very nice. The climb is steady 10-15% with a little kick at the very top. There are some really nice off road trails around there if someone fancied a bit of mtn biking.

Edit: that was for information if you happened to stay at the Held Bunkhouse. The lanes across to Talybont are beautiful and rolling.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Rich158
    I'm liking the MTB aspect as well, may even get a visit to Cwm Carn in on the way home for a bit of DH action :lol::lol:

I could almost be persuaded to make a week of it, anyone else?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    I could give a nice hour and half mtn bike loop which has a bit of road, firetrack, rocky track and moorland. There is also a famous dirt track pass which goes over the Brecons immediately from the lane the bunkhouse is on. You could then loop back via Talybont.

So much fun to be had on a bike around there.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    Sounds a bit like an XC route to me, does that mean I'll have to take the peak off my full face helmet and wear lycra :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    lord yes if your into MTB's and have space take them, i should be around unless any job i get (which i hope will be soon) throws a spanner in the works. assuming not for time being, plenty of places to ride both on and off road. got a few 1000 foot plus climbs mainly from crick and over but also fiddlers elbow to keepers from govilon. between 3 and 4 miles, we also have a few you have got to be kidding steep hills if one is silly enought to try, the cuckoo is the steepest i can think of, which is shade under 500ft in half a mile, the steepest claimed road Chimmney Bank is 'only' 427ft over the same distance.

with regards to partners, abergavnny,crickhowell Breacon and hay on why are nice towns to wander about. Breacon has a very sweet cinema used to and may well still have ice cream ladies in the intervile. there are at least castles every where one looks, but Raglan is great old one, masses of old industrial history on the very southern edge with things like Big Pit where one can go down the mines, plenty of hills to walk, and where i grew up Clydach Gorge though as name suggests there are sheer sides so some care is needed but once in it is spectular the beach woods have never been felled so there are some true giants in the woods.

the area is also covered with good old pubs and good food.
  • Feltup
    Rich158 wrote:
    Sounds a bit like an XC route to me, does that mean I'll have to take the peak off my full face helmet and wear lycra :wink:

Yes it is XC and yes you will have to man up and lose the padding but lycra shorts on a mtn bike? Are you sick? :wink:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    Feltup wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Yes it is XC and yes you will have to man up and lose the padding but lycra shorts on a mtn bike? Are you sick? :wink:

I think I'll survive :wink: i thought all you XC types wore lycra, or is that not the case these days. I must admit I haven't been near an XC loop in years, just in case it's catching :shock:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Couldn't really class my self as a mtn biker at all tbh just occasioanlly go out on it to see what is the other side of the fence so to speak. I would love to have a crack on a modern DH bike sometime though. That looks fun as long as you avoid that looney North Shore stuff with the massive gap jumps.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    I'll bring the Giant Reign 1 along for you, it's a real blast on the downs. Of course If you're really up for it I could persuade my offspring to let me borrow the Santa Cruz V10, with 10" of travel you don't feel a thing :lol::lol: It is a bit of a tank though at nearly 50 lbs :shock: , it sure gives you a full body workout if you throw it arround, and pushing back up is a bit of an effort.

I feel at trip to Cwmcarn on the way home coming on, the perfect weekend :lol::lol::lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • roger_merriman
    if you take a MTB there really should take in the old pre roman road to Breacon it's a hoot if some what jiggly. last time i did was on a fully rigid bike.....
  • Rich158
    if you take a MTB there really should take in the old pre roman road to Breacon it's a hoot if some what jiggly. last time i did was on a fully rigid bike.....

I love it, proper old school, fully connected to the trail :lol::lol: I'm sure i won't feel a thing with 6.5" of super plush travel front and rear.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So just where did the list of people wanting a social ride go to? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Rich158
    oops have we gone off topic, surely not :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Name..........Want..............Dates.........Location
    James.........Social rides......August........Not fussed
    Lindsey.......Social rides......August........Not fussed
    Rich..........Social rides......Not fussed....Not fussed
    Laurence......Social Rides......August........Not fussed
    Olivia........Social Rides......Not fussed....Not fussed
    roger.........Social ride.......August........Beacons
    Jon...........Social rides......Not fussed....Not fussed
    CJ............Social rides......August........Beacons
    Attica........social hills......Not fussed....Not fussed
    Jen...........pootles/running...Not fussed....Not fussed
    Mark..........Social rides......Not fussed....Beacons
    Christophe....Social rides......August........Beacons
    The Rev'd.....Free Love.........No idea.......Wales/Ireland
    Mark #2.......Social rides......August........must be pretty
    Lbaguley......Social rides......August........Not fussed
    Brun..........Social rides......August........Not fussed

2 things:

1 - Enough of this MTB talk
    2 - I've plotted some potential routes assuming we can get the Held Bunkhouse, 3 long rides and a nice pootle. I did plot a mammoth 120 milers with 8000ft of ascent, but don't want to scare anyone :lol:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7790

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7791

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7792

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7793
  • Rich158
    Name..........Want..............Dates.........Location
    James.........Social rides......August........Not fussed
    Lindsey.......Social rides......August........Not fussed
    Rich..........Social rides......Not fussed....Not fussed
    Laurence......Social Rides......August........Not fussed
    Olivia........Social Rides......Not fussed....Not fussed
    roger.........Social ride.......August........Beacons
    Jon...........Social rides......Not fussed....Not fussed
    CJ............Social rides......August........Beacons
    Attica........social hills......Not fussed....Not fussed
    Jen...........pootles/running...Not fussed....Not fussed
    Mark..........Social rides......Not fussed....Beacons
    Christophe....Social rides......August........Beacons
    The Rev'd.....Free Love.........No idea.......Wales/Ireland
    Mark #2.......Social rides......August........must be pretty
    Lbaguley......Social rides......August........Not fussed
    Brun..........Social rides......August........Not fussed

2 things:

1 - Enough of this MTB talk
    2 - I've plotted some potential routes assuming we can get the Held Bunkhouse, 3 long rides and a nice pootle. I did plot a mammoth 120 milers with 8000ft of ascent, but don't want to scare anyone :lol:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7790

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7791

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7792

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7793

You don't scare me, I'll be up for anything over 100 miles, but only 8000ft of climbing, you disapoint me :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    How about this then:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7794

140 Miles
    12000 feet... :shock:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I'll get dinner on while you lot do that shall I? Or alternatively be propping a bar up somewhere......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Rich158
    That's more like it :shock: :lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • roger_merriman
    How about this then:

140 Miles

thats roughly the tour of the black mounatins which i'm hoping to do.

in all seriousness this will be social but there are some great climbs with great views assuming i don't get sidelined by something i'll be happy to take folk around and no one dropped.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    How about this then:

140 Miles

NO!

*hits jash on head with rolled up newspaper*

That's a bad Jash!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm going to stick my neck out.

I think James should plan out the (his) holiday, arrangements, location, route and level he would like to ride to.

Propose them and then if it is for me I'll will try to make it. If not maybe next year.

I think it's gonna be pretty hard to accomodate 13 other peoples expectations. (140miles and 12000ft or 100miles and 8000ft of climbing at a social ride = not for me).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • roger_merriman
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I think James should plan out the (his) holiday, arrangements, location, route and level he would like to ride to.

Propose them and then if it is for me I'll will try to make it. If not maybe next year.

I think it's gonna be pretty hard to accomodate 13 other peoples expectations. (140miles and 12000ft or 100miles and 8000ft of climbing at a social ride = not for me).

there are plenty of nice but still challenging routes around the 30 mile mark. like wise some flatter routes than one can clock up the distance on.
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

DDD don't take the 140 mile route seriously!

The point is that with a good number we can be flexible anyway... people can ride 30, 40, 70 or what ever miles, we can re route or create several routes to keep everyone happy. The first route I've listed should be very doable, I've done most of it before and it's fantastic I promise!
  • Rich158
    I don't see the problem with having a few social rides with the whole group, and having one day when the nutters can go off and do something more stupid/challenging.

I certainly wasn't sugesting everyone should do a 140 miles ride, but if I'm in the area I'd certainly want to test myself on at least one ride. There's no reason why we can't accomodate everyone and their respective abilities.

Revised FCN - 2
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2009
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Agreed Jash should dictate when/where etc. But the point of staying in a cottage/house was that as it wouldn't be point to point, so everyone can do what they want. Being an antisocial cow, I may well ride off on my own most days, possibly doing the same route as everyone else, possible going 5 miles down the road and back again.

It's just a base to stay, people to stay with, and drinks/dinner. The rides can suit whatever you want, and you can guarantee that not everyone will want to ride with the racers.

Everyone would be welcome.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • il_principe
    Rich158 wrote:
    I don't see the problem with having a few social rides with the whole group, and having one day when the nutters can go off and do something more stupid/challenging.

I certainly wasn't sugesting everyone should do a 140 miles ride, but if I'm in the area I'd certainly want to test myself on at least one ride. There's no reason why we can't accomodate everyone and their respective abilities.

+1 Last thing I want to do is put people off. The more the merrier!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So there WILL be a completely flat route with a guaranteed tailwind and smooth roads then?

(otherwise count me out! :wink: )

I don't DO hills.... there just aren't any around here!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter