Obsessive Compulsive Poser (OCP) guide to bike photos

Comments

• mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    The front QR lever on the Giant is angled below the horizontal.

Oh dear... :roll:

Now, front QR angle is open to debate, as long as the front one is not pointing forward or straight down there seems to be a grey area on this...

The rear is even less regulated...

You're making it up as you go along seems like . :D I never thought it was a grey area at all .

However I always figured Tullio Campagnolo's original OCP idea was to mimic 'Mercury the Winged Messenger' and have the original artful winged lines of his QR's parallel to the ground at all times . Not only does it look better and more purposeful - to my eyes - but it 's more aero to boot , and is a factor in race prep' when the induced drag from a casually positioned QR can add up to having to burn a ton more cal's in a TT or RR ( ... I'm told ) .

As for the pic' of my bike , apologies for the near side view and rotten background offending your OCP dictum but it was the only pic' I could find to illustrate the idea . Drat ! And , now I look at it I see that the ruddy QR's are the modern and far less graceful of Campag's long line of QR's . No matter , I expect you get my drift .

logo1.gif

image007.jpg

15092007293.jpg
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    NapoleonD wrote:

Now, front QR angle is open to debate, as long as the front one is not pointing forward or straight down there seems to be a grey area on this...

The rear is even less regulated...

allow me to clarify positioning of the rear QR - it needs to either:

a) bisect the angle of the chainstay/seatstay (ie in the 10 oclock position) or
    b) sit level and point rearwards
  • mercsport
    mercsport - you need some of this:

297156.jpg

Damn ! you noticed did you ? :(

In truth , I nurture my weedery .

Good luck with the 'Ironman' . :D
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This is OCP bikes, not photography BTW! The industry standard OCP bike shot is, unfortunately, a white garage door.

Er, so what's with the PhotoShopped monstrosity in your first post. Shame on you! Surely the only acceptable use of Photoshop is to correct the annoyingly not-lined-up logos on a Conti GP4000 (or maybe I should bin them). ;-)

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but shouldn't we be propping up our nearside pedal on an upturned wineglass?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mercsport, the QRs are beautifully lined up but that counts for nothing when you don't even have a chain!

As for the photoshopped monstrosity...

The only thing photoshopped is the background and a chain link...
  • caw35slr
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The only thing photoshopped is the background...

Precisely! Your rules seem to permit Photoshopping anything except the background!

Try as I might, you've beaten me on the chain link front. Oh, and I'm delighted to learn that the reflection is real... :lol:

Great thread, BTW.
  • Anonymous
    Where do I say that?

COME ON!

WHERE?!? :evil:
  • caw35slr
    I'm just saying that your own rules say that the photo must be shot against a white background yet your own photo is a mock-up.

How can that be OCP? This is a thread for pedants, no?

Looking forward to an OCP shot of your nice bike. With valves aligned with logos this time please.
  • mercsport
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Mercsport, the QRs are beautifully lined up but that counts for nothing when you don't even have a chain!

Have a heart ! I'm still saving up for that . :oops:
  • Anonymous
    caw35slr wrote:
    I'm just saying that your own rules say that the photo must be shot against a white background yet your own photo is a mock-up.

How can that be OCP? This is a thread for pedants, no?

Looking forward to an OCP shot of your nice bike. With valves aligned with logos this time please.

It was shot against a white garage door by my dear father (one of the country's top professional product photographers) who then decided to PS the background, reflection etc. I didn't ask him to do this and as a result I've had to (yet again :D) move the goalposts!
    It only took him about 10 minutes to do the lot...

I'll be fitting new tyres to it later and I will ensure mm perfect tyre logo alignment.
  • caw35slr
    Fair dos.

I'm bulding up a new Condor Acciaio sometime in the next week or so, will post a photo when I do (although failure is guaranteed until I decide on the final spacer stack height). Neither photo in my sig is remotely close (gaze upon the flat front tyre on my P7!).

Nice photo with Chris Hoy. I laughed out loud at "I just so happened to have a Macclesfield Wheelers skinsuit with me". Classic!
  • Anonymous
    Diggin' the Surly btw...

Classic looks...

Some black with brown sidewall Veloflex Pave tyres would finish it off beautifully ;)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productDetail.asp?ProductCatalogue=VELXTYRF250
  • caw35slr
    I bought it 2nd hand 18 months ago for £325! I have a proper Surly steel fork for it which will go on along with guards and a light Tubus rack as the beloved Pacer is destined for winter/commute/pub duty once the Acciaio is built.

The only thing OCP about the photo is the un-flipped stem. I'll Google those tyres... :-)
  • Anonymous
    I posted a link at the bottom of my post...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I thought bike photos were supposed to be taken in the kitchen? Or is that just MTBs?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • torin
    torin Posts: 102
    3856414032_987abcf79b.jpg
  • Anonymous
    There you go torin, this breaks a few rules and is raced weekly -

LOOK595.jpg
  • torin

Whereas this is rather non-OCP...

DSC00208.jpg
    And the winner of my first Anti Pesto Badge!
    3856414032_987abcf79b_m.jpg
  • torin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    There you go torin, this breaks a few rules and is raced weekly -

LOOK595.jpg
  • Anonymous
    gianttcr.jpg
  • torin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    gianttcr.jpg
    Beautiful Keep em coming!
  • torin
    who owns the cannondale id like to give him the chance to award anti pesto himself!
  • torin
    does this god of pictures belong to willhub?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    tut tut tut...you did'nt get the valve stems chrome plated and the pedals beautifully horizontal thanks to some chewing gum strategically placed...and once you got it all perfect - go and see the quack, please.

(..continued on page 192...)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Anonymous
    Not mine...
  • Anonymous
    IMG_2294.jpg
  • torin
    orry but the rues state... so no badge
  • Anonymous
    Errr, this is the OCP thread, why not start your own where people can post rubbish pictures of bikes? :o
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    My picture was not a rubbish picture, it was a new bike no pedals a quick spur of the moment thing, it's got nice memories in it, poor little pig in the hutch what a shame he's 6ft under now :(

My pictures of my bike in the thread where you post pictures of bicycles are of perfectly adequate quality.