Ride Reports

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    PS. I may be taking a triple this year :oops:

So - big question is - how much weight did you put on (so you need to buy an even lighter bike to compensate)?

One does not discuss things such as weight gain :x

Ok - how light is the n+1? There is an n+1 isn't there?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    First proper ride of the year and fark me that was hard work, the wind was blowing gale force from what seemed like every direction, branches all over the roads and a whole tree blocking one lane, we cruised along and even climbed at a good pace until the wind upped its game then it was basically stationary track standing practice.

Avg HR 186 although the last 5 miles I held 192-198 :?

I'm knackered and feel a bit sick now :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Bloody hell mate - you'd better have a quiet sit down with a beer!

I can only get my heart rate up to 178 and I leave that for special occasions - ;)

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    Benno68 wrote:

I can only get my heart rate up to 178 and I leave that for special occasions - ;)

That's what i'm doing right now, I dont understand it yes i've not been riding my usual distance or intensity but it hasnt been that long, the only other time i've seen my heart rate like that was straight after my shoulder op.

The friend i was riding with was pretty amazed that i could even hold a conversation at that rate.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Set out a bit late towards Colchester and into a massive headwind, I’m talking down to 13-14mph in the drops thinking 'what the hell am I doing?'. Skipped going to Mersey because the weather was shite and then carried on my quest to circumnavigate Colchester. Crossed Aberton reservoir which looked great on the map but was actually a glorified puddle and struggled into the next village spurred on by the 'tea rooms' sign. Couldn't find the tea rooms so I had a quick can of coke outside a local shop only to ride past the tea room on my way out of the village. I then took the wrong turn somewhere and ended up going right through the centre of Colchester, which was great. My OS map by this point had soaked up so much sweat that it fell apart and I subsequently got lost, this is where things get better. I found myself on some glorious single lane roads and blasted back home in the sun. 52 miles done in 3h15mins. I am now knackered but still smiling, not quite the 100km I was hoping for but it will do :D
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    some nasty headwind out there but did ripley, staple lane, crocknorth, easy whitedown, easy leith hill, down to ockley, up to coldharbour from A29, dorking, ranmore, effingham, cobham, home. 53 miles. great ride :)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Just been out from Dulwich->Catford->Bromley->Downe->Brasted->And back.

Goes to show I still hate hills. ~50 miles and 1016m of climbing... apparently the 25% climbs though short were "fun" (they hurt!). Some walking involved, but I'm blaming that on playing rugby yesterday. And the beer postmatch.

Oh, and the wind is a bit gusty today eh?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good ride out towards Chobham and back. Unlike Clarkey I'm avoiding hills in Jan, just getting the base miles in for now! 53 all told. Nasty headwind all the way out, and the garmin lost the plot at one stage. Still, felt good and the training seems to be working.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Good ride out towards Chobham and back

I always end up taking wrong turnings around there and finding myself on some dispiriting national speed limit road into a headwind.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    As part of Mrs EKE's training for the upcoming rides she wants to do, we rode from Dalston to Barnet. Not a great success as she hates riding in traffic.
    I'm begining to doubt she'll be able to do the rides she wants to if she can't ride on the road.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Oh yee of little faith. Give it another ride or two before you suggest she throws in the towel :)

Maybe that suggestion should be made over the telephone, so she can't damage you physically, if she gets a little miffed :D
  • I went out on my bike today. It was nice. Only a short ride, as I've had the sciatica of late which is quite literally a pain in the arse.

Let's see if I've made it better or worse, shall we?
  • itboffin
    Hey liv I had that on and off a couple of years ago, i found that drugs for the immediate pain and regular stretching eventually sent it packing.

Bloody horrible tho
  • EKE_38BPM
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Oh yee of little faith. Give it another ride or two before you suggest she throws in the towel :)

Maybe that suggestion should be made over the telephone, so she can't damage you physically, if she gets a little miffed :D

She was in tears when buses and trucks passed her. No close passes or anything, but the general amount of traffic freaked her out.
    We did 11 miles to my parents house, she slept for two hours then we caught the train back. Her BSO weighs a ton, so that will wipe her out and the wind cut through her lycra, so she was cold.

I won't suggest she throws in the towel, but if I did it would definitely be over the phone as she could kick my arse!

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Lighter bike if can be worked into the budget, Windproof gilet and extra layers. More road practice. Tears will lessen over time. Quieter route?
  • itboffin
    But you told her to MTFU right?
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    But you told her to MTFU right?

You seem to be forgetting the bit about her being able to kick my arse!

I think I'll go the CafeWanda route.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I hurt.

Lots.

(but I think I got video footage of a FULL double rainbow... will check.)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did one of those follow-your-nose rides out through the back lanes & villages that are still a mystery to me in that direction <points over there look>. 15 miles or so into a general headwind with the intention of blitzing the in miles on the way back, which I did, including a couple of miles holding 30+ on the flat. Nice. As it was warm enough to discard overshoes, leggings, baselayer & full gloves and remove the stack of lights from the bike it was a chuffing nice bike to ride again. Everything feels better without the winter accoutrements. Also nice to get out of the routine commute route and explore some unknowns. A good day.
  • benno68
    itboffin wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

That's what i'm doing right now, I dont understand it yes i've not been riding my usual distance or intensity but it hasnt been that long, the only other time i've seen my heart rate like that was straight after my shoulder op.

The friend i was riding with was pretty amazed that i could even hold a conversation at that rate.

Be careful ITB, last summer my heart rate maxed and I was still holding a conversation. I felt unwell 20 miles further into the ride and stopped 10 miles from home. Ended up in hospital for 3 days with "possible heat exhaustion". I reckon that I may have had a virus as the ride was not that quick, hard or fast.

If your heart rate is suddenly going through the roof it maybe that you're not 100% - that day I felt fine to start with.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • benno68
    Went out with the club today, out to Church Village, Gilfach Goch, over Llangeinor and back via Ewenny and the coast road. Only 16.7 average but my legs feel like it was a lot quicker. Got home and realised that my seatpost had slipped by 5cm - not sure if that made much difference. I definitely need to get more miles in.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    Tiny rant but WTF gives with the couple of weeks of the bike and suddenly you're a couch potatoes never done a days exercise in your life :evil:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I feel that after 2 days off the bike, it does motivate me to keep it up, done more miles over winter than I ever have and feel great for it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - it came out. Really lucky as I only had 5 minutes of filming left!

http://youtu.be/yuMsTKKpRrY?hd=1
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:
    Tiny rant but WTF gives with the couple of weeks of the bike and suddenly you're a couch potatoes never done a days exercise in your life :evil:

'Aint fitness a bitch. Takes months to attain and seemingly days to lose. Are some visits to the Turbo cave called for?
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

'Aint fitness a *****. Takes months to attain and seemingly days to lose. Are some visits to the Turbo cave called for?

All is revealed seems I have a bug or something, totally wiped out today. I'd assumed jet lag was the cause of my tiredness and high HR
  • itboffin
    6776222309_bc309a0629_z.jpg

Finished my Steel set up for this years Amstel Gold race, might change the pedals on the day for SPD's also need to replace to seat post for one without any lay back.

10.5 gentle miles with a couple of stops to check for play and tightness - all seems fine.

As for the ride well it's cold and cloudy here but otherwise dry and bright, pretty much idea winter cycling conditions yet still I could barely be arsed. :(
  • il_principe
    Managed my longest ride of the year so far this am. 60 miles and an 18.4 av. Not the best of conditions but it was good to get out. Coming bad into the smoke fecked with the av speed, but these solo rides must be doing some good. Need to amend my winter loop as there are 2 horrific roads which I keep ending up on. One has double white lines so EVERY car passes with about an inch to spare. Not good.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Managed to get my 100k challenge ride in for January - a bit last minute but glad I waited as the weather was fantastic today. Virtually no wind, almost clear blue sky and I more or less had the right kit on not to be too cold or hot. Just a standard loop - 65 miles and 3500 feet of climbing - but only really two climbs that would make the noses of the weak bleed.
    Need to amend my winter loop as there are 2 horrific roads which I keep ending up on. One has double white lines so EVERY car passes with about an inch to spare. Not good.

Funny how car drivers don't mind disobeying the highway code when it comes to passing cyclists but are fussy about it if it involves crossing double white lines.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    itboffin wrote:
    6776222309_bc309a0629_z.jpg

Finished my Steel set up for this years Amstel Gold race, might change the pedals on the day for SPD's also need to replace to seat post for one without any lay back.

10.5 gentle miles with a couple of stops to check for play and tightness - all seems fine.

As for the ride well it's cold and cloudy here but otherwise dry and bright, pretty much idea winter cycling conditions yet still I could barely be arsed. :(

+1, That I like an awful lot! ;)