Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Greg66 wrote:
    At what height is your chalet?

(a) Too fecking high, but
    (b) the road kept the distance short by having a nice 12% section. :x

:lol::lol::lol:

I shouldn't laugh I actually had a bad dream about that Col de Chalet last night, fucking awful is the only way to describe it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    At what height is your chalet?

(a) Too fecking high, but
    (b) the road kept the distance short by having a nice 12% section. :x

:lol::lol::lol:

I shouldn't laugh I actually had a bad dream about that Col de Chalet last night, fucking awful is the only way to describe it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718

My pet hate is when they decide to put a 12% down bit just before the 10-12% up section so that you can enjoy the up section for a while longer

e.g. Croix de Fer. I have a deep hatred for this climb :evil:

Heh. I remember that bit well. That kilometre-long 12% ramp is where my gilet and all my energy bars fell out of my back pocket. Meaning I had to stop, collect while dodging ascending riders, remount and set off again. Had to do at least 200 metres with only one foot clipped in. :D
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    The chalet was excellent: http://www.sunchalet.co.uk/la-clusaz/ho ... ort=biking for those who are interested - they were great hosts, and the cooking was fabulous.

+1 the resort, company and hosts were all fantastic however I might just add that whilst the food was very good, I would have eaten mud pie prepared by my five year old daughter at that stage and thought it Michelin star, this is nothing against the food just a measure of my extreme hunger.

Anyone considering an Alps trip, ignore all advise on so called "spiny" gear you go get yourself a dinner plate :wink:
  • itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    A blank cheque would be a faintly tragicomic gesture in my case. Unlikely to be for a year or two, :( but one day. Also need to get something a bit less "robust" than my commuter.

After the Skyride weekend before last this weekend mini-BJUK no.2 said "I want to ride further then 10 miles"

Just need to get her a passport now and we can attack Ventoux :-)

It's a great wine, produced on the southern sloops of the mountain but I think she might be a tad young just yet :wink:

4986455785_0722e0808f.jpg
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    itboffin wrote:
    Anyone considering an Alps trip, ignore all advise on so called "spiny" gear you go get yourself a dinner plate :wink:

Wot, like a porcupine?

IGMC

Have just gone 'man gears' myself, and will have a pop at a 25% on 42x23 when I next get a chance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Wot, like a porcupine?

IGMC

Have just gone 'man gears' myself, and will have a pop at a 25% on 42x23 when I next get a chance.

Yes. Well you might want to line your route with old mattresses. For when you come to a complete halt and realise you've begun A Clipless Moment...

Assuming your kneecaps don't fly off into the middle distance first.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Wot, like a porcupine?

IGMC

Yes. Well you might want to line your route with old mattresses. For when you come to a complete halt and realise you've begun A Clipless Moment...

Assuming your kneecaps don't fly off into the middle distance first.

Indeed. Although it's only 0.6 gear inches difference from my previous granny gear of 42x28, and I've made it up the same 25% gradient twice on that. Both times I have had an impatient car right on my tail, so clipless moments were/are not an option :shock: Totally out of control breathing and heart rate are however an option.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    Had an interesting moment on Sat. after several nasty col climbs we managed to find a rather good restaurant where true to form I shovelled down a large steak and suitably large beer, not the best idea when you have 10km of climbing.
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    Had an interesting moment on Sat. after several nasty col climbs we managed to find a rather good restaurant where true to form I shovelled down a large steak and suitably large beer, not the best idea when you have 10km of climbing.

Just been reading the article in C+ about a similar attempt on Rosedale Chimney that ended with a lunch-over-handlebars incident. Hope you kept yours down.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited September 2010
    Pedal to Paris
    When I first thought of doing a London to Paris charity ride, I looked at quite a few of the many, many possibilities. But one stood out in my mind, head and shoulders above the rest- the Royal British Legion's Pedal to Paris (P2P as I'll call it hereafter). Apart from being for what I consider a very good cause (servicemen past & present and their families), the reports I'd read were overwhelmingly positive about the organisation of the ride & support for participants. There's only one other time during the year that cyclists get a clear traffic free run to the Arc de Triomphe, the final stage of the TdF. Very important for me was the Legion's transparency about costs & sponsorship. Many other charity rides are run by event companies, and more often than not they'll say something like 'your minimum sponsorship target is x amount, of which y pays your costs for the trip'. That disturbed me- sponsorship can be difficult enough to raise without people getting the idea that they're subsidising someone's cycling holiday (if 290 miles in four days actually sounds like a holiday!). P2P is different. The basic entry fee of £500 was cheaper than many other rides that lacked the same support and advantages, and it was a requirement that sponsorship was kept entirely separate & did not contribute to those costs. There was also the option of a single-room supplement, which others didn't give. I was doing this on my own, and frankly I'd rather not keep someone else awake with my snoring, or have that problem myself!

So I signed up in January, and began training. I set myself the target (which, to be honest, I probably would have done anyway) of riding at least 100 miles a week from March (once it had warmed and lightened up a bit!), and despite a couple of setbacks (problems with the chosen steed, my Viner Magnifica, which had to go back to Italy for repair, and then a crash on July's Friday Night Ride to the Coast which left me rather sore and off the bike for ten days) I pretty much kept to it week in week out. By the day of the start, September 2, I'd done over 3,600 miles for the year.

Day One: Greenwich to Calais
    4968721381_159c6be01f_d.jpg
    The big day arrived. I was up bright and early (well, early!) in my b&b, handily both bike-friendly (the Viner was parked in the hall, and the landlady had hosted P2P riders before) and in Blackheath, not far from the start point at the centre of Greenwich Park. So after walking the bike and luggage over, I quickly got signed in by the friendly Legion staff. The bag got packed into a waiting van, and after words of introduction and a photocall, myself and 275 other riders were off at just after eight.

The the second part of the brilliant organisation then kicked in. To get us out past the M25, we had a team of motorcycle outriders, who skilfully and effectively both showed us the way and cleared our path. If you've ever wondered what being in a pro peloton is like…well, that was it. No traffic in our way, roadblocks where needed, even legal RLJing.  It was absolutely amazing. As had been made clear at the beginning of the day, our objective was simple: get to Dover in time for the ferry we were all booked on, at 4.30. Effectively, it was every rider for themselves, no set times for stops, though a broom wagon would ensure everyone got to the port. Once we were out of the M25 ring, the full 'tour peloton' was no longer in effect, but the outriders still helped on major junctions, and clear & well placed poppy signs pointed the way elsewhere.

The first refreshment stop was at the British Legion Village in Aylesford. Those of you who've ridden sportives will know that supplies of food and drink are sometimes rationed out if not actually in short supply- though not a problem on the couple I've done. But there were never going to be any problems here. Tea, coffee, water, Science in Sport products (both in powder form and mixed), bananas (of course!) sausage rolls, pork pies, jam tarts…….the choice was massive and so were the stocks, here and at every major stop. Plenty of items to eat there and then, and for between stops,  A team of masseurs were on hand to sooth aching muscles, and again they were helping out at all the stops. Same for the bikes- an expert team of mechanics were kept busy sorting underinflations, punctures and all sorts of fettling.
    4964155119_2409f07ccc.jpg
    Twenty or so minutes  and I was off again. The terrain was much like that I knew from Friday Night rides to Whitstable- rolling rather than really hilly, but a good work out, particularly with the need to press on (I wasn't going to be going in the sag wagon!). I also had a quick word with our celebrity rider, former England manager Graham Taylor. A credit to his former profession- no airs and graces, more than happy to talk to all and sundry, even me! He admitted that work commitments meant he hadn't been able to train as thoroughly as he'd have liked. He was in the sag wagon at least once during the trip, but nonetheless he kept going and made it all the way. As far as I know, so did everyone else, with the exception of two who bailed at Dover. One poor guy suffered an allergic reaction to a wasp sting on day two and needed to go to hospital, but was back on the bike the following day. A young lady riding in a family group seemed to be suffering a bit on the first day- when I asked how she was doing during the wait for the ferry, she said her training had consisted of three thirty-milers (!). But she seemed to get a lot stronger from then on, and she too completed.

On we all went, to the lunch stop at Sellinge. More bountiful offerings, and a chance to look over some of the two-wheeled lovelies my fellow riders had brought along. All sorts of people, with all sorts of bikes. Perhaps unsurprisingly, road bikes were in the majority,  and most of those from all the usual manufacturers- Spesh, Trek, Focus, Boardman- and with all kinds of specs, including a Cervelo R3 with full Di2- but there were plenty of hybrids, a solitary tandem, a single recumbent, and a Moulton New Series.  

I was grateful for all those calories when it came to the one big climb of the day- a nasty one at Capel-le-Ferne. I've since seen this described as 'infamous' among other things. 1:6 gradient, apparently. Many of my fellow riders resorted to walking up it. I didn't. Hard work to be sure, I took a breather at the top, but to my mind it was not as bad as Ditchling Beacon. Capel is twisty, but less so than the Beacon,  and whereas the last time I went up Ditchling on the Viner (back in March) I used the 25 tooth sprocket and was breathing heavily, here I only needed the 23 and found the going a lot easier. The bike's a bit lighter now, I've done a fair few miles since, and the weather was just about perfect (warm enough without being too hot, light winds), all of which might have made a little difference. Some of my fellow riders reckoned it was worse than Ditchling, so it was nice to hear from one of them the following day that it wasn't, either in terms of altitude or gradient. Capel is the site of the Battle of Britain memorial, so I took the opportunity (fittingly given the cause of the ride) to combine a  break with paying my respects.
    4964187853_e6c6cd7046.jpg
    From then on, it was all downhill into Dover, great payback for all the climbing earlier on, and I got into the town at about three. There was a meeting point in a car park, where a Seafrance rep handed out tickets for the ferry, then on to the port. Security checks were rather minimal, at least for the group  I was in (just a query if any of us had sharp metal objects- we kept quiet about all the Allen keys…), and that was it. On to the waiting area for the boat, where we were joined by the remainder of the group. And we waited, and waited……We weren't late, the boat was, and our departure would be about half an hour late. After the vehicles had disembarked, we were first on, and bikes were crammed into all the nooks and crannies either side of the vehicle deck. The journey was pleasant enough, and after enough of the cars and trucks had unloaded to let us off, we gathered up in the port, where our team of motorcycle outriders were waiting, and then set off on the short ride into Calais. A gentle introduction to riding on the wrong side of the road. Total mileage for the day, on both sides of the channel, came to 80 or so. All the bikes went into a municipal garage for the night, we picked up our bags and then we were on to the coaches for our various hotels, in my case a Holiday Inn. Because of our later than planned arrival, there was just enough time for a quick wash and change into civvies before an excellent three course dinner. As on most of the other days, the menu was set, but fortunately I enjoyed everything. After a good evening and pleasant conversation with my table of fellow riders and crew, I turned in for the night.

Day Two: Calais to Abbeville

As on each day in France, an early start was in order. Breakfast was the usual hotel buffet fare, and we all piled into a coach to go back into town just before eight. Bag dropped off at the lorry, bike collected, and then there was a short but poignant ceremony at the war memorial, a reminder of why we were here. Paul Harding, Hertfordshire Legion branch member and rider of the aforementioned recumbent, was the Legion's flag-bearer and said the Exhortation, with its final call of 'we will remember them'. As at each start point for the rest of the trip, support crews were busy, fettling bikes, fettling limbs, and making those copious supplies of food and drink available. To suit riders' abilities and to stagger arrival times as stops, we'd head off in three groups- no need to register or anything, you just got ready and set off when the announcement came. I had a bit of a wait, so I ended up snacking and chatting while first the social (sounds so much better than 'slow'!) group (average speed 10 mph), and then the fast group (18 mph) set off. I'd decided the medium group (14 mph) was about right for me. Quite a few people who joined the fast group on this day found they just thought they were fast…apparently they were averaging 22 or so! I didn't get the logic of us starting last, until someone pointed out that if someone in the social group found it a bit slow, or someone in the fast group wasn't speedy enough, they could wait at a stop for a bit and join us. If the fast group left last, the only place for someone who couldn't handle it would be the sag wagon, even if they were more than OK to continue under their own steam. Understandable, but it did mean a lot of sitting around (some chose to do so in a local bar).
    4970749422_29df4628c0.jpg
    Eventually, at ten, we were off. The outriders did as superb a job as their British counterparts in shepherding us along, holding up the traffic and marking junctions as needed. Drivers were generally very courteous though, often pulling over and waiting patiently as we passed by. Horn blowing was only saying 'bonjour' not complaining. A very pleasant change from cycling in the UK!  A pace car at the front kept the speed down to the guideline level, a little frustratingly at times, so I spent rather a lot of time freewheeling. The terrain was similar for the most part to that in Kent- rolling, but not overly strenuous (at least for a rake thin whippet like me). The wind was gentle, the temperature a generally pleasant 26 or so. Lunch was at Wirwignes, about 25 miles out, and the quality and quantity matched if not bettered what had gone before. I particularly liked the custard tarts at this one.

I (along with the others) soon needed the calories. At about half an hour out, we reached   the first of two more than taxing climbs in quick succession. The first one was the worst, and the only one to beat me in the whole trip.  It was twisty, we couldn't see the summit, and the midday heat was getting to me a little as well. After struggling for a while, I decided to admit defeat and walk up.  One of the French riders with us (who paid their way and made their own arrangements for hotels) agreed that it was too much work in the heat for that. Plenty of others walked it too, though quite a few hardy souls did grind their way up. My annoyance at not doing so was not helped when I noticed I still had two lower sprockets I'd not used in my attempt. And then, to boot, when I got back on the bike after the climb, I suffered my only 'mechanical' of the whole trip, a chain drop. Grrr….The second one was a bit easier. Steep, but a lot shorter than the first one, and I was pretty determined not to get beaten again. As I passed a walker, he said 'Do it for us'. And I did make it all the way up, though I needed the 27 tooth sprocket to do so. There was a regroup at the top, and the chance to get some refreshments was much needed! At Forest L' Abbaye, about 10 miles out from Abbeville, we had another break, before we all headed off as one big group for Abbeville, arriving at about six. 76 miles today, and as much climbing as the run to Dover on day one- 2,900 feet or so. After arriving at my hotel, I had a bit more time before dinner than the previous night and took the opportunity to have a quick look at the picturesque town centre, and saw the tail end of the parade commemorating the town's liberation in 1944. Another very good meal- steak for the second night in a row, but I didn't mind- and an early night again.
    4970146461_d0f988f976.jpg
    Day Three: Abbeville to Beauvais
    4970764198_1cdc66b94f.jpg
    4970153685_46d7254663.jpg
    Another early start, another hearty breakfast, and then off to this morning's ceremony. As with all of these events, the respect for the Legion, its work, and our humble selves was very evident. After what I'd heard about the fast group, I decided it was sensible to stick with the medium one. So, like the previous day, chatting and eating for a while before the off. Terrain and weather were both much like day two, thankfully without any of the killer climbs. The Picardy countryside was beautiful, and the reception we got passing through towns and villages remained very warm, frequent calls of 'bonjour' going to and fro. One thing that did rankle a bit was the riding manners of a few others. I wouldn't consider myself a strong rider, I've been alongside enough of them to know I'm not, but among this group, at least, I was, particularly on the climbs. I was often amusing myself by getting up the slopes on the big ring (not really a good idea I know, but I came to no harm), and doing so much more easily and rapidly than many of the group were on the granny. But time and again, when I was running not far behind the pace car, people I'd gone past on the climb came speeding past me on the descent, and promptly tucked in right in front of me. I know they wanted to keep their momentum for the next climb, but did they have to do it at the expense of mine? Not exactly safe either.

Lunch in Croixault was more of the high-quality fare, and today's sweet treat was an apple tart. I had a good natter with some of the guys from the five-strong Kent Police & National Escort Group team. The NEG supplied the support riders for day one, and provide similar coverage for cycling events all over the country, including the Tour of Britain.  Great guys,  a pleasure to ride with, even if one of them did give me a little gentle stick about my rucksack and how heavy it must be (no, don't get that any other time…ha ha). Then off we went again, riding conditions remaining very pleasant. The waterproofs were staying in the luggage, they just weren't needed- unlike the sun block (which was doing its job and protecting my pasty complexion!).

This afternoon's midway stop was a little different. The village of Auchy La Montagne (population of about 400 or so) was, I found out from Paul Harding, liberated by the British, and the population are keen to maintain the link. After following enthusiastic welcome signs in English, we came to our stop, where it seemed like the whole village had turned out for us. Our visit is one of the biggest events of the village year, apparently. The Mayor gave a welcome speech in English (as with the other ceremonies, Sir John returned the greeting in French), before we sang both national anthems. Paul had thoughtfully provided the words to La Marseillaise on a placard.
    4970178707_b94bf7da1b.jpg

After the break, we again continued in one big group to Beauvais. There was a malfunction in the otherwise faultless route-leading, when we managed to take a short detour into an industrial estate, quickly corrected. We went into the town centre for the ceremony at the war memorial (held in the evening rather than the following morning because of the need to get to Paris earlier in the day), as moving as all the others, before we took an amusingly convoluted route (a group of started off one way, were told to head in another direction, and-yup- ended back the way we would have gone in the first place). Added just a little to the 65 miles for the day! At the bike store for the night, a fire station, there was another reception (any excuse for a party…and it was the last full day before Paris) before our coaches arrived. The Mercure hotel wasn't in the nicest location (a bit of an industrial estate/retail park), but it was as pleasant as the others, and the meal was for me about the best of the whole trip- a bit different from the others, each course was a buffet (salads and cold cuts, sausages, chops etc for main, while desserts included a splendid chocolate tart and floating islands).
    4970794714_a8b8f18287.jpg
    Day Four: Beauvais to Paris

And the other big day arrived..Like day one, there was a time issue today. There was a slot when the national police would close our path to the Arc de Triomphe to other traffic, for a just a couple of minutes, at 1519 precisely, and we had to hit that deadline. Fortunately the day was fairly uneventful, and there was generally a bit of a carnival atmosphere, unsurprisingly, among our peloton. I ummed and aahed about whether or not to join the fast group before sticking with the medium group. I wished I had- apart from the ongoing feeling that I was pootling a bit, and the ongoing annoyance of slow climbers/fast descenders,  quite a few joined the fast group, and the average went down to 16-17, which I could easily have managed. Next time….
    4970193763_eac430e9fc.jpg
    A few more not-too-taxing climbs, another splendid lunch at Vaux-en-Seine (today's sweet special- eclairs), which did seem a little more rushed for the last to arrive, and at 1 pm  the reunified group headed into the City of Light. Not only did we make good time, we were early enough to need to take a couple of short breaks in the outer suburbs. The reception we got in the city was as warm as in the country, and we hit that deadline precisely on time. The final approach to the Arc, fittingly enough the Avenue de la Grande Armée, was absolutely amazing. The cobblestones weren't as bad as I feared (we'd ridden over some thankfully short sections in the country that were really uncomfortable), but I was still glad to have 25mm tyres and gel pads under the bar tape. We were quickly ushered off the road and we soaked up the atmosphere, plus copious quantities of beer and wine (I did drink a glass of wine, which quickly reminded me that I don't like the taste of alcohol. Sir John and his wife presented us all with finishing medals, before the final remembrance ceremony of our trip, in the Arc itself.
    4970201613_9bdab075a3.jpg
    4970206873_2fc30b5df4.jpg
    What happened next put me, I'm ashamed to say, in a absolutely foul mood for several days. We lined up either side of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Myself, and the vast majority of my fellow riders, paid the correct respect to both the location and the occasion, but a few did not. Someone next to me compared the line up of five dignitaries who were to lay wreaths to the opening of Reservoir Dogs- he did apologise when I complained- while others seemed to think posing for photos or cracking jokes was appropriate behaviour. Feet away from a tomb…I've emailed Dan Solley, the event co-ordinator, about that, and he has told me that I wasn't the only person to be offended, and a reminder about showing respect would be made next year. I was absolutely fuming, and the train of thought I went on wasn't pleasant. The sponsorship money I'd got in was pitifully small- less than a quarter of my £800 target- but if people actually doing the ride could be so disrespectful, how could I expect anyone else to take it seriously and donate? I didn't feel any sense of achievement at completing the ride either- in a sense, I still don't, as it felt really straightforward, though that was down to all the training I'd done and the excellent support from the crew. But the one thought above all else that was going through my mind that day, and for a while afterward, was 'Why did I bother?' It seemed that I might as well have stayed at home and just made a donation to the Legion instead.  

After that, one final ride on cobbles down the Champs-Elysees and then on to Les Invalides, where the bikes were loaded for their trip back to London, and we went on to our hotel. 60 miles for the day. I didn't go to the champagne reception, spent as little time at the final dinner as  possible, and wasn't very pleasant company when I was there. The Eurostar back to London couldn't come quickly enough.
    4970846966_ef3eb40989.jpg
    I've calmed down about all that now, and though I still can't be happy about the amount I've raised, I intend to do the ride again next year, as I'd quickly decided I'd like to on day one. On the whole, it was an absolutely brilliant experience, with many great memories, shared with some great people, and the many good things I'd heard about P2P proved to be entirely deserved. If you want to do a charity ride and you don't have another cause you'd like to support- or you have room for another in your life- make it this one, you won't regret it. The Legion's work is as important as ever, and their team's efforts make it almost as simple as 'turn up and ride'. Well, almost….

And if you've enjoyed reading this and feel like making a donation, thank you in advance, there's a link in the sig :)
    4970220751_cc55ce75a9.jpg
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Here's one, not quite up to Stuaff's meag-trip, but it was a ride.

Go back a year or so and I had a thread on here about doing my first century in donkey's years. Loads of advice flowed, about eating & drinking properly in the run up, what tools & spares to take, how much Savlon or whatever to smear round the gentleman's area to relieve any soreness etc, and where to stop for a break at lunchtime (The cafe at Moneyash just south of Buxton, very nice IIRC). And I did it then, 107 miles weighed down like a refugee 'just in case'.

Fast forward 15 months to Saturday and the opportunity to do the same route popped up, 103 miles from the farm to the in-laws up near Rochdale. The prospect of another day of keeping up a good steady pace, up through Burton on Trent, through our Keiran's old stamping ground at Hatton [still expected a mysterious cloaked figure to jump out at the level crossing], and on to Ashbourne before the mighty hills of Buxton, Glossop & Ashton U Lyme loom into view and bring the pace down a bit.Only this time I set off as if on the commute to work, with just a bag of liquorice allsorts, a couple of gel bars and some Nuun tabs for additonal needs. And some money. And the Walkman loaded with cheesy 70s & 80s pop stuff to keep the mood up just in case.

What a ride. Hit Ashbourne bang on schedule, where I got ticked off in Sainsburys for taking the bike in to buy a sandwich. Avoided the cafe at Moneyash to go straight through to Buxton, and then got stuck into The Alps between Chapel en le Frith & Glossop. When you know what to expect they're a bit of fun, unlike last year's effort when I thought the middle of the three climbs was never going to end. And the big climb out of Hollingworth near Ashton, heading toward Manchester - humungus. One long arrow-straight climb on the main road that looks a mile long and 1 in 1, and ¾ of the way up it diverts right onto another climb of a similiar nature. Joyously there were a couple of youths a good way ahead on the path to chase down, one on a MTBSO the other on a road bike sort of thing. Nice, gliding past them in a neat straight regular rhythm whilst they weaved about the place. Don't look back. Never look back.

And then the dubious bits through Oldham, Shaw & Lees, where you keep going as it looks like the sort of place where you'll lose your wheels & most of your personal possesions if you stop. They're probably salt of the earth decent folk, but y'never know. So onwards, and still upwards. Don't they have downhills in t'north?

In the end it all sort of just happened; arrived a bit later than the ETA due to a pinch puncture at Buxton, and rolled up to a warm welcome & a cup of tea. Nice. Big regret now is not topping it off with a run up & back down Blackstone Edge (A58 to Halifax) just up the road. That's another good climb, one of my favourites - probably could have done it but it was starting to get a bit gloomy, and what else is there to prove to yourself once you've done 103 miles across the Peak District?

Massive enjoyment factor [if you take out the puncture + hassle of getting the tyre back on], and proof that 100 mile rides don't need much in the way of additional planning, equipment and fitness. It's all in the skull. If you reckon you can do it, you probably can even it does take you 10 hours to do it. Me? 6h 35m in the saddle, 8h or so end to end. Next up - Blenheim Palace 100 in a couple of weeks.

Did the 100 on Saturday; Sunday had a session on the banked track at the Manchester Velodrome. If you ever get the chance give this a blast - it costs a tenner and for that you get a track bike [fixie, no brakes], a helmet and an hour to do your stuff. It's a lot of fun, but not quite my thing TBH. The view from the top of the banking in the bends is quite something, and if you want that speed rush point the bike at the bottom of the banking halfway round the bend and launch yourself towards the floor, after the obligatory shoulder check obviously. Gauranteed to raise a smile. As did passing Wendy Houvenaghel in reception. You know how professional athletes look like professional athletes? Lean, trim, purposeful? She looks the part. Disappointingly drives a Vectra tho. I'd hoped for something more in keeping with the image. :wink:
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Well done StuAff and CiB - all I've got to report is that I cycled into work today, the first miles on the bike in 4 weeks or so.

Very pleased to be back on the bike, the collarbone seems fine. Off to the hospital on Wednesday for an xray and hopefully the nod that I can start cycling again, cough cough.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @Benno - good stuff! 8) You gonna ride to the hospital?

I was sort of riding yesterday. My eldest sussed out how to ride a bike. Well chuffed. I need to find out when you start them racing...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm still teaching my youngest, though I think she'll have it cracked in another couple of sessions (for which my back will be very grateful...)

Also took my new (second hand) TT bike out for its first spin, in Richmond Park, on Sunday afternoon. Possibly the most stupid idea I've ever had, given that the whole point of the bike is to ride at speeds >20mph without touching the brakes, and the (copious) traffic in the park was all doing 20, slowing down to 10 or less whenever a deer was visible. I actually scalped a car up Sawyer's Hill, it was that bad :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:

I was sort of riding yesterday. My eldest sussed out how to ride a bike. Well chuffed. I need to find out when you start them racing...

Cheers CJ, I'll be driving to the hospital - wouldn't fancy leaving my bike unattended around there. I'll be driving home then to get the bike and go into work though!

Soooo, you getting your eldest carbon or Ti as a reward? :wink: -

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Cheers CJ, I'll be driving to the hospital - wouldn't fancy leaving my bike unattended around there. I'll be driving home then to get the bike and go into work though!

Hope the recovery goes well.
    Soooo, you getting your eldest carbon or Ti as a reward? :wink: -

Heh heh. Anyone know if it's too young to put them on the turbo?

@TGOTB - it's been a long road... Bought them both an Islabike recently. Oddly, she cracked it on the smaller bike, but it looks too small when she's pedalling, so I'll put her on her own bike soon. That path by the Ballet School in RP is a good place for them to practice/weave all over the shop.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Did this route yesterday with Attica & JG
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/detail/23763458/

Okay so it's not exactly the most hilly route in the world, nicely lumpy with two short steep climbs, quite interesting watching JG rapidly disappearing into the distance up a 16% climb :shock:

The steak & ale pie, followed by cheese cake with icecream was most welcome, oh and the beer was good too :wink:
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:
    Did this route yesterday with Attica & JG
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/detail/23763458/

Okay so it's not exactly the most hilly route in the world, nicely lumpy with two short steep climbs, quite interesting watching JG rapidly disappearing into the distance up a 16% climb :shock:

The steak & ale pie, followed by cheese cake with icecream was most welcome, oh and the beer was good too :wink:

Link didn't work. Sounds like a good day. I was out myself. Some of you might recognise the route, bit of climbing there too...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/51389775
    Great fun, weather fortunately OK for it, though doing a ride like that when you've got a couple of saddle sores is not a good idea (!!).
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Manche-Méditerranée, 1120km, 11 days :)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ian.B wrote:

Fantastic report, had me on the edge of my seat willing you on.

</end sarcasm>Must've been an epic, do tell more.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Attica wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:

Fantastic report, had me on the edge of my seat willing you on.

</end sarcasm>Must've been an epic, do tell more.

I thought it would be a counterpoint to StuAff’s epic report above!

I’ve never done anything like this before, so it was very satisfying to have made it all the way, and very enjoyable too! I did roughly 100km a day and was pleased to have judged my capabilities just right.
    Basically due south from Le Havre after the overnight ferry (crossing the Pont de Normandie, which was fun), then turned left-ish at Montauban, north of Toulouse, and reached the Med at Gruissan. I chose a pretty flat route on the whole; the toughest stretch was from the Lot valley over to the Tarn valley, which was very up and down; the biggest climb was 500m, up to 800m at the top, over the Montagne Noir NE of Carcassonne.
    I was blessed with mostly warm sunny weather (only one wet day), no mechanicals of any note and no failed body parts. Not a single puncture even – the only glitches were a failed computer battery (easily replaced), a loose cleat bolt and a bit of tape needed on a mudguard stay.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ian.B wrote:

I’ve never done anything like this before, so it was very satisfying to have made it all the way, and very enjoyable too! I did roughly 100km a day and was pleased to have judged my capabilities just right.
    Basically due south from Le Havre after the overnight ferry (crossing the Pont de Normandie, which was fun), then turned left-ish at Montauban, north of Toulouse, and reached the Med at Gruissan. I chose a pretty flat route on the whole; the toughest stretch was from the Lot valley over to the Tarn valley, which was very up and down; the biggest climb was 500m, up to 800m at the top, over the Montagne Noir NE of Carcassonne.
    I was blessed with mostly warm sunny weather (only one wet day), no mechanicals of any note and no failed body parts. Not a single puncture even – the only glitches were a failed computer battery (easily replaced), a loose cleat bolt and a bit of tape needed on a mudguard stay.

... and now I'm utterly jealous.
    Sounds fantastic
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    53 miles on the Brickhills Challenge this morning, a tough little event put together by North Bucks RC starting & finishing at the Open University on the south side of Milton Keynes and taking in the area between therre & Leighton Buzzard.

Gawd it was hard, a collection of decent climbs linked by narrow back lanes and more climbs including a 12% hill that felt more like 15 - a real leg burner, that one.

Hard but fair, I'd like to think, trouble is I haven't been on the bike for nearly 3 weeks, base fitness has collapsed and I'n now oficially shagged.

A good event, and well supported.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    A nice run with the Kingston Wheelers today. Just the club run so only clocked up 48 miles but managed to be first up Box Hill, not a bad effort given that I started at the back of the group. Legs feel tired now so I think I'm going to be easy meet on Embankment tomorrow :oops:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • stuaff
    Attica wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:

... and now I'm utterly jealous.
    Sounds fantastic
    +1. Fantastic indeed.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Here's my ride report...

1/2 day work Friday so me and 2 mates could catch the 4.06 to Exeter from Paddington as we headed off to Ilfracombe for Saturday's C2C to Plymouth, mostly offroad. Plenty of pre-planning meant we had all the transport there and back sorted (guy from work was meeting us at Plymouth so we could be driven home late Saturday night), accomodation for one night, bikes all serviced etc.

I enjoyed my ride into Central London - a first for me. Train bang on time, journey time surprisingly short. At Exeter we asked the guard if it was OK to take 3 bikes on the train for the next bit (had been adivsed only 2 per train allowed). However he was very laid back about it and said it wouldn't be a problem - excellent. Train to Barnstaple with request stops no less!! Arrived at 8pm and headed off along the Tarka trail, promptly got lost, backtracked a bit, ended up taking the A361 to Ilfracombe. Cue the realisation that one of our party was not great on hills, which in turn led me to make a passing comment whilst waiting for 15 minutes for him to catch up that things didn't bode well for the Saturday! I needn't have worried...

Finally made it to Ilfracombe (fantastic descent into the town with fierce cross winds). Discovered that mate who had organised everything else didn't actually know where B&B he'd booked was. Approached a whole host of locals as we edged nearer and nearer (including a woman and her dog who, on realising she had sent us the wrong way ran through assorted alleyways to head us off and re-direct us - great commitment!). Arrived at the B&B around 10pm, paid £3 each for a sandwich(!!!!) and then my friend Pat uttered the words that were to prove our downfall... 'Shall we nip over to the pub for one?"

Here follows a summary of the rest of the night, bearing in mind the scheduled departure time for the ride was 7.30am... One quickly became 2 then 3. Then one of the regulars (drunk, pretty, liking the 'London geezers') decided to become barmaid. She charged £2.70 for a pint, offering £4 change from a fiver! That was the last we paid... Cue assorted cocktails and drinking games; building a Halfords ladies pink bike with 2 surfer guys at 3am; counselling landlady's daughter over the inappropriate body language from the earlier regular's husband; drying tears of said landlady's daughter as she laid her soul bare; drying tears of landlady herself as I analysed her failing marriage; carrying my friend Pat back to the B&B after his knee popped twisting on a barstool (having left him outside for 2 hours on account of the tear-drying); persuading my other friend to call it a day at 7am; finally leaving the pub at 9am (details omitted). :wink:

We were kicked out of the B&B at 11. Our driver diverted and got to us at 2 (we were back in the pub waiting for him!). Loaded up, went home, back at 10.15pm (42 hours without sleep) - no great ride but something magical about the whole randomness of the adventure. Funny how things turn out...

:D
    Still breathing.....
  • itboffin
    So hambones this pub is where exactly ...?
  • itboffin
    Dons cape and heads for the door humming theme tune from Superman ....

I might be some time.
  • itboffin
    Lovely day nice ride, nice wine and radox bath

Rest day tomorrow, phew!