Ride Reports

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ah that explains the total lack motivation this morning, I have a bloody cold coming on - felt that weird tingle in the sinuses just after i came home now its raging full on - joy!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • like lot of the others went for a spin around Richmond Park as I was in the area and to test the new chain.

didn't go far due to a Dynamo rider. see rants thread.

so limped to the pen ponds cafe, and had breakfast etc.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Little trip to Malmesbury and back - lovely in the spring sunshine
  • itboffin
    there's an audax that passes through my village every year i was surprised to see a full clad Dynamo rider sure he was surprised to see an 'older' SCRer riding a fixed Dolan track bike wearing rolled up jeans in a leafy Windshire vill-'arge.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Just did my first sportive of the year in glorious sunshine! I went with a friend and we entered the bronze group as we were a bit intimidated by all the club gear and lycra, after 10 mins at 17 mph we decided to break away from the others and ended up doing it in the gold time :D. Others managed it in the fast group about 10 mins quicker but we were still chuffed with our time/fitness levels. I have well and truly got the bug now.
  • Just been to Cromarty on my usual tour of the Black Isle

Crom1.jpg

Was pretty calm when I set off but on the return leg on the north shore, the wind had reached 25 mph on the nose - long uphill, exposed and dead straight road is character-building to say the least. You know you're in trouble when you're pedalling hard downhill in the small ring!

CromRideMap.jpg
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • How sticky are those tyres holding the bike to the ground!

looks nice, i've found drops really help in the wind which is good as my bike only has one gear.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I was ill for the first weekend in March, then for most of the following week so was itching to get out. Had a very gentle pootle with my Brother on Sunday to test the legs and lungs - now v happy with my Broomfield hill segment! (http://app.strava.com/rides/5053199#96240897).

Had the day off yesterday and was finally feeling well (aside from a cough), so decided to aim for a good long ride. Weather forecast said sun and 15 degrees, so clad in shorts and a jersey I headed out towards Windsor. It was still misty by the time I got to Windsor Park, but was lovely and peaceful. From Windsor I headed over towards Ascot and then down to Farnbrough past the army bases and rifle ranges. Was getting a little cold by now but a steady climb appeared and warmed me up!

I hadn't realised there were MOD ranges around Pirbright, so the crackle of small arms gave me a serious fright as I rode past! From Pirbright I skirted round the south of Woking then headed for Send and Ripley, then onto Horsley. Stopped at the Cricketers at Downside for a pint of Pepsi and a bag of crisps. Was close to bonking by then after 75 miles. Stupidly I hadn't really brought enough food with me. Cracked on back to Kingston via Cobham. Hit Kingston and realised I wasn't going to hit the 100 miles so headed out towards Hampton court and back. Then into RP and back to Wandsworth. Rode past my house with 98 miles on the clock so headed up to Southfields and back, despite my legs screaming "enough."

Ended up riding 101 miles w/an av speed of 18mph (which Strava downgraded to 17.9). The sun appeared when I was about 70 miles in which was very welcome. Garmin issues seem to have resolved as well, although I went wrong 3 times.

All in all, a satisfying day in the saddle. No back pain to report. Flagged in parts, but the training is working and correct fuelling would help properly. I can't think of a better way to spend a Monday!
  • itboffin
    i hate you and will be putting chilli power in your chamois cream and laxatives in your coffee

Someone fix the bloody smilies before i explode
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Just been to Cromarty on my usual tour of the Black Isle

Crom1.jpg

Was pretty calm when I set off but on the return leg on the north shore, the wind had reached 25 mph on the nose - long uphill, exposed and dead straight road is character-building to say the least. You know you're in trouble when you're pedalling hard downhill in the small ring!

Is the Black Isle in Australia?
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Just looked at a ride last month on Strava; Staple Lane, Whitedown & Box Hill and lo and behold it seems I was accompanied on my ride by two young lady pro-cyclists from the USofA road team - Amanda Miller & Robin Farina. :)

A bit of artistic licence re accompanied, they passed me on Box Hill, their manager "talking" to them via a loudhailer. I remember them passing as he had a very stong german accent and was telling them that the humps will have been removed for the actual race.

Couldn't believe it,they went straight past the NT cafe at the top, I was all set to buy them a cup o' tea and a bit o' cake!!

I might be tempted back to them thar hills tomorrow if the BBC weather forecast is to be believed.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    KevEss wrote:
    Just looked at a ride last month on Strava; Staple Lane, Whitedown & Box Hill and lo and behold it seems I was accompanied on my ride by two young lady pro-cyclists from the USofA road team - Amanda Miller & Robin Farina. :)

A bit of artistic licence re accompanied, they passed me on Box Hill, their manager "talking" to them via a loudhailer. I remember them passing as he had a very stong german accent and was telling them that the humps will have been removed for the actual race.

Couldn't believe it,they went straight past the NT cafe at the top, I was all set to buy them a cup o' tea and a bit o' cake!!

I might be tempted back to them thar hills tomorrow if the BBC weather forecast is to be believed.

3ob3e5.jpg

Hmmm, I don't think that one works so well.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Day off, sun out, time to destroy the legs.

Having done 120miles this week it was never going to be blistering awesomeness but just needed to go long... and explore an interesting looking loop.

http://app.strava.com/rides/5249286

1948 Olympic Road Race Circuit
    http://app.strava.com/segments/874186

Rode a few loops before doing the same at Richmond Park.

How do they compare? The Olympic loop isn't a cycling mecca but it is super smooth and super quiet at the right time. You are taken through a mixture of public roads and the queens back garden but I was never slowed by cars like in RP. It doesn't have the short sharp climbs and descents as RP but the scenery is still fantastic as you look over Windsor. It is certainly worth a few laps but note it isn't quite the Strava mecca either, there are 4 gates to navigate, three that require you stopping to push a button and on busy days people and horses also use the roads; go when its quiet! Even today I had to really slow down for horses and people.

Footage of the race: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/olympics-2

It appears I may have looped backwards! :lol:
  • iPete
    Two rides this bank holiday:

Southampton across the Jurassic coast to Weymouth. http://app.strava.com/rides/6348234

Highly recommend the riding around the coastline here. It was a slow one as I nursed a hangover and two rookies.
    Stunning scenery throughout and plenty of challenging climbs including Kingston Hill! The reward for managing this is a trip to the Square and Compass pub.
    IMG_1558-PS.jpg

Happy with 5th given the state of my head and that first spot is taken by a Pro :shock:
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1059144

Then the day after was Southampton to London http://app.strava.com/rides/6406758
    On a mission to avoid the nasty A roads I've used before I did a great job of finding a generally very quiet route until Hook where I'm happy with that stretch of the A30.
    Going solo the speed went up and managed close to 20mph average for the last 30 miles and where it was actually flat found some good speed: http://app.strava.com/segments/1200016

Considering I had no speedo, very happy. Time to buy a Garmin 800, fed up of stop start stop check route start - repeat.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    068.jpg_595.jpg

I was faced with this - 6 times :( It hurt
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Saturday morning - headed out to Windsor and back for a quick 30 miles, which was very nice, especially as I was wheeling into the drive my phone rang and its my bro to tell me I have a new niece :)

Sunday morning - headed out Cobham, Bookham, Polesdon Lacey, Ranmore, Holmbury... phone rings. "Baby Cat has picked up my hair straighteners and burnt his thumbs. Can you come home?" Gah! So my big Sunday ride was cut short. Still, an enjoyable 40 miles and Baby Cat is fine. :)
  • iPete
    okgo wrote:
    068.jpg_595.jpg

I was faced with this - 6 times :( It hurt

That's my 16% trumped :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Baby Cat has picked up my hair straighteners and burnt his thumbs.
    Glad he's ok. But, why do you have hair straighteners?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Trouer-press for when travelling, natch.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Smegging rain and wind today. No ride. Bum.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    SimonAH wrote:
    Smegging rain and wind today. No ride. Bum.

Ah need to be a Mud Lover, or at least Rain Lover.

Took the MTB out to Newlands Courner, rolled along the ridge of the North Downs till, Ranmore, before heading towards Leith Hill, where I had coffee and cake in the rain before rattling down and up some trails to Peaslake. and then on to Shere before up to the ridge and to the car.

26miles and ni on 3,000 ft of climbing on downhill tyres, so i've earned my beer!
  • Moderately hard 78miler today, 3274ft of climbing, as part of my preperation for London Revolution. Worked hard to keep heart rate in Zones 2/3, managed to do so for all but 28min of the 5h 46m ride. Quite pleased with that as my target was under 6 hours.

Was chilly at first 3degC and the first 40miles were into a 8 - 10mph headwind :(, sadly it didnt seem to become a tailwind too much after I turned for home and the wind got stronger and more variable... and the later temperatures varied from 7degC to 15degC as the wind came and went...

The first half was out to Aylesbury via Kings Langley, Berkhamstead and Tring, characterised by long gentle climbs in the main, and the return via the Chilterns, The Missendens, Beaconsfield and the Chalfonts, a lot more short painful climbs on tired legs, with one 500m section @ 20% :( and a few around the 15-16% mark - ouch.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Attempted a long MTB run through Sussex today... cruelly cut short when my mate's Maxle snapped! He'd just finished a fairly technical downhill, and we were only just moving off, so no harm done, but still that could've been hairy!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    davis wrote:
    Attempted a long MTB run through Sussex today... cruelly cut short when my mate's Maxle snapped! He'd just finished a fairly technical downhill, and we were only just moving off, so no harm done, but still that could've been hairy!
    Blimey, that's scary. Aren't they meant to be stronger? Glad it was low speed.
  • EightOhEight
    EightOhEight Posts: 170
    84 miles with 5,700ft climbing. Training for my first Dartmoor classic... Criss-crossed the Mendips all day, kept passing the Black Rat sportive. Got home with enough gas in the tank to cook the Sunday roast.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Did London Revolution this weekend with 4 colleagues from work, 3 of whom are regular club riders and one whose training consisted of a few hours lapping the local park.

He turns up on one of these:

41tLukWTaoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

though fitted with spds and Gatorskin tyres... think it weighs as much as the other bikes put together. Twistgrip gear shift that couldn't reliably get into the big ring despite some fettling attempts by Bikeworks at the start

Told me he'd paid £167 on Amazon but found he could have got it in Brick Lane bike shop for £100 (I hadn't the heart to tell him it would probably have been a stolen one :lol: )

Have to give it him though, he kept up and almost made it all the way without pushing, tho the last km of the climb up Hesiers Hill on the North Downs had him beat, the lack of serious hill training finally showing. Give this guy a proper bike and some training....
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Veronese68 wrote:
    davis wrote:
    Blimey, that's scary. Aren't they meant to be stronger? Glad it was low speed.

Yes, could've been a proper... situation, and they're supposed to be strong. Apparently there have been a few tales of them snapping, even though they're 12mm tubes at the rear.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Did a local 60 mile sportive yesterday and got round as the first group of four on the road and was 2 mph up on last year :)
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Out from Clapham via ridiculous meeting point at Royal Albert Hall, through Richmond Park and on to what for me is uncharted territory - Box Hill.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Furthest I've ever cycled at 65 miles. I much prefer 104km actually. Previous longest is 45.

Got up Box Hill and we all looked at each other and said: "Is that it?" Then we completed the loop that they'll be using for the Olympics and, to be fair, there's a bit of climbing involved.

Wish we hadn't gone out like we were riding a time trial at the start because the wind was killed on the way back home and it was insanely hot at times.

Averaged a smidge under 16mph, which I'm fairly pleased with. I''ll be looking to improve on that significantly next time.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Chadders81 wrote:

Got up Box Hill and we all looked at each other and said: "Is that it?" Then we completed the loop that they'll be using for the Olympics and, to be fair, there's a bit of climbing involved.

Strangely we had the same thought last weekend when we rode it... 'Is that it?' It was somewhat benign compared to what came later in the day (climbing up onto the North Downs), though no doubt riding it 9 times would have been a killer....