Ride Reports

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Decided to make something of the extra hour, so was out of the house by 5.30am to get home not long after the rest of the tribe woke up.

Headed out to Sunbury, Esher, Walton, skirted Weybridge, back through Esher, up the Portsmouth Road and a lap of RP before heading home for eggs and bacon. Lovely morning for a ride; only started raining in the last half hour.

37.2 miles in total in 2:01:43.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088
    :shock: Blimey, you are desperate to get to that 8000mile total. The littl'un was unaware of the clocks changing, so just woke up an hour early.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    Damn right. Mine woke up just after 7 apparently. Bonza. We ran them into the ground yesterday, though. The eldest saw friends in the morning, tennis, swimming with cycling to and from swimming. The youngest was left drained by the excitement of seeing Peppa Pig and then swimming.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Right, time to build the 'cross bike again.

Ventured out again at 5.45am and it was a bit chillier, so decided to head back earlier and may be do some reps of Star & Garter Hill. After the first time up, I went through the Park as part of the loop back to the bottom, but Ham Gate was closed, so decided to try the commuter on the trail.

Instant fun, so did a couple of reps of the trail on the hill alongside Dark Hill, with a spin to Ladderstile Gate and back to Ham Gate instead. Felt much warmer, so plums to the early morning road rides for the foreseeable. Time to get the crosser out.

30.3 miles.

Time for bacon and eggs. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I was going to comment on the way too early rising on a Sunday morning then I remembered you have children. Carry on :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pub lunch today me thinks, now then should I ride the MTB or the CX :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Taxi? Cab? A designated driver? :)
  • itboffin
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Taxi? Cab? A designated driver? :)

Just back from lunch :roll:

Awesome local beef washed down with several bottles of fine claret - the perfect Sunday afternoon.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    46 miles around the strangely named villages of northumberland. Cold in the shade but loverly in the sun. After leaving the group had the roads to myself and was pure silence.

Then my legs gave out and i limped the last 12 miles home.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Did the Evans Ride It Notts sportive. It was hard. Not enough hills. And there's all these huge blokes who go like the clappers*; you never see them in the hills :(

Still, another 70 miles nearer 10k.....

*clappers = faster than me......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Did the club Hill Climb which was a bit of a killer. My time was middle of the bunch which is ok but will try to do better next year. The winning time in my mind is insane!

Here's a link to the club report for those that are interested.

http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk/AjaxCC/News/2010/HillClimb.asp

After that, did a quick (for me) 25 miles from Caerphilly Mountain out to Barry and back home.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:
    Did the club Hill Climb which was a bit of a killer. My time was middle of the bunch which is ok but will try to do better next year. The winning time in my mind is insane!

Here's a link to the club report for those that are interested.

http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk/AjaxCC/News/2010/HillClimb.asp

After that, did a quick (for me) 25 miles from Caerphilly Mountain out to Barry and back home.

Good result, mate, given that you're not long back from injury and you're not the smallest of blokes.

Btw, that's nearly twice the distance of our hill climb! That's temptingly close to where I'm staying this coming weekend...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    That looks like quite a long course for a hill climb if the fastest time was over 5 minutes. I don't know that particular road very well, although I did ride up to Castell Coch via the Taff Trail a few times when I lived in Cardiff.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    Where did you live in Cardiff, then?

Benno - fancy another pop this weekend? :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:

I was a student there for four years in the late 90s and 2001, so various places in studentland - the big halls of residence in Maindy (shudder), then houses in Roath and Cathays. The climb up over to Caerphilly and back via Thornhill Road was my favourite route, but laps of Roath Park Lake were nice as well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I was a student there for four years in the late 90s and 2001, so various places in studentland - the big halls of residence in Maindy (shudder), then houses in Roath and Cathays. The climb up over to Caerphilly and back via Thornhill Road was my favourite route, but laps of Roath Park Lake were nice as well.

Ah, Llys Talybont. Just down on the river there is where they have a cyclo-cross course. I was in Plas Gwyn, then lived in Cathays. Didn't do any riding there, really, other than commuting and the odd ride up and down the Taff Trail.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    I didn't ride that much myself on account of being stuck behind a drawing board most of the time, but it was a good escape from studying and my flatmates, and Caerphilly Mountain was good for pushing stuff out of your head. I had the misfortune to share a kitchen with a load of business 'studies' (pfft) students at Llys Talybont. Never met such a bunch of over-privileged work-shy ar*eholes before or since.

EDIT: Sorry, seem to have dug up some issues there. Back to talking about bikes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• benno68
    cjcp wrote:

Sounds good CJ - you'll have to wait for me at the top though! I can't use the collarbone as any excuse I'm afraid, I feel completely fine now - I'll time it next week and see if I can do better. I reckon you'll do it in 6:30 or less, now don't let me down :lol:

Someone mentioned that it was 1.37 miles. Having said that one of the guys did the Catford Hill Climb and said that it was shorter but far more brutal!

Hey RJ Sterry, if you've been up past Castell Coch to the top of the mountain you've done the route. The start was just up from the Castle entrance and ended at the layby outside the golf club. I like cycling around Roath Park Lake, try to fit one lap in most mornings.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • rjsterry
    @Benno68: I always turned into the car park though and rode up right up to the castle. A few times, I also wheeled my bike up the steep footpath that zigzags up to the right of the castle, then hopped back on and rode down to pick up the Taff Trail again - a bit daft on an old 10sp road bike with 27x11/4" wheels, but fun.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• benno68
    rjsterry wrote:
    @Benno68: I always turned into the car park though and rode up right up to the castle. A few times, I also wheeled my bike up the steep footpath that zigzags up to the right of the castle, then hopped back on and rode down to pick up the Taff Trail again - a bit daft on an old 10sp road bike with 27x11/4" wheels, but fun.

Nice one sounds like a good laugh. I've not ventured up to the castle on a bike, will probably need to wait for the summer and give it a go, either that or I need to get a CX and a cape. I've already pushed my luck with Mrs Benno getting a second road bike, I don't fancy my chances of talking her into letting me get a third.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:

Good effort!!! I used my hybrid (ahem, when I owned one) to get up there.

@Benno - :lol: no chance. Fancy meeting up Sunday morning for a couple of hours?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    Benno68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Nice one sounds like a good laugh. I've not ventured up to the castle on a bike, will probably need to wait for the summer and give it a go, either that or I need to get a CX and a cape. I've already pushed my luck with Mrs Benno getting a second road bike, I don't fancy my chances of talking her into letting me get a third.

Indeed, CX would have been a better idea.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    What a lovely but cold Sunday ride in Yokel land with Attica, a carefully planned route avoid pretty much all the nasty long steep hills whilst still providing enough short sharp climbs to keep us warm, thankfully the rain & snow stayed away.

Second ride in the Castelli jacket which once again proved its worth, I still need to do something about my choice of base layer though.

38.5 miles
    2 hrs 25 mins
    1 pub lunch stop - natch! :wink:
  • nice ride out to test the MTBing trousers, still a lot of compacted snow aka ice in esher woods, though big wide soft compound mud tyres where sure footed. even over off camber ice covered roots.

though knees haven't recovered yet so are keeping me warm and making *interesting* crunching noises.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    mmmmm...... Thread spelunking.

Spent NYE at a friend's house, and today we'd all be invited to his parents' house for a slap-up New Year's lunch. An opportunity to fit some 'cross tyres to the Pompetamine and test out its off-road manners. Suffice it to say I really didn't keep up with my mate on his Orange Five on the swooping singletrack. Still had a blast though, arrived at his parents' needing a shower and feeding. Bike handled the 20 miles home through winding Sussex lanes and bridlepaths admirably, and I started enjoying just gliding through the rain.

A very sedate 35 miles over 2 days, and I couldn't give a damn about how slow and scared I am now. Awesome.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Well done, good thread to bring back.
    Had a good ride with a couple of mates on Thursday. Rode along the Thames to Weybridge, then followed the Wey Navigation to Pyrford Lock. Had a pint of Badger then cycled back. We got a bit tired so had another pint on the return leg. About 30 leisurely miles on the mountain bike. Very pleasant.
  • itboffin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Well done, good thread to bring back.
    Had a good ride with a couple of mates on Thursday. Rode along the Thames to Weybridge, then followed the Wey Navigation to Pyrford Lock. Had a pint of Badger then cycled back. We got a bit tired so had another pint on the return leg. About 30 leisurely miles on the mountain bike. Very pleasant.

ooo snap I've just had six pints of badgers .... as you were carry on :roll:
  • rjsterry
    I spotted a trio of hardy folk out for a ride in the driving rain between Ogbourne St George and Woodsend in deepest Wiltshire (a diversion to avoid m'way roadworks on the way back to London). One of them was head to toe in Castelli - it seems you have a doppelganger ITB. Anyone on here?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    I spotted a trio of hardy folk out for a ride in the driving rain between Ogbourne St George and Woodsend in deepest Wiltshire (a diversion to avoid m'way roadworks on the way back to London). One of them was head to toe in Castelli - it seems you have a doppelganger ITB. Anyone on here?

hehe not me but could be in about an hours times I'm heading out that way.
  • itboffin
    First ride of the year and not a bad one either, a tad breezy and wet but nothing my 'head to toe' Castelli couldnt handle 8)

Boy have I lost fitness over these last couple of months, tiny hill/ramp after tiny hill/ramp I struggled :oops: