Ride Reports

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
A place to wax lyrical about your most recent non commuting ride, release the inner epic saga :D
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Just the place :P

Last Sunday I went out for the first time in near enough two months and only the second time since Christmas (so much for my 2 rides/100 miles per month!). Since the snow/ice finally cleared, life has been getting in the way of my riding. All my weekends were booked up until this weekend, and the next few weekends are too, so if I wanted to go for a ride it would have to be Sunday 15th.

What a glorious day! I was expecting it to be mild, warm if I was lucky, but I had more of a summer's day than any I recall from last year. Got myself out of bed early, on the train to Chester, and set out to do my usual end-of-winter circuit down to Llangollen and over the Horseshoe Pass and Llandegla Moors, but for a change I went in search of new lanes I hadn't ridden along before.

Saw more roadies than ever before while I was out - must be the sudden good weather - and the little road along the top of the limestone escarpments above the Vale of Llangollen was full of kids on bikes, dog walkers, rock climbers and picnickers. What a day.

Down to Llangollen for my lunch by the canal, then a pootle further up the valley to cross Llantysilio Mountain on a little road I hadn't ridden before... I should have known with all the chevrons on the map it was a bad idea, especially with my lack of riding this year. I suffered, badly. It crippled me, and the rest of the ride back to Chester (25 miles) was all about survival. Not helped by the fact that despite filling both bottles up in Llangollen, just an hour or so before, I'd finished my water again and the 2 or 3 places along the way I thought I could have topped up with water were all shut.

But, it was a cracking day and hopefully a sign of things to come, weather-wise :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hey Iain! How's the new job? (I'm deliberately creating an immediate tangent in ITB's thread :twisted: )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    It's ace thanks, I can actually engage my brain at work now instead of 7-8 hours of boring tedium, I now share an office with people who do more than moan, and I get paid more.

But I haven't been able to spend half as much time on here as I used to (hence your deliberate tangent is a bit lost on me :P )
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    ITB

I just looked at your training diary:

HTF did you manage to do minus 25 miles on the 15th?
  • itboffin
    jimmypippa wrote:
    ITB

I just looked at your training diary:

HTF did you manage to do minus 25 miles on the 15th?

It's not a minus in that sense, my target is 150 miles a week, so that would be 150 +25 extra - I like it that way.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Warning LARGE post alert.
  • itboffin
    Once upon a time is a county far far away a brave youngish warrior ventured out from his castle to find a glorious English spring morning, the sky as clear blue as the sea, the birds singing with the joys of summer................[scratch]Enter stage left our intrepid explorer, winter bib tights and Team PBK Ireland short sleeved jersey[/scratch]

My bike (Trek 1.7) having been stripped to the frame the day before was quite literally pumped and ready for action, the day near perfect cycling weather, time 10:30 ish Tuesday 17th March 2009.

Setting off from château itboffin deep in the heart of Wiltshire I immediately turn right onto the A338 towards Hungerford passing on the way through tiny village of East Grafton all the while remembering that today's ride started 12 miles away and pacing is the order of the day, several times having to chastise myself for breaking into a sprint, damn you downhill sections.

Turning right at the hamlet of Marten I begin the first hilly ripple leading to Oxenwood and beyond, all around me in the glorious morning sunshine the birds are singing and the Apache helicopters of the Army Air corp are buzzing the hills in the distance. I just had to stop and take in the view here truly a stunning sight as the gentle greens of the fields mix and match slowly bending down the valley plus I need a pee break.

Up and over the bump into Oxenwood I find myself amazed once again just how quiet it is here no more than 2 miles from the main road. Here I find myself considering today's planned ride and suddenly realising I've left my saddle bad behind, no tools of any kind, doh!

No time to turn back now a quick call back to the 'support team' is ignored, i'm on my own, oh well what could go wrong.

From here it's down hill slightly all the way to the start point in Hurstbourne Tarrant passing through the Hampshire villages of Fosbury, Vernham Dean, Upton & Ibthorpe along the way, I can't help starring at the meandering stream on my left and the steep slopes on my right happy in the knowledge today's ride should be flat, but forgetting to watch my speed and before I knew it i'm pushing the 20s and grinning from ear to ear, order is restored as I reach the start having clocked a slow average of 15 mph.

At the cross roads of Hurstbourne Tarrant and the A343 I glanced right at the 14% hill climbing towards Andover, smile and cross straight over (B3048) following the river on my right, it's at this point it clicks that this road whilst not only butter smooth is also pan flat, mmmmh how long can this last?

“Morning”, As I pass the first of today's many cyclists quickly followed by number two, three, four, WTF people why aren't you at work? It's Tuesday.

Before I know it i'm passing through Stoke then Saint Mary Bourne heading towards Hurstbourne Priors, two things cross my mind at this point god I need to pee AGAIN! and I've not seen a car for the last 6 miles....

It would be wrong to pee behind a bus shelter, right?!

Time for a quick GPS check, left to the B3400 it is then (I knew that) over the A34 which was fantastically busy, funny that and onto Whitchurch, time warp!!!! “it's just a jump to the left and then a step to the righttttt, lets do the time warp........” Sorry, nice town I must go back, I bet they have a great LBS. Here I stop for the one and only traffic lights of today's ride.

Taking the Newbury Road unsurprisingly towards Newbury, passing over the train tracks again I find my speed creeps into the 20s F*** it, bam i'm doing 30mph woo hoo! Back to Earth I rein in the speed just as I reach Cole Henley and to my surprise find a LBS & bike hire 'sign' outside a remote farm house, I did stop and consider buying a PF kit, nah! The show must go on.

The road from here is nearly four miles of ever so slowly up hill over very rough roads and totally boring landscape then just when you think it will never end there's a short flat section followed by a glorious swooping downhill deep, short rise quickly followed by a punchy short 'n sharp hill (White Hill) which in total contrast brings you out to a stunning view (Watership Down I think), It's at this point I decide to take my lunch break a whole banana a couple of photos a few verses of Bright Eyes and back on the bike for a stupidly fast descent into Kingsclere, totally missing the turning for Old Burghclere never mind, Kingsclere has a public toilet big enough for me and my bike.

Feeling relieved I take the left on to Eccinswell where I had to stop again, wow!!! the view of the downs here is amazing once again that giant smile returns and I wish I could take good pictures, I'm so lucky to have this on my doorstep. Wiggling my way towards Burghclere I'm happy to be heading away from the hills but secretly knowing I'll be seeing that ridge again.

Left at Burghclere and across the A34 again I'm pleased because I'm now into my normal training ground and I know Woolton & Ball Hills not long or hard but fun none the less. Gore End is the next stop and the start of serious potholes and road rubble, loads of twigs, small stones and mud, if it rains these roads will be a nightmare, it rolls fairly hills free from here Kintbury Holt then a sharp left towards Inkpen Common, Upper Green up and over Walbury Hill (Highest Point in SE England) if you've shot your bolt on the flats and down hills before now then you're in big trouble because this ones big, over the top you have to stop and take in the view, I think it's the law.

Fast back down the valley into Combe take care many of the bends are blind and being a popular tourist spot there is the odd car, this road follows the valley floor flat and fast but by now your home free, time to open the tank and give it all you've got. Did I forget to mention the climb back up to Faccombe, doh! - NB: Combe in the name is never a good thing.

At the top of the hill the hamet of Faccome has some of interesting looking houses but past experience tells me i'm 8 miles from the end, up into the big ring and push push push for the final descent flashing though Linkenholt, fast left hand hairpin almost losing it on some loose gravel, sweating buckets in the heat, no time for fear the finish line is in sight (WARNING: steep drop on the left).

By the time I reach Upton i'm sort of disappointment and over joyed at the same time, only 2 miles of track smooth road stands before me and the finish/start line, I could turn right and head for home after all this is the way back but then the “circle” would be broken. Head down hands on the drops full aero position assumed, legs pumping HARD, i'm barely able at this point to see the stunning views that only hours earlier had me grinning like a tourist. Such a shame but inevitable really I'm overtaken far too close by a Volvo driver who reminds me of something I've clearly not noticed by sounding his horn, thanks pal!

When I finally roll back into Hurstbourne Tarrant after quick punch of the air and a trip to the local post office (for sale) it's time for home, the sun is still out and it actually feels warmer, my poor old GPS unit is about to expire, I have a 12 mile home journey and so far no visits from Madam PF – I'll just take it easy on the way back, after all no rush...

Did I F*** WHAM!!! turbos on full, average speed home a cool 22mph, ever so slightly uphill with no regard for mechanicals, life or well being.
    Well that's how I remember it anyway.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    After an upcoming long weekend in NYC (take that, so-called credit crunch!) I'm supposed to be doing Leeds to the Lakes Friday week. The route though the Dales isn't the shortest, but 90 miles and 6000 vertical feet should be do-able. Hope so cos otherwise I'll miss me sister's 30th and she'll never speak to me again.

Since this is ride reports, I suppose I'd better be here in ten days time with tales of how it went. The less interesting the better, hopefully.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Last weekend was my second Sportive of the year- The Burgess Hill Spring Classic

Arrived at the start with plenty of time to spare in glorious sunshine, and very nearly had a flase start. After parking up I started to follow what I thought was a fellow competitor to the start line, it was only when we'd passed the train station and started to see the orange arrows, that I realised all was not as it should be. Still I hadn't gone too far and rolled back down to the sports centre to sign in and await the start. This was more organised than usual with the riders being dispatched in groups of 20, and I set out inthe second group of the day.

The first 20 miles or so were pretty uneventfull, started chasing a group of three in front of me, only for one to drop off the back, and the two left to pick up the pace, which at that stage was a bit too hot for me. I settled into a routine of riding with a few people, and then riding off the front of them as they failed to keep up the pace, eventually I realise I was pulling in the two guys I had been chasing, and was pulling along a few people with me. Seeing the chance to form a nice little group I bridges the gap, but nobody seemed interested in forming a group. By now Kidds Hill was approachinf fast, not that I knew it, and our lose group of half a dozen or so were soon toiling up it. After briefly getting boxed in I decided to up the pace a bit, dropped a gear and went, nobody followed, then I realised why as it just got steeper and steeper untill I ended up back down in 39x25. Hitting the top I wondered what all the fuss was about though, although not the easiest climb it certainly wasn't going to be the hardest of the day.

Now I'd dropped everybody I concentrated on the group on front, another group of half a dozen or so, including soem London Dynamo's. They got to the feed station just before me, and I resolved to have a quick refill of the water bottles and get after them. I picked them up just before Groombridge Hill, which they toiled up, and I wondered if I couldn't have made it a bit faster given my heart rate didn't get above 150 or so. Once the hill was out of the way I decided to take my turn at the front and keep a fairly even effort going. yet again I rode straight off the front and only saw them fleetingly as the field bunched up on some of the climbs.

Now for some fantastic riding arround Ardingly resevoir, ended up riding a few miles with a random bod I'd picked up, down some fantastic descents, and through an unexpected ford :shock: Then came an absolute beast of a climb, he like of which I've never seen before, and I resolved that it wasn't going to beat me.

Again dropped everyone on the next climb, and only dibbed in at the next feed station as I was feeling good. That left a good run in back to the finish, albeit a slightly painful one as I'd been working pretty hard up to this point, most of it alone or at the front of a group. I reeled in a few more riders on my way in, and started passing people on the shorter routes, including one young girl who had fallen off on a climb. It looked as though she had come to a stop and just fallen to the side. It looked like a few grazes and she seemed OK, Mum & Dad assured me she was fine, I hope it didn't spoil the ride too much for her.

Back at HQ now, precious few riders in line for certificates in front of me :lol: and then got it 4:09 for 71 miles with 5500 ft of climbing, according to my computer, and another gold time under my belt :lol::lol::lol: Upon checking the time things got even better when they showed a top 20 finish. I am a god I tell thee, bring on DDD, JB & greg66, you've found your nemesis :wink:

Looking back I can't help but wonder if I couldn't have broken four hours. I just need to have confidence in my own abilities rather than riding with slower groups just for the sake of it. Even so it was a fantastic days riding with great weather

Bring on the Downlands Spring Classic on 19th April. Does anyone fancy joining me for 100 miles arround the lovely Kent countryside?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Wow those are epic posts......

I went to the New Forest (much to ITB's chagrin, not really a forest at all), with ITBoffin

It was lovely weather - I should like to rename myself the good weather fairy

Only a couple of technical hitches (so I am obviously still a "bad omen")

A 49.9 mile pootle (well, okay, I made it up to 50 rolling to the end of the car park) - just under three hours of gloriousness......

Cheers ITB - here's to days off :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:

I went to the New Forest (much to ITB's chagrin, not really a forest at all), with ITBoffin

A 49.9 mile pootle (well, okay, I made it up to 50 rolling to the end of the car park) - just under three hours of gloriousness......

Most enjoyable day great weather and company :D

Must add those were the easiest 50 miles i've ever ridden.

Full report to follow, soonish :wink:
  • Rich158
    linsen wrote:

A consequence of too little to do, and too much time to do it in :?
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Rich158 wrote:
    linsen wrote:

If you knew I had shoehorned it into a manic week and that I returned from the ride to find out that we have OFSTED insepecting my school next week, would that make you feel better?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Epic posts indeed - and how brave to set off without any tools (touch wood I've yet to do this). 19th April sounds good fun, but I have got permission to do the King of the Downs and the Dragon Ride, so I can't push my luck any more. I know, I know :oops:
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Great ride report Rich158!
    Shazam !!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited March 2009
    It was a really nice day

3370670786_3a58a16943_m.jpg

Me and

3369856031_1b1757fb75_m.jpg

Went here

3369835225_b141da7ce1_m.jpg

And we rode past this place

3370659740_d68f054a2a_m.jpg

Where they use this

3369856167_ec3f87d102_m.jpg

To make this

Bushmills_whiskey.jpg

We said hello to

3370678186_c8b5a4e58d_m.jpg

And thought of this

3759_1_296.jpg

It didn't all go well

3369858931_62c5441fdb_m.jpg

But we got to see this

3370693740_af534a17fe_m.jpg

We were getting a bit tired, but this

3370698698_c8aa9e73f8_m.jpg

Meant we were nearly home

(Boo :P for new job on Wednesday)

Edit - Link to route if you interested

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=5259

Total distance - just under 20 mile
    Time taken - couldn't care less
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    This sunday - Bath via the A4. Flat ringroad around Bristol, big road to Bath. Grab a sarnie in Bath and head back on the cyclepath, shouting at old people and flattening small dogs!!

About 40 miles in total - longest I can leave the dog for though, before she needs out :-(

Generally stay off the cyclepath as it gets full in summer and slows up quite a bit.
  • Rich158
    linsen wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    linsen wrote:

If you knew I had shoehorned it into a manic week and that I returned from the ride to find out that we have OFSTED insepecting my school next week, would that make you feel better?

Much better, it's those rides that are shoe horned into a manic week that I find most satisfying. Being able to escape the everyday streses are what makes riding so important :lol::lol:

and if it's any consolation I've just found work is going to be absolutely manic for the next 6 months or so after months of reltive inactivity :shock:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I'll wait with baited breath what Rich158 gets up to this weekend. I look forward to seeing him cane it past me on the Fred now he is Bicycle Race Man!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Epic posts indeed - and how brave to set off without any tools (touch wood I've yet to do this). 19th April sounds good fun, but I have got permission to do the King of the Downs and the Dragon Ride, so I can't push my luck any more. I know, I know :oops:

Attica, ITB and I are Dragon Riding as well, see you in Wales!
  • Rich158
    Feltup wrote:
    I'll wait with baited breath what Rich158 gets up to this weekend. I look forward to seeing him cane it past me on the Fred now he is Bicycle Race Man!

Rich is going to have a very gentle ride around the Suffolk coast on Sunday morning following his 40th birthday celebrations the night before :shock:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Rich158 wrote:
    Feltup wrote:

Rich is going to have a very gentle ride around the Suffolk coast on Sunday morning following his 40th birthday celebrations the night before :shock:

Happy birthday, old chap. Read your recent posts. A glittering career in the vets awaits. :)
  • itboffin
    Where are all the hills…?

Pay attention there will be a test at the end.

Twas a beautiful spring (almost) afternoon warm with a gentle sea breeze, the place Lyndhurst in the New Forest the time slightly later than advertised, the scene is set for the maiden voyage of my new Dolan cyclocross bike, wisely I’d chosen to make this first sojourn on road and on the flat, where flatter than the New Forest.

Starting out from the gravel car park (Bolton’s Bench) in Lyndhurst we (Linsen & I, Linsen kitted out in full team Marmite) turned left along the busy A337 towards Brockenhurst, we are barely 2 miles in before ‘the witches curse’ strikes me down, my chain sticks changing up to the big ring, my CX project was reasonably low budget so I’d opted for a compact chainset, damn 34t is so spinney, I guess this is going to be an afternoon in the big ring ;)

Chain back on I off of course Linsen hasn’t heard or seen my mechanical so she’s way off in the distance no doubt cackling and the success of her evil spell, being a pure power house I’m quickly back on her wheel, drafting, yeh so what!!! this stretch of road was very busy which was a shame as it made conversation difficult likewise spoilt my enjoyment of the lovely ancient forest.

Before we knew it were through Brockenhurst and swiftly approaching Setley, still troubled by my sticking chain I’m cautiously changing gears well in advance or pacing myself whichever you please. On approaching a local hill (pimple) crunch I have my second chain related incident, same as before, grrrrr! Chain back on a then all of a sudden there’s a very loud ‘ping’ which calls me to a full stop, I know that sound and a quick check reveals the answer, once again the machine like power being transmitted from my chiselled thighs has broken the chain, it had nothing to do with getting stuck twice and perhaps being weaken, pure power I tell you.

As a good boy scout and knowing I would be cycling with Linsen I of course brought every spare part and tools humanly possible in a saddle bag, time for a quick KMC missing link and off we go AGAIN, the same chain problem still existing and is threatening to end this afternoons ride before we’ve even started, the most sensible course of action is to stop at the pub for lunch….. but of course I was terribly terribly drunk!

Over a conversation regarding the course, traffic, club rides vs social, how fantastic we are and so much better than all of YOU I pulled out my TOOL and set to randomly turning and tightening screws in the vain hope of looking even more cool and knowledgeable, bingo the first screw was a success, removing a little tension from the bottom jockey wheel and once again things are running smoothly in the process I managed to fiddle and spoil the indexing on my rear derailleur, never mind I like a little rubbing and noise ☺.

With lunch dispatched, tools back in the bag Linsen produces a 1:1 scale map of the whole of Britain and proceeds to point a grubby finger at various route options in the pretence of pretending to know where we are or where were going, I was not fooled. In a desperate attempt to slow me down she attacks my bike throwing it too the ground and kicking several times or something like that.

Right back on the road we head back the way we’ve just come, see I told you she was lost ALREADY! finally off the main road we encounter the first of many many ponies on today’s ride, awwh ponies ☺ upping the pace gently we pass a pack of oldies riding all over the place in a manner very similar to Greg66.

more to follow shortly…..
  • Rich158
    edited March 2009
    Time for the next instalment, this time from Dunwich (all those doing the Dunwich Dynamo take note) and this time it won't be so epic :wink:

Waking with the birds in Dunwich, things felt a little fuzzy after the birthday celebrations the night before, and remember that we really must insist mother puts blind/curtains in the windows and roof lights. Bugger being woken up at dawn again :shock:

Finally drag my sorry self out of bed at about 8ish, don the tarty new kit, and clump arround the house trying to wake little bruv who had promised to come out with me. No one appeared so decided to let him have a lie in, he does have a toddler to contend with after all.

I finally wobble off at about 8:30 with no clear idea of where I'm going other it'll be along the coast, so head off over Dunwich Heath in bright sunshine

3379279756_fd5bc12208_b.jpg

The heath is looking fantastic in th eearly morning sun, the birds are singing, and I'm working to the gentle hum of ruber on tarmac and gently whirring gears :lol:

Heading south I plow through a few villages, all looking fantastic, the gears are snicking up and down with precision (yah boo sucks to all you Campag and SRAM users, the big S still works for me).

3379279994_8fe217e9ea_b.jpg

I finally decide to head for Aldeburgh, one of my favourite coastal towns (and home of the best fish and chips I've ever had) so hit the B1152, for a big ring blast down the coast. The legs are working well, I'm holding high 20's, and the gently undulating road is providing just enough resistance to make it a good workout.

Finally hit Aldeburgh, there's always something special about getting to the coast mid ride, and it's just starting to wake up with a few runners and dog walkers on the sea front

3379280230_f5c6a22d34_b.jpg
    3378462509_c900581bb9_b.jpg

Riding along the sea front I can't be bothered to push hard, just pootling along taking in the fine surroundings, and looking at the fresh fish stalls laden with last nights catch. i can't bring myself to secrete wet fish in the new kit so that'll have to wait for anopther day.

Finally I end up at Thorpeness

3379280664_a82eec256e_b.jpg

This is possibly one of the oddest villages I have ever been through. Everything is just a little bit too perfect, and I feel like I've walked on to the set of The Truman Show. A very odd place indeed, and quite intreging, but exploring this odd place will have to wait for another time.

Finally follow the route out back to Dunwich, and hit 30ish a few times. get back in time for breakfast feeling well pleased with myself

25 miles, 1:20 ish, average 19mph, max 32mph

And sorry, I lied about this not being epic :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Rich158 wrote:

Waking with the birds in Dunwich, things felt a little fuzzy after the birthday celebrations the night before, and remember that we really must insist mother puts blind/curtains in the windows and roof lights. Bugger being woken up at dawn again :shock:

I hope the dawn doesn't wake you on the Dunwich Dynamo otherwise you are either asleep in a ditch or have forgotten to leave the feeding station!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rich!

I had the first ride out with the lad I am doing the Fred with on Saturday. He asked me to show him some hills so we set off into the Chilterns. "He wants hills so lets give him Watlington Hill as the first test" I thought to myself as we warmed up by climbing the Stoner Valley. OK so test one and he has pulled out a 150m lead on me. (I should point out that I have been doing some training and he has done bugger all). OK let's try something steeper the 20% climb up to Ibstone
    dammit he's gone again.

Do you see a pattern here?

Every climb he would eeek out a lead and the steeper it was the bigger the lead. The only climb I got to the top first on was because I started in the lead and he couldn't get past because of all the pot holes :?

We continued in to the wilds of Buckinghamshire and popped by Chequers. Gordon wasn't in which was disappointing as Andrew had brought cake!

Turning and running for home I thought one last slog was in order so I led us to the Luxters climb. This one isn't massively steep, only 17%, but it just keeps going and you can see it all in front of you. Perhaps this would be my climb........................

No chance!

So it is safe to say that my climbing leaves a lot to be desired (which is worrying considering I am doing the Fred Whitton) but it was a really nice ride and great to have someone to ride with for a change. We ended up doing 85 miles with 6000ft ascent in about 5.5hrs. What a fantastic day to be out.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    gtvlusso wrote:
    This sunday - Bath via the A4. Flat ringroad around Bristol, big road to Bath. Grab a sarnie in Bath and head back on the cyclepath, shouting at old people and flattening small dogs!!

About 40 miles in total - longest I can leave the dog for though, before she needs out :-(

Generally stay off the cyclepath as it gets full in summer and slows up quite a bit.
    I wonder if we saw you :)

The boyfriend and I did the railway path both ways on Sunday (added up to about 35 miles), 1030amish outbound, about 1230ish homeward start. Averaged about 14mph maybe - he's a bit fitter than me and so pushed me harder, I was wiped out by the time I got home... had to have a nap and everything...

...also was my first day on SPDs, a couple of near-wobbles-over but they were on their loosest setting so always managed to free the foot just in time! The only thing is I may have pulled a bit hard a few times on my poor legs, I have a couple of wee bruises and pain just above my knees now :S
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hmmmmm, a far better idea than posting about other rides in the SCR thread like I've just done...

Hot here. Hot hot hot. 36 degrees. Northerly wind like a fan heater. Valley on fire earlier.

Nice day for riding? Perhaps not...

I drank 1.5 litres of water and 260ml of gatorade on a 20-odd (22 I think) mile round trip with a big hill in the middle of it, unfortunately I decided to take on said big hill with no lunch despite feeling hungry. Silly girl!
  • Rich158
    Cheers Feltup, the actual birthday was back in Feb, this was the first time we could get the whole family together. I've decided I rather like having two birthdays now, extra presents and I get to stretch out the other halfs good will for a month or so :lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like you had quite a day of it. iirc correctly there's some decent hills arround the Chilterns, we used to ride at Aston Hill a lot. I haven't been down that way in ages. The FWC isn't far away, I think it's time to seek out a few local climbs and do some hill reps :shock: It's getting closer and I don't seem to be getting fitter :?

Don't rub it in too much LiT, it's about to get cold and wet back here, I know which I'd rather be riding in. Bring on the rain :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Hi Rich, there are some good steepish i.e. 15% plus hills in the Chilterns but they aren't long enough to get you ready for the Lakes climbs. I will definitely be trying to get a couple of rides in up in the Peak as I can ride out from my lasses place in Nottingham. Hopefully I will get the chance to ride out to Macclesfield Forest and the via Lamaload and the Goyt Valley to Buxton that should beast the legs!

From your reports it sounds like you have way more in the tank than me anyway, so I wouldn't worry unless you are going for a good time.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    I'm the same, some 15% plus climbs local to me but nothing of any distance, I feel totaly unprepared for the FWC at the moment, and it just keeps getting closer :shock:

I'm definately not going for a time, I think my usual tactics of going out as hard as I can and hoping I get to the end before I blow up aren't going to work this time. As for time, so long as I beat a certain ex-collegue of mine I'll be very happy.

Revised FCN - 2