Ride Reports

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Re previous post - possibly because at 8 miles you have just about warmed up.

My ride last week end - brilliant.
    Highclere to Ashmansworth. At top of hill turn right onto Wayfarer's Walk which is ten mins from home. Through woods on a slippery, rooty trail to road, TR and rejoin WW for a ride west along the ridge towards Combe Gibbet. Views to the north of about 15 miles.

Work around snow drifts still 2ft thick in places and on past the gibbet then left at first trail intersection and down Sheepless Hill - very slippery, but controllable on Panaracer's front and rear. Magic. Sharp left at bottom towards Linkenholt , along very fast fire road to rejoin road.

Quick refuel and straight up Coombe Hill - hard after weeks off the bike over Xmas/snow break. This rises 137m/445ft in less than a mile and my heart rate hits 101% on the monitor or 160b/min but I keep going to the radio mast at the top.

Turn left and then adrenalin rush off the hill and home through the lanes....
    Total distance: 18miles? Time: who cares, but it was 2hr + of sheer exhilaration.

No other MTB'ers around just a gaggle of trail bikes on the top which gurgled to a stop in deep melt water in ruts that they created - sweet revenge.

Nice work, several local sportive take in Walbury Hill (highest point in the SE) I'm assuming from your post you're on a MTB, as I said good work.

31082009409.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    What a lovely day!

had a nice ride out over chew magna and down Cheddar gorge and over clevedon, was great to see so many other riders out enjoying the sun and chilly breeze. I swear there is more pothole than road these days!

4317083000_cc83451feb.jpg
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Almost didn't go out for a ride today as I couldn't decide where to go!
    Thankfully my handy work (and a very understanding Mrs BJUK) means I have H-U-G-E map stitched together on my upstairs landing wall - an idea I stole from the Canary Wharf Evans store - made from TFL's great cycle guides :-) all the maps for south of the river mean I can plan out routes, but unfortunately stop just short of all the interesting roads in Kent :-(

My initial thoughts for todays ride where head over to RP, do a couple of laps then head home, about 20 miles round trip there and back with 14/15 in the park would make for a nice ride but due to leaving later then normal and knowing the wife at least would wait until I was in to eat I made it a bit shorter.

Ended up heading east towards Farnborough, before turning around as I joined the main road down from the hospital for a blast back to Bromley on the A21. Throw in a couple of lumps as I make my way back to Crystal Palace and I ended up knocking out just shy of 19 miles in a little over an hours riding time. Felt good when I got home and hopefully this should tide me over until Wednesday and I'm not cycle-commuting the first 2 days this week due to training :-(

Route and details
    here
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Had an interesting ride out on Saturday… I set out at 9.15 from my home in Cambourne (near Cambridge) to cycle to St Albans to meet my sister for a birthday lunch. I’d arranged for my wife to travel down a little later by car with some more appropriate clothes for me to wear to the pub, and so we could drive back together.

It was a beautiful crisp morning, and I made good progress through Gamlingay, Potton and Biggleswade to Sheffold. After Meppershall the route became a little more hilly, with one or two short steep climbs. There was also noticeably more snow on the ground from the previous night – most had melted in the bright morning sunshine, but there were some rather treacherous patches of ice in the shade. Nonetheless I continued to make good time.

Descending between Hexton and Lilley, I was confronted with a glistening right hander. A dab of the brakes confirmed I was already on ice, and on turning in the inevitable happened. Fortunately, I was able to roll to the ground fairly smoothly, and race my bike to the verge in the slide. I picked myself up to inspect the damage, which seems to be light (a few grazes, and a touch of minor whiplash – sore neck today!). The bike suffered a displaced right shifter (soon rotated back to the correct position) and a bent rear mech hanger (again manhandled back into alignment, but will be replaced now). Back on the bike I proceeded more gingerly along the snowy roads to Whitwell, where my route joined the clearer B651 through Kimpton and Wheathampstead into St Albans.

It was a really enjoyable 75km completed in 2hrs 42mins, despite of the crash – I guess I was lucky to be able to carry on relatively unscathed. Lunch in ‘Ye olde fighting cocks’ (reportedly the oldest pub in England) was great too!

http://connect.garmin.com/player/23541512

Safe cycling everyone, don’t have nightmares!
    Nic
  • Bah. Went out on a pseudo-commute, very phlegmy and coldy, the roads were really icy, and I fell off but didn't fall off on some really chunky ice, bike undamaged, LiT undamaged, new endura overshoes now have a hole in them! Blast.

Can I fix neoprene with superglue?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Bah. Went out on a pseudo-commute, very phlegmy and coldy, the roads were really icy, and I fell off but didn't fall off on some really chunky ice, bike undamaged, LiT undamaged, new endura overshoes now have a hole in them! Blast.

Fix, no. Melt, probably... http://searchwarp.com/swa61159.htm :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Bah. Went out on a pseudo-commute, very phlegmy and coldy, the roads were really icy, and I fell off but didn't fall off on some really chunky ice, bike undamaged, LiT undamaged, new endura overshoes now have a hole in them! Blast.

Fix, no. Melt, probably... http://searchwarp.com/swa61159.htm :shock:

I did wonder... I've melted things with superglue in the past...

Urethane glue, apparently, is the way forward.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well I've just got back from my first 3 lapper of RP and it's all a little depressing to be honest, I've got no power at all i seems, fitness is shot. I used to be able to lap in around 18 mins, today's best was 22:45 :oops:. It's really bought home how much damage my 3 month layoff has done. It's going to be hard work getting back up to pace. Having said that wasn't pushing hard today, just trying to keep the HR steady. Will head out again on weds.

Chapeau to all the HOTA's.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Yesterday was the last of the London League cross races - at Herne Hill. It was mad. Extremely muddy & very hard work. I'm still totally knackered and hurting all over. 24th. Great fun indeed! :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did the Evans Ride-It up in Rochdale over the weekend. 52 miles of Pennine hills in temperatures that varied from freezing fog to freezing blazing sunshine. Man it was cold, but good. Those hills up there are long, and steep - you pick a low gear and push forever, and eventually you crest it and have a descent to ease the pain unless the descents are too steep then they hurt the arms through steady use of the brakes to keep it sensible amongst the ice. Did I mention the cold? Strewf it was cold.

Cracking ride though - near empty roads for the most part, a challenging route and good morning's effort to get round in a reasonable time. The icing on the cake was one of my favourite hills up or down. This route included the plummet down Blackstone Edge back to the finish. It's a big hill is that: ~4mph on the way up, 40+ on the way down the other side, avoiding sheep & potholes. Stay alert.

It was cold though.
  • WFH today so with the SC stats motivation in mind, did a cheeky jaunt out to Richmond Park at lunchtime - first visit of this year.

Only had time for 1 lap and probably for the best as it was rather wet and windy. Fairly strong Westerly meant progress up Sawyer's Hill was sloth-like. Ended up notching up a 23 minuter which given conditions I'm not too ashamed of.

Only 19 miles but they all count! :D
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Went out to Llantrissant today past the BBC and straight up Llantrissant Road, back through Llantwit Fadre to Nantgarw, then up Caerphilly Mountain (just) and home via Cyncoed. 38.9 miles in 2hours 10.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Quick trip out to Cotswold Water park - total about 25 miles in around 2 hours - must get the cross tyres off the bike - LBS ordered me some marathon 28s but still waiting
  • Did the Chippenham Wheelers Flapjack 100 km Audax on Sunday. Rode over from home (6.5 miles) Lovely route - generally flat apart from the short climb up Wick Hill out of Chippenham and a little push out of Ford into Corsham on the way back.

One unfortunate chap's chain snapped on the Wick climb which nearly brought a load of guys down in front of me but otherwise pretty straightforward and incident free. Got lost with a quick rider around the back of Lyneham which added another 4 miles and the missus asked me to meet her in Bath once I'd finished so I cycled an extra 12.5 over to see her.

So in total I got 82.5 miles in which has given me a lot more confidence about the Dragon. The distance doesn't seem as daunting now. The hills ... that's another matter .... so I'm definitely up for a hilly session round Caerphilly Benno??
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • had a nice social club run, on sunday, about 50 ish miles. though the north downs stop and talk bike over bun and coffee, then back.

had a lad along who only started riding 3 weeks ago, who showed remarkable grit in keeping at it, the downs can be unrelenting.

all got back safe and sound and had a nice zip along the last Road chasing each other down!
  • benno68
    .... so I'm definitely up for a hilly session round Caerphilly Benno??

Let me know when you're around next, a Sunday morning would be good as I'm working Monday - Saturday at the moment.

All the better if it coincided with CJCP coming down too. You could both have a cuppa at the top and wait for me. Come to think of it you'd probably manage a 3 course meal before I got there :D:D:D

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Club Audax next weekend : then at a show in Bris'l following weekend : but anytime from Sun March 7th - be cracking prep for the Dragon.

SWMBO's folks live near Roath Park so we could meet up round there then maybe do Rudry across to Bedwas and into Caerphilly. We could try the full version of the mountain from Piccadilly Square at the bottom of town and straight up the beast to the cafe on the summit for oxygen and the Red Cross then hang a right down through Castle Coch ...... if we're still feeling brave we could tackle the long drag up to Creigiau and then down to St Fagans?

What do you reckon?
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • benno68
    @ The Running Man - Well, going up from Thornhill was my absolute limit so I think the Beast would be beyond me.

It would be great to go out, but my cycling ability is limited to say the least. So if you don't mind waiting for me here and there then I'm up for it - let me know when you're down.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Yeah right : B*llsh*t alert going off like crazy over here :)

I suspect this is an evil ploy on your part to set up an Armstrong v Ullrich moment and leave me grovelling in the tarmac

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'll give you a shout in a couple of weeks!!
    :):):)
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • benno68
    I wish mate.

I sh1t you not - honestly I've only been back into cycling for 14 months, my mother kindly bought me my bike for my 40th having noticed the middle aged spread taking a firm grip. The furthest I've been is 50 miles, never been a member of a club or done a Sportive :oops: .

CJ left me for dead up Leckwith Hill, not that that is anything for me to be embarassed about.

It would be great to go out, but don't expect much from me. Only saying this as I wouldn't want to mess up any training plans you have.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • No worries Benno : we'll have a quiet potter round my old stamping ground : no point coming down to Cardiff and not taking in the scenery is there!!

The important thing for me to be honest is just time in the saddle. I've been doing a bit recently so I reckon I deserve a treat - says he utterly shameless about having bought his lovely new bike.

Did I mention that at all ... anywhere : that I've bought a new bike.... it's lovely : if you've forgotten at all I'll be happy to tell you all over again .......

:):):)
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • benno68
    @ The Running Man - Yes, I had heard :D:D:D - you lucky boy!

Well - I'm on a Defy 2 which is good enough for me at the moment although I am lusting over going carbon at some point, the Planet X with Ultegra would do me.

Regarding the ride, yes that sounds good. We'll play it by ear and see how we go.

I did maintain 24/25mph along the length of Roath Park Lake today though, miracles do occasionally happen :lol:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    @ Benno68 & Running Man

Have you tried the Graig Road, out of Lisvane route over the mountain? So steep that, when I attempted it a few years ago, I just ground to a halt part way up and toppled over sideways unable to unclip. I still have unfinished business with that hill.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Hl&resnum=0&q=graig+road,+cardiff&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Graig+Road,+Lisvane,+Cardiff&gl=uk&ei=DlpxS4u3LIaM0gTi-42zDg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA

Really rather steep. and much quieter than the main road.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • benno68
    Hey rjsterry - I didn't know about that one, may go and have a look but I do tend to get a mini panic attack on very steep or longish and fairly steep climbs :D I haven't had to get off my bike so far but very nearly had to going up from Thornhill, just about scraped up in 34 x 25.

The Ty Mawr Arms looks appealing just in case the going gets too tough!

The routes I've been up so far are from Castell Coch, from Nantgarw, Rhiwbina Hill and from Thornhill (managed to hit the magical 50mph going down into Thornhill, but traffic spoilt that last weekend!)

I'll have to venture up to the Beacons at some point to experience the real thing!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    Nothing to report on the ride front, although I did spend the day here, swimming and drinking beer :)

e1515c69fc2c4be4b275583ee72bcc2f.jpg

So hot! - it was horrible.... :roll: :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    SHARK!!!!!!! :wink:

As you were.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    SHARK!!!!!!! :wink:

As you were.

There were plenty, we spotted many as we were flying over the corral reef :D

SDC10340.JPG

SDC10346.JPG

SDC10347.JPG

Spotted plenty of large fish whilst snorkelling, several of us got stung by jelly fish, which was nice :lol:
  • cjcp
    @ITB - good shots, fella. 8) Have you visited Rottnest Island? You can hire a bike on the mainland, take the bikes on the ferry over and cycle round the island all day. You can find those little Quokkas everywhere.

In other news, did three clockwise laps of the Park with JG this morning. Cold and wet, and the gap in ability between myself and JG is getter bigger :oops: . The drag up from Ham Gate to Pembroke Lodge on the second lap was awful. As we approached the Lodge, I moved in behind his wheel to let the car pass. Did I have the legs to move back alongside for the last 100 yards? Like hell I did. I barely had enough to stay on his wheel. The fact that I couldn't drink because I was so out of breath probably wasn't a good sign...

The effort put into the drag from the top of Broomfield to the top of Dark Hill was better, but a long, long way to go. My CV fitness is below what it should be - could only get the HR up to 179. Usually, I can it into the 180s.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    I sense a disturbance in The Force...

I arrive home after a short ride this morning. A friend of Mrs CJ's calls up and evidently asks if she wants to meet up because the respective kids haven't seen each other for a while either. Mrs CJ said, "That's great. I can kick Chris out on a long ride."

Um, do what? :shock:

It's already been put on the kitchen calendar. In quick-setting concrete.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • had a nice loop to Ripley and back, about 40ish miles, I set off at 7am lovely and quiet. I was marshalling at a TT so needed to be at HQ by 8am.

spent the next 2 hours watching bikes zoom past and signal the direction. Did get cold by end before going back to HQ for coffee/cake and to talk bike, before returning home, via a flower shop!

not terribly nice weather.