Ride Reports

Comments

• fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Got off to the surrey hills yesterday. Epsom, Dorking, Leith Hill, Cranleigh, Peaslake, Ranmore Common Boxihill and back to clapham through Epsom. 74 miles in total -easily the longest ride of the year.

It had to be done to prepare for Hell of Ashdown next week but it was not a nice ride. All the back lanes seemed about 10 degrees colder that the rest of the world and they are in a shocking state. Lots more pots holes and huge amounts of detritus on the road. In some places there was still snow on the verge. Coupled with a right bunch of a'holes out in their chelsea tractors the only highlight was a mug of tea and a cheesy straw in Peaslake.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hmmm. Think I'll give the Surrey hills a miss until March then.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • very short ride into work and back today, although I think I may need to adjust my cycle computer a little.... I am riding a 48/18 fixed at the moment. I checked and was hitting 25mph on the flat which aint too bad, I am not the best at spinning the pedals, uphill it was saying 20mph its about 1/1.5km a decent incline nothing too crazy tho. I was not surprised by the speed on the uphill as I was matching the cars on a full sus running 48/14 ss.

Had a fast ride home, as in stuck behind a learner doing 25mph and pulling round the outside and over taking (bare in mind I had to brake to slow down) I know I went over 30mph at one point as the bike got a bit twitchy and everything was going very fast and I was able to over take the cars (plus my legs were moving super fast and I was still pumping)... I get home and check the top speed.... 51.5mph I know this has to be wrong, I was going fast but not that fast :lol:

going to double check all the settings on my cateye wireless...

I am using MTB bars at the moment and want to switch to bull horns or drops as I could only get so aero before I felt worried and too far over the bars :shock:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    In view of ITB's proposed CX ride thought I'd take a look along the Ridgeway. Started at the same point as the snow ride but went east instead of west as far as Uffington Down and the other white horse - track is generally ok except for the section leading up to Waylands Smithy which is like glue - riding on it seems to liquefy the surface an tyres wouldn't grip - in the end I was going at about 1mph so gave up and walked that section - interesting and slightly hairy drop down off the Ridgeway once I got to White Horse Hill down to the main road - I can see the advantage of discs - they keep clean in mud and are its possible to exert enough pressure to stop the bike downhill even on the hoods. Good test for the bike though - combination of road and off road - performed very well only problem was getting a buildup of mud between the wheel and frame - total was about 20 miles in around 3 hours
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    After the adventures of yesterday I had a quick sprint across Southampton to catch the train and then decided to ride home from Bristol Temple Meads rather than wait 15 minutes for a train that would have got me home (via a 4 mile ride) about 10 minutes earlier. Not sure it was a mistake as I'd have frozen on the platform waiting and not warmed up in a shorter ride.

Set off and the fog got thicker and thicker until at one point (crossing The Causeway out of Nailsea) I experienced that thing you get when full beam lights are a bad idea in the fog and so had to manually dip my light to point about 6ft in front of me groped along at a snails pace with the brakes covered, had to stop for oncoming cars as the hazy light from them just obliterated all vision, I even got blinded by someone's brake lights as they dabbed them just after overtaking me.
    Once back into the streetlights of Tickenham I could put the hammer down again but that was the worst fog I've ever ridden in, the bike was soaking when I put it in the garage.
    I arrived home nicely warm and hopefully have shaken some of yesterday's lactic out of my legs.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    fidbod wrote:
    Got off to the surrey hills yesterday. Epsom, Dorking, Leith Hill, Cranleigh, Peaslake, Ranmore Common Boxihill and back to clapham through Epsom. 74 miles in total -easily the longest ride of the year.

It had to be done to prepare for Hell of Ashdown next week but it was not a nice ride. All the back lanes seemed about 10 degrees colder that the rest of the world and they are in a shocking state. Lots more pots holes and huge amounts of detritus on the road. In some places there was still snow on the verge. Coupled with a right bunch of a'holes out in their chelsea tractors the only highlight was a mug of tea and a cheesy straw in Peaslake.

Thanks for the Hills update - I suspected that the lanes would be a mess, they were pretty bad by the end of last year as it was. I'm hoping to get out there either next week or the week after as I have some time off so I'll have a gander, God knows I need the miles! Actually, care to share your route? Be nice to try something new!
  • fidbod wrote:
    All the back lanes seemed about 10 degrees colder that the rest of the world and they are in a shocking state. Lots more pots holes and huge amounts of detritus on the road.

+1. Managed a brisk 40ish miles out to Ranmore Common and back to bed in some new bits on the bike. Didn't hit the hills proper but the lanes are a state. I also regretted leaving the overshoes at home as cold feet cut short what could have turned in to a decent ride.
  • I had a jaunt into Kent yesterday in preparation for HOTA this weekend. Glorious country but like Surrey, the lanes are in a bit of a state.

I did a 65 mile loop from home and back that took in 4 of the HOTAs 7 major climbs.

A word of warning to anyone who is doing it, save something in the tank for the last hill - it's a nasty little kicker with a 10% section near the top. Was tough with 50 odd miles in my legs yesterday, will doubtless be worse on Sunday with 60+ miles in the legs.

Also, getting to and from Biggin Hill is a bit of a schlep for most people I would imagine, twas about 13 miles for me and I will probably get the train on Sunday now as its all uphill on the way there and I'm not sure I want to add 26miles to what is already quite testing.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    :)

Another cross race yesterday at Wilmington. I've lost a bit of fitness with all my car commuting, so it really hurt. In fact, from halfway through the first lap I started wondering if I could cook up a good enough excuse to stop but not look like a wimp. Third decided to ease out of the chase I was locked into and go at my own, slightly less painful, pace.

The ride was hard, the course more like an MTB XC trail, the mud was slick and (it felt)offered no traction whatsoever.

Towards the end I was gaining on those ahead, but still in agony - every dismount and running section and remount was a huge effort (mostly because it was an attempt to run up a slippery muddly hill with a bike on shoulder), and on the last lap I managed to ride into a tree from sheer fatigue.

Now just about every muscle in my body hurts, but it feels thoroughly awesome. :)
  • So back in the game :

Activity has been curtailed by a combination of the weather, a week in the States, and the minor incovenience of having cracked a bone in my hip from my fall on the ice a couple of weeks ago. The doc said it's not an important crack and that the extent of my riding and running will be governed by how much pain I'm in.

So : managed a 4 mile trot on Saturday and 60+ miles on Sunday on the regular route up the hills to Marlborough, then out to Ramsbury and Hungerford and then home via Alton Barnes and Devizes.

I was only 20 miles in and taking it pretty conservatively going up Hackpen Hill when something red and quick shot past me about half way up. Against all my better judgement I took off in pursuit (red mist-itus) as I couldn't let someone sneak up on me like that. I caught him (Giant : the bike not him - that would be silly) and swept past him going down the descent from the hill to restore honour etc and then sat up and waited. It was a really nice chap from the Swindon club (broad Irish accent) and we stayed together for a couple of miles nattering before he shot off to Swindon when we hit Marlborough.

I was on my own then through Ramsbury to Hungerford and I then caught another really nice chap (red Allez from Newbury) just outside the town and we stayed together chatting til Savernake.

Took it steady then to Pewsey and maddeningly had a visit from the PF at Wilcot but even that didn't spoil the ride.

It was great just to be back out again and in some half decent weather and I was happy to complete the ride in just under 4 hours.

I've also been given the all clear(ish) to start running again so I may be mixing it up a bit more now so inevitably the commuting miles will go down a bit but I'm planning to start riding into work again from tomorrow.

Happy days ... :D:D:D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    My ride reports since 1 Nov:

1 Nov - Exmoor Beast (hell)
    Nov/Dec - operation (ahem) "down below". Enforced absence from bike, so only something like 4 commutes (26 miles each).
    30 Dec: Go to farm near Totnes for new year. Riding partner/brother-in-law has "brilliant idea" that we could ride there. 102 f-ing cold miles, but made it despite lack of riding recently. Wife late getting there with clean clothes so had to borrow non-stinky clothes from other, smaller, people. Was impressed that I actually got into some 34 inch jeans (was 38 this time last year).
    Jan: It snowed, went skiing in France, so still not back on the bike, which now has a very stiff headset. Must give it a good going over tonight & get back on it tomorrow.

Also entered the Dragon Ride 190km, so must get going...
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • Hi Risi.

I've entered the dragon as well .....

Could do with a training schedule if anyone has any bright ideas .....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    fidbod wrote:

Thanks for the Hills update - I suspected that the lanes would be a mess, they were pretty bad by the end of last year as it was. I'm hoping to get out there either next week or the week after as I have some time off so I'll have a gander, God knows I need the miles! Actually, care to share your route? Be nice to try something new!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/75 ... rrey-hills

There you go dear boy!

Let us know how you get on on barhatch lane. The road sign claims it is a 21% gradient but I swear some of the ramps are steeper than that.
  • il_principe
    Cheers, tackled most of that but never Barhatch... looks like a cheeky one.

EDIT - saved to the Garmin for a later date, when I'm fitter. I've entitled it the 'Barhatch B1tch' one to look forward to!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232

EDIT - saved to the Garmin for a later date, when I'm fitter. I've entitled it the 'Barhatch B1tch' one to look forward to!

That route looks rather fun and would certainly be good prep for Highclere, if your thinking of tackling that before June let me know and I might join you!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Cheers, tackled most of that but never Barhatch... looks like a cheeky one.

otherwise known as Winterfold, about the same a Whitedown, a tiny bit steeper and the steep bit is very short.

not a bad little ramp up.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    what is up with people walking along country lanes in the dark wearing dark clothes without even a torch?

An the fella standing at the back of his WV in the dark sawing a piece of wood (i assume, could have been a body) you need a light - duh! you'll cut one or more of your fingers off, plus it's freaky to be doing that so late at night in the middle of nowhere.

:shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    what is up with people walking along country lanes in the dark wearing dark clothes without even a torch?

An the fella standing at the back of his WV in the dark sawing a piece of wood (i assume, could have been a body) you need a light - duh! you'll cut one or more of your fingers off, plus it's freaky to be doing that so late at night in the middle of nowhere.

:shock:

the sawing is rather odd, though unless it's a very dark night (which is rare) I'd not bother with a torch for walking though the lanes, good bright bike lights destroy ones night sight be suprised how much you can see.
  • cjcp
    Five laps of RP and a bit more around the houses to wind down.

Didn't feel great. Legs suffering from yesterday's over-enthusiastic turbo session. Lower back also hurt. Don't know if this is the result of lowering my saddle or putting it further back or yesterday's turbo session. Either way, more core strength work needed. Was going to do six laps, but a tube change (a bulging tube in the rear!) put paid to that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    cjcp wrote:

Didn't feel great. Legs suffering from yesterday's over-enthusiastic turbo session. Lower back also hurt. Don't know if this is the result of lowering my saddle or putting it further back or yesterday's turbo session. Either way, more core strength work needed. Was going to do six laps, but a tube change (a bulging tube in the rear!) put paid to that.
    And stretching?
  • il_principe

otherwise known as Winterfold, about the same a Whitedown, a tiny bit steeper and the steep bit is very short.

Oh, in that case I have done it! There's another one that's a bugger just off the Ockely rd... Anstie lane I think, or Henhurst - that's a steep bugger as well.

@Bass - I will certainly be doing that route pre June - happy to fit it in around you seeing as you have lots of child related commitments and I have none! Anytime from April ono, just let me know and we can meet enroute!
  • cjcp
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

And stretching?

That too. I've been stretching after recent rides. In fact, maybe it's the stretching which is causing the problem. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

And stretching?

That too. I've been stretching after recent rides. In fact, maybe it's the stretching which is causing the problem. :)

Hope your back gets better quick CJ, sounds like the saddle adjustment is the culpritt to me!

I will resist commenting about the "bulging tube in the rear" :D

Roll on the warmer weather.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    :lol: Cheers, mate.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Tube change due to....?

A visit from my friend by any chance? :lol:

I put my spd cleats right back so they are now well behind the ball of my foot almost in the arch, after the first few minutes of weirdness it actually felt really good.

More investigation required before I do the same to my road cleats.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    rode home this evening, gor blimey guv it was cold.

On my normal commute from Canary Wharf and had just paused for the lights at Kennington.

There was me in my fleecy bib 3/4's, and two layers under my Endura stealth fleece lined jacket, sealskinz thermal socks and buff rolled up to cover my mouth, nose and ears when matey boy pulls up beside me.

Faaarckin ell mate, says I, you must be freezing.

He was wearing a white short sleeved cotton t-shirt, a pair of short, lycra shorts, socks and trainers.

Yes, I thought it was going to be a bit warmer than this says he.

Really? Whatever he thought it was going to be did he really expect it to be 15 degrees warmer? Perhaps he had just come back from a polar expedition...
    FCN = 4
  • Cheers, tackled most of that but never Barhatch... looks like a cheeky one.

Oh, in that case I have done it! There's another one that's a bugger just off the Ockely rd... Anstie lane I think, or Henhurst - that's a steep bugger as well.

doesn't ring a bell but that means little to be honest.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    Tube change due to....?

A visit from my friend by any chance? :lol:

Actually, no :P . The tyre was literally bulging by the valve. Haven't inspected it yet to find out why.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Left work at 9:20 last night, gripped myself by the collar and dragged myself around 26 miles :D

Up to Cyncoed, through Llanishen, across to Whitchurch and then up Llantrissant Road cutting left through the lane to St. Fagans, Wenvoe and through the lanes of Dinas Powys and home - lovely.

Surprisingly, I did it in 1hr 20 which is good for me. Must have been the chilli for lunch!

Even more strange is that I feel just as knackered when I get home after doing 8 miles - how does that work out?

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Re previous post - possibly because at 8 miles you have just about warmed up.

My ride last week end - brilliant.
    Highclere to Ashmansworth. At top of hill turn right onto Wayfarer's Walk which is ten mins from home. Through woods on a slippery, rooty trail to road, TR and rejoin WW for a ride west along the ridge towards Combe Gibbet. Views to the north of about 15 miles.

Work around snow drifts still 2ft thick in places and on past the gibbet then left at first trail intersection and down Sheepless Hill - very slippery, but controllable on Panaracer's front and rear. Magic. Sharp left at bottom towards Linkenholt , along very fast fire road to rejoin road.

Quick refuel and straight up Coombe Hill - hard after weeks off the bike over Xmas/snow break. This rises 137m/445ft in less than a mile and my heart rate hits 101% on the monitor or 160b/min but I keep going to the radio mast at the top.

Turn left and then adrenalin rush off the hill and home through the lanes....
    Total distance: 18miles? Time: who cares, but it was 2hr + of sheer exhilaration.

No other MTB'ers around just a gaggle of trail bikes on the top which gurgled to a stop in deep melt water in ruts that they created - sweet revenge.