Ride Reports

Comments

• Pat920
    Pat920 Posts: 55
    Did London-Swindon on Good Friday. 93 miles and a route that I mentioned here before when rjsterry was looking to do something similar. Just under 6 hours. A bit chilly to start, but I had my waterproofs on so no bad thing. It chucked it down for the last 30 miles which was no fun, and it was a bit blustery. Route was great - though I'd avoid any A-roads next time. Navigated with an Etrex-H, which is pretty foolproof.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Took the bike to Snowdonia for the weekend.
    Managed to sneak out for a ride on Sunday.
    Boy, do these hills hurt.
    36 miles, 1100m ascent.
    Garmin recorded a 21% slope! :shock:
    Felt great to finish it, took me a tad over 3h.
    Great training I'm sure for the Surrey hills :)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Friday was a washout in more ways than one : managed to sneak out for an hour of hills so Sunday needed to be a decent ride and happily it was.

Like many others I managed to get in a 100 miler but I decided to take it really steady so only averaged 15 mph as I wanted to make sure I made it all the way and that I finished reasonably fresh.

Route : over to Chippenham then out to Woodborough with the club : left them there and headed out on my normal route to Pewsey, Burbage and Hungerford. Instead of turning off to Ramsbury I carried on straight up through Aldbourne, then crossed to Chisledon and Wroughton : over to Wooton Bassett then back through the lanes via Bushton and Compton Bassett. When I got back close to home I only had 93 on the clock so did a quick circuit of Heddington and Calstone to make the ton.

I was glad in the end I took it sensibly as the last 40 miles or so were into a pretty blustery headwind but it was great to feel that I had the distance.

I'll try and build the mileage up quietly over the next 8 weeks so that the Dragon Ride doesn't seem quite so daunting

:roll: :roll: :roll:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    gert_lush wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Chapeau GL, I like your style, and your route presents another alternative for my planned London to Bristol ride. Only thing is, I need to finish north of Bristol. Hmmmm, definitely one to ponder.

cheers

I have only done bristol-london once and that was along the A4 which is as dull as ditch water but reasonabley direct, where exactly is it you are heading to north of Briz?

I'm heading for Frampton Cotterell, and had thought of using a large part of the A4, but am now having doubts. I would probably be coming in through either Wick on the A420 from Chippenham, or via Castle Combe and Chipping Sodbury.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    And here's the route I took (hey, only 3 days to upload it to garmin connect!)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29291745
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Went out with a cycling club today, out along the flats to Newport and onto Usk. I got around with the main group just shy of 75 miles and around 4 hours of cycling time. Great weather and a good group that made me feel very welcome - a great day all in all.

With 6 odd miles to get to the meeting point an 81 mile total for the day, my furthest so far.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Benno68 wrote:
    With 6 odd miles to get to the meeting point an 81 mile total for the day, my furthest so far.

:)

Nice one, mate.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Managed 44 miles yesterday up to Cricklade, round to Ashton Keynes, Malmesbury and back via Wootton Bassett. Total climb 1023ft. Took me 3 hours although I didn't count my stop time - once at Cotswold Outdoor to pick up some energy bars for next week and a banana stop on the Malmesbury road. Probably about 15 mins altogether. Little warm but good weather, no breeze to speak of. Nearly got wiped by a biker who came round a bend in the opposite direction - felt the breeze on that one
  • Wonderful couple of days of riding.

Did the Dragon route on Friday and now I know how tough it is. Friday was mostly about finding my way round and checking out how to manage my energy and where to put the effort in. It was my first 120 miler added to which it was the warmest day of the year so far so it was a proper test of how the winter training has gone. The plan was go steady of the flat, slow up the hills and if it was clear have a bit of fun on the descents.

It did feel wrong somehow to be holding everything in check over the first 20 miles or so but I was determined to stick to my strategy and by the end I was very glad I did. The first real climb up the Bwlch was beautiful, spectacular and not too testing. It bit a little right at the start but softened to a steady pace from then and the descent down to Treorchy was glorious (52.2mph on the speedo) and hardly a car (or any brakes) in evidence.

The Rhigos was pretty much the same and while there were tough stretches these were mostly down to my gathering fatigue and nothing more. The starkness and brutal desolation of the landscape was wonderful in the sun and there was still a small covering of snow on some of the very highest mountain peaks which made a surreal contrast.

More beautiful views as I swept down the hills towards Brecon past the Storey Arms but I began to feel the heat and maybe the distance started playing tricks with my head but for the first time I started to wonder whether this trip had been a good idea. I'd been making sure I was eating and drinking plenty but I found the little climb up to Defynnog really draining and I decided that once I got the turn at Sennybridge I'd stop for a few minutes and take in a couple of extra gels and have a quick stretch which worked wonders.

The road was pretty benign from Sennybridge to Crai still scenic and by now very warm though the sweep up the hills out of Crai and up Coelbren felt fine. I got a bit carried away with myself and my new found energy and tore down into Neath. By now I knew I had only 2 major climbs left : the Cimla and the reverse climb back up the Bwlch.

I’d read on various ride reports that the Cimla was evil : nonsense – at my pace it was fine. There were plenty of “steps” in it and sticking to my plan of slow even pacing it was soon over.

Then the Bwlch. No sooner was the descent from the Cimla over it turned into a pretty relentless diet of “up” for what seemed like an age. There was nothing dramatic, no stretches that came up in your face, no thigh burning or screaming lungs but it was just a relentless punishing grind. When I looked at the elevation it looked straightforward enough but in the heat and more to the point with the best part of 90 miles in my legs it was far from it.

By the time I got to the top and back to the turn for home I was shattered and for the first time had to stop through exhaustion. I’d completely run out of energy drinks so bought a bottle of water from the ice cream van which was mercifully still open and plonked myself down on his chairs and took in the views of Treorchy and the scores of lambs that were running recklessly round the roads.

I almost had to tear my shoes off as my feet felt like they were about to explode. Whether that was the pressure of the climbing or the heat I don’t know but after 10 minutes I was recovering enough to phone SWMBO and let her know I was ok and would start heading down the valley back to Pencoed.

My energy tank was reading empty so again I gulped down 2 extra gels and thought if they make me ill then at least I’ve done all the big climbs so I’ve achieved quite a lot but once more I felt like I’d got a real injection of pace and shot back down the valleys.

I got a wee bit lost through Bridgend but found my way back to the start point with exactly 121 miles on the speedo at an average pace of 15.1mph and just under 8 hours of rolling time which I was quietly very happy with given that I’d had to slow quite a few times to check my map, get through loads of bloomin’ traffic lights and dodge the occasional flock of sheep on the roads. I guess I have to bear in mind that I was doing all my own work as well and had no-one to hide behind so with a few more riders around I will hopefully go a bit faster.

I’m pleased I did it, and that I did it in one hit as now I’ve got a real idea of where it’s going to hurt the most on the day and what I’ll do the same or differently when it does.

I’d forgotten how beautiful South Wales can be, and how unforgiving, but what a fantastic day.

PS : went out and did a faster 60 with the club on Sunday which by comparison was a doddle though I could feel every mile of Friday in my legs as we came home.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Busy weekend - a hill walk in the Lakes on Friday followed by a ride down to Sheffield from Leeds on Saturday to see a friend.

Out via Emley Moor - 45 miles, 3200 feet climbing, 2:58 ride time. Return via Holmfirth - 50 miles, 3600 feet climbing, 3:15 ride time. Sneaky little killer climb in that one in the hills West of Stocksbridge.

Lots of folk out riding which was nice - passed a club run on the climb out of Holmfirth.

Managed to keep to about 15mph both ways but I was kippered when I got in - the nights sleep between the two runs didn't seem to make the total mileage any easier!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Well done running man sounds like a great ride and a great distance, although am more impressed you then went out and nailed a 60 two days later!

you have beaten my max speed by 0.2 mph! although maybe my speedo rounds down from 52.4......and NOT up from 51.5!!!! ha :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Cheers gert_lush : I honestly had no idea I'd gone quite that fast til I checked my computer as I went past the whiskey distillery outside Hirwaun.

Not sure I'll be able to repeat that on the day with lots of other riders around though ....
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Virgin ride out to the Surrey Hills on Saturday. Don't have a Garmin so just relied on Google Maps on my HTC. Used Fibod's (thanks btw) Surrey Hills route
    to get out to Boxhill by memory - approached from the North, descended down the Zig Zag road and then promptly turned around and did the ascent and back home again.

43 miles, touch over 3 hours elapsed (excluding beer garden pitstop). Gorgeous day - loved it. Consumed:

2 Bananas
    2 Powerades
    4 Kelloggs Fibre Plus Milk Chocolate bars
    1 Pint of San Miguel

:D
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • benno68

Did the Dragon route on Friday

Nice one TRM - sounds like an epic! Maybe I'll manage that distance at some point, 75 miles for me in a group was enough for me.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Hi Benno : 75 is a cracking ride : that was the furthest I'd been 8 weeks ago and it's not such a huge leap to go for a 100 .....

Well done fella!!
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • benno68
    Hi Benno : 75 is a cracking ride : that was the furthest I'd been 8 weeks ago and it's not such a huge leap to go for a 100 .....

Well done fella!!

Cheers TRM! The average speed was about 18.4 overall and I was pleased with getting up and over the odd lump or two, a couple of the guys said I'd done well for a first ride with them although the pace was on the slow side for them.

Time: 04:07:23
    Distance: 74.35 mi
    Elevation Gain: 2,884 ft

The above stats are off someone's Garmin, I split off to go home but not much variancein distance etc.

Haven't been on the bike for 2 days due to work stuff. may get out for an hour tonight.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    I’d read on various ride reports that the Cimla was evil : nonsense – at my pace it was fine. There were plenty of “steps” in it and sticking to my plan of slow even pacing it was soon over.

Oh dear. Schoolboy error. Remember, you'll be chasing other riders up it and desperately trying to keep your scalp on the big day. There will be no such thing as "your pace". :P

Cool ride, btw. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Running man, well done Sir!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Hi Benno : 75 is a cracking ride : that was the furthest I'd been 8 weeks ago and it's not such a huge leap to go for a 100 .....

Well done fella!!

+1 the Dragon is a lovely ride, gutted I'm missing out this year!
  • Thanks guys and you're right of course cjcp :)

I've not properly factored in scalps or red mist into any of my calculations ....

I've got a club 80 miler this weekend which will turn into a 100 by the time I've ridden over and back and I'm going to try to set off with the lead group this time and see how long I can hang on and try for a decent average pace.

Talking of which Benno : 75 miles at an average 18.4 mph is really going some.

Re-arrange these words into a well known phrase or saying :

clothing / sheep's / wolf / in .........
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • benno68
    Thanks guys and you're right of course cjcp :)

I've not properly factored in scalps or red mist into any of my calculations ....

:D:D:D

I'm sure you'll get in amongst the right group and fly around on the day!

I haven't been on my bike this week - I'm getting that "caged animal" feeling AARRGGHH!!!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    so i took the long way home from work tonight (my commute is 4 miles each way). I work in finchley, and live in barnet both very very northern points of london...

so RP was the destination, a very much southern part of the capital for those that dont know it.

18mile trip down to the park, 3 laps, 18mile trip home.

so a 4mile commute became a 57 mile round trip. or 91.75km for those that prefer it in that style.

was awesome. even had the energy to keep up with a fixie rider up highgate hill on the way home
    8)

probably wont be feeling quite so smug tomorrow morning
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    After owning a touring bike for nearly three years, I've done my first tour :D:D:D

Monday - Preston to Arnside
    First ever ride on properly loaded bike. Came to lift it out the front door, sh!!!t it's heavy. Dashed back in and chucked away half of what I'd packed. Still heavy, but couldn't sacrifice any more. Rode to the station - it felt heavier starting off from traffic lights, but otherwise, no difference to ride.

Nice easy first-day ride from Preston across the Fylde plains, bright sunshine and a tailwind. Despite the late start, short distance, easy pace and long lunch break at Glasson Dock I still got to Arnside an hour before the hostel opened so, with the bike still heavily laden, I rode up the long 1-in-7 climb to the viewpoint above the bay. Spent the evening down at the waterside watching the sunset. Cracking first day :D

Tuesday - Arnside to Alston
    Today would be hard, I knew it. Longest day at 60 miles, and two mega climbs - Shap Fell (10 miles long) and Hartside Pass (up to 1900 ft). Got a bit sunburnt yesterday so dashed out today to get suncream and quickly slapped it on. By the time I got to Kendal, an hour into the ride, it had gone dull, cold and looked like it would rain.

Shap Fell was alright, but an interminable drag in the headwind. And thanks to that headwind I had to pedal all the way down the other side. Stopped for lunch in Shap village, knackered and only halfway with another massive climb to come yet.

I got slower and slower towards Penrith, then nearly ground to a halt on the way to Melmerby, at the foot of the five-mile, 1500-ft climb to Hartside. I walked into the cafe in Melmerby with heavy, aching legs. A mug of coffee and piece of carrot cake later, I was ready for it. What a fabulous climb. Loved every foot of it, especially the last mile into the headwind which was now gale-force. Rewarded myself with another coffee at the summit cafe, then pedalled my way down to Alston.

Wednesday - Alston to Hawes
    Epic day. Rode out of Alston hostel, down into the town, and with 0.25 miles on the computer, started the first ten-mile climb across to Teesdale. Easy gradient all the way, virtually no traffic. And a 15-mile descent on the other side right through Teesdale. Then another ten-mile climb with a direct tailwind, a 45mph descent to Brough.

That should have been it for the climbs today, but I was feeling so good I rode up to Tan Hill too, a ten mile climb again with a brutal 1-in-6 start. That also committed me to Buttertubs Pass, even steeper with a couple of 1-in-4 hairpins. I sailed it. Even with all that I arrived in Hawes too early for the hostel to open. Hell yeah :twisted:

Thursday - Hawes to Preston
    Yet another climb from the doorstep of the hostel, over to Ribblehead then down to Ingleton where I learned of the volcano. Yet again it should have been an easy day, but I decided to climb over the Tatham Fells to Slaidburn. That should have been it. Twenty flat miles remain to Preston. But no, I darted off up the side of Longridge Fell on the way past, a final 1-in-4 brute to finish the holiday.

Arrived back in Preston with 235 miles on the clock. Successful first tour, sad to be home again, but planning the next one already 8)
  • cjcp
    Ker-rist! :shock: I can't match Iain's post, but, ahem, here's my effort for the weekend:

Did six laps of RP (40.2 miles in 1:57:39), plus a bit more for warm-up and warm-down. I think this is the first time I've done a sub-2 hr for six laps, anddid it on two cups of coffee, no breakfast (I'm trying to lose weight) and one bottle of High 5. I also did a season's best for the 3-Lap Challenge on the final three laps, with each lap being faster, so feel reasonably pleased with my effort. Still not sorted my sadde height. Nearly there, but needs tweaking.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    Good effort Ian_J - looks like you had a cracking week.

Come on CJCP - what are you weighing in at then? I'd like to announce that I have been sub 13st for the last fortnight :)

Sounds like you were hammering around the park - you'll need a TT bike soon!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:
    Come on CJCP - what are you weighing in at then? I'd like to announce that I have been sub 13st for the last fortnight :)

12.5st/80kg according to the scales yesterday.

Am some way off my PB. Some of the times posted today were much, much quicker (see 3-Lap Challenge thread). The fastest is bonkers-fast.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

Am some way off my PB. Some of the times posted today were much, much quicker (see 3-Lap Challenge thread). The fastest is bonkers-fast.

12.5 stone and you still want to lose some - crikey!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

For a shorter person that can mean fat (I should know :()
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

Nice work chaps.

@cjcp 12.5st is 79.6kg FFS it's .4kg it counts BTW snap we're the same weight :wink:

Makes no difference Attica still dropped me on pretty much every hill today :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • benno68
    suzyb wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

For a shorter person that can mean fat (I should know :()

Keep at it suzyb - I've just managed to get to 13stone from 15st or so (I'm about 6ft), but it's taken me 17 months to get there. I just love food and the odd beer!

Giant Defy 105 2009