Ride Reports

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    How can you lot spot people?

All I see when I pass another cyclist is someone riding a bike of some sort and quite possibly wearing cycling clothes or not ...

Yet you lot not only recognise people but you can tell the bike, and specifics of gearing, kit etc etc etc

If it wasn't for the FACT that this is on the Internet, therefore must be true, i'd think you were making it up! :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    How can you lot spot people?

All I see when I pass another cyclist is someone riding a bike of some sort and quite possibly wearing cycling clothes or not ...

Yet you lot not only recognise people but you can tell the bike, and specifics of gearing, kit etc etc etc

If it wasn't for the FACT that this is on the Internet, therefore must be true, i'd think you were making it up! :P
    Nah, I'm like you Stephen. I'm rubbish at spotting. It takes people shouting and waving, which is what Livvy did. :)

When circulating RP I have been known to nod/hand raise to the same people on every lap. Very polite, to be sure, but some might say it's overkill :oops:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    I have a score to settle with the park :evil:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    Before HOTA?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Dragged my lazy behind out for a ride today, to get the New Year off to a good start.
    As all the roads are frozen and now liberally coated in bike-eating salt, I took the MTB for a pootle (I would like to say blast, but truth be told I was slow and rubbish) on the Ridgeway.

The first part was lovely and frozen, crisp and with the winter sun warming me I soon shed the jacket and was down to a mere 3 layers.

4241015857_0888005914_m.jpg

We continued West and then encountered the thickest, most sticky mud I've seen since, oh, this time last year. My friend's bike ground to a halt as the mud jammed her V-brakes, totally proving why disk brakes are a necessity on a mountain bike :-)

Enough of that, we made a quick loop and back the way we came.

I have only just got the feeling back in my toes !
    Misguided Idealist
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:

I'm thinking 30 mins a day on the turbo plus the 23 mile commute would be more worthwhile and less likely to injure myself?

At least on the turbo you shouldn't get any PF visits ;-) Although knowing you I wouldn't be surprised it you managed to get a flat on it :lol:
    As if by magic this thread appears:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12671297

:lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Dragged my lazy behind out for a ride today, to get the New Year off to a good start.
    As all the roads are frozen and now liberally coated in bike-eating salt, I took the MTB for a pootle (I would like to say blast, but truth be told I was slow and rubbish) on the Ridgeway.

The first part was lovely and frozen, crisp and with the winter sun warming me I soon shed the jacket and was down to a mere 3 layers.

4241015857_0888005914_m.jpg

We continued West and then encountered the thickest, most sticky mud I've seen since, oh, this time last year. My friend's bike ground to a halt as the mud jammed her V-brakes, totally proving why disk brakes are a necessity on a mountain bike :-)

Enough of that, we made a quick loop and back the way we came.

I have only just got the feeling back in my toes !

LOL when I first moved down to Windshire from Londinium I tried to follow a ridgeway route, 7 hrs later I was sitting in a field calling my wife after having the worst bonk, she asked "where are you?" to which I replied "dunno" needless to say it was dark but not cold and I was so tired and thirsty all I could do was push the bike across the mud, no distant lights to follow either :(

Bloody townies :lol:

Lucky for me I was only 1-2 miles from the cafe at Barbury castle, that dude must have thought I was mental, I pretty much ordered one of everything, then bombed down the hill to my lovely warm waiting car :lol:
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'm thinking 30 mins a day on the turbo plus the 23 mile commute would be more worthwhile and less likely to injure myself?

At least on the turbo you shouldn't get any PF visits ;-) Although knowing you I wouldn't be surprised it you managed to get a flat on it :lol:
    As if by magic this thread appears:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12671297

:lol:

Yeh I saw that, made me laugh lots :lol:
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Before HOTA?

Yep but not this weekend, I'm planning on doing my first metric and/or sportive :D

This may change if it snows.......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    @CJCP - I'm thinking of including RP in some rides at some point to mix it up, especially when I want to increase the mileage so I might (if I take leave of my senses) join you at some point ;-)
    More the merrier :)

+1. I'm probably going to be doing laps after work too when the clocks change, in case that's an option for you too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Before HOTA?

Yep but not this weekend, I'm planning on doing my first metric and/or sportive :D

This may change if it snows.......

Let us know in case I'm around too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited January 2010
    Cyclocross at Herne Hill today. Very sloppy. Rear brake inoperable (methinks I didn't tighten the cable properly). Loads of fun indeed. :D

Edit: The pain was well worth it - 27th :D What a feeling! Rock on.
  • cjcp
    8)

(Sorry for chickening out, but I am under orders from JG that racing isn't good Marmotte training. :P )
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    8)

(Sorry for chickening out, but I am under orders from JG that racing isn't good Marmotte training. :P )
    I must disagree with JG - two of my friend rode Marmotte last year. #1 concentrated only on long rides, #2 mixed long rides with at least one crit a week, usually Palace. #2 ended up much stronger on the day. If nothing else, racing increases your ability to withstand self induced pain. :)
  • cjcp
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    8)

I must disagree with JG - two of my friend rode Marmotte last year. #1 concentrated only on long rides, #2 mixed long rides with at least one crit a week, usually Palace. #2 ended up much stronger on the day. If nothing else, racing increases your ability to withstand self induced pain. :)

Ah, but I only have time for longer rides OR racing. I'll have to do intervals in RP.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    8)

Ah, but I only have time for longer rides OR racing. I'll have to do intervals in RP.
    I'll have to disagree with me, too. Well, to an extent. ;)

Actually, I'm abstaining from racing now but only so I won't be burnt out by july. Higher intensity and intervals will definitely feature in my marmotte training but when I'm ready.

In 2009 I did a lot of intensity and volume in the first third of the year. By the summer I had no enthusiasm to get out on the bike and spent six weeks in a row sat on my ar$e at the weekends. I'm going to build up a bit more slowly this time.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Ar crap i'm doomed every road out of my gaff leads to hills, I have no chance of getting in good steady pace miles, today for instances 30 miles 3500ft of climbing, that can't be good winter base mile training :cry:

Okay turbo for me for the next couple of months
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    8)

I'll have to disagree with me, too. Well, to an extent. ;)

Ooops, I may have misquoted you then. :oops:
    Actually, I'm abstaining from racing now but only so I won't be burnt out by july. Higher intensity and intervals will definitely feature in my marmotte training but when I'm ready.

In 2009 I did a lot of intensity and volume in the first third of the year. By the summer I had no enthusiasm to get out on the bike and spent six weeks in a row sat on my ar$e at the weekends. I'm going to build up a bit more slowly this time.
    [/quote]

I'd agree with the idea that racing at intensity helps raise your fitness levels. However, in my case, I've always suffered - badly, like internal-systems-failure badly - from a lack of miles in my previous sportives, which is why I'd prefer to get the miles in. Also, my sportive bike would be my race bike, and I'd prefer not to risk it in race.

Also, 'cross racers aren't crits. While they're feckin' exhausting, I think I'd achieve more in the time available if I went for a run.

Alas, with the family, it's all about being time efficient and, IMHO, the time I spend travelling to a race, registering, warming up, packing and travelling back home is time wasted. Besides, racing is very painful and I'd be dropped, and be all on my own, so I might as well be all on my own in Richmond Park. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

Alas, with the family, it's all about being time efficient and, IMHO, the time I spend travelling to a race, registering, warming up, packing and travelling back home is time wasted. Besides, racing is very painful and I'd be dropped, and be all on my own, so I might as well be all on my own in Richmond Park. :)

I doubt very much that you'd be dropped. :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

I doubt very much that you'd be dropped. :)

Crystal Palace last August. Yuk. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:

Yes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Some cracking rides over the break : did the 60+ mile loop from Calne up the hills to Marlborough, then Ramsbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn, Burbage, Devizes a couple of times :

Then did the 2 hills on their own (Clyffe Pypard & Hackpen) a couple of times once with the sleet hammering into my face as I went up CP. Cracking fun but unbelievably cold.

Isn't it funny how your hands hurt the most not when they go numb but when the feeling starts to come back into them ...

:):):)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • jonginge
    Some cracking rides over the break : did the 60+ mile loop from Calne up the hills to Marlborough, then Ramsbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn, Burbage, Devizes a couple of times :

Then did the 2 hills on their own (Clyffe Pypard & Hackpen) a couple of times once with the sleet hammering into my face as I went up CP. Cracking fun but unbelievably cold.

Isn't it funny how your hands hurt the most not when they go numb but when the feeling starts to come back into them ...

I used to live not far from Wootton Bassett. I remember Clyffe Pypard to be a bit of nasty one. Great views at the top, though. I think one of the Swindon clubs uses it for its hill climb champs.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

+1 Been there a few times!

As for the training, I'd be focusing on endurance and sustained effort if I were you; ultimately that's what you're gonna need when you're slogging up those interminable cols. If you can shed some weight then that's gotta help too, not that any of us could ever achieve JG levels of skinny.

Dammit, I'm gonna suffer hard when I get back in the saddle. If anyone fancies dropping me in RP over the next few months just give me a shout, I'll be the bloke on the Focus going backwards...
  • jonginge

+1 Been there a few times!

As for the training, I'd be focusing on endurance and sustained effort if I were you; ultimately that's what you're gonna need when you're slogging up those interminable cols. If you can shed some weight then that's gotta help too, not that any of us could ever achieve JG levels of skinny.

Dammit, I'm gonna suffer hard when I get back in the saddle. If anyone fancies dropping me in RP over the next few months just give me a shout, I'll be the bloke on the Focus going backwards...
    +1. My primary training will be the 2hrs at 'sweetspot' level to replicate the length and intensity of the cols. This worked for my last trip to the alps, hoping it will again... especially when l'Alpe looms after 100miles :shock:

Going to be in the park quite a lot so shout when you want to go for a ride.

PS I'm currently at a whopping 67kg
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    I weigh almost a quarter of your body weight more than you. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Tuesday club nights at Castle Combe race track start in a couple of months and once there are enough numbers I'll be joining part of the saturday morning chain gang as well. I don't think I could keep up with the fast group but I'm told there'll be a slightly slower group soon so that will help.

I do want to try to do some 100s this year : I'm looking at the Dragon Ride or something similar and depending on work would like to try to organise a holiday around Ventoux or Alpe d'Huez ..... or maybe one of the Giro stages. We publish an Italian travel and holiday magazine so there might be a better opportunity of doing something that way.

And the reference to the pounds is spot on!! I reckon I have eaten my bodyweight in chocolate biscuits this Christmas ...

Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:

Going to be in the park quite a lot so shout when you want to go for a ride.

Will do! I'm lighter than normal at the mo, sadly this is due to atrophy and not any form of 'training'... :oops:
  • Roastie
    cjcp wrote:
    I'd agree with the idea that racing at intensity helps raise your fitness levels. However, in my case, I've always suffered - badly, like internal-systems-failure badly - from a lack of miles in my previous sportives, which is why I'd prefer to get the miles in. Also, my sportive bike would be my race bike, and I'd prefer not to risk it in race.

Also, 'cross racers aren't crits. While they're feckin' exhausting, I think I'd achieve more in the time available if I went for a run.

I hear you on the time thing and not wanting to risk trashing your good bike. I find that a local one hour 'cross race ends up taking up 4 hours at least!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    JonGinge wrote:

:lol: I was shocked when I got 68Kg, but that was after a HUGE dinner on Saturday.
    Got 67 on Sunday morning which was still about 3Kg up on what I was before Xmas.
    67Kg isn't bad for you, especially considering I'm more "compact" ;-)

Definately gonna be heading to RP more often this year and I might even be able to join you for evening visits once we get more light CJCP depending on where I'm working I might be able to meet you somewhere in town.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5