Ride Reports

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Well we tried to do a chain gang on Thursday night. Visibility in the driving rain was poor for the guy on the front and non existant for those following. We gave up after 4.5 miles and cruised home before meeting in the pub to tell everyone how hard core we were ;-)

p.s. metalwork hidden under flooded roads is still slippery even in a straight line...wibble
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • don_don wrote:
    Managed a 44-mile loop today, although the fairy visited me at about 12m, then again at 33m, and I didn't have a second spare tube. Turns out 1 cylinder of co2 takes you about 4 miles, and speedplays still suck to walk in.

LiT - have you got any of these?

Godsend for walking in and preventing 'speedplay related ars*/ground interface effect' :oops:

Yes, I have, but thanks for the tip!

Can I ever remember them? Nope...
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Met up with Feynmanc this morning for a very soggy 40 ish mile loop, very very wet and got to herd cattle in the middle of the ride (it was either that or turn back, they were blocking the road)

I love being a yokel :lol::lol::lol:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I wonder who they belonged to? And, would those people in that house have shot us from their upstairs window rather than come down to sort things, if they had been their cows?

We made pretty good cowboys, I reckon. I wouldn't have wanted to be that poor woman on the mountain bike that we herded them all towards though! That must have been a bit scary lol.
    us0.png
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :)

I now have a picture of Billy Crystal and Jack Palance from City Slickers planted firmly in my head.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • it twas rather damp this weekend, I went to gyncorrwg on saturday and did a loop of W2 on the mtb, was soaked before I left the carpark, it was like riding around a stream for 3 hours, but jolly good fun. Even had to pressure wash myself with the bike at the end I was so muddy. Plus it was a good excuse to grab some great food at the download cafe before its closes :(

so this morning went for a lap of cwmcarn as I thought the weather would be better..rain rain rain wind cold mud :shock: the mud acted like sandpaper and my brakes were all useless and metal on metal by the end, free wheel stopped being free and the rear mech twisted, good fun though.........and another pressure wash of myself at the end!!! 8)

....summer where art thou?
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cjcp
    gert_lush wrote:
    so this morning went for a lap of cwmcarn as I thought the weather would be better..rain rain rain wind cold mud :shock:

:lol:

So, let me get this right: you went to Wales looking for "better" weather?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    cjcp wrote:
    :)

I now have a picture of Billy Crystal and Jack Palance from City Slickers planted firmly in my head.

Add some lycra and dayglo yellow and you wouldn't be far wrong :lol:
    us0.png
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    ooo lit how long did you have to walk for?? This thread is making me look forward to getting my new bike and doing long weekend rides :)
  • cjcp wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:
    so this morning went for a lap of cwmcarn as I thought the weather would be better..rain rain rain wind cold mud :shock:

:lol:

So, let me get this right: you went to Wales looking for "better" weather?

uh-huh :oops:

it wasn't

although was quite nice on the way home :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Went out for what was suppose to be a 50 miler on Sunday morning.

So, you know when you get no more than 100 yards from home and you know it's not going to end well ..... I just had a feeling ...

And God duly obliged. 10 -15 mins from home the heavens absolutely opened and it was like someone had an ice cold power shower directed straight at me. The rain was of deluge proportions and horizontal to boot and penetrated every last bit of protection I was wearing and stayed like that for the next hour and a half.

I was naturally determined not to let it get me down so I rode like a madman (how else?) and managed to do the princely sum of 14.2 miles in the first hour. The wind was like nothing I've ridden in for ages. I thought I'd just get my head down and ride out into the teeth of it for 25 miles and then come home with it at my back but it just drained me completely and I got cold to the core.

I admitted defeat around Potterne and decided to head for home and a hot bath only to be overtaken going up the home stretch from Bromham to Calne by the entire Chippenham Wheelers chain gang. I was bedraggled, miserable, cold and wet, and covered in mud and crap and not in the least bit responsive to cheery well meaning cries of, "Jump on, jump on."

I managed a paltry 30 miles by the way.

Sometimes it's just better to stay at home ....... :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Went out for what was suppose to be a 50 miler on Sunday morning.

So, you know when you get no more than 100 yards from home and you know it's not going to end well ..... I just had a feeling ...

And God duly obliged. 10 -15 mins from home the heavens absolutely opened and it was like someone had an ice cold power shower directed straight at me. The rain was of deluge proportions and horizontal to boot and penetrated every last bit of protection I was wearing and stayed like that for the next hour and a half.

I was naturally determined not to let it get me down so I rode like a madman (how else?) and managed to do the princely sum of 14.2 miles in the first hour. The wind was like nothing I've ridden in for ages. I thought I'd just get my head down and ride out into the teeth of it for 25 miles and then come home with it at my back but it just drained me completely and I got cold to the core.

I admitted defeat around Potterne and decided to head for home and a hot bath only to be overtaken going up the home stretch from Bromham to Calne by the entire Chippenham Wheelers chain gang. I was bedraggled, miserable, cold and wet, and covered in mud and crap and not in the least bit responsive to cheery well meaning cries of, "Jump on, jump on."

I managed a paltry 30 miles by the way.

Sometimes it's just better to stay at home ....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I feel your pain :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • And what a difference a week makes!!

Remembering the madness of my last effort I decided to play safe and go out on Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday and risk repeating my rendition of Noah and the Flood from last weekend.

Went up to Bushton, then managed to stay in the saddle all the way up Clyffe Pypard and straight up Hackpen Hill and then flew through Mildenhall and Ramsbury and into Hungerford. Took a right out of the town this time and went through the trading estate and out to Little Bedwyn and Great Bedwyn before going up the drag to Burbage. From Burbage it was a cracking run back to Pewsey and Devizes and over the hill to Calne and home.

63 miles (100k) in total and a beautiful ride, and I felt like I had plenty in my legs when I got home as well.

Much happier and encouraged that I'll be able to manage an early Sportive 100 next year.

:D:D:D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • itboffin
    Beautiful morning, I set off with a spring in my stride, planning to go as far as my legs would carry me, but alas universal balance needed to be restored and it twaz in style.

8.43 miles in after a shocker of a short sharp hill I got that spongy rear wheel feeling and sure enough slow puncture, no problems I'm well drilled and prepared for these events.

Wheel off, tube out and inspected yep microscopic pin hole caused by a tiny shard of glass still firmly embedded in the puncture proof tyre :roll:

New tube out fitted and back on the bike, did the normal inspection of the fitting slammed on the Co2 and ..... BANG!!!

Pinched the only tube I had :lol: never mind I repaired the other one and this time used the hand pump (thought of you Linsen) and once again snapped the value off at 60psi - bugger :D

Ride over all I could manage now was to limp the 8 miles home, never mind there's always tomorrow and I'll take more tubes with me.

As I said beautiful morning, I just hope it's like this next weekend.

When I got home, no one was in, I had no keys, classic! :lol: and then when I took my rear wheel off the upper jockey wheel feel off ....

Balance is restored, carry on.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Beautiful morning, I set off with a spring in my stride, planning to go as far as my legs would carry me, but alas universal balance needed to be restored and it twaz in style.

8.43 miles in after a shocker of a short sharp hill I got that spongy rear wheel feeling and sure enough slow puncture, no problems I'm well drilled and prepared for these events.

Wheel off, tube out and inspected yep microscopic pin hole caused by a tiny shard of glass still firmly embedded in the puncture proof tyre :roll:

New tube out fitted and back on the bike, did the normal inspection of the fitting slammed on the Co2 and ..... BANG!!!

Pinched the only tube I had :lol: never mind I repaired the other one and this time used the hand pump (thought of you Linsen) and once again snapped the value off at 60psi - bugger :D

Ride over all I could manage now was to limp the 8 miles home, never mind there's always tomorrow and I'll take more tubes with me.

As I said beautiful morning, I just hope it's like this next weekend.

When I got home, no one was in, I had no keys, classic! :lol: and then when I took my rear wheel off the upper jockey wheel feel off ....

Balance is restored, carry on.

Bad luck dude, I knew I was better off staying warm and dry this weekend :wink::lol::lol:

That's what you get for dodging the PF for so long :roll: What has she got in store for you tommorow I wonder :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Does anyone else buy inner tubes x 10 at a time?

I make that 38 proper PF visits this year, with another 10 or so glue patch mishaps.

So far I've tried these tyres and every make of inner tube.

Tioga DH
    Conti Sports Contact
    Conti Mountain King
    Conti Speed King
    Conti Explorer
    Conti Ultra Sport
    Conti Ultra Gator
    Michelin Lithion
    Bontrager Race Lite
    Schwalbe Stelvio
  • Try some Vittoria Rubino/Rubino Pro - been very good to me (better than they Krylions they replaced)

Either that or just buy 100 innertubes in one go - she's guaranteed to leave you alone after that just to spite you!!
  • itboffin wrote:
    Does anyone else buy inner tubes x 10 at a time?

I make that 38 proper PF visits this year, with another 10 or so glue patch mishaps.

So far I've tried these tyres and every make of inner tube.

Tioga DH
    Conti Sports Contact
    Conti Mountain King
    Conti Speed King
    Conti Explorer
    Conti Ultra Sport
    Conti Ultra Gator
    Michelin Lithion
    Bontrager Race Lite
    Schwalbe Stelvio

I use Schwalbe Blizzards on the roadie 1 puncture in this year, inner tubes? no i buy one when i need it, the commute bike hasn't needed anything in living memory thats marthon pluses for you.
  • itboffin
    I may have only been 25 miles today but wow what a beauty AGAIN :D

I LUV this place, when the sun is out I can't think of anywhere else i'd rather be.
  • I buy Contis out of habit but two this year have split at the seams when I've changed a tube, so perhaps I should look elsewhere...
  • Hi ITB : I have now completely blown it and will doubtless incur the wrath of the PF BUT I've only had 1 visit this year and I've been on Michelin Pro Race, doing some decent mileage and occasionally over some seriously dodgy ground. They're fast and don't take the strength of 2 Samsons to get them over the rims.

And talking of dodgy ground - went out with the Wheelers on Sunday up to Malmesbury and we went through about half a dozen lanes up to the bloomin cranks in water. I did cop out at one point and didn't fancy one mini lake as the water was half way up the door of a car coming the opposite way to us!!

Had to dismount and run through a farmyard to circumnavigate it.

If they'd told me I'd have brought a snorkel ...
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • cjcp
    I buy Contis out of habit but two this year have split at the seams when I've changed a tube, so perhaps I should look elsewhere...

My two sets of 25mms have split at the seams. The Schwalbe Durano Pluses arrived while I was away, so will let you know what they're like.

@ITB - do most of your deflations occur in the sticks? If so, is it just a case of there being more guff on the road (e.g. from hedges and stuff) where you are? What about riding style? Do you ride close to the side of the road?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    I buy Contis out of habit but two this year have split at the seams when I've changed a tube, so perhaps I should look elsewhere...

My two sets of 25mms have split at the seams. The Schwalbe Durano Pluses arrived while I was away, so will let you know what they're like.

@ITB - do most of your deflations occur in the sticks? If so, is it just a case of there being more guff on the road (e.g. from hedges and stuff) where you are? What about riding style? Do you ride close to the side of the road?

Yep all but two (Richmond Park drinks on the same day) have been local rides, and the roads / lanes around my neck of the woods are only just roads.

Small price to pay for so much great riding, looking forward to the soggy journey home :D
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Liverpool to Sheffield, 88 miles

Proper winter ride today. Started and finished in the dark, cold enough for everything but still sweated like a pig underneath, lost contact with my feet by the end of the day.

Was going to get out super-early this morning to get a couple of hours in the dark to give my new Fenix a proper trial, and to avoid finishing in the dark tonight on unfamiliar rural roads. But, bed was too appealing and I dawdled too much. Great feeling though to start out at the time I leave for work but go in the opposite direction, against the flow of traffic.

It was a ride of two halves. First 40-ish miles to Macclesfield were flattish, so progress was good despite the cold in my legs, the blinding low December sunshine and dead legs having not been out for a proper ride for 2 months to the date. Progress so good in fact that I arrived looking for a cafe for an early lunch and business hadn't got going yet.

From then on was the Peak District. Half a mile from the cafe was the start of the 7-mile climb of the Cat & Fiddle. Shame it was full of numties this morning. A lorry tried to overtake me on a sharp, narrow left-hand bend, then on two separate occasions, cars coming the other way overtook a lorry in front of them regardless of the fact I was on the other side of the road. At least the adrenaline got me a bit further up the hill.

Down the other side to Buxton (descents are great when you've got confidence in your brakes) and straight up the next one, Long Hill. The flatter respite bit to Chapel wasn't; that was a climb as well. Then Rushup Edge and Mam Nick ... suffering now. Even the little inclines in the Edale valley had me dying a death. Can't see myself making it to Sheffield - there's one more big hill in the way, not much daylight time left. See how far I can make it then give up and get the train.

I limped my way down the Edale valley to Hope and had another cafe stop. It worked wonders. It was starting to go dark by the time I left (half 3). My mind was tired enough for me to easily fool it - it's only 4 miles to Hathersage from where I can call it quits and get the train home. Easy! No trouble. My mind was happy with that. I was at Hathersage before I knew it. Hoping my tired mind wouldn't noticed, I carried on through and onto the climb of Millstone Edge. It didn't notice. I grinned - fooled again. Me? Give up? Never!

Sheffield looked fantastic, all lit up from up on the hill. 8 miles to the city centre, the sign said, and downhill all the way. Descents seem so much faster when it's dark - I should do this more often :twisted: :shock: :D

Arrived in Sheffield at rush hour, it was a nice end to the ride to be stuck in heavy traffic knowing they'd all been in work and I hadn't :lol:
  • iain_j
    And another... I could get used to this 'week off work' lark :lol:

Liverpool to Kendal, 97 miles

Yesterday was a beauty of a day. Legs felt dead following Tuesday's ride, didn't expect to get all that far. Got a decent early start this time though, and I was most of the way to Billinge Hill before it was bright enough to turn off the lights. I was going to avoid this climb, the 1-in-7 brute that it is, but it stretched the life back into my muscles and I felt fantastic afterwards, better than I had done for ages.

Barelled my way across Lancashire, gloating at the rush-hour traffic along the way, through Preston, onto the next 20-mile leg to Glasson for lunch. Blink and you miss it, I was there. Woah, progress is good today.

Unusually for me I did a long stint on cycle ways up to Morecambe, bypassing Lancaster city centre and getting my nice, clean, shiny bike all muddy. Great fun :D Then along the prom towards Carnforth, eyeing up the Lake District across the bay. There's something good about arriving by bike at views you've had so many times but only by car.

Made a hilly detour at Carnforth across the hills to Arnside. The hills weren't a struggle so much but they were certainly slow progress. It was well worth the effort though for the golden sunset over the hills. Spooky too with fog forming in the valleys.

Along the waterside to Milnthorpe, and onto the last leg of the journey to Kendal. I was most of the way there - about 5 miles to go - and on a swoop down to a bridge under the railway I met water. There were even depth gauges at the side of the bridge. The gauge at my end said the water was 6 inches deep, the one at the far end looked a bit deeper. I ummed and ahhed for a minute, then carefully started riding across. Almost straight away the front wheel hit an underwater bump and instinctively I put my foot down. Sploosh. Argh it's cold. Retreat! Retreat!

I had a detour of about 2 miles to find another bridge, which wasn't flooded, but it looked like it had been and there was mud flying everywhere off my wheels. As darkness well and truly fell the lights of Kendal finally appeared ahead. Then darkness fell on me too as the batteries in my L2D died. Still enough light in the sky to see what I was doing to change the batteries and I was off again, praying Kendal came quickly as my wet foot was slowly freezing.

The last couple of miles were downhill, then I had a slightly surreal drag-strip race around the town's one-way system, looking for the station, competing against a homicidal bus driver and other motorists who if they genuinely didn't see me they must have been blind. Found the station but decided being so close to the 100 mile mark now, I'd add a few miles by going up the road to the next station at Oxenholme. Very much up the road, back up the hill I'd descended on the way into town. Still didn't make the 100 miles but it was close enough.

Yesterday was the answer to all those times I've been asked "why do you go and ride that far". Fabulous day.
  • cjcp
    Chapeau!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! what a nice days ride that was.

Met up with Sewimman at 8:20 for a quick coffee then it was off into the wilds of Hants, Berks & Wilts for 50 miles of lovely rolling traffic free moist lanes with the odd semi off road sections punctuated with the first deflation of the day, mine natch! :lol:

Silly me I also forgot both water bottles and my easy to use Co2 adapter but still the weather held out and the wind was no where to be found, a minor miracle for these parts. With plenty of opportunities to enjoy the stunning views as we rolled around the hills the time flew by and before we knew it we were tucking into a "healthy" pub lunch washed down with lashing and lashing of ginger beer..... :roll:

What should we find on the hop back to the station but a LBS which just so happens to stock Castelli :D - that's the new overshoes taken care of.

Oh and I scoped 5th place on the stats league AGAIN, not that i'm counting :D

route here
    http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=1878064

and here
    www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28104

I should also add that when peeling the knee strap off the smell was pretty shall we say fruity :?
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Did a lovely 28 miles through the lanes into Dinas Powis, then Sully, Penarth Beach and up Beach Hill into Penarth Town, I was feeling quite positive for the first half which felt nice and easy, then I got into the struggle mode of the second half. It's not much of a hill but my fitness level is quite poor.

I was finding it hard to maintain 17 - 18 mph on the flat for the first 10 miles or so but I started to feel better the way back home past Roath Park, then onto Newport Road. Had a bit of fun with a Range Rover and managed to stay with him from Town up to the Royal Mail centre on Penarth Road, somehow maintaining 25mph for a fair old time (that speed is good for me).

Stopped off at my LBS for a recovery drink and drooled over a Cannondale Super Six, great looking bike.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Cracking ride on Saturday (SWMBO and I had made a Christmas shopping pact for the Sunday). Managed a quiet 30 on Friday evening round the lanes as well so pleased I had plenty in my legs the following morning.

Went out through the lanes to Foxham then up to Malmesbury, across through Brinkworth and dropped down into Wotton Bassett. It was a bit windy but glorious.

Took a right back towards Bushton and home but then decided to go up the hills and out to Marlborough to make it into a 50+.

When I've done Clyffe Pypard and Hackpen together it's usually been in the first hour of my ride so I'm reasonably fresh. I was keen to see how I'd feel going up after about 2 hours of fairly brisk riding and it was fine so I was pleased with that.

Stopped for a wee just before Avebury and as I was coming back out onto the road a racer shot past and off I went in hot pursuit. He was about 40-50 yards ahead and try as I might I just couldn't get back to him. He turned off towards Devizes and I carried on up the A4 secretly grateful I didn't have to knacker myself more than I already had!!

Another busy week ahead so happy to have got a decent ride in on the weekend.
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • iain_j
    With thanks to an early finish from work, I crammed one more ride in tonight, for two reasons: one, I wanted to give my L2D a proper test on unlit roads, and two, I'm only 35 miles off the 1000-mile mark for the year (not including commuting) and I couldn't let it by!

So off I went at 5 o'clock, cursing the rush hour traffic and making not much progress at all. Bloody traffic lights. Took half an hour to do the first 2 miles. But past Kirkby, 8 miles out, the roads were mine and I was able to get the blood pumping and warm up properly. Welcome back, fingers and toes.

Also past Kirkby were the open, unlit roads, and as I rode into the black wall beyond the last roadlight, I cranked up the L2D and marvelled at the spread of light in front of me. Unlike my monster of a light that was the old Cateye one, not only could I see where I was going but I could go there at my normal speed. Great fun. But what's these little white flecks in the beam of light? And why is the road suddenly glistening?

Went past a couple of houses a few miles down the road and the light from their windows revealed the road to be nicely glazed over with frost. Shiiiiiiit. My progress suddenly wasn't so fast. I revised my route to cut out some of the local hills and stuck to the flatter roads instead, and aimed for the larger lanes and B-roads where I hoped the traffic would clear the road.

My plan worked and I had the rest of the ride frost-free, apart from my fingers and toes again. Had a magical few miles as well in heavy snowfall. Completely made up with my L2D too. For the first time ever, oncoming cars lowered their headlights. Could do with a 2nd one though to give me a wider spread of light, the downhill twisty bit to Kings Moss was a bit frightful, suddenly lost sight of the road round the left-hand bends :shock:

Made it home with 36 miles on the clock, 1001 for the year, and water bottles full of ice :lol: