Ride Reports

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well it's the test valley tour tomorrow I think i'm ready, the bikes not in bad condition me however mmm well it's pretty shocking what a couple of lazy weeks can do to your base fitness.

The route profiles and list of hills shows it going to be a tough one well atleast I have local knowledge and good weather :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    There had been talk of doing an Isle of Wight ride a few weeks ago which put the idea in my head, so with a free weekend and lovely weather, I jumped on the bike and rode down to the Ferry in Southampton. I missed the ferry by 5 minutes and had to wait an hour for the next one, not a great start.
    I've not been around the island even in a car, so it would all be new to me. I had an idea where the hills were, but with various different ways around it, it was hard to really know where they would be.
    The alpine-esque hairpins and magical view at the Needles was lovely. Descending a long hill at about 40mph amongst some cars and 4 or 5 motorbikes feeling like Fabian Cancellara for a few minutes was great. Dieing, for no noticeable reason at the end of Miltary Road, yet climbing the big hill there was just weird. (no bonk, flat, a little wind but nothing to write home about) The climb out of Ventnor that I just didn't realise was there was hard. It was a struggle in the end as I got near the longest distance I'd ridden before with still more to do, and the fact none of the road signs would tell me how far it was to the next town was really starting to annoy me with every one I passed, but after a short break in Ryde (having long ago lost my little map) and yet another hill to climb, I was back near East Cowes and once I'd finally convinced my dead legs there were no more hills to climb I flew down to the ferry.
    Damn thing had broken an engine, it was almost a two hour wait for the next one. I didn't get back to the mainland till nearly 9, and had to wimp out and take the train home as I didn't have any lights with me. Bibshorts and a short-sleeve cycling top are ideal for riding around the island, they don't quite work as well with a 2 hours wait, an hour ferry crossing and a half hour wait for the train!
    Lesson learned, leave the damn coil lock at home next time. It sits in the jacket pocket and causes nothing but back pain, but all the delays and struggles were more than worth it, it was a lovely ride, definitely one to do again next year.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    There had been talk of doing an Isle of Wight ride a few weeks ago which put the idea in my head, so with a free weekend and lovely weather, I jumped on the bike and rode down to the Ferry in Southampton. I missed the ferry by 5 minutes and had to wait an hour for the next one, not a great start.
    I've not been around the island even in a car, so it would all be new to me. I had an idea where the hills were, but with various different ways around it, it was hard to really know where they would be.
    The alpine-esque hairpins and magical view at the Needles was lovely. Descending a long hill at about 40mph amongst some cars and 4 or 5 motorbikes feeling like Fabian Cancellara for a few minutes was great. Dieing, for no noticeable reason at the end of Miltary Road, yet climbing the big hill there was just weird. (no bonk, flat, a little wind but nothing to write home about) The climb out of Ventnor that I just didn't realise was there was hard. It was a struggle in the end as I got near the longest distance I'd ridden before with still more to do, and the fact none of the road signs would tell me how far it was to the next town was really starting to annoy me with every one I passed, but after a short break in Ryde (having long ago lost my little map) and yet another hill to climb, I was back near East Cowes and once I'd finally convinced my dead legs there were no more hills to climb I flew down to the ferry.
    Damn thing had broken an engine, it was almost a two hour wait for the next one. I didn't get back to the mainland till nearly 9, and had to wimp out and take the train home as I didn't have any lights with me. Bibshorts and a short-sleeve cycling top are ideal for riding around the island, they don't quite work as well with a 2 hours wait, an hour ferry crossing and a half hour wait for the train!
    Lesson learned, leave the damn coil lock at home next time. It sits in the jacket pocket and causes nothing but back pain, but all the delays and struggles were more than worth it, it was a lovely ride, definitely one to do again next year.

Sounds like you had fun. The 'plan' for an SCR ride sort of fell apart, but I think I'll have another lap of the IOW in my next week off, fortnight's time. I did the IOW Randonnee last May (55k route but ended up doing 59 miles all in!), and the full RTI this year (splendid time despite umpteen chain drops, sunburn, and the Bembridge stop running out of tea..!!). The best way round, AFAIK, is the 'official' signposted route, which avoids some of the worst climbs- though I'd agree, all the little deceptive ones are worst...!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    Just back from the Test Valley Tour all was not well, started off near to the back and blasted away but 10 miles in and my back started hurting which got worse and worse but luckily the agony from my right knee soon made me forget about that in true SCR style I MTFU and rode on and on making very good time in fact 20 miles in 1 hour then BAM! cramp in the left hamstring :? at first I had no idea what had just happened as I've never had cramps when cycling I really thought my race was over but 5 mins or so of stretching took care of that and I was on my way again all pretty uneventful apart from the red hot burning and stabbing pain on the outside of my right knee, 40 miles came in 2 hours so far so good then WHACK cramp again in the same place WTF! :evil: another 10 mins stretching and rubbing grrrr! still the few people that did pass me we're all quickly dispatched once back on the bike but by this point I couldn't put any weight on the right knee and had to stop several times to adjust cleat positions which sort of helped but I think by then the damage had been done, in the end I had to more and more frequently unclip and heal pedal or one leg pedal, thankfully I know the route well so could judge when the efforts would be needed lots of MTFU and the odd whimper :cry:

Still I managed to finish the 100k in 3:30 moving time and about 3:45 with stops, bleeding annoyed as I could have done a 3 hr.

Ah well next time, my knee is agony right now - does not bode well for the commute :(

So here a question for the council of elders, were my cramps caused by the freebie "anti cramp" carb hydro tables included in this month C+ mag?
    or perhaps the poor cleat position on the right leg put more strain on the left?

My pre-race prep was as normal, hydration was good, food good in fact I didn't need to stop for water my 2 x 750ml bottles was just the right amount, no weight loss or other dehydration side effects.

Even with my half dozen stops and one legged finish only two cyclist past me the whole ride, no bad going me thinks :wink:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=21460
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • thats CRAmP, sounds like a painful day Mr Boffin, hate days when it should go right, but then all goes wrong!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • I had a great riding weekend, finished work friday afternoon, packed up the bike with 2 panniers worth of sleeping bags , stoves and tent...and tux accross the top and hot in 35 miles and camped near bridgwater. Got up satuday and knocked off the next 68 miles pretty well down to newton abbot way, although the back roads i chose could be hillier and there was one killer hill I struggled to get up in the granny ring, it was soooooo long and steep!!! was at the wedding reception in plenty of time to pitch my tent and get into my perfectly ironed :roll: tux out of its bag, have a great afternoon/evening drinking, up this morning reload bike and cycle 103 mile back home in the sunshine back up the A38 to Bristol.....pretty tired now, legs sore, butt sore,face a bit red :oops: ..but happy with 206 miles :D:D:D ..and hangovers gone!!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • itboffin wrote:
    So here a question for the council of elders, were my cramps caused by the freebie "anti cramp" carb hydro tables included in this month C+ mag?
    or perhaps the poor cleat position on the right leg put more strain on the left?

Dunno about the freebies - mine are still in the larder with the ones from the Dragon and various other events. I'd put it down to lack of miles if my own experience is anything to go by. No commuting miles whatsoever for the past few weeks is taking its toll and meant that my run out to Surrey Hills on Saturday was almost as painful as your trip sounds... Only 65 miles, including an embarrasingly slow Box Hill climb in the morning. Took the mountain bikes out for a family pootle to Kew in the afternoon and nearly got dropped by the 11year old :oops:

Later, fell asleep watching Strictly :oops:

If this what old age is going to be like, you can stuff it. :evil:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ITB - look at your saddle and bar height and position. Also, your cleats.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    ITB - look at your saddle and bar height and position. Also, your cleats.

Height & position all good, cleats well that I think IS my problem, having just switched to look from spd this was my 2nd ride over 50 miles and I think by the time I sorted the right foot the damage had been done.

That said I'm now thinking of splashing some cash of a full bikefit.
  • itboffin
    I'm planning on entering the Wilier New Forest sportive on the 11th Oct just the 100k standard distance and the course is flat :D

I found this "Billy no mates" on Phil O'Conner website, the camera added 20lbs at least :oops:

http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/thu ... &stamped=1
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm planning on entering the Wilier New Forest sportive on the 11th Oct just the 100k standard distance and the course is flat :D

I found this "Billy no mates" on Phil O'Conner website, the camera added 20lbs at least :oops:

Flat? "The Course sweeps through quiet leafy country roads taking in some challenging hills such as ‘Blissford Hill’, which is a short but sharp 25% beast. "
    Might do the South Downs one the following week....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    StuAff wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Flat? "The Course sweeps through quiet leafy country roads taking in some challenging hills such as ‘Blissford Hill’, which is a short but sharp 25% beast. "

Yes it's flat i've already ridden the course several times, flat as a pancake 25% pah!

i've seen bigger mole hills ....
  • stuaff
    itboffin wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yes it's flat i've already ridden the course several times, flat as a pancake 25% pah!

i've seen bigger mole hills ....

Fair enough.
  • itboffin wrote:

:) I know that feeling, although in your case it's all those extra layers - goodness knows how you'll manage when it gets cold :wink: .

At least you didn't need a lid though. I think we need to compile a list of sportives where you don't need one so that I can start planning for next year...
  • itboffin
    7 miles that's how far I managed today before my right knee exploded in pain the return journey home was like walking over broken glass on my knees

:cry:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    7 miles that's how far I managed today before my right knee exploded in pain the return journey home was like walking over broken glass on my knees

:cry:
    Not good. Not good at all. You're not using fixed cleats with those Looks are you?

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/health ... rt-2-17445
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    :( Not good, ITB.

What have you changed to cause this pain? If it's occurring on a different bike, what's the difference between the set up/gear on this bike and the others?

EDIT: sorry, just re-read your post above. Cheaper to change back rather than go for the bikefit? The floating SPD-SLs work for me better than the Looks I had.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    When I fitted the looks I had to raise my saddle a couple of mm because of back pain during the first long ride but no knee pain at the time, the odd things is todays ride was on the CX with SPDs and my shoes i've worn for the last 2 years without problem, I can only hope this pain is from last weekend injury having not fully healed and not the start of serious injury :(

Resting now with compression tube and red wine :wink:

Jon the cleats that came with the pedals have 4.5 degree float which might not be enough seeing as i've been SPD for 2-3 years.

Edit: i'm pretty sure its the lateral collateral ligament that hurts
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Hello leafy surrey :):):)

Had a nice 50 mile loop on parts of the Surrey cycle route today, borrow my mates heavy thorn tourer and him and his missus were on a tandem and went for tootle in the sun. There were sooooooo many cyclists out, never seen so many, so hello to everyone i saw and said hello too (except all those going down Leith hill when I was tagging onto the Leith hill hill climb to see how fast I could get up it and almost passed out :lol: it was much heavier then my road bike! ) what a jolly splendid day, especially the tea and cake at the tower :roll:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    ITB: Urg! Sounds painful! Take care of that. :cry:
  • cjcp
    gert_lush wrote:

Had a nice 50 mile loop on parts of the Surrey cycle route today, borrow my mates heavy thorn tourer and him and his missus were on a tandem and went for tootle in the sun. There were sooooooo many cyclists out, never seen so many, so hello to everyone i saw and said hello too (except all those going down Leith hill when I was tagging onto the Leith hill hill climb to see how fast I could get up it and almost passed out :lol: it was much heavier then my road bike! ) what a jolly splendid day, especially the tea and cake at the tower :roll:

:) My club had their hill climb comp on Leith Hill yesterday. Winner went up in 3:43 :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:

:) My club had their hill climb comp on Leith Hill yesterday. Winner went up in 3:43 :shock:

Ah, but from which direction? The climb from Dorking is harder IMO. Leith Hill's a pussycat compared to Whitedown...
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    cjcp wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:

:shock: that seems pretty quick!

I timed myself up it on my mates Thorn raven tour which weights about 15kg and was a tad over 5mins 30 secs, would like to try it on my bike :D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did the Blenheim Palace 100 miler yesterday. Superb route, v challenging with some good hills to stretch the chain another percentage point or two, and some cracking scenery. The Cotswolds on a sunny Autumn day is quite marvelous.

Anyway. 100 miles, my first sportiv, hugely enjoyable.

Highlights: passing a lot more than passed me; the bacon rolls at the Lower Swell rest halts (out and on the return leg); Belas Knap hill - v steep but stayed on the bike unlike a few who walked it; adopting full tuck and hitting 46mph on one long hill (Snowhill?); spotting distant riders on the horizon and reeling them in with some ease; not feeling as knackered beyond 60 miles as I had at 30-40 miles in and realising that it was getting easier as the miles rolled past; and discovering (again) that 100 miles is not the hardest thing to do on a bike.

Lowlights: the cold for the first 10-15 miles - once I'd binned the cotton base-layer T shirt as planned at L Swell everything changed for the better. Who says Lycra doesn't work? The sign that shouted '70 Miles To Go' - I didn't need that at that point thanks; missing the turn back into BP at Ditchley Gate on the run in (thanks to those marshalls whose job seemed to be to sit in the sun and watch instead of actively guiding riders back in). The group I'd caught at that junction were also bemused by it.

That's pretty much it - everything went to plan, even meeting the family at 88 miles within 5 minutes of the anticipated meet time. That was good.

ITB - I didn't do the legs. It was never in the plan. :)
  • Some lovely sessions in the last couple of days.

On Friday SWMBO had her hair done in Cowbridge (don't ask) so I stuck the bike in the back of the car and we arranged to meet at my folks in Caerphilly. Had a lovely 45 mile ride round the coast - Llantwit, Rhoose, Barry, Lavernock then up through Cardiff past the Millennium Stadium and the Castle and then straight up Thornhill and over Caerphilly Mountain. 48mph down the other side into the town and great fun. Averaged 17mph which I was pleased with given the hills, the traffic through Cardiff, and my knackered engine :lol::lol::lol:

On Sunday I swapped the Litespeed for the Allez and did a 60 miler from Calne out to Pewsey and Burbage again and this time went through Savernake out to Great Bedwyn and then past Shalbourne into Hungerford. Didn't fancy the A4 with a stiff headwind so snuck through the lanes via the pretty villages of Chilton Foliat, Axford, Ramsbury and dropped into Marlborough.

Out of Marlborough on the A4 then left through Lockeridge, up the scarp slope and then down into Alton Barnes, Allington, Horton and through Bishop's Cannings past N Wilts Golf Club and home to a very welcome hot bath.

This morning's 20 mile ride into the office felt a breeze by comparison. :D:D:D
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    It was a great weekend for bike riding. Raced the Gunpowder Park 'Cross - and finally finished a 'cross race! Started a bit late due to awful traffic on the way, but still managed to make up a lot of ground and finish reasonably well (33/80). The bike was perfect, though needs a clean!

It was quite funny, a bit like SCR. This one girl really made me work for her scalp - it ended up with a mini-sprint to a corner. Brilliant.

Full story in the usual place on my blog.
  • itboffin
    Some lovely sessions in the last couple of days.

On Friday SWMBO had her hair done in Cowbridge (don't ask) so I stuck the bike in the back of the car and we arranged to meet at my folks in Caerphilly. Had a lovely 45 mile ride round the coast - Llantwit, Rhoose, Barry, Lavernock then up through Cardiff past the Millennium Stadium and the Castle and then straight up Thornhill and over Caerphilly Mountain. 48mph down the other side into the town and great fun. Averaged 17mph which I was pleased with given the hills, the traffic through Cardiff, and my knackered engine :lol::lol::lol:

On Sunday I swapped the Litespeed for the Allez and did a 60 miler from Calne out to Pewsey and Burbage again and this time went through Savernake out to Great Bedwyn and then past Shalbourne into Hungerford. Didn't fancy the A4 with a stiff headwind so snuck through the lanes via the pretty villages of Chilton Foliat, Axford, Ramsbury and dropped into Marlborough.

Out of Marlborough on the A4 then left through Lockeridge, up the scarp slope and then down into Alton Barnes, Allington, Horton and through Bishop's Cannings past N Wilts Golf Club and home to a very welcome hot bath.

This morning's 20 mile ride into the office felt a breeze by comparison. :D:D:D

erm I think you may have passed me I was the chap in red white n blue going about 6 mph on a black Dolan CX - was that you?

Just outside of Burbage (home)
  • itboffin
    After this Sundays disappointingly painful ride I used my lunch break this afternoon to try a few bike adjustments, saddle position, height etc and changed my right cleat which all seemed to help but the pain is still there.

Tomorrows commute is going to be slow and painful still at least I'll be warm in my new socks, gloves and hat.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Thought I'd had a disappointing ride yesterday but having read ITBs report I hesitate to put this up, still at least I feel in good company.

Lovely sunny morning, bit nippy but knew I'd soon warm up - all that natural base layer you know :oops: - so I headed out for a quick 50 miles before lunch and a trip with the family.

Do 5 miles no problems, then all of a sudden have to pull over and spend 10 minutes throwing up (and not even much of a drink the night before to blame). Of course being the sensible soul I am, I carry on for another 15 miles into the wind, feeling like throwing up each time I take a drink before finally admitting that, maybe, there's someting wrong and I probably ought to go home.

Still at least I managed to get 40 miles in and managed to maintain a reasonable (for me) speed :)
  • Hi ITB

We're you coming up the hill towards me?? I do remember seeing someone there now you mention it??

I was on my old black and red Allez and in a black and red Specialized short sleeved top. Pretty sure I had my dark glasses on as well. I think I was still full of the joys of spring (and a following wind) and rattling along :)

I think that undulating stretch from Burbage out to Gt Bedwyn through Savernake is one of the prettiest bits of the whole ride. It all came to a screaming halt when I turned into the wind at Hungerford of course .... :)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper