Ride Reports

Comments

• Oh and hope the knee is improving??
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gert_lush wrote:
    :) My club had their hill climb comp on Leith Hill yesterday. Winner went up in 3:43 :shock:

:shock: that seems pretty quick!

I timed myself up it on my mates Thorn raven tour which weights about 15kg and was a tad over 5mins 30 secs, would like to try it on my bike :D[/quote]

Yup, it's bat-out-of-hell quick. At a guess, I'd say it's the equivalent of short 5-min time up Box Hill. Which is just silly.

5.30 on a Thorn is good going though!! :o

@Christophe - here's the course, but, I agree, that Whitedown is harder. It's not as suitable though because it's darker and narrower.

Q

The Course
    The hill climb is 1570 yards long and takes the southern route, from the Forest Green/Ockley side. The precise details are as follows:
    Start: in Abinger Road , just east of Forest Green, at a gate on the west side of the road opposite the footpath to New Barn House at the bottom Leith Hill 580 yards north of the junction with the B2126
    Finish: Proceed in a northerly direction past Leith Hill place to finish near summit of hill opposite grey metal painted post 70 yards before bridleway to Leith Hill Tower

UQ
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Some lovely sessions in the last couple of days.

On Friday SWMBO had her hair done in Cowbridge (don't ask) so I stuck the bike in the back of the car and we arranged to meet at my folks in Caerphilly. Had a lovely 45 mile ride round the coast - Llantwit, Rhoose, Barry, Lavernock then up through Cardiff past the Millennium Stadium and the Castle and then straight up Thornhill and over Caerphilly Mountain. 48mph down the other side into the town and great fun. Averaged 17mph which I was pleased with given the hills, the traffic through Cardiff, and my knackered engine :lol::lol::lol:

Hehe. :) You rode past my old house if you went up Lavernock Road, and my Mum's present house.

I did that coastal route in reverse last year in the driving wind and rain. From Cowbridge, I cut through the lanes to the A48, although had to head straight to Culverhouse Cross due to lack of time instead of riding through Peterstone and Creigiau.

Which Litespeed do you have?

ITB - what news on the knee?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Hi cjcp,

I was thinking to myself as I was hurtling past Aberthaw cement works that it was a bl**dy good job the wind was behind me as I would NOT like to ride that route into a headwind.

I might have foolishly referred a little while ago to Caerphilly Mountain being reasonably straightforward which it kind of is when you're at the start of a ride. Arriving at Thornhill with 40 pretty hard miles already under the wheels made it a slightly different proposition I can tell you!!

And yes I was on Lavernock Road but strangely didn't see any blue plaques with your name on / or your Mum's..... odd that :)

The Litespeed is an old titanium Siena - one of (if not) the first that was imported into the UK. It is brilliant at soaking up vibration from the road and is sooo comfortable on long journeys, and surprisingly quick (when I can get my ar*e into gear). It originally came with a bright red finish but I've had it rubbed back to the titanium and it looks really nice.

My pride and joy ....... :lol:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • cjcp
    Hi cjcp,

I was thinking to myself as I was hurtling past Aberthaw cement works that it was a bl**dy good job the wind was behind me as I would NOT like to ride that route into a headwind.

It was brutal. And, when you're battling to stop the bike veering into the road, not much fun either, so you definitely chose the right direction.
    I might have foolishly referred a little while ago to Caerphilly Mountain being reasonably straightforward which it kind of is when you're at the start of a ride. Arriving at Thornhill with 40 pretty hard miles already under the wheels made it a slightly different proposition I can tell you!!

Not been up that way. Benno's mentioned it before, so I might try and get up there when I'm home next.
    And yes I was on Lavernock Road but strangely didn't see any blue plaques with your name on / or your Mum's..... odd that :)

:lol: I know. It's outrageous. I've written to the Penarth Times to start a campaign for a statue of myself to replace the clock in the town centre, but they're having none of it.
    The Litespeed is an old titanium Siena - one of (if not) the first that was imported into the UK. It is brilliant at soaking up vibration from the road and is sooo comfortable on long journeys, and surprisingly quick (when I can get my ar*e into gear). It originally came with a bright red finish but I've had it rubbed back to the titanium and it looks really nice.

My pride and joy ....... :lol:

D'oh! I've just checked your sig! Mmm, I'm becoming more fixated with Ti bikes. I was drooling over the Icon in a recent CW review. One day...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • "I know. It's outrageous. I've written to the Penarth Times to start a campaign for a statue of myself to replace the clock in the town centre, but they're having none of it. "

PHILLISTINES!!

Caerphilly Mountain really isn't so bad at all going from the Cardiff side - honest. However, try coming back up it from the Caerphilly side - pure evil.

It's got to be close to 2 miles to the top from the cenotaph at the bottom of town. There are a few shortish flat bits to help you recover then at about half way up it turns into a 1 in 8 for around 400 - 500 yards before the road comes up in your face again 10 yards from the top.

Evil ......
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I did the Thornhill route up Caerphilly Mountain after a 10 mile warm up, I wouldn't attempt it after 40 miles. I liked going down it though - that's where I hit 50.

I've lost the plot recently, not been on the bike for a week (I've got man flu now).

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hi ITB

We're you coming up the hill towards me?? I do remember seeing someone there now you mention it??

I was on my old black and red Allez and in a black and red Specialized short sleeved top. Pretty sure I had my dark glasses on as well. I think I was still full of the joys of spring (and a following wind) and rattling along :)

I think that undulating stretch from Burbage out to Gt Bedwyn through Savernake is one of the prettiest bits of the whole ride. It all came to a screaming halt when I turned into the wind at Hungerford of course .... :)

Yep that was me lucky you couldn't see my manly tears of pain. I like that stretch too esp in the summer, it's part of my warmup lap, take a look at www.bikehike,.co.uk and search for Burbage I have a fair few routes on there you might be interested in.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    @cjcp the knee is fooked big time, this mornings 4hrs 15min commute (inc train) is testament to that :(

I have drugs, sprays and straps ooooh sounds kinky lets see how the ride home is but I suspect my chances of competing in this weekends NF sportive are out the window.

Bloody look pedals grrrr should have stuck with SPDs

Have you seen how much sport physio charge, day light robbery I tell you.

Grrrrr
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    @Runningman - thanks for the heads up. :) Just need to get out there now!

@ITB - mate, I think you need to stay well away from the bike for a week to give yourself a chance of recovery.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    @Runningman - thanks for the heads up. :) Just need to get out there now!

@ITB - mate, I think you need to stay well away from the bike for a week to give yourself a chance of recovery.

:cry:

[takes the car]

:cry::cry::cry:
  • Hard luck ITB.

I assume you've iced it plenty since you first did it to get shot of any inflammation so it's time for heat for about 20 mins at a time up to 4 times a day if you can arrange it.

I've got a mini hot water bottle in the office that I fill from the kettle - everyone thinks I'm barking mad anyway so they don't bat an eye now if I sit in the office with it stuck to various bits of me :D:D:D

When you get fed up with putting heat on it - put more heat on it - and then when you're really fed up - more heat. You get the idea !!

Then some gentle stretches and then lunges if you can manage them.

Saying that the only lunge I'm making this morning is for the biscuit tin.

Have to go away to the States for 4 days so this'll be my last post for a bit.

Serious case of the munchies :lol::lol::lol:
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • cjcp
    Just three laps of Richmond Park this morning (anti c/wise) in what on the face of it was a leisurely 64 mins, but had to crawl down Broomfield due to the gravel and was sweating buckets because I was over-cautious in wearing my Altura hi-viz "Boil in the Bag 2008". In my defence, it was raining when I left home.

Trying to get used to spinning this 46t. HR definitely felt elevated at times, but am hoping this will increase aerobic fitness. Oh, I wasn't overtaken either. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Just three laps of Richmond Park this morning (anti c/wise) in what on the face of it was a leisurely 64 mins, but had to crawl down Broomfield due to the gravel and was sweating buckets because I was over-cautious in wearing my Altura hi-viz "Boil in the Bag 2008". In my defence, it was raining when I left home.

Trying to get used to spinning this 46t. HR definitely felt elevated at times, but am hoping this will increase aerobic fitness. Oh, I wasn't overtaken either. :D

Did my 3 laps that afternoon - max temp was 21 8) . In the morning, had a spin out to Bucks ( Iver, Fulmer, Stoke Poges) and it was very autumnal..... arm/leg warmers, etc etc. Making the most of the sunshine whilst it lasts...
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Errm, well it all started so innocently. The next village has an autumn community type ride, which I did on my hybrid two years ago. I only did the shorter course and it was OK, even with the p*****re.

So when i saw signs for it this time I asked permission from Mrs S G and entered. The only thing was that the signs said M*****n B*** Ride :shock:

Well, the weather forecast was good (although it rained and the sun came out as I got back) and I cycled over there, signed in and set off. Plenty of signs, enough people ahead to help my navigation and the going was pretty good. Thirty miles in three hours including stops, fields, hedges, tracks, canal paths, woods and roads. All very jolly and friendly and a nice lunch laid on by the W I.

The thing is I liked it :shock: ...... lots! Have I fallen from grace? What will become of me? Shall i have to buy a Xbike with KB as the only person who will recognize me? I'm too young to be cast aside by life! Perhaps I'm at a croosroads, I feel I need help.

But it was fun and I might do it again....
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363

The thing is I liked it :shock: ...... lots! Have I fallen from grace? What will become of me? Shall i have to buy a Xbike with KB as the only person who will recognize me? I'm too young to be cast aside by life! Perhaps I'm at a croosroads, I feel I need help.

But it was fun and I might do it again....

what size cape was it?
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    XL
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Back from my jaunt / work in the US yesterday. What a mental city New York is.

Anyway having a break on Sunday morning sitting in Central Park jealously watching runners going round the 7 mile loop in preparation for the NY marathon - and bikes!! my God - every other bloomin bike seemed to be a full carbon Kestrel or Felt or Specialized .... and I couldn't run or ride and it was a beautiful morning .... grrrrr.

So I was a very happy boy to be back on the bike yesterday morning tearing through the cold misty lanes to work only to get a call from SWMBO to tell me thank you very much for putting all the bags in the car ready for her to go off to work but I'd bu**ered off with the car key in my back pocket - DOH!

Had to do an abrupt about turn at about 8 miles into the ride and fly back home. What a donkey - me that is .....

Realised going downhill at over 40mph that it's now pitch black at 7.30 and I really need my hi-vis jacket on for the trip home : DOH! (again)

Cracking ride in this morning though via Sandy Lane, past Lacock Abbey and through the village. It was a privilege to be out.
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • cjcp
    Anyway having a break on Sunday morning sitting in Central Park jealously watching runners going round the 7 mile loop in preparation for the NY marathon - and bikes!! my God - every other bloomin bike seemed to be a full carbon Kestrel

A chap I know - now lives in NY - had a head on crash with another bike in Central Park. He was on a Kestrel. It never quite felt the same again apparently.

Now, don't you all feel better knowing that? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Got out to do 4 laps of RP today. Lovely autumnal day and I misjudged the clothing level a bit. Still not really cold enough for a soft shell in the middle of the day and the assos 851 gloves were also a mistake :?

I seemed to spend a lot of the time free-wheeling due to plenty many cars obeying a speed limit several mph lower than the actual one. The police cars have found new places to hide, too: once hidden behind a tree between robin hood and roehampton gates and once behind a tree at roehampton gate. Luckily, all my form seems to have gone and going much above the speed limit wasn't really happening.

The gravel seems to have bedded in, I didn't think it was that bad. True, it hasn't actually improved the surface. It now just hides the bumps in a surface with a lack of colour contrast. Worthwhile job.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    Dude it was fecking freezing when I went out today even with all the layers I wore, still at an avg speed of 11mph what was I expecting :oops:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Well, yers. By the time I got up; imbibed a gallon or so of coffee; watched the MotoGP it was nearing 1pm when I got into the park. :oops: Quite balmy here in dear old london.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    Twas indeed beautiful in the Park today. Also seemed to be loads of cars out: they were queuing at the car parks by Penn Ponds and by Kingston Gate. Towed the eldest daughter on a tag-a-long up the hill from Ham Gate to the main road. Ye Gods that klittle kick at the end hurts. Meanwhile, she says, "This is fun, daddy. I'm not at all. Are you?".
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Well it may have nice in RP but in the Chilterns yesterday it was freezing. My Chalfonts are only now starting to thaw out... :cry:
  • Getting the weather right is a bit tricky at the moment. I took my life in my hands and went out with the local club on their Sunday ride and left home at 8.30 in just shorts, a base layer and a long sleeve top. I rode the 7 miles over to the meet and the first 30 mph descent had me shivering so much I could hardly hold the bars. And I had ice cream head - you know when you've had something so cold the top of your head tingles ....

By 10.00 the sun had come out, and by 12.00 when we were heading back it was baking and I was feeling very smug as most people in longs, thermal jackets, and skull caps were sweating buckets on the litlle climb out of Chipping Sodbury.

It was a lovely 45 mile ride though (plus my 14 getting to the meet and back), mostly through traffic free lanes, a lovely cake stop at the Poppy Tea Rooms and in all seriousness a really nice, friendly bunch of people.

It was a leisure / sportive ride so there were 30 or so riders of different abilities including a couple of families and one of the best things about the whole ride was that there were 3 11 year olds out with us who were belting it out. All 3 of them were capable of averaging 19-20mph over 20 miles and they all had first class group riding and signalling skills which is a tribute to their parents and the club.

Inevitably the group broke up into 3 groups of gentle, steady and quicker riders and despite having 200 miles in my legs from the week's commuting the competitive streak kicked in and I sat in with the front group. Fortunately I think they took pity on me and didn't thrash it which I was enormously grateful for, but although I do like training on my own it made a really enjoyable change and I'm definitely going to join the club and go out maybe once a month with them and definitely work up to doing a few 100s hopefully!!
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Thursday (I had the week off), I went over to the IOW to do the round-the-island route. Took the Viner this time- wanted to get the knack of climbing on it (those on the SCR trip know I hadn't got it then!) and no better place anywhere near me..On the IOW Randonnee in May I used the Jetstream, and got round in just under 8 1/2 hours, leisurely stops and multiple chain drops included (actual rolling time just under six hours). This time, despite nipping into Cowes to buy lunch, stopping for that lunch, another break at Blackgang, taking photos, and a 'detour' in Ventnor of a couple of miles, I was back at the ferry just over seven hours after disembarking. Rolling time I reckon more like five hours. Despite having a bottom gear of 35 inches or so, all those hills weren't too much bother (Blackgang, the biggest one, was fairly straightforward, it's all the little steep ones that hurt). No walking up required. Not exactly speedy I know, but I was quite pleased with myself......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I had an interesting ride home last night after training arround Regents Park with the club. Silly bollox had forgotten to charge his front light hadn't he :twisted: The upshot of this is that the light would only run in flashing mode which was fine whilst still on the streets of London, but a whole different ball game once I hit the dark lanes of Kent :shock: Most of the lanes I use are surrounded by trees, with no street lights or houses, and at 9:30 are pitch black, apart from me piling along lighting up the countryside like a mobile bloody disco. Only seeing the road twice a second or so is interesting at 20mph or so, and it's amazing how the flashing light alters your perception, it's a bloody good job I know the roads so well. It's the one time I was actually looking forward to meeting some cars, if only for some respite from the bloody flashing, god knows what they must have thought.

Note to self, always charge the front light before a training night, Doh.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    FLASH left side of road all is good FLASH middle of road ooops FLASH back on the left FLASH arrgghhhh treeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there done that, the fastest heartrate for the slowest average speed I have had.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • itboffin
    Rich158 wrote:
    I had an interesting ride home last night after training arround Regents Park with the club. Silly bollox had forgotten to charge his front light hadn't he :twisted: The upshot of this is that the light would only run in flashing mode which was fine whilst still on the streets of London, but a whole different ball game once I hit the dark lanes of Kent :shock: Most of the lanes I use are surrounded by trees, with no street lights or houses, and at 9:30 are pitch black, apart from me piling along lighting up the countryside like a mobile bloody disco. Only seeing the road twice a second or so is interesting at 20mph or so, and it's amazing how the flashing light alters your perception, it's a bloody good job I know the roads so well. It's the one time I was actually looking forward to meeting some cars, if only for some respite from the bloody flashing, god knows what they must have thought.

Did you consider clicking as well - you know the full 'bat' effect :P

Use the "force" Luke .....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Did you consider clicking as well - you know the full 'bat' effect :P

Use the "force" Luke .....

I did try some funny noises, every time I almost ended up in a hedge. Riding with a 200 lumen strobe effect is interesting to say the least.

I had considered using the force, but erred on the side of sense :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2