Ride Reports

Comments

• King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    @ Feltup, you really have put a smile on my face this morning :)
    Sounds amazing. I'm doing my best to arrange a week away somewhere romantic with decent rides nearby. Como is on the list.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Thanks for the congrats!

I'll try and get some pics up soon. I have some from inside the Chapel which show all the bikes nicely! Como has some fantastic riding and there are ferries which run in a triangle from Bellagio to Varenna etc and aren't that expensive i.e. 8 Euros return. The ferries give you the ability to ride different parts of the lakes without a huge commute around.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • MatHammond wrote:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/londoncyclesport/sets/72157621992569423/show/

CityCommuter, some pics of the RP time trial at the above link. I'm in black/blue top on blue framed Prorace with red tyres. I look as bad as I felt! :oops:

Fortunately no pics of me riding just in the car park afterwards! #98 in yellow top. Looks like you have a reasonable aero position though.
    Commuting FCN 7: Green Roberts
    Road FCN 2: Look KX Light
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    MatHammond wrote:

CityCommuter, some pics of the RP time trial at the above link. I'm in black/blue top on blue framed Prorace with red tyres. I look as bad as I felt! :oops:

Fortunately no pics of me riding just in the car park afterwards! #98 in yellow top. Looks like you have a reasonable aero position though.

Found the tri bars surprisingly easy to adjust to - did you use a pair? Didn't seem to make me go any faster though unfortunately. Looking forward to a summer series next year, if it gets the green light I'll fork out for some tri bars to use on the good bike (damn those brittle carbon handlebars!) as the old alu frame felt decidedly lardy up the hills...
  • MatHammond wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Found the tri bars surprisingly easy to adjust to - did you use a pair? Didn't seem to make me go any faster though unfortunately. Looking forward to a summer series next year, if it gets the green light I'll fork out for some tri bars to use on the good bike (damn those brittle carbon handlebars!) as the old alu frame felt decidedly lardy up the hills...

Yes I bought some too but I felt that I might have gone just as quick on my commuting bike as I do almost all my miles on that and it is quite a different position. I bought some oval sccs bars like these so as not to put strain on my road bike bars

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/oval/a710-sccs-aero-bar-under-only-clip-on-ec019225
    Commuting FCN 7: Green Roberts
    Road FCN 2: Look KX Light
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    MatHammond wrote:
    as the old alu frame felt decidedly lardy up the hills...

+1. This is where my commuter feels much more sluggish next to my nice bike. Much more zip.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Those bars could be an option citycommuter. Am going to have a go without tri bars on the good bike after work on Thursday though, see how the times compare.
  • Feltup
    - - - - - - - - - - - - The Dolomites - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nothing prepares you for the grandeur of the Dolomites. The mountains are so vertiginous and seem to hang right above you. The roads are no less spectacular which is why so many cyclists and motor bikes head out there.
    3857957991_504d70e8b4_m.jpg
    I had been given the go ahead for another ride because dearly beloved was still hurting from the 9 hour day we had put in climbing one of the Via Ferrates. (If you don't know a Via Ferrate is a protected route in the mountains allowing people to access cliffs etc with out the need for full climbing kit.) I decided to grab the chance and made plans to leave at 6am to avoid the traffic and the heat. In hindsight I too was still hurting from the big day in the mountains and this was going to tell during the ride. The next mistake I made was not having anything more than a slice of bread for breakfast because I was so excited to get out and test myself on the first climb from Campitello to the Sella Pass. This climb was 800m vertical over 14km with no real respite. All the hairpins are numbered and their altitude given which means you know exactly how little you have climbed and how far you have to go! 1hr and 5 mins later and I crested the pass and I knew I was in for a tough day. Only 100km and 2800m more ascent to go!
    3857958909_66478b2975.jpg

On with the jacket and whoosh down the other side. I should have serviced my brakes after the Como ride because they were squeaking a lot. The bonus was it gave people some warning I was coming! A quick climb up to Passo Gardena and now for the bigger descent into Corvara. Lovely road and plenty of practice at late braking from 45mph to make it around the hairpin before stamping on the pedals to get back up to speed again.

All too soon it was time for the third pass and one I would be doing twice today as I was doing a figure of eight loop. The Passo Campitello is beautiful and relatively easy, a real joy to ride. Descending the other side through Arabba and whilst not steep it kept going down, "oh god the next climb to Valparola is going to be big!" It was! 14km of continous climbing, nothing too steep but it keppt on going and going. Atleast the views kept your mind off it a bit.

3858750382_1e286077e3.jpg

200m from the top and I bonked. The lack of breakfast had made itself known. I had to stop and sit on a wall and just ate my sandwich and clif bar. It did give me time to watch some climbers on the large limestone wall just across the valley.
    3858751594_063611b35a.jpg
    The descent of the Valparola is brilliant. I dispatched a couple of cars and left them for dust as I flicked left and right throught the flowing turns. 20 minutes of downhill :D

The second crossing of the Campitello was tougher and I decided to stop for a bite to eat. Roadies were now out in force and the Italian exotica was amazing. So many carbon rims :shock:

The final climb of the Pordoi was a war of attrition, I was knackered and my knee was giving me grief. I just sat there on the 34 x 23 and rode up the hill at a steady 6.5mph. I tried to keep with 3 lads on their hardtails who were racing each other up the pass but my knee wasn't having it. The final summit came in to view and I knew then that I had 16km of downhill to enjoy.

It was awesome!!!! I got mobbed by a group of motorbikers to start with but then settled in behind them and off we went picking off cars, motorhomes and even other motorbikes. I have never overtaken so much on my bike in free flowing traffic. I drove this descent a couple of days later and overtook two vehicles, on my bike I overtook 23!

I got back to base in 6hr 30 ish after climbing 3600m and cycling 76miles. Usually I hate to repeat rides but this is one I could do time and time again.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Chapeau Feltup and congratulations! Great posts.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Feltup: Wow! I'm green.
  • Feltup
    Thanks Mr Benno. It was the first time I had ridden a road bike in the big hills and I can't wait to do it again. I now have my eyes on the Stelvio and Gavia :D

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Right folks - after Feltup's superb reporting...it's back to reality for me :lol:

Haven't been on the bike since last Thursday :roll:

So I went out at 10pm last night and headed for Roath Park Lake, I felt a bit unwell going up Celyn Avenue and got a stitch (should have allowed more than 30 mins for my Thai Curry to go down).

Headed back through Penylan and Llanishen then Canton.

On the hour - 18.4 miles.

Total mileage 21.7 miles, 1hr 11. That's about the best I can do :oops: - hopefully I get into some sort of routine and get more miles in!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Roastie wrote:
    +1 Despite some excellent riding in Wales this weekend I'm very envious. More so as I orginally planned to go on a supported trip to the Dolomites this year but couldn't :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JonGinge wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    +1 Despite some excellent riding in Wales this weekend I'm very envious. More so as I orginally planned to go on a supported trip to the Dolomites this year but couldn't :(

+1. Not that I could get up those legendary climbs. Yet......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    StuAff wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

Yeah, you could. Slow and steady is the way forward. The climbs in wales this weekend probably had stretches steeper than most* of the alpine/dolomite climbs but were a tenth of the length. I find the best way to prepare for long climbs is to do 1-2/wk 2hr rides at tempo intensity, no pootling whatsoever.

* I'm well aware some are long and very steep
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    JonGinge wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

Yeah, you could. Slow and steady is the way forward. The climbs in wales this weekend probably had stretches steeper than most* of the alpine/dolomite climbs but were a tenth of the length. I find the best way to prepare for long climbs is to do 1-2/wk 2hr rides at tempo intensity, no pootling whatsoever.

* I'm well aware some are long and very steep

I'll happily take your word for it- I have done some quite nasty climbs on the Jetstream with its really low gearing- 22 inches at bottom end, a road bike needs different technique. And practice. And not carrying a D-lock in your backpack.
    SCR Stelvio Pass 2010 anyone? :)
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Feltup
    Getting up the passes is quite easy depending on how fast you want to do it. They aren't that steep except on the inside of some of the hair pins where a good attacking style helps. They do go on for ever which means it is almost more of a head game at times.

I prepared by not touching a bike for a month and eating and drinking loads. This is not good preparation for lots of vert!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Just back from two weeks cycle camping to Switzerland from Le Havre. One puncture, two broken spokes and not a single drop of rain. Mile after mile of empty road in un-broken sunshine. Ate so much pate & cheese to refuel. Cheapest campsite cost 4 1/2 euros for the night.
  • Feltup
    Good effort! Sounds like a great trip.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited September 2009
    Glorious ride yesterday. Packed a small rucksack and took the train to Marden in Kent, cycled 35 miles through the Weald and into Sussex down to the coast and my parents house. Didn't like having the bag but what was meant to be a pootle became a very decent ride -
    30 miles in 1:34 (av speed 19.3).

This morning I went for a 10 mile Recovery Ride and ended up doing 10 miles in 30:58. Some steep buggers round these here parts:

3870554110_2357f923dc_o.jpg

Pub lunch for me today I think. The local has got Surrey Hills "Shere Drop" on tap ATM, lovely pint.
  • jonginge
    Stop the press. Did my first weekend ride, Wales trip excluded, since May. Six laps of RP in 1:54:30. A PB by 3 minutes, not sure where that came from :? Last ascent of Sawyers into the wind was hurty.

Saw a very rapid lady on a Cervelo Soloist in Pinarello bibs, the only person I saw going anti approaching my pace. Most seemed to be going clockwise today...

The park wasn't very busy but a lot of cars were doing 18mph :roll:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    JonGinge wrote:
    Stop the press. Did my first weekend ride, Wales trip excluded, since May. Six laps of RP in 1:54:30. A PB by 3 minutes, not sure where that came from :? Last ascent of Sawyers into the wind was hurty.

Saw a very rapid lady on a Cervelo Soloist in Pinarello bibs, the only person I saw going anti approaching my pace. Most seemed to be going clockwise today...

PB naturally came thanks to all the training you did last weekend. Possibly aided by any supplies of the lovely ladies' flapjack and brownies you had left :)
  • jonginge
    StuAff wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

PB naturally came thanks to all the training you did last weekend. Possibly aided by any supplies of the lovely ladies' flapjack and brownies you had left :)
    Mebbe. Didn't feel fresh at any time during the ride. Top-end speed just wasn't there but the average was ok. I may have turned into a diesel :shock:

Unfortunately, the flapjack/brownie supplies were at zero.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mebbe. Didn't feel fresh at any time during the ride. Top-end speed just wasn't there but the average was ok. I may have turned into a diesel :shock:

Unfortunately, the flapjack/brownie supplies were at zero.[/quote]

A big diesel, if you have....
    Yes, same here: unfortunately, Liv didn't drop by with supplies on her way to the ferry ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited August 2009
    Just back from a cheeky last minute ride with Attica phew! now that was a tough one talk about hilly fecking nora!

We managed 64 miles 4200ft ascent across large sections of the Highclere sportive route and round about lots of single track, avg speed 16mph - trust me that's a good pace for here, in fact the pain in my thighs when I got home prove just how much we pushed it.

We battled through the wind and drizzle/rain attacking the "hills" again and again - Chapeau to Rob he motored away from me on the 4 mile ascent from Tangley nice steady slog, although we both wisely chose not to tackle Walbury Hill today, after 50+ miles of relentless climbing and descending the thought of a 1000+ft climb into the wind and rain didn't appeal.

Still what a fun ride with great company, always a pleasure matey looking forward to the next one :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    47 miles today, I've not being out for a while and was worrying my fitness dropped but I don't think it has, the wind was mental but was not a massive amount of headwind, went past the Leeds Fest I wondered what was going on, wish I could have gone in with my bike and all that but with full cycling kit on they'd think I was a clown or something.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12174648
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You're much quicker than me! I was inspired by your route plan so I headed out today myself and went from Otley North up to Dacre and back via Pool. Plenty of climbs on that one!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • freehub
    You'll be as quick as me one day, I used to think as long as I can do 18mph avg I'd be happy and that's on the flat :p, but I've improved quickly and hopefully next year I can train propor and be as quick as the faster riders I come accross, it just takes time and effort and the right training.

Yea I might try that way tomorrow now, seems the only decent day, I'm mainly wanting to get in lots of hills but take it steady to try and spin then try and spin at a good speed up them, it was hillier than I thought today, some pretty steep bits, seemed like lots of gradual slopes, 3-6% that still really take it out of you but, It's really interesting how short a distance this decent terrain is.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm up that way again on Sunday probably - thinking of doing the Evans Sportive 60 mile which goes up to the Pateley Bridge area from Harewood. 100 mile route probably goes up Nidderdale.

Am getting better though. Currently not helped by my ride - a heavy 20 year old Dawes tourer. Trying to vary it - flat route, hilly route, long route, short route, MTB trip etc. I think the more variety I get, the better I should get all round.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • freehub
    Youd be much faster on a propor road bike I bet. How much does this evans ride cost to enter?