Ride Reports

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm going to be in serious pootle mode tomorrow. I'm off Games.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    Well, that went just about as I expected. Roastie, Rich, CJ and myself went to CP for a circuit race. It was my first RR ever so was pretty nervous. The nerves weren't quelled when I saw the course: tight and technical with two hard corners just before the 'hill' in the circuit. I spent the the first 15mins near the back of the group scrabbling to stay in contact up the hill (the previous two corners spread the field at the back). Finally the elastic broke and I was left to my own devices. Struggled on and kept picking off others who'd been shelled by the group. Eventually got lapped by the remainder of the group after I slowed too much to let the 2nd cat group through (again ;)). At that point only Roastie was still in the pack, where he remained to the finish: chapeau.

Was enjoyable, in a masochistic sort of way, but now I'm shattered and my right knee needs some serious TLC. Sorry CJ that I was such a passenger on the right back west.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11439786
    The power data unfortunately isn't as accurate as I'd like. I should have re-zeroed it before I started: It recorded under 100W on the start/finish straights, which wasn't right :(

sword is in the post you know what to do!

the shame :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Was enjoyable, in a masochistic sort of way, but now I'm shattered and my right knee needs some serious TLC. Sorry CJ that I was such a passenger on the right back west.
    (

Not a problem, sir. Get that knee sorted rapido for the Wales trip.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Sounds similar to my Crystal Palace experience - I'm hoping I fair better in my first time trial on Sunday. Will give the racing another go though, unfinished business and all that...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    JonGinge wrote:
    Well, that went just about as I expected. Roastie, Rich, CJ and myself went to CP for a circuit race. It was my first RR ever so was pretty nervous. The nerves weren't quelled when I saw the course: tight and technical with two hard corners just before the 'hill' in the circuit. I spent the the first 15mins near the back of the group scrabbling to stay in contact up the hill (the previous two corners spread the field at the back). Finally the elastic broke and I was left to my own devices. Struggled on and kept picking off others who'd been shelled by the group. Eventually got lapped by the remainder of the group after I slowed too much to let the 2nd cat group through (again ;)). At that point only Roastie was still in the pack, where he remained to the finish: chapeau.

Was enjoyable, in a masochistic sort of way, but now I'm shattered and my right knee needs some serious TLC. Sorry CJ that I was such a passenger on the ride back west.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11439786
    The power data unfortunately isn't as accurate as I'd like. I should have re-zeroed it before I started: It recorded under 100W on the start/finish straights, which wasn't right :(

That was a fun evenings riding. I got dropped right from the start, couldn't get clipped in quick enough, and then spent a few laps trying ot get back to the group, with JG just in sight. Once I had made it the effort didn't seem quite so hard, and when John got dropped, put in a few hard efforts to get up to CJ. We had a few good laps just sat off the back of the group, and eventually I got dropped giving way to the E,1, & 2's. I'm just to bloody nice that's my trouble :wink: I spent the rest of the race trying desperately to get back to the main group, only to see them pull further and further away :cry: Anyway I just managed to avoid getting lapped, and next week it's in the main bunch from the off, and working my arse off to stay there :shock:

It was bloody hard work, but the most fun I've had on a bike in ages (well since last weeks race anyway).

Chapeau to Roastie for finishing in the main group, stirling effort dude :lol::lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Chapeau fellas. If the likes of CJ and JG are getting dropped then I fear I shall never try CP et al. I'll stick to longer distance road riding I think...

...although would CP etc be good training for the alpine jaunt I wonder?
  • Rich158
    Chapeau fellas. If the likes of CJ and JG are getting dropped then I fear I shall never try CP et al. I'll stick to longer distance road riding I think...

It's essentially an hours worth of interval training, without the recovery phase :shock:

It goes something like this

Sprint along main straight - slow corner - sprint - medium corner - sprint down hill - tricky corner - sprint - tight corner - sprint uphill - main straight - sprint and a bit of recovery time if you're lucky

Repat 25 times :shock:

My average heart rate was 85% over the hour topping out at about 95%, at an average speed of 22.1mph. In short it's a bloody good, bloody hard workout :lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp

IP - you should give it ago because it basically comes down to race fitness and being used to the accelerations and cornering/width at a circuit like CP, which you are different from the likes of Hillingdon and Chertsey (the other two circuits I've raced at). I had a think about this overnight and I'm pretty pleased with my effort. It was my first race for 18 months and my first race as a 3rd Cat; it was JG's first race ever!

So, race experience was the single biggest factor, but my food intake during the day was bad, bad, bad i.e. not enough. I had a little pot of cous cous for lunch, a bread roll and then a banana about 30 mins before the race started. I need a lot more than this, so small wonder I only lasted 8 laps. I'm well chuffed to have kept the likes of Rich just within sight for most of the race.If I'd been towards the front of the pack, I'd have lasted longer, but almost certainly not the full distance.

Racing would be no bad thing for the alpine trip because of the intensity you'll be riding at. If the weather's good next Tuesday, I'm racing at CP, work permitting. It's also something a bit different to the training, so I'm planning to do a few cross races during the autumn and winter for this reason. Come on down! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Rich158 wrote:

Sprint along main straight - slow corner - sprint - medium corner - sprint down hill - tricky corner - sprint - tight corner - sprint uphill - main straight - sprint and a bit of recovery time if you're lucky

My average heart rate was 85% over the hour topping out at about 95%, at an average speed of 22.1mph. In short it's a bloody good, bloody hard workout :lol::lol:

:lol:

Hence why I tasted lunch in my mouth on lap 26.

Oh, IP, not wishign to put you off, but on the "tricky corner" Rich refers to above, one rider missed it and went down the verge for some distance. Good bike handling to stay upright, mind!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Does sound like fun in a painful sort of way, can you just turn up?? I might be able to make next tuesday just have to figure out where I would leave my road bike during the day.

I'm doing my first ever TT in Richmond Park this Sunday as well, just hoping I don't embarrass myself too much.
    Commuting FCN 7: Green Roberts
    Road FCN 2: Look KX Light
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Oh, IP, not wishign to put you off, but on the "tricky corner" Rich refers to above, one rider missed it and went down the verge for some distance. Good bike handling to stay upright, mind!
    i.e. not a circuit for the prince. You can see the layout/profile of the circuit from the garmin data I posted above.

Like CJ, I really didn't have enough food during the day (actually had no lunch for a number of reasons) and felt flat even on the pootle ride to the circuit :( Good learning experience, though, and so many things to improve on. Not being caught at the back from the first 'tricky corner' of the race would help. Virtually impossible to move up from there and the concertina effect is horrendous
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Does sound like fun in a painful sort of way, can you just turn up?? I might be able to make next tuesday just have to figure out where I would leave my road bike during the day.

I'm doing my first ever TT in Richmond Park this Sunday as well, just hoping I don't embarrass myself too much.
    Cool. TTs are easier in some ways coz you pace your own effort. Still hurt, though ;)

Yes, you can just turn up to CP and get a day racing license. I used my full racing license for the first time. Got it in january ;) Cheers to CJ for giving me a nudge otherwise it probably would have expired unused.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rich158
    cjcp wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

The verge is more like a steep grassy bank, with trees :shock: Seeing the guiy just disapear over the edge, hanging on for dear life was very funny, I'd love to have seen the look on his face :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Come on IP, it's not that bad, and most people give you room on the tricky corner. The trick is to hold out wide for far longer than you need to, and you know you've clipped the apex when get your head in the bushes and emerge the other side with a mouthful of leaves :shock: :lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    Does sound like fun in a painful sort of way, can you just turn up?? I might be able to make next tuesday just have to figure out where I would leave my road bike during the day.

Yup, just turn up - it's EOL (Enter on the line). Just pay the £10 entry fee and whatever it is for the day licence. Come on... :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    The corner was fun after I got dropped: full gas apexing :D

There was another guy whon binned it on the start/finish straight when he was trying an overtake and ran out of room. Luckily he landed and skidded on the grass. There was a bit of handbags after that :roll:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    cjcp wrote:

Ditto! I am totally knackered!

Great to have a BR crowd out and good efforts all around - Palace is a vicious circuit! Also nice to meet you JG.

My ride was good - my met my target of riding at the front, getting into the breaks and staying in the group for the finish, but I was just a bit short in the tanks to contest the sprint. Long version posted on my blog.

Think I might head out for a quick spin in a bit just to loosen the legs up :).

Some cool pics of CJ, JG and Rich on Londoncyclesport - though none of me :(.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    I went and did the Windsor run that Roger Merriman suggested for the slowcial rides, thanks RM. It worked a dream. I navigated my way to Kingston Gate and then followed the Garmin Edge. Absolutely no problems and it’s a nice run, avoiding major roads and most of the nasty areas. I turned the Autorouting off on my the Edge and that has solved all the problems I was having.

My lower back was killing me though and I had to stop 4 or 5 times during the ride and stretch it out, it would then be ok for another 10-15 miles before seizing up again. Lovely day, 67.5 miles, average speed 15.7 mph

glad it worked, well I'm probably going to have a wander that way my self after seeing my good lady for lunch today, i'll be less than that average i'd think if nothing else as i'm probably going to use it as a day to go from one cafe to another... cake and coffee....
  • Roastie
    JonGinge wrote:

There was another guy whon binned it on the start/finish straight when he was trying an overtake and ran out of room. Luckily he landed and skidded on the grass. There was a bit of handbags after that :roll:
    I was chatting to the antipodean Dynamo who was the other party in the crash - apparently the dude who went down hit that parked motorbike :shock: .
  • Rich158
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Great to have a BR crowd out and good efforts all around - Palace is a vicious circuit! Also nice to meet you JG.

My ride was good - my met my target of riding at the front, getting into the breaks and staying in the group for the finish, but I was just a bit short in the tanks to contest the sprint. Long version posted on my blog.

Check out pics CP5, CP7, CP20, CP54 (no's 2&10), CP62 & CP72

Great pics, and CJ, JG and myself are obviously far more photogenic than Roastie :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • jonginge
    Roastie wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I was chatting to the antipodean Dynamo who was the other party in the crash - apparently the dude who went down hit that parked motorbike :shock: .
    Ouchy. I just saw the start of the crash as they went past. The guy was falling in slow motion. Couldn't see the aftermath due to the bushes but had assumed the grass was clear. :(
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Rich158 wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Check out pics CP5, CP7, CP20, CP54 (no's 2&10), CP62 & CP72

Great pics, and CJ, JG and myself are obviously far more photogenic than Roastie :wink:
    Ahem, ahem. Could be coz we'd been shelled :oops:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Ouchy. I just saw the start of the crash as they went past. The guy was falling in slow motion. Couldn't see the aftermath due to the bushes but had assumed the grass was clear. :(

And, apparently, the motorbike didn't move...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    As I suspected: I'm the only spanner wearing glasses. Fignon wore glasses. But then I'm not Fignon. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    ... just have to figure out where I would leave my road bike during the day.
    Just take it into your office :). Use the excuse that you forgot your lock.
  • jonginge
    edited August 2009
    cjcp wrote:
    As I suspected: I'm the only spanner wearing glasses. Fignon wore glasses. But then I'm not Fignon. :oops:
    I was thinking Zulle :lol:

Edit: uncanny:
    once91.jpg
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rich158
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

And, apparently, the motorbike didn't move...

he slid on his back for a good 20-30ft before hitting the bike fairly gently head first - good job he was wearing a helmet :wink:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Roastie
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I was thinking Zulle :lol:

Edit: uncanny:
    BINGO!
  • cjcp
    Zulle was a handsome bloke, wasn't he. :lol:

(It's Harry Potter on a bike.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Well done guys - the photo's look great. Looks like a great event to watch - wish I lived a bit closer so I could pop down.

@CJ - what's happening in Wales?

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:
    @CJ - what's happening in Wales?

The SCR trip to the Beacons/Black Mountains. I'm not going though, so don't know the specifics. Best have a word with IP.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."