Ride Reports

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    MatHammond wrote:
    Sounds similar to my Crystal Palace experience - I'm hoping I fair better in my first time trial on Sunday. Will give the racing another go though, unfinished business and all that...
    Good luck for the TT. Is it the RP one?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I did my first "full" commute today - rode in AND back from work. This has also given me my first 50 mile in a day ride :D

Bit knackered now though.
    us0.png
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's a lot of miles in one day! Good effort!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • FeynmanC
    Thanks CJCP.

People keep looking at me a bit funny at work, and I don't think it's just the lycra :wink:

But i've lost half a stone since I got my bike a few months back, have dropped back to a 32" waist for the first time in 2 years and am really enjoying the feeling of riding, just for the hell of it.
    us0.png
  • so as someone who suffers in the heat and who's bike only has one bottle holder, what did i do, well i waited until the sun was right up in the sky and after seeing my wife for lunch i went for a 40 something ride to windsor and back.

Quite a flat route only gets lumpy (if that) after windsor and going though home park towards Ascot, before turing towards Thorpe again and then home bound, I can feel i've caught the sun and my legs will likely be mildly stiff tomorrow.

Beautiful weather though some lovely views and sun dappled roads.
  • cjcp
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Thanks CJCP.

People keep looking at me a bit funny at work, and I don't think it's just the lycra :wink:

But i've lost half a stone since I got my bike a few months back, have dropped back to a 32" waist for the first time in 2 years and am really enjoying the feeling of riding, just for the hell of it.

I haven't been a 32" waist for 20 years!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    No commute today, Just a 10% Hill

Many Many Pictures

http://gazzasblogs.blogspot.com/2009/08 ... trong.html
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Nice one Gaz - good effort mate!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Benno68 wrote:
    Nice one Gaz - good effort mate!

cheers mate
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    JonGinge wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    Sounds similar to my Crystal Palace experience - I'm hoping I fair better in my first time trial on Sunday. Will give the racing another go though, unfinished business and all that...
    Good luck for the TT. Is it the RP one?

Just seen this - yes its the RP one, 6:46 start :shock: so I should probably get to bed!
  • cjcp
    Good luck, Mat.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    22 mile ride in Richmond Park (abt 3 laps). Five 200m intervals on the second lap. Yuk. A vain attempt to improve on my performance at CP last week in case I go again on Tuesday.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • FeynmanC
    I did my first 60 miler yesterday with the local gang, between W-s-M and Keynsham, then back again.

Glorious day for a ride and I even enjoyed the hills - not just on the way down either (new PB speed - 36.3mph!)

However, it's shaken down the bike again and I've had to be take her back to the shop to sort out more loose spokes on the front wheel and to properly investigate the tinkling sound on the back wheel.

A couple of the gang had a look at the tinkling as I was struggling back over the Mendips and confirmed that it was a slight bowing of the rear spokes catching in the rear mech, so they can't have been at a high enough tension either.

Good news: the LBS is going to do another full service, for free! :D
    Bad news: I won't be able to pick her up until Thursday morning :(

Stats:
    61.34 miles
    Average 14.3 mph
    Ride time 4h17m
    us0.png
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited August 2009
    Friday afternoon presented a rare opportunity for a bike ride as I found myself child-free, wife-free, work free and for once it had stopped raining

Pre ride checks were satisatory though, as the tesco.com man hadn't brought the groceries yet, the cupboards were bear save for a solitary Cadburys mini roll.

The Cannondale and I headed west from Portrush past the golf club and followed the world famous Antrim Coast road towards Bushmills.

Leaving Bushmills we headed towards Ballycastle throught the village of Ballintoy which is IMHO the best view in Ireland.

ballintoy_rathlin.jpg

I had never rode this route before but knew that the climb out of Ballintoy village was very steep www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16982

Knowing the numbers (179ft ascent in 0.41 miles with a 15%gradient at the top) is different than actually riding the climb. Just before the top I had to stop and stand for a minute or two just to get my breath back. Getting going again resulted in my first ever comedy clipless moment, but I'm proud to say I rode up it instead of walking. My reward was an outstanding view out towards Rathlin Island.

I carried on into Ballycastle (18 miles done) and decided to carry on and attempt the climb to Ballypatrick Forest. A steadier climb it didn't present much problem and 5 miles later I pulled into the carpark and enjoyed a quick snack.

As I turned for home it was very apparent that the climb to Ballypatrick was easy as I had a strong tailwind which was now the inevitable headwind. I stuck on the wind proof and ploughed on.

The next 2 hours into the wind weren't much fun but I got home.

Total distance 53 mile 3066ft of climbing.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16832
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FeynmanC
    Gorgeous view, Wheezy.

I was saying to The Lady that I thought the Tour of Ireland looked much prettier than the TDF. She thinks we should go there and I should ride between stops and she'll drive.

Sounds like a plan to me!
    us0.png
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    Me & Mr P took part in the New Forest Rattler sportive today - 79 miles through beautiful scenery with glorious sunshine (and quite a few animals in the middle of the road!)

Really well organised event, and we're also well pleased with completing it in under 5 hours - vast improvement on the Highclere (although considerably flatter!)
    FCN 10
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    pigeon42 wrote:
    Me & Mr P took part in the New Forest Rattler sportive today - 79 miles through beautiful scenery with glorious sunshine (and quite a few animals in the middle of the road!)

Really well organised event, and we're also well pleased with completing it in under 5 hours - vast improvement on the Highclere (although considerably flatter!)

Damn I wish i'd know that was today I ended up doing a ride from mine around Salisbury plain, I did think about riding to the new forest and back.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    Twas a really good ride - and perfect weather for it too. I've visited the Forest loads of times, but never for cycling, and will definitely be back before too long - lots of really lovely roads, and I can imagine that they're even better when not clogged up in the heart of grockel season!
    FCN 10
  • itboffin
    pigeon42 wrote:
    Twas a really good ride - and perfect weather for it too. I've visited the Forest loads of times, but never for cycling, and will definitely be back before too long - lots of really lovely roads, and I can imagine that they're even better when not clogged up in the heart of grockel season!

Yes it's very nice down there, me and our fellow cyclist have organized several SCR social rides too, in fact I believe another one is planned soon.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    It was a superb day ITB, I already want to go next year!

There were a few close passes alas, but I think that is par for the course....

Hills are not my friend (at present), so this was the perfect route for me :oops:

Would be very interested to join up for an SCR social ride at some point, we're not superslow, but we're also without a doubt not as fast as some of you out there!

Where is the best place to keep an eye out for when these are organised, is there a different thread on here for each one??

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Did slow and painful TT round the park yesterday :( , not sure that my legs are awake that early. Matt posted a pretty respectable time though (not sure what he was hoping for?)
    I think at least I have a few things I can work on before I try another (getting some sleep is top of my list but with the 3 little ones seems almost impossible at the moment).
    Commuting FCN 7: Green Roberts
    Road FCN 2: Look KX Light
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    cjcp wrote:
    22 mile ride in Richmond Park (abt 3 laps). Five 200m intervals on the second lap. Yuk. A vain attempt to improve on my performance at CP last week in case I go again on Tuesday.
    :) I think a standard response to one's first CP outing :).
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited August 2009
    Did slow and painful TT round the park yesterday :( , not sure that my legs are awake that early. Matt posted a pretty respectable time though (not sure what he was hoping for?)
    I think at least I have a few things I can work on before I try another (getting some sleep is top of my list but with the 3 little ones seems almost impossible at the moment).
    I had plans to come out and cheer you guys on. They evaporated when I realised how early I'd have to get up!
  • itboffin
    Daniel B wrote:
    It was a superb day ITB, I already want to go next year!

There were a few close passes alas, but I think that is par for the course....

Hills are not my friend (at present), so this was the perfect route for me :oops:

Would be very interested to join up for an SCR social ride at some point, we're not superslow, but we're also without a doubt not as fast as some of you out there!

Where is the best place to keep an eye out for when these are organised, is there a different thread on here for each one??

Dan

Here the original Weekend Social Rides thread, last page
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=960
  • bigmat
    Did slow and painful TT round the park yesterday :( , not sure that my legs are awake that early. Matt posted a pretty respectable time though (not sure what he was hoping for?)

Was pretty much a "par" time for me, being slightly faster than I had managed in training, but maybe a minute and a half slower than what I had hoped for. Been feeling a bit out of sorts the last week or two and will be giving that route another go at some point to see if I can do any better. Hope they make it a regular series next year as well.

I know what you mean about the lack of sleep - only got 1 little one to worry about myself but still, I think Sunday was the first time I have woken up before he has this year!
  • itboffin
    Dum de dum working from home so I didn't get to do my normal commute I did however pop out for a quick loop through the woods on the now clearly very very broken CX, damn those farmers have covered the single track lanes in mud muck & hay, it was great fun :D

Climbing hills off road on a road bike is the best, I did get a little carried away with the scenery and popped out of the woods on to the main road "the A4" :lol:

CX bikes rule however those new tyres might be thicker but they're much more slippery I have serious doubts they'll hold the road in the wet :(

My bottom bracket is now so wobbly it's causing my rear mech to autoshift :(

Still ace though :D
  • Mills127
    Mills127 Posts: 15
    I move to Sheffield next month, and therefore decided i better try riding some hills for the first real time. Me and a mate did the sus-trans route 70 loop around Macclesfield yesterday starting and ending out of Alderly Edge. Loved it! Ok, plugging up the hills on the granny ring wasn't so great (must improve!), but the descent was ace.....until my chain snapped! Guessing this was my own fault - felt like there was a stiff link and ignored it for 15mins or so, then at the bottom of a hill and as i stood up, it went BANG! A bit of 'by the road' maintenance later and we were off again, minus a couple of links and some finish off the crank. Should i replace the chain now? Commuted on it today and it felt fine but it obviously a little shorter..
    Great to see so many cyclists out and about too - i'm used to riding solo, around fairly flat, quiet roads so it was a bit of an eye opener! :)
  • bigmat
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/londoncycl ... 9423/show/

CityCommuter, some pics of the RP time trial at the above link. I'm in black/blue top on blue framed Prorace with red tyres. I look as bad as I felt! :oops:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    edited August 2009
    Just back from Honeymoon and my gorgeous wife let me take my bike!!!!!!!!

I only had time for two rides but what a great couple of rides. The first was at Lake Como and was a real bonus. I had booked a Hotel on the shores of Como near Bellagio and did a search on line to see what attractions were near by. Talk about luck as I found out the Chapel to the patron saint of cyclists sits in the hills above Bellagio :D

Pilgrimage time. Madonna di Ghisallo here I come.
    3855031843_efab2da472.jpg
    I promised not to be gone too long so mapped out a 30 mile circuit via the MdG. I set off remembering to ride on the right and was instantly blown away with the views and the Italian drivers who do love to overtake on blind bends especially when the road is barely wide enough to fit two cars let alone a delivery van, a car and a bike :shock:

The ride along the lake is stunning but way too soon I was in Bellagio and hitting the climb. I had read in Pez that this part of the climb to the MdG usually takes 45-60 mins so I settled in to a rhythm and started breathing heavily. British hills including the likes of Wrynose and Hardknott do not prepare you for climbing continuously for 50 minutes. If you ever plan on doing a first European Sportive make sure you get out there early and have a practice on some big climbs it is a different ball game.

I did the climb using a compact 34 x 23 gearing which was spot on for me. OK occasionally it hurt!

Up up up and up I went passing an old boy on a beautiful bit of Italian carbon with a cheery "Salve!" Then up through a series of hairpins and past a full on japanese film crew 'must go faster and show no pain' I thought to myself as I waved for the camera. I wonder if the buckets of sweat pooring off me gave me away?

Halleluiah! The chapel appeared in front of me and with it lots of cyclists all making the same pilgrimage. The chapel doesn't have your normal decor because the MdG is full of cycling memorabilia. Hung on the walls are bikes ridden by Eddie Merckx, Fausto Coppi etc Mosers one hour record breaking bike was up there. Yellow jerseys from the TdF, Green Jerseys, you name it there was cycling history everywhere. Outside there is a statue to the fallen cyclist and a newly built cycling museum. I could have stayed much longer but I had promised to get back before my wife felt too neglected :wink:

A 10 minute swoop down the back of the mtn brought me to the next climb all 700m vert of it. Back in to the 34 x23 combo and tap away. Near the top I tried to put in a spurt but my quads starting twinging with the first signs of cramp ( need NUUN). Then it was descent time and boy was it technical. Braking to the max to make it round the hairpins. Twice I messed up and swung wide due to a mix of misjudging the severity of the corner and the slipperyness of the tarmac. So close to meeting the barrier and wire fence, my heartrate was higher than on the climb!

The views across the lake, stolen between the corners were fantastic - Christ!!!!!!!! (oops no blaspheming) another hairpin. I kicked hard and blasted past a car, the first of many overtakes descending Italian passes :D My hands hurt from the pressure of the heavy braking but after 20 mins I once again reached the lake and tapped back to the hotel.

I would recommend this ride to anyone who loves cycling, it is fantastic.

Ride stats: 34miles, 2hrs20 ride time, approx 1800m ascent.

I will tell you about my ride in the Dolomites another time :D

EDIT: Photos! http://www.flickr.com/photos/38395871@N07
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • cjcp
    That's lovely. But, you know the rule: no pix, didn't happen. :P

Oh, and congrats on getting married! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."