Got some helmet cam footage of YOUR commute?

Comments

• magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisKH</i>

But can you run it on Vista? Only appears to be Windows 2K and XP compatible..........

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The ATC2000 can connect directly via a USB connector. I think in this situation it doesn't work with Vista. However, this connection is slow and I always take the card out and put it in a USB2 card reader. The card then works as a drive which Vista could see. You could then play your videos with whatever software you have on your PC.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by magnatom</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChrisKH</i>

Now I'm in a bit of a quandry. 9 out of 10 times I commute with a rucksack with a very convenient top pocket the size of my digital camcorder. And the bullet cams are waterproof and have waterproof connectors for easy disconnection which would be very handy for the train. Decisions, decisions. I presume Arch's camera doesn't have audio. Do I want my expletives aired around the world? [:D]

It does have a microphone (I have the same camera as Arch), although it isn't the best, although you can improve it with a small modification, which I need to find some triangular headed screw drivers for!

I think a microphone is useful, for example when you have a chat with pavement cyclists....[:I][:D]

So far, the only sound I get really is the rattle of my D lock on the handlebars, and my side of any conversation (limited so far to cheery 'helloooos' as I pass someone I know... Or the odd siren.

How do you improve it?[;)]

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

How do you improve it?[;)]

I came across this on the helmet cam central website

<i> ATC2K audio: Either it's waterproof with virtually no audio, or it's not waterproof and has good audio.

If you don't need water protection, remove the microphone cover by removing the two little triangle-headed screws. Underneath it you will find a rubber cover and square o-ring gasket. Carefully remove the sqare rubber cover. (Mine had some lube on it) You will be looking at a small clear plastic piece with 4 holes leading to the mic. The mic is silver, but it's top (what you see looking through the 4 holes in the case, is covered by a little grey windscreen glued to it's top.

1. By just removing the rubber cover (leave the o-ring in there) will give you relatively good audio if the microphone is line up properly with at least one of the 4 clear plastic holes in the case. Mine wasn't lined up.
    2. If that doesn't work well enough you may also need to remove the grey windscreen glued to the top of the mic too. Remove the o-ring before drilling. This, and #3 below requires opening the case by removing the two screws under the back cover and sliding the guts out. Be sure to clean any burrs and debris before putting it back together, and don't forget to clean the inside of the lens too.
    3. Lastly, if the mic is a bit aft of the holes, as mine was, you will likely need to drill a 5th hole in the clear plastic that lines up with the mic hole. Remove the guts, and remove the o-ring gasket before drilling.</i>

As the microphone is underneath I am sure that removing the waterproof seal in the microphone wouldn't be an issue in the rain. I just don't have a triangle headed screwdriver [:(]
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by magnatom</i>
    As the microphone is underneath I am sure that removing the waterproof seal in the microphone wouldn't be an issue in the rain. I just don't have a triangle headed screwdriver [:(]

Drat. Meant to look at home yesterday to see if I have: my late partner tended to accumulate odd tools like that - if I have, you could have a borrow of it...

Making that film was fun - fitting the captions over just the right bits was a bit fiddly, and I was lucky that the music fitted so well over the top...

• magnatom
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

Drat. Meant to look at home yesterday to see if I have: my late partner tended to accumulate odd tools like that - if I have, you could have a borrow of it...

Making that film was fun - fitting the captions over just the right bits was a bit fiddly, and I was lucky that the music fitted so well over the top...

If you happened to have one that would be great. I have been a bit lazy and I haven't seriously looked, although a quick google search drew a blank.

Yes I liked the captions![:D] I have contacted the Warrington campaign group and I will let you know if they get back to me.
  • Archcp
    Had a quick look, but can't find anything. Mind you, the flat is a bit chaotic at the moment. I really thought he'd bought a set of odd drivers in order to get a specific one, but maybe he just found the one he wanted... I'll keep an eye out, in case there's somewhere I forgot to look.

I'm sure I've seen sets of 'security' screwdrivers, with odd shapes like squares etc - in my local 'Boyes' (cheap hardware/kitchen/haberdashery/garden/toiletries type shop). That sort of thing might have a triangle one...

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I looked for a while, but the triangular ones are quite hard to find. In the end FixedWheelNut kindly made me up two using some other ones and a bench grinder in his work workshop.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    Bum bum bum bum. I had a replacement camera a while ago but couldn't find my SD card (put in a "safe" place for later). In the end I ordered a new sandisk extreme 3 2 gig card which came inthe post yesterday. Dead as a dodo. Tried it on two PCs, a mac using two USB card readers and a laptop with a built in card reader as well as my camcorder and they all say it's duff. Bum bum bum bum bum.[}:)]
  • Archcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ghost Donkey</i>

Bum bum bum bum. I had a replacement camera a while ago but couldn't find my SD card (put in a "safe" place for later). In the end I ordered a new sandisk extreme 3 2 gig card which came inthe post yesterday. Dead as a dodo. Tried it on two PCs, a mac using two USB card readers and a laptop with a built in card reader as well as my camcorder and they all say it's duff. Bum bum bum bum bum.[}:)]

Hmmm <sucks teeth> Sounds to me like it's not working....[;)]

Not helping, am I?[:D]

• Ghost Donkey

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ghost Donkey</i>

Hmmm <sucks teeth> Sounds to me like it's not working....[;)]

Not helping, am I?[:D]

Hopefully the people at respectable internet shop will diagnose it as easily as you did [:D]. I'm still all talk and no helmet cam footage.
  • jimstercp
    jimstercp Posts: 236
    Ok, this is my friend Steve's commute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nJO9QLo8xI

I think the title "Hyper Commute" says it all, since he's adjusted the framerate to make it looks like the speeder chase from 'Return Of The Jedi', or that film about the motorcycle racing across Paris. Or something.
  • That goes right past my work jimster (near omans), I cycle down the innocent railway through the tunnel in the mornings.

Might try strapping my crap cam on sometime, pretty poor quality but no way risking my good one.
  • psutton
    psutton Posts: 206
    post moved elsewhere
  • Ghost Donkey
    Right, I'm in business. One very badly positioned camera and a quick go on movie maker at work shows you exaxtly what you get if you do it wrong.

How not to do it
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    So this is where the thread has got to!! Didn't it have a whole section to itself? Anywho... just thought I'd post my Rapha prologue vid.
    Still got some more shorts to edit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZNsTDnAYs
  • stig121
    stig121 Posts: 6
    Hi
    I received my atc2000 yesterday, i have been messing around with it indoors just testing it out and then plugged it in my laptop running vista home and it seems to work ok :D can see the recorded footage, thought i would let peeps know
    stig
  • overmars
    Right, I'm in business. One very badly positioned camera and a quick go on movie maker at work shows you exaxtly what you get if you do it wrong.

How not to do it

:?:
    This video has been removed by the user.
  • overmars
    Well... I went and edited another 'group ride' vid. Bit of an experiment this one. Used a piece of music from Layer Cake.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p80e3Ez-FvQ
  • BentMikey
    Nice video mate!

Btw I can't believe the stick you got from those ignorant muppets on your mad bus driver video.
  • overmars
    BentMikey wrote:
    Nice video mate!

Thanks. :D
    BentMikey wrote:
    Btw I can't believe the stick you got from those ignorant muppets on your mad bus driver video.

If they had a brain, they'd be dangerous. :twisted:
  • hehe cool watching your commutes and rides!

I have a question.. I have a bar mount with ball and socket adpator that I've used with surprising sucess on my motorbike. Camera simply screws onto a base and 1/4" screw attached by another ball and socket end of the adaptor.

Would this create too many vibes on a rigid pushbike?

not that I crash much but rather worried about that too..

does anyone else use this type of set up?RAMB149ZC1.jpg
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • I'm a bit of a lurker here, and haven't posted in years, probably, so hello to everyone! I was inspired by the footage of people's commutes, so I had a go at taping my mobile to the bracket for my headlights and filmed the journey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUW7SvEonEw

I had to double the speed of the film to fit it on YouTube, and wasn't going to pay for the editing software, hence the annoying logo in the middle. But you get the idea! You can't tell from the film , but my ride takes me through the marshes, and on nice early mornings it is a lovely view the people on the motorway probably never see!

Al.
  • overmars
    hehe cool watching your commutes and rides!

I have a question.. I have a bar mount with ball and socket adpator that I've used with surprising sucess on my motorbike. Camera simply screws onto a base and 1/4" screw attached by another ball and socket end of the adaptor.

Would this create too many vibes on a rigid pushbike?

I think it would, but it depends on road surface too. I prefer it on my head because its more 'dynamic' than sticking it on the bike and getting a 'fixed' point of view.

There's also the safety issue. ie. having the cam on your head makes drivers respect you!! :D
  • overmars wrote:
    There's also the safety issue. ie. having the cam on your head makes drivers respect you!! :D

Your right there is a safety issue... some people take exception to being filmed/photographed especially when in stressful situations, if you get into an altercation with someone and they take exception to the camera they my turn physically violent.

Just a thought.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • BentMikey
    Adifiddler, that's a valid point. However, in my experience in the last 6 months or so, it's stopped any further altercation dead in the water. That's the perfect solution for me, I don't want to have verbal or argy-bargy with anyone, so the prevention the camera brings is a huge benefit.
  • I have just ordered an ATC 2000 to try out on something other than cycling but i am looking forward to butting it on the bike to record some of my rides.

I was going to wait for the release of the Twenty20 VholdR but didn't want to shell out £300 on one on the chance that it might not actually work for my intended use.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • magnatom wrote:
    Yeah I'm fine just a few cuts and bruises. I did post it previously but here it is again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F47UnXydDaY

My knee is a little sore every time I watch it![B)][:)]

What's with that tw4t malkyerf giving you grief all the time?!!

There's an art to falling off, it's something I've got much better at over the years!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just been playing with my mobile on my bars. Looking at the footage I know the angle of dangle is a little low. First video so not gonna be perfect.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hnf-ADp0j88
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • This is quite possibly the gayest topinc on the internet...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    This is quite possibly the gayest topinc on the internet...

And of course, from you, that would be an expert opinion... :wink: