2009 Metric Century Challenge

12346»

Comments

• Sorry for the delay. I woke up on sunday to a better day than expected and with the help of a few buddies I just got the 101 km I needed. Its not been easy as we have had huge flooding last week and bad frost on sat so I was sure I would miss out.
    Thanks again Velo
    Hope to get Dec finished and done this weekend :lol:
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • renard
    renard Posts: 51
    Yippe I've done it!!!

Thanks for the challenge Velocitizen. It has really spurred to go out on the bike and do some long rides. About 3/4 of my total mileage this year has been on the challenge.

Highlights - seeing lots of the countryside around Edinburgh.
    Lowlights - freezing cold ride in Feb - the canals were frozen. Today's was pretty cold and wet as well. no way would I have done those two but for the Cahllenge.

Once again, many thanks.
  • stubbo
    stubbo Posts: 43
    well it seems as i've just joined the hall of fame! Congrats to all that have finished its been fun.

Velo, it has to be said.... "top bloke" in my book... i can safely say, post LEL, i'd have not put as much effort in without the challenge.

thanks.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    stubbo wrote:
    i've just joined the hall of fame!

A two pointer ! :o

Way to go dude !

snakehips.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • stubbo wrote:
    well it seems as i've just joined the hall of fame! Congrats to all that have finished its been fun.

Velo, it has to be said.... "top bloke" in my book... i can safely say, post LEL, i'd have not put as much effort in without the challenge.

thanks.

Cheers Stubbo, really all I do is post it up and keep count!
    I have always found it a great motivator for keeping riding through winter.
    Congratulations to you and all the finishers, well done renard and snakehips.
    I'm hoping for a clear day next Saturday to get my last ride in.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • stubbo
    snakehips wrote:
    stubbo wrote:
    i've just joined the hall of fame!

A two pointer ! :o

Way to go dude !

snakehips.jpg

i was inspired by toontra's 3 pointer last month! he sets a high standard.

fingers crossed for the weather....
  • daibhi
    daibhi Posts: 21
    Thanks again, Velocitizen. Wouldn't have done a 300 in May otherwise. It's my only motivation for going out at this time of the year too.

Congrats to the other finishers and the best of luck to those yet to finish. I hope you have the weather!
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    That's me done - yay.

December by far the hardest after being off the bike for 3 weeks with weather inertia and illness. At least the sun was shining nicely.

Thanks Velocitizen - that was a real motivator and certainly had me pushing myself beyond what natural laziness would have had me doing some months.

Can't wait to try to get more points in next year

good luck everyone
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Must remember to sign up to the 2010 list :wink:
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    Must remember to sign up to the 2010 list :wink:

That's me done for 2009, great day out today, sunny, dry, blue sky.
    Good luck to all those still to get a December point and well done to all those who are finished, (I expect Stubbo and Toontra to be out riding on New Years eve for their final points.)
    Will post up the 2010 challenge sometime soon.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Yeah - that's my December ride done so that's me completed it :P 8)

Of course my sincerest thanks goes to velocitizen for keeping on top of all the this and giving those of us that have been a bit late in updating our rides the necessary nudge.

Roll on next year :lol:
  • garmin
    garmin Posts: 31
    Thats me done as well,its been a good year.I even managed a couple of doubles.
    Will sign up again for next years.good luck to every body whos still to get theres in.
    Litespeed Vela
    Dawes giro 400 [winter bike]
    Diamondback S3 full sus

no pain no gain.
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    This sort of thing is audax territory. The've been doing this for decades and keep formal records of all your rides - 100K, 160K, 200K, 300K and upwards.

Why not try them? If not, why not?

- JimWin

AUK 5455
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    jimwin wrote:
    This sort of thing is audax territory. The've been doing this for decades and keep formal records of all your rides - 100K, 160K, 200K, 300K and upwards.

Why not try them? If not, why not?

What makes you think we don't?

a serious case of small cogs
  • :D That me Done and Dusted. We had a cold but beautiful day here yest and I made the best of it.Was a bit hairy at times as alot of patches where it never defrosted.
    Never thought of doing the extre 3 km to round it off.
    Velo Thanks again for all the work. Its been a great motivation especially as after TOI I was missing something
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • stubbo
    Guy's i reckon, unless there's a dramatic change in the weather, today was my last effort. The last couple of days have been absolutely fantastic here in the south west, with clear sky's and sunshine, just damn cold. This said none as cold as today... i read -8 in the car this morning... what was i thinking!

Anyway just wanted to say that this is my first year with the challenge which i have enjoyed tremendously..... and is something I'll most definitely be taking up next year. (what in starts again in two weeks time!)

So a big thanks are in order to Velo for the accounting that has been top notch.. and to toontra for pushing that extra "k"! (good luck with the 10000k)

Cheers Everyone and Merry Christmas and all that.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Here's looking forward to an injury free 2010
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 2010 Challenge now open for entries.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12669717

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2010

Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Indeed Happy Christmas to all.

I've just posted what is quite likely to be my last 100km of the year.
    So that's 35 points up from 23 last year.
    4th out of 6 last year, possibly 7th out of ? this year.

09 started well with 4 in Jan, partly due to balmy Seville, and partly due to mad mates back in Surrey. Most of Jan in Seville again should give me a good start again.
    I guess 40 has to be target, but if I do try to race more, it will make it harder to achieve.

Thanks again Velo.
  • stubbo wrote:
    usual monthly gratitude to Velo for the accounting, sorry to see a couple of guy's drop out at this late stage, although after suffering the chill from last night i'm tempted myself!

good luck to the rest for December.......

One other thing, lloyd bower, shame on you for mentioning sunshine and warmth this time of the year :x

Well the December weather's been great but an annoying knee injury has restricted my cycling this month. Thankfully managed that early ride, otherwise I would have slipped up at the final hurdle. No cycling, but been getting out sea kayaking instead, and hoping the knee will sort itself for a Jan ride and a start to the '10 challenge.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    edited December 2009
    Happy Christmas everyone - just back from finishing the challenge for this year - just made it. Today really was hard work - several occasions when I was close to packing in but it all feels worth it now, which, I suppose, is the point of the challenge.

Bring on some sun :D
  • Heaney
    Heaney Posts: 85
    Well, that's it. Completed at my third attempt. Better go register for 2010.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I'm done, finally!

Tried to finish on a bang but the double would have killed me :(

Again many thanks Velo, just going to sign up for 2010 now.

Congrats to all those who participated, finishers or not, some fantastic efforts, marvellous results and a whole load of inspiration and support, cheers guys. :wink:
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    OK so it's 13:29 on the 31st December , time to acknowledge that I am not going to get another ride in this year !

Thanks to Velo for starting this thread and doing the summaries , and to everybody else for their contribution to my motivation.

Now , let's get ready for 2010. Where are my tyre levers ?

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • End of the year and the results of the 2009 Metric Century challenge.
    54 starters, 18 finishers, 19 if Cygnet has a December ride to add.

Batch 78 15
    Cappilinconnemara 41
    Cygnet 19
    Daibhi 47
    Doyler78 19
    Garmin 33
    Heaney 34
    Leedsmjh 15
    Lloyd bower 59
    Mad one 50
    Pdstsp 32
    Pneumatic 16
    Redgreenbaron 35
    Renard 13
    Snakehips 32
    Stubbo 85
    T.C. 18
    Toontra 86
    Velocitizen 16

Congratulations to all those that completed the challenge, it’s really nice to read back your comments, ‘motivator’ and ‘motivation’ crop up a lot, and that’s what the challenge is about to me.
    Big cheers for Toontra and Stubbo, taking December on, inspirational riding.
    Congratulations also to Lloyd bower (although he does have the benefit of a kinder climate!)
    It’s really ‘Well done’ everyone from me.
    Happy New Year and good luck in 2010.

Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Thanks for all the work Velo. I wouldn't have done half the rides in November and December if it wasn't for this thread, the lure of 10k and Stubbo breathing down my neck!

Well done to all who joined in and great cycling in 2010.

a serious case of small cogs
  • stubbo
    cheers guys its been fun, so much so i reckon i'll have to give it a go next year!

well done everyone who stayed the distance, these cold months certainly require a push to get you out and this challenge certainly provides that.

thanks all and happy new year and all that!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Thanks again Velo - two years completed, 24 in 2008 and 32 in 2009 but down from 4th to 10th - getting competitive!!! Can't even begin to compete with some of the numbers on here - they are very very impressive, but great to have the motivation to keep on riding particulalry in the dark months.

Well done everyone who finished - its a different challenge to each of us, governed by time, fitness etc.

And a very happy new year to everybody and good luck for 2010

Aiming for 40 points this year but that is going to be a very hard target for me.

Paul
  • Mad One
    Mad One Posts: 82
    As everyone has said above - Thanks Velo! Very encouraging & motivational tool this has been during the past 12 months.

My goals shifted somewhat during the year, but still managed to get 'a metric' in during each month - Cheers

Actual closing stats -
    Total Points 52
    Total km 5883.98
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    Nooo. I failed in December.
    Thanks to Velo for keeping track throughout.