2009 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Updated mine. As someone else the plan is just to find the best day and do it. I probably won't be off the 10 day weather forecast site :lol: Don't mind a commute in the rain but 3 1/2 to 4 hours doesn't appeal much :shock:
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    Sorry, I forgot to update mine last week. I'm still in - just.
    Thanks for keeping score.
    Unfortunately I missed September due to work and injury so I am out. Thanks for running this Velocitizen it really helped my early season motivation and training for the Fred.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Thanks for the update Velo. Just back from a mini tour of the Northland at the top of NZ including 5 tons so that's October sorted. Approaching summer here so motivation to finish the challenge shouldn't be a problem :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Feck i'm injured after 6424 miles :cry:

It happened during last months metric sportive and even with RICE and physio help it's getting worse, i've torn the lateral ligament on my right knee, I can't believe i'm outta the running FFS I was breezing this challenge and topping the SCR stats league.

damn my ageing body :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stubbo
    stubbo Posts: 43
    itboffin wrote:
    Feck i'm injured after 6424 miles :cry:

damn my ageing body :lol:

My giddy aunt, the thread could turn in an agony column.....

Your not on your own, ruptured calf muscle 4wks ago! Several trips to the physio and not feeling to bad after getting back on the normal commute last week.

So planning to get out today... fingers crossed?!

damn, damn this ageing body!
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    stubbo wrote:

Your not on your own, ruptured calf muscle 4wks ago! Several trips to the physio and not feeling to bad after getting back on the normal commute last week.

So planning to get out today... fingers crossed?!

damn, damn this ageing body!

Ageing bodies ? You young boys !!!!!

But seriously though , well done Stubbo for getting out on the 27th.
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • stubbo
    snakehips wrote:
    stubbo wrote:

But seriously though , well done Stubbo for getting out on the 27th.

cheers snakehips, deliberate error on my part, it was Monday i managed to get out (26th). All corrected now.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Definitely a great motivator. Back from just having done my 100k ride for this month. Extended my commute home so was carrying a rather well packed rucksack so not best prepared for such an endeavour however it was looking at the 5 day forecast that had me out this evening and what a beautiful evening it was. As I wasn't prepared to do this today I had to make do with things along the route. Took 3 bottles of powerade and 3 mars bars to get me through but that all worked really well :lol:

All in all a good day - 14 miles commute into work and then the 63 mile ride home fully laden. Got to put my lights to a true test and both lasted the course so really happy with that and I best of all I didn't feel at all worried about just ploughing on at whatever speed I felt like though I was taking it mostly easy given my rather over laden state.

On the not so positive side my non fitted bike is still killing me even with all the little adjustments I have been making all month (hence why I hadn't done my 100k ride at the start of the month when the weather was so great) though it is significantly better than it was at the start of the month but still my ar$e feels like its done 12 rounds with Mike Tyson and my shoulders are aching. I don't think my new saddle is the right saddle for me - charge knife - I now know why they gave it that name :twisted:
  • Halloween update on the challenge.
    54 starters, 21 still in including 2 who have not posted an October ride yet.Sorry to lose a couple this month especially those injured, well done to Doyler for an heroic commute home, and Stubbo for getting out late on in the month. I even managed a cheeky extra point on Thursday, well it was a nice day!

Batch 78 13
    Brewitz 13
    Cappilinconnemara 39
    Cygnet 18
    Daibhi 42
    Doyler78 17
    Garmin 29
    Heaney 32
    Leedsmjh 13
    Lloyd bower 49
    Mad one 43
    Pdstsp 30
    Pneumatic 14
    Redddragon 15
    Redgreenbaron 30
    Renard 11
    Snakehips 30
    Stubbo 73
    T.C. 15
    Toontra 70
    Velocitizen 13

After a lovely mild October it should be easy to get those last 2 rides in, shouldn’t it?

I’ll be doing ‘Nottingham-http://www.dovedaledash.co.uk/-Nottingham’ tomorrow.
    Anyone that fancies a ride around the ‘Charnwood in the spring’ Audax route from Nottingham, join me on Saturday December 12th.
    Scenic, great café to stop at, not that hilly.

I’ll post more details, routesheet, a bikely.com link and arrange a meeting point if anyone is interested?

Good luck for November.

Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • stubbo
    Halloween update on the challenge.
    well it was a nice day!

Good luck for November.

Velocitizen

Cheers Velo, i've you to thank for driving me out last week, well and a bit to do with the weather of course. Oh and how that changed this weekend!

Just two months to go....... and then we can start all over again!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Monthly thank you to Velo - still can't get over some of the numbers on there!! Two dark and wet/cold months to go. Good luck to everyone.

Paul
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Really looking forward to Jan 2010 for next years challenge.

Quick question though

I plan to commute the full distance to work on a Friday*, the ride would be 30 mile out, work a 4 hr shift (Fri is 1/2 day), then ride the 30miles home, with a couple of miles tagged on to make the 100k

Would this qualify?

*This may not be every Friday
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Velo , i've updated
  • T.C. wrote:
    Velo , i've updated
    Good luck for November.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Sheeeet, last weekend the leaf litter was ice like, pulled up short at 50 odd km, this weekend work and prior engagement, weather really wants to improve for next w/e, fingers crossed for all of us! :?
  • Really looking forward to Jan 2010 for next years challenge.

Quick question though

I plan to commute the full distance to work on a Friday*, the ride would be 30 mile out, work a 4 hr shift (Fri is 1/2 day), then ride the 30miles home, with a couple of miles tagged on to make the 100k

Would this qualify?

*This may not be every Friday

Don't see why not, same as a cafe stop mid ride but more exhausting
  • Just noticed - toontra and stubbo both on 75. Stubbo pulled ahead friday, and toontra caught up yesterday! [unless stubbo has a weekend ride to post].
    This could go right to the wire!
    If there's a draw, I guess Toontra will have it on distance.

Also, some chance of 20 completing this year. Presumably a record.

I think I'm aiming for 7th in a battle with Snakehips, Heaney, Garmin and my old friend pdstp.
  • snakehips
    Ah motivation , that's what it's all about , I remember now.
    Without the 'need' to do a 100 km ride in November I don't think I would have gone out today, or done more than about ten miles in this wind.
    Only the motivation of this thread made me flog around for nearly five hours in a howling gale !

Forecast for the rest of the month not looking too tasty.

Bring on December !

snakehips.jpg

Snakehips Bikes
  • stubbo
    snakehips wrote:
    Ah motivation , that's what it's all about , I remember now.
    Without the 'need' to do a 100 km ride in November I don't think I would have gone out today, or done more than about ten miles in this wind.
    Only the motivation of this thread made me flog around for nearly five hours in a howling gale !

Forecast for the rest of the month not looking too tasty.

Bring on December !

snakehips.jpg

Snakehips Bikes

good on ya Snakehips! bring it on indeed.
  • No more 100k rides this year. I got the flu a couple of weeks ago and am not fit enough to get through a ride in November.
    Without the challenge I would never have done any longer rides in Jan-Feb, I'll be back next year.
    Condor Fratello 06, Ultegra
  • End of November update on the challenge.
    54 starters, 19 still in, waiting for Cappilinconnemara and Redddragon to post!

Batch 78 14
    Cappilinconnemara 39
    Cygnet 19
    Daibhi 44
    Doyler78 18
    Garmin 31
    Heaney 33
    Itboffin 16
    Leedsmjh 14
    Lloyd bower 58
    Mad one 47
    Pdstsp 31
    Pneumatic 15
    Redddragon 15
    Redgreenbaron 33
    Renard 12
    Snakehips 31
    Stubbo 78
    T.C. 17
    Toontra 77
    Velocitizen 15

Good luck everyone still in, it’s the final push for the year.
    Sorry to lose you Brewitz, see you next year, I’ll start a 2010 thread mid-December.
    Prize-giving will be on 31st December.
    Velocitizen
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Thanks Velo - only just sneaked a ride in this month - thanks to self-emloyment managed to get out today and counted the yards one by one!

Good luck to everyone still in.

Paul
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I failed with the Flu and then the bad weather on Sunday. First month in about 18months that I never did a ride over 100km too.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stubbo
    usual monthly gratitude to Velo for the accounting, sorry to see a couple of guy's drop out at this late stage, although after suffering the chill from last night i'm tempted myself!

good luck to the rest for December.......

One other thing, lloyd bower, shame on you for mentioning sunshine and warmth this time of the year :x
  • snakehips
    Commiserations to those who had to drop out with flu , congrats to pdstsp for getting in under the wire !

snakehips.jpg

1Tccropthumb.jpg
    Snakehips Bikes
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Thanks Velo & well done everyone. Took advantage of today's very rare dry and sunny weather to get a banker in. All downhill from here!

a serious case of small cogs
  • toontra wrote:
    Thanks Velo & well done everyone. Took advantage of today's very rare dry and sunny weather to get a banker in. All downhill from here!
    Nice one Toontra, first finisher! Sorry to lose you redddraggon.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    pdstsp wrote:
    Thanks Velo - only just sneaked a ride in this month - thanks to self-emloyment managed to get out today and counted the yards one by one!

Good luck to everyone still in.

Paul

Agreed about counting the yards. I did mine on Friday 27th in a chilled West wind and had to stop twice to make business calls (no, not a euphemism!). It was only grim determination that kept me going and there was no celebration at the 100km mark, just relief.

Just December to go now. I'll need my lights!!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• snakehips
    Like Toontra I intended to go out on the 1st of Dec , but a couple of missing spokes in the rear wheel put paid to that notion , so I had to wait until today.
    The first half was Spring-like , then it started to look ominous , then at about 50 miles the rains came . Nevertheless job done.

Now for a warmer bath than the one I have just had and a check to see how my rear wheel fared.

snakehips.jpg