Etape 2009

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hi everyone - how's training going? how are you feeling about July 20th? Has anyone seen the reconnaissance DVD? I enjoyed watching it but do you think he has shares in the nuggat factory or what?

I'm full of cold so haven't been training for a few days but otherwise, it's going very well - losing weight steadily and increasing the miles and the hills. I occasionally take a look at the Ventoux profile on climbbybike.com and feel a pleasurable mix of fear and excitement. I can't wait!!

:lol:
  • le_grimpeur
    le_grimpeur Posts: 135
    Obviously am not doing the Etape this year, though I secretly wish that it yet might happen, but I've found another objective - La Limousine on 6th June, 167km, 2300m ascension. The training will be the same. I have created some routes on bikely that give the same distance and the ascension as the Etape. The weather of course has prevented riding outdoors, but I have discovered that I quite like the indoor turbo sessions, and manage two one hour session a week. Looking forward to the end of March, as that is when outdoor riding resumes, and until I get going on those necessary 3 hour rides, I could not say how my 'proper' training is going (er, are my comments welcome even if I don't technically qualify (probably should have put that bit first)) I reckon that I'm ahead of myself when compared to last year - all thanks to the turbo!
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Since the Etape last year, I've mostly been eating and drinking. Only recently got a place, so back in training (sort of).

Did a sportive last week and have another on Sunday. Still feel I'm at least a couple of months behind last year, but really looking forward to it.
    exercise.png
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Last weekend was my first outing on the bike for 3 months. I keep telling myself there's plenty of time, but I know that I was soo much further ahead this time last year, and still suffered all the way around the Marmotte in July. Thing is, I've ridden Ventoux before in July, so I know how hard it is in the heat. I can't even think of how it's going to feel with 90 miles already in my legs :cry:
  • dmb4
    dmb4 Posts: 30
    Preperation is going slowly went up snake pass and Holmemoss on Saturday. Holmemoss felt awful, less than 2 miles but about as steep as Ventoux I cannot imagine the pain of 12+ miles of that
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Well I too have been struggling but last Saturday I completed my first 200k Audax and although I have been doing at least one ride of >100k per week it was certainly a step up in terms of effort and endurance.

Over 2000 m of climbing but nowhere near the challenge of July 20th but it was good to dip my toe again into an event requiring a longer time being spent in the saddle.

My rule of thumb has always been if you can complete a hilly UK 200K audax in around 8 hours (total time including breaks) then you can survive the etape ahead of the broom wagon. Well I took over 9 hours BUT I wanted to stop for food etc and made the most of 3 good village hall feed stations.

A couple more 200K audaxes booked before I start Sportives in late April and at last I feel that yes just maybe I will make it to the top of Ventoux in time.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    All important start numbers available here:

http://io.addx-tech.com/edmpublic/parti ... epreuve=38

Mine isn't listed yet - I remember this happening last year. It was a couple of weeks before I got a response other than "Aucun participant ne correspond à vos critères de recherche".

Anyway, if your number is up let us know what it is!
  • popette
    oooooo start numbers!! I haven't got mine yet. Last year I remember filling out a form for cyclomundo about my training and anticipated finish time - which I think was put forward to the organisers for purposes of numbering - I haven't received that this time around, has anyone else?

How soon to the event do they start publishing cut off times? I remember that brought lots of frantic calculating and spread sheet creating last year.
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    :shock: This talk is making me nervous! :)

But I'm off to Majorca on Saturday to ride up some nice hills... 8)

No number for me yet either.
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I asked Cyclemundo a couple of weeks ago if I should be expecting anything soon and they said end of May. They send off the forms to ASO and you should hear from them directly
  • popette
    lochindaal wrote:
    I asked Cyclemundo a couple of weeks ago if I should be expecting anything soon and they said end of May. They send off the forms to ASO and you should hear from them directly

HIya
    did you fill out a form for them about your expected finish time and level of training/mileage etc? I had to do that last year but haven't been asked this time around.
    cheers
    Karen
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Is it just me or did jhop scare the s**t out of anyone else!

I am a novice, started out in Sep. Got a good coach to do up a schedule for me. Have followed it diligently, over 4,000km clocked up so far.
    Long runs are currently in the 50-70 mile range on Sat. and have started doing hill reps for 90 minutes on a Sunday. I was quite happy with my progress until I read jhop.

Someone please tell me that I dont have to be able to do a hilly 200k Audax in 8 hrs (including stops) to avoid the broom wagon!
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Road Red you don't need to be able to do that now but I'm sure by July you will be able to if you are following a good programme. Have you got any Audaxes and or sportives in your plan?

My first Etape was 2005 and probably didn't start trianing properly until the January so you are well ahead of where I was so you'll be fine.

Wu Kong
  • jhop
    Thanks Wu Kong I agree it is the level you are at in June that matters not that you are at peak performance in early March. Having read many intimidating posts prior to my first etape in 2003 I only wish to encourage and not worry or intimidate others. It is an event that is well within most of us if we prepare ourselves properly and of course now is when it is all beginning to kick in. Have fun and enjoy every minute of the build up.

With the sort of training typically done to prepare for the etape 3 or 4 months can be enough to get most riders ready for the etape.

This will be my 6th one and each year I go down with three or four other riders, we never reach silver standard.

Those of us who are comfortable on the benchmark 200k Audax in 8 hrs finish well within cut-off, sometimes there can be a rider with us who cannot manage this and they are the ones who usually fail.

The weather on the day is another factor that can be decisive last year cool, the previous two years very hot.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I finished just ahead of the broom wagon last year. (wasn't too well on the day, so maybe could have been 15-30 mins better)

Here's the sort of rides/times I was doing through the year. Way behind this year!!

Jan - Ashdown Forest 108km - 1565m - 5:18
    Feb - SWRC Surrey 103km - 1260m - 4:26
    Mar - Cheshire Cat 156km - 1475m - 6:39
    Apr - White Horse 146km - 1395m - 5:57
    May - Forest of Dean 138km - 2445m - 6:57
    May - Fred Whitton 177km - 3260m - 10:19
    May - Hamp Hilly 100 163km - 1940m - 6:51
    May - Gran Fondo 145km - 2230m - 7:12
    May - Alps - Colombiere Loop 149km - 3000m - 8:06
    Jun - Dragon Ride 176km - 2525m - 7:30
    Jul - Etape 168km - 3720m - 9:50
    exercise.png
  • le_grimpeur
    le_grimpeur Posts: 135
    Road Red wrote:
    Is it just me or did jhop scare the s**t out of anyone else!

Someone please tell me that I dont have to be able to do a hilly 200k Audax in 8 hrs (including stops) to avoid the broom wagon!

You don't have to, but if you can, it would be good preparation. In the advice given out by ASO last year, they recommend a minimum of 3 x 150k rides. It is not only about the distance, but getting used to riding for up to 8 hours, and as a result, staying fuelled - working out what foods/energy bars and gels and drinks will keep you going.

If you think that you are likely to be in the saddle for 8 hours in July, you should have a schedule something like 1 x 8 hour ride in June, 2 x 6 hour rides in May, 2 x 4 or 5 hour rides in April, 2 x 3 or 4 hour rides in March, and here is the big however, due to injuries last year, I managed one 6 hour ride, and four 4 hour rides. I did finish, but really really suffered.

in terms of your training, I'd say you were ahead of schedule, and in two months time you'll probably change your opinion of a 200k Audax!
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • Road Red
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Times are helpful Stone. I did the Ashdown this year in 4.40. I have entered Essex Spring (150k), King of South Downs (110m) and Dragonride, so I will be able to compare times to give me some idea of progress.
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    HIya
    did you fill out a form for them about your expected finish time and level of training/mileage etc? I had to do that last year but haven't been asked this time around.
    cheers
    Karen

Hi Karen

No I just had to fill out the medical form
  • Rob Penn
    Rob Penn Posts: 4
    Frost on the Brecon Beacons at 7am, but it's warming up on the climbs this afternoon - perfect spring riding weather. I'm riding the Etape route in May, to preview it for a newspaper. I'm way behind my training schedule. At least there are no excuses now.

http://www.uketapetraining.co.uk
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    err yes right, so this training business....as per my post on the Flanders run out this weekend Ive done the grand total of 365km since knee surgery last May. Im starting now but no more than one ride a week to protect the pins....so dont worry about being shxt on the day...I absolutely guarantee there'll be someone behind you (yes thats me...)
  • Just joined the forum and lots of Etappers in here, so thought I'd say hi. It's my first time in the Etape although I've been on (and off) the bike for a long time and been up Ventoux in the past. I'm one of those who'll be happy to finish in front of the broom wagon.

Training going OK, comfortably doing lumpy 50 mile rides on consecutive days now and lost lots of weight, already gone from 38" waist to 34", so even if I don't finish it'll all have been worthwhile :D. Planning lots of riding over Easter and doing the Northern Rock Cyclone in June since it's close to home and looks pretty tough, especially with the wind and rain you can count on in this part of the world.

Has anyone found their number using the link in the forum? Not me .. yet. Brought it all home though.
  • popette
    hi VilanovaRider - just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven't found my number yet - looks like mostly French names in there at the moment.
  • Peak Man
    Peak Man Posts: 1
    I have read all of the posts relating to Etape training and can only hope that I manage the kind of miles most people seem to be putting in. Having done the Etape in 2007 (200km and 5,000m of ascent) I have to say I will be saving 100 mile plus rides for the final run in to the event and then only to confirm what a horrible feeling it is to be on a bike for more than six hours. In my opinion, relentlessly grinding out anything more than four hours in training is pointless and unnecessary. It is absolutely about the quality of the time spent in the saddle and not the quantity of miles. If you can haul yourself up a 10 per cent climb after 50 miles, you'll be able to do it after 80. I do, however, strongly recommend getting in some longish climbs as part of your training. I am lucky enough to have the Snake Pass in the Peak District on my 32 mile commute home (5 miles averaging 7 per cent) and that helped me a lot in knowing how hard to push it in the Pyrenees last time. Happy training!
  • popette wrote:
    hi VilanovaRider - just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven't found my number yet - looks like mostly French names in there at the moment.

Thanks Popette, bit quiet in here now isn't it? Impressed with the miles some of you guys are getting in. I'm not up for these 100 mile sportives yet, don't want to burn out, you know ...

Still, had a good Easter with 500km on the clock and a 120k ride yesterday, the high point of my year. Mind you, it's a bit of a drag doing these rides on my own, I was all for going back for the first hour or so. Legs are feeling good, just a few niggles with neck and shoulders after 5 hours but that's to be expected I guess.

Still no sign of that race number ...
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Have taken a sabbatical from mountaineering this year to have a bash at a couple of sportives - including this one.

have dropped a stone, spent wet feb eves sitting on a turbo and have even come to conclusion that my rockhopper (which is great for avoiding long walk ins to remote munros) probably wont be an ideal choice (the gearing wd be good for ventoux though!)

It seemed like a good idea at the time.....anyone fancy meeting up for some weekend training rides (based Ruthin - North wales) do get in touch.
  • jhop
    At last some action on numbers!

I am not in BUT some of my fellow etappers are.

Keep on checking.
  • popette
    yehhhhh - definitely some more English sounding names appearing. No Popplewells as yet - I'm checking daily. Exciting!!
  • Road Red
    Great news.

Where are you guys logging into to see the list?
  • popette
    hi Road Red,
    Go on here http://www.letapedutour.com/ - view in french mode
    click inscriptions and then la liste des inscrits - put your surname in and it tells you your number (if you've got one)
  • trevorb
    trevorb Posts: 49
    I have got a late entry only place for the Etape through SPORTS TOURS INTERNATIONAL, who may still have some places available, and have booked a hotel room in Orange. I am arriving Sun 20 Jul after registration and departing Tue 21 Jul. The room has 2 single beds so if anyone fancies sharing a room and reducing costs please let me know. The hotel is the Best Western Hotel Arene Orange and the cost of the room would be 80GBP for the 2 nights.