Etape 2009

Comments

• BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    popette wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Yes, they take one bag per rider in a truck, you give them your bag, they give you a ticket and you collect the bag afterwards.

thanks for the info kleber - that's good to know. The only way I can see me doing entry only is if I can find somewhere to stay in the start village or within a few miles of the start. I would drive the car over to the end the day before, take the coach back to the start village and then walk or taxi back to the hotel. On the day I can use the service you describe for my luggage. My hotel for immediately after the Etape could be anywhere because I'll be back with the car and so can easily get about.
    The problem is - I can't find anything near to the start village! The whole place seems to be booked.

But how will you get hold of the entry? :idea:
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Popette, great stuff.

I think next year's route looks really good. Going up Ventoux on the Etape will be awesome. i wish i could do it.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    BMCCbry wrote:

But how will you get hold of the entry? :idea:

hi - I reserved an entry only with cyclomundo a while ago. I thought they were excellent last year (I think I have said this many times now - they don't pay me :) but they really looked after me very well)
  • BMCCbry
    Sounds like a good move! Well good luck for finding somewhere to stay in Montelimar.

Does anyone know what happens with these tour companies if you want to take a non-cycling partner with you? If you are making your own travel arrangements, does it make any difference?
  • popette
    BMCCbry wrote:
    Sounds like a good move! Well good luck for finding somewhere to stay in Montelimar.

Does anyone know what happens with these tour companies if you want to take a non-cycling partner with you? If you are making your own travel arrangements, does it make any difference?

last year I entered as a cyclist but ended up being the non-cycling partner. Cyclomundo do a package for partners and I joined them on that in the end. We watched the etape from a number of points along the route and had a most delicious picnic for lunch. Then we went to a gite hired by cyclomundo to watch the later stages of the race (at the foot of hautacam) and had a bit more food. It really was an excellent way to spend the day. I drove on the day - following the cyclomundo vehicle around so I was able to have the car with me at the finish. There was a mini bus though so your partner wouldn't have to drive if she didn't fancy it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cheers Phips

I have an entry only with Cyclomundo, which is EUR 195 (has this increased from previous years or perhaps its just the FX rate is pi** poor at the moment)
  • boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    Just recieved confirmation of an "entry-only" place with cyclomundo!

Delighted.

Although i have to say that EUR 195 is pretty steep - does anyone know what the actual cost is for someone living in France and applying through Velo Magazine?

Needs must i suppose - some folk would pay a similar price to play a round of golf on a championship course, so in sporting terms i suppose it's all relative.
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    I've just received a notification email from Cyclomundo and, without perhaps as much throught as I should have applied, have shelled out on my entry only place.

I rode the 2007 edition, so have an idea of what to expect in terms of what needs to be done and when, but want a little more flexibility around travel and accomodation, expecially Mrs F will be coming this time.

Time to start training and stop whimpering on the Sunday club runs!

Good luck people.
  • Excellent news, Popette :D .

i'm going through Cyclomundo again. i thought they were very good this year and i quite fancy the package which includes staying near the start before the event then near the finish afterwards so i don't have to get up at 3 am next time round :cry:
    pm
  • popette
    has anyone ever camped the night before the etape?
  • Hi Guys,

It sounds like Cyclomundo is the way the go?I have not seen the finer details to the package, however I take it that the packages quoted do not include flights? 8)
  • popette
    Lance3315 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

It sounds like Cyclomundo is the way the go?I have not seen the finer details to the package, however I take it that the packages quoted do not include flights? 8)

yes, that's right.

I'm seriously considering camping. Not experienced camper by any means (well, I did it once for a team bonding weekend) but at 12 euro for a pitch, it is very tempting when all other rooms seem to be full.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    popette wrote:
    Lance3315 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

yes, that's right.

I'm seriously considering camping. Not experienced camper by any means (well, I did it once for a team bonding weekend) but at 12 euro for a pitch, it is very tempting when all other rooms seem to be full.

Well, it can't be any more uncomfortable than most 2* hotels in France can it? :wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    €195 for an entry only - you know Velo magazine charge around a quarter of that don't you? Someone is doing very well from the Etape business I think.
  • Our french friends appear to be complaining about the 60 Euro entry fee here:

http://www.velo101.com/forum/message.as ... mero=39230
  • Our french friends appear to be complaining about the 60 Euro entry fee here:

http://www.velo101.com/forum/message.as ... mero=39230
  • has anyone ever camped the night before the etape?

I camped in 2004, Limoges to St Flour and 2005 Mourenx to Pau. The campsites were full of people riding the etape. In 2004 I even packed the tent up the morning of the ride, up at 4am!! Then off to ride 238km.

Camping in France is good value and easy, bigger campsites have electricity, very good showers, loos etc. The one we stayed in near Limoges had a good restuarant on site too. Just invest in a good tent and airbed.

[/quote]
  • BMCCbry
    popette wrote:
    BMCCbry wrote:

last year I entered as a cyclist but ended up being the non-cycling partner. Cyclomundo do a package for partners and I joined them on that in the end. We watched the etape from a number of points along the route and had a most delicious picnic for lunch. Then we went to a gite hired by cyclomundo to watch the later stages of the race (at the foot of hautacam) and had a bit more food. It really was an excellent way to spend the day. I drove on the day - following the cyclomundo vehicle around so I was able to have the car with me at the finish. There was a mini bus though so your partner wouldn't have to drive if she didn't fancy it.

Thanks Poppette. :lol: He he I'm always getting mistaken for a bloke on this forum! I'm a girl and my non-cycling partner is a boy :wink: We are the reverse of the usual scenario. Sounds great, anyway, I'm sure he'll like the sound of the picnic! :D
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    andyp wrote:
    €195 for an entry only - you know Velo magazine charge around a quarter of that don't you? Someone is doing very well from the Etape business I think.
    Indeed, but the places are selling fast. They could try €300 and they'd still sell them :?
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I have camped extensively while cycling, generally carrying all the stuff while touring; I now use a Themarest to save weight but in my early years touring both I and my bike was heavy anyway and I had this _massive_ double air mattress that must have weighed 3-4 kilos on its own. Get one of them and you'll sleep well I can assure you :D

Camping certainly not nuts, especially if you are in any way used to it. If you are not I think it would be no harm just to try it for maybe 2 nights before the big day, I know I can get nervous flutters even in the most comfortable of beds before big things.
  • popette
    BMCCbry wrote:
    popette wrote:
    BMCCbry wrote:

:)

Thanks Poppette. :lol: He he I'm always getting mistaken for a bloke on this forum! I'm a girl and my non-cycling partner is a boy :wink: We are the reverse of the usual scenario. Sounds great, anyway, I'm sure he'll like the sound of the picnic! :D

:) As I wrote it I thought to myself that I was being quite presumptuous in assuming your partner was female - I still thought you were a bloke called Bryan but you might have been gay. :D
  • BMCCbry
    popette wrote:
    BMCCbry wrote:
    popette wrote:
    BMCCbry wrote:

:) As I wrote it I thought to myself that I was being quite presumptuous in assuming your partner was female - I still thought you were a bloke called Bryan but you might have been gay. :D

LOL! :D

I'm still trying to decide what to do. Might go with a company but do the "drive yourself there" type option.
  • As per my previous posts just avoid BikeStyles Tours. Diabolical.
    BMCCbry wrote:
    popette wrote:
    BMCCbry wrote:
    popette wrote:
    BMCCbry wrote:

LOL! :D

I'm still trying to decide what to do. Might go with a company but do the "drive yourself there" type option.
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    Popette - about the camping -

I have previously camped before an etape - it was in 2006 I think and would certainly do it again. Mind you in 2006 I had to pack the tent up the morning of the ride and head down the hillside into town carrying it and my other stuff on my back before leaving it with some friends then going to the start! This was because I was riding with a group who had (dreadful )accommodation and had no car.

Anyway my suggestions:

Get a camp site that is fairly close to the start and preferably not up or down a big hill
    Then you can easily do the 'leave car at finish' routine without needing two vehicles/riding miles the day before
    A swimming pool, cafe/bar etc. is nice too!
    Have a reasonable sized tent if possible - more room & better if it rains or is hot
    Easier if you drive there and have a car
    Get there a few days beforehand, and don't leave until afterwards (it's easier if you don't have to get up super early just to pack the tent away on the morning of the etape!)
    Hope there isn't overnight rain like this year as sleep might be hard to come by :)

Facilities are usually good, others there will be doing it and anyway, it's easy to get up early in the morning at a site

Chill and enjoy!
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    Just for the record, ASO charge the operators 125€ per entry. At current FX £100. Of the £140 charged by the operator, VAT is £21. Credit card charge - £2. So £17 profit for dealing with admin, post, chasing dozy bug9ers who can't sign a form, get their doc to sign a form, get their license renewed, etc etc etc. Hardly profiteering.
    Just for the record, ASO charge the operators 125€ per entry. At current FX £100. Of the £140 charged by the operator, VAT is £21. Credit card charge - £2. So £17 profit for dealing with admin, post, chasing dozy bug9ers who can't sign a form, get their doc to sign a form, get their license renewed, etc etc etc. Hardly profiteering.
    Thanks, that's quite interesting. So ASO charge the tour companies double what they charge locals and they get the Tour companies to do all the admin and work too. The Etape is becoming big business.

It's not even a big challenge, this year's edition was easier than past riders and 2009 looks moderate to hard too. In the past it was a killer ride, I have a suspicion it's being made easier to keep the numbers up.

I don't understand the fixation amongst British riders for the Etape, if you like the Etape, for the money people spend on a weekend of coach travel and roach motels, you could have three weekends away to do the Maratona Dolomites, the Marmotte and the Dragon Ride. :idea: Of course, if you're loaded, do the Etape too!
  • niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    Kléber wrote:
    Thanks, that's quite interesting. So ASO charge the tour companies double what they charge locals and they get the Tour companies to do all the admin and work too. The Etape is becoming big business.

It's not even a big challenge, this year's edition was easier than past riders and 2009 looks moderate to hard too. In the past it was a killer ride, I have a suspicion it's being made easier to keep the numbers up.

I don't understand the fixation amongst British riders for the Etape, for the money people spend on a weekend of coach travel and roach motels, they could have three weekends away to do the Maratona Dolomites, the Marmotte and the Ariegeoise. :idea:

Of course it's big business, in the same way as the London and New York marathons are big business - it is the cyclosportive still for lots of people, especially those who are not really "into" cyclosportives. I wouldn't turn my nose up at something which, although it attracts a fair few dilletantes, is also a gateway into the wonderful world of cycle sport for many. Besides, as an 'event' it really is without equal because of its associations with the TDF - you don't get the same local spectator turnout and atmosphere for other events. Plus, it's a completely different route every year on closed roads which is something you can't say about most cyclos.

One thing about cost - yes it's expensive, but a basic package is about the same as one might spend on a reasonable set of wheels (which will probably be 'upgraded' and consigned to the winter bike after a couple of years). It's all relative!
    I'm not turning my nose up at it, sorry if it sounded that way. It's a great ride but it just feels as if it's beginning to slide too far from a fun sports event into a marketing exercise. It's still good, a point to point ride across the French countryside in July is always going to be fun.