Etape 2009

Comments

• craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Anyone know where the official feeds are going to be located?

Craig
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    craigenty wrote:

About this time last year they put a full schedule up on the site. This included the full route, cut off times and feed stops.

Last year there was 2 feed stops and one for water.
    Gave us 10h20 to finish. I'd expect a similar time this year.
    exercise.png
  • craigenty
    TheStone wrote:
    craigenty wrote:

About this time last year they put a full schedule up on the site. This included the full route, cut off times and feed stops.

Last year there was 2 feed stops and one for water.
    Gave us 10h20 to finish. I'd expect a similar time this year.

I've put together a pdf file including a map of all the alternative water stops / taps / fountains between Nyons and Bedoin. As soon as I know where the official feeds are I'll pu them on the map too and upload it for anyone who wants to print it off.

Craig
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Craig,
    That sounds brilliant - thanks for doing that for us all :)
    Do you know what they offer in the way of toilets? Me and Bry don't fancy getting our shorts off in the gutter (but will if necessary :) )
    Also, if anyone knows the type of stuff that you get at the feedstops, that would be really useful info (76 days away and I'm already wondering what I'm going to be eating on the day - reckon there'll be any nougat?)

Thanks
    Karen
  • craigenty
    popette wrote:
    Craig,

Do you know what they offer in the way of toilets? Me and Bry don't fancy getting our shorts off in the gutter (but will if necessary :) )

Thanks
    Karen

There's public toilets in Taulignan, Rousset les Vignes, Nyons, Les Pilles, Ste Jalle, Buis les Baronnies, and Sault - all on the route or a few metres walk away.
    As soon as I have the official feeds I'll put the file up.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    popette wrote:
    Craig,
    That sounds brilliant - thanks for doing that for us all :)
    Also, if anyone knows the type of stuff that you get at the feedstops, that would be really useful info (76 days away and I'm already wondering what I'm going to be eating on the day - reckon there'll be any nougat?)

Thanks
    Karen
    I don't remember there being any toilets in previous etapes I've done except at the start.

In terms of food stops they usually have water, electrolyte powder, energy drinks (IIRC), gels, bananas, dried figs, ham and cheese sandwiches and cake. I can't remember what else they had. Personally I carried nuun tablets for electrolyte drink and pre-measured Torq carb drink so i had what I' used to. I also took a couple of my own gels and food.
  • popette
    Does anyone know, or have an idea where we start from in Montelimar?
    I'm north of the town and will by cycling to the start. 9.8km to the centre of town - I hope the start point isn't too far south of town or that distance will obviously increase and I don't want to be cycling miles and miles before I've even started.

Thanks for the info SWK - good to know that there is a savoury option available and gels.

When I go back to France, I'm going to be on the look-out for a custard filled pain au chocolat - never had it before or since but picked one up in Lourdes. It was heaven. Not great for carrying in your jersey pocket but definitely a treat for when the ride is over.
  • craigenty
    popette wrote:

When I go back to France, I'm going to be on the look-out for a custard filled pain au chocolat - never had it before or since but picked one up in Lourdes. It was heaven. Not great for carrying in your jersey pocket but definitely a treat for when the ride is over.

Those things are awesome - they call them a "Suisse" around here.

http://www.sandwich-market.fr/images/pr ... tescho.jpg 8)

Craig
  • 007stucumber
    007stucumber Posts: 671
    2386! My highest so far!
  • popette
    I must have checked for my number about 50 times today. :evil:
  • dmb4
    dmb4 Posts: 30
    Not the only one I still have no number
  • Datameister
    Datameister Posts: 33
    popette wrote:
    Does anyone know, or have an idea where we start from in Montelimar?

The website says "Centre-Ville", so unless they are lying, that's about as far as you need to go.
  • Datameister
    And as a further point, and one we nearly missed last year, you are going to need a light for cycling into town that time of the morning.

Last year it was pitch black when we set out for the start.
  • popette
    And as a further point, and one we nearly missed last year, you are going to need a light for cycling into town that time of the morning.

Last year it was pitch black when we set out for the start.

my rear light is always on (although I was going to remove it to save a bit of weight). Remind me again - can you take a bag to the start and will they take it to the end for you? I have a big front light (big battery pack too) but I wouldn't want to take that over ventoux.
  • Datameister
    popette wrote:
    can you take a bag to the start and will they take it to the end for you?

i recall that might have been an option, though we didn't take them up on it. My light was only a lightweight super-cheapie from Halfords but was (just) enough to see by.

Given that the broom wagon does the whole course from start to end, I would have thought that it should be possible. I'll try and check.

Failing that, if you only want to divest yourself of additional weight, there may be an option to leave stuff at the start village and return for it later.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    popette wrote:
    Remind me again - can you take a bag to the start and will they take it to the end for you? I have a big front light (big battery pack too) but I wouldn't want to take that over ventoux.
    Yes there is an efficient system where you can leave a bag on a truck in the morning near to the start and collect it at the finish.

Quite often I have used this, after leaving a vehicle at the finish the day before there is still 'stuff' you need for the night before the etape, this can be put in a rucksack and transported for you including lights and warm clothing not needed on 'the day'.

We usually have different accommodation for the days after the event to that used before and this service is excellent.
  • dmb4
    dmb4 Posts: 30
    How is everyones cheating (sorry training) going, I have seemed to hit a plateau. Damn
  • sedliak
    sedliak Posts: 13
    Just out of interest, how many people here haven't got their start numbers yet? Still haven't got mine and I haven't seen any new names go up all week. Friends who are travelling via Sports Tours got theirs weeks ago....
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    With cyclomundo and no number yet. No panic.

Training not going so well. Delayed and recovering from 3 crashes this year. 30mins slower on the Forest of Dean last week. Much panic.

Need a really good May and June to have a chance of avoiding the broom wagon.
    exercise.png
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    those who booked with Cyclomundo (me included) seem to be still waiting - they've told me it could be late May or even June!. There have been 2 or 3 emails from Cyclomundo that never reached me - including the fitness questionnaire that ASO needed to allocate my number though I've now done this.
  • popette
    my husband is playing Etape chicken again - doing minimum training before the big day. So far this year he has done the 66 mile Cheshire Cat, the 43 mile North Cornwall Tor, he did a 40 mile ride into the peaks and maximum of 5 x 20 mile rides on the flat roads of Cheshire. Last weekend he did a ten mile ride and came back saying that he felt really strong - yeh, that's because you're only doing 10 miles.
    He got to the foot of Hautacam last year and the road was closed so you would think that he would be right into his training in an attempt to avoid that experience this time around.
    Next weekend we're doing the Etape Caledonia together (well, we start together). I hope that by beating him soundly, that might give him a bit of a kick to get started on some proper training.
    Anyone got any suggestions?
  • Soreknees
    Soreknees Posts: 68
    popette wrote:
    my husband is playing Etape chicken again - doing minimum training before the big day. So far this year he has done the 66 mile Cheshire Cat, the 43 mile North Cornwall Tor, he did a 40 mile ride into the peaks and maximum of 5 x 20 mile rides on the flat roads of Cheshire. Last weekend he did a ten mile ride and came back saying that he felt really strong - yeh, that's because you're only doing 10 miles.
    He got to the foot of Hautacam last year and the road was closed so you would think that he would be right into his training in an attempt to avoid that experience this time around.
    Next weekend we're doing the Etape Caledonia together (well, we start together). I hope that by beating him soundly, that might give him a bit of a kick to get started on some proper training.

See the thread "Tapering before a sportive". Tells you all you need to know. :lol::wink:
  • popette
    Soreknees wrote:
    popette wrote:

See the thread "Tapering before a sportive". Tells you all you need to know. :lol::wink:

:lol:
    how did you do though?
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    popette wrote:
    my husband is playing Etape chicken again - doing minimum training before the big day. Anyone got any suggestions?

Not a husband or partner but over the last few years a friend who 10 years or so ago was a reasonable cyclist has behaved in a similar manner.

Eliminated from the etape twice by the broom wagon he still 'talked' an excellent game despite obvious lack of effort and application in training /build up.

Events like the etape deserve respect and for many of us every single UK event and training ride whilst valuable in their own right also play a key role in acknowledging what we are committed to.

Sadly I am short on advice but said friend is not even coming down with us this year so that is a step in the wrong direction, best to keep him as involved and positive as possible.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    popette wrote:

Horses/water springs to mind. Tell him that if he is happy to fail and be reminded of that everytime he looks at you and that you WILL drop him if he fails to keep up. After that it's up to him. FYI Warrick is an elite level rider
    http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/ventoux.htm

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/warrick_ventoux.htm

Advise him to read the links about the Ventoux and that realising halfway round in the heat/cold/wind that he should have done some work is not going to help
    M.Rushton
  • popette
    Oh I shall definitely drop him - I'm not doing all this training just so I can go as slow as him :wink:

He just called me to say he's going to get on his bike tonight so perhaps the penny has dropped - let's hope so.

I'm back to checking for my number 50 times a day. Still nothing.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    I think this funny numbering thing is more to do with cyclomundo than ASO - we didn't do it last year with sport tours (either that or they just made it up on our behalf and didn't tell us). We started then around 3500. Hoping not to be too much lower than that this time around (also waiting on cyclomundo like you guys). Anyway - good to see you're riding this year Popette, and not just taking our pictures!
  • Soreknees
    Soreknees Posts: 68
    popette wrote:
    Soreknees wrote:
    popette wrote:

:lol:
    how did you do though?

Well considering the weather (hail, rain, sleet and sunshine in varying degrees) and the lingering effects of the cold (better get all the excuses out of the way...) I was quite happy with my time (3:12), which was about 8 mins slower than last year.
  • popette
    I have a ventoux shaped boil on my inner thigh :shock:
  • whiteboytrash
    whiteboytrash Posts: 594
    Question: I read that Mont Serein is the finishing village. Does this mean they will force you to descend into Mont Serein ? Just trying to work out logistics of getting back to the hotel....