Etape 2009

Comments

• IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    To take this thread in a slightly different direction, I'd like to pose a question:

Given identical weather/atmospheric conditions, will the 2009 Etape will be more or less challenging than the 2008 edition? Additional marks will be awarded for answers with well illustrated arguments....
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    It depends if there's a lengthy wait at the finish before we can descend (I know it made it safe...) - I nearlly died of hypothermia.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You will probably have to park your car in Malaucene or the ski resort at Mont Serein. So you climb up one side and then descend by the other.
  • Lance3315 wrote:
    8) Hi Guys,

I am looking foreword to taking part in my first Etape next year.Does anyone have any suggestions to a really good training program and possible nutrition advise?

Thanks
    [/quote]

I see that CYCLEFILM are putting together another Recon DVD of the 2009 Etape. There's already a bunch of stuff up on their site, including a map, GPS file and plenty of videos: THE ROAD TO MT.VENTOUX

They also have an Etape summary page with related Etape videos, blogs, news and podcast links:
    L'ETAPE HQ

Regarding a training program, i agree with some of the other posts that you should make sure to get your base miles in before March, then step it up with maybe a training camp and harder rides in April/May/June. Most importantly tho, make sure you enjoy going out for a ride. If it's just another chore, what's the point in that??

Good luck and best wishes.
  • bs147 wrote:
    There does seem to have been a price hike this year - I think I will have to look at the Marmotte instead. I can have a week out there (camping) for the same money as the cheapest 3 day currently being offered! I seem to recall that you can enter the Marmotte direct without having to go through an operator - can anyone confirm that please?

I think the price hike might have something to do with this

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/GBP/graph120.html
  • I got a silver this year and have retired from Etape duty. It does seem that this year the prices of packages are out of hand. that said, if you can get entry only and find somewhere to stay / hire a car then it will no doubt be great fun.

route looks relatively easy :lol:
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    Hypothetically,

if accomodation is an issue, would any of you be interested in taking up a camper van option?

Drive you and bikes down there, site close to start, drop off for start then pick up at finish, drive you back home?

not sure of what it would cost but I fancy it would be a viable solution that I might volunteer for if costs could be covered? Obviously need to work out timings etc
    fay ce que voudres
  • that is a good way to do it fnb ... as long as you have wheels then accomodation is not an issue.
  • Also a newbie to etape riding and got an entry-only entry for 2009.
    Clocking up some longer weekend rides (50-60miles) already and also entered the Dave Lloyd Mega in june (lwhich looks harder than the etape if you ask me!).

2 Questions:

1) Does the eurostar train get booked up along time in advance?
    (I have had bad experiences flying with my bike and want to take the train)

2) My wonderful wife had agreed to help me get to the start and pick me up from finish etc. How busy do the roads get around the start and finish of the etape? Am i better off using the shuttle service?

Thanks for the advice
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hiya, my husband cycled to the start so I have no experience of driving around the start point but I did drive to the finish. It didn't seem too bad to me - slight delay getting out because of the pedestrians and cyclists milling about on the same roads but no problem really. It wouldn't put me off doing that again.

I wasn't aware of a shuttle on the day of the event (I could be completely wrong). I thought the shuttle happened in the days prior to the event so that you could take your car to the finish and then get on the bus back to the start. As I said, I may have that completely wrong and there may be other shuttles on the day - anybody??

what happened with your bad experience on the plane? We drove last year and I want to fly this time around as the drive was just too long. I'd be interested to see how you get on with trains as well as I bloody hate flying. I'm like Mr T - I will need to be seriously p!ssed before I get on the plane.
  • Also a newbie to etape riding and got an entry-only entry for 2009.
    Clocking up some longer weekend rides (50-60miles) already and also entered the Dave Lloyd Mega in june (lwhich looks harder than the etape if you ask me!).

2 Questions:

1) Does the eurostar train get booked up along time in advance?
    (I have had bad experiences flying with my bike and want to take the train)

2) My wonderful wife had agreed to help me get to the start and pick me up from finish etc. How busy do the roads get around the start and finish of the etape? Am i better off using the shuttle service?

Thanks for the advice

Robert,

Next year's Eurostar timetable is available around Christmas I think. The direct train from St Pancras to Avignon only runs on Saturdays but that would work with next year's Etape being on a Monday.
    The other option is to get the Eurostar to Lille then change at Lille to a TGV for Avignon.
    Another option is to change in Paris but that's a last resort as crossing paris with a bike bag is no fun. However there is a TGV from Paris to Lyon then it slows down and stops at every station on the non TGV line between Lyon and Avignon, this one stops at Montelimar.
    Usual TGV bookings aren't usually possible until 3 months before.

The beauty of next years Etape is that the road network between Montelimar and the foot of Mont Ventoux is easy to navigate, quick and goes nowhere near the actual closed route.
  • I took the train two years in succession 2007 and 2008 and have left reports for anybody interested on my club website
    www.thamesvelo.org.uk/pages/articles_idx.html

However I am thinking this year of driving and booking hotel and entry only. My plan is to leave home (Berkshire) on Friday 17th July morning return either very late on 21st or on 22nd.
    If anyone is interested in coming with me in return for a proportionate share of petrol/tolls, let me know.
  • Hi - I pre-registered with Cyclomundo for an entry only place but I never heard back from them. They still have an entry only section on their site but it still refers to pre-registration only. Am I likely to have missed the boat (and thus have to rely on getting in through Velo)? Any other suggestions for getting an entry only?

Cheers
  • popette
    Steerpike - drop bruno an email - bruno@cyclomundo.com I'm sure that he'll be able to help. I also missed some of the information - possibly went into my junk inbox - and paid for my entry only quite recently.
    Good luck
  • thanks popette - I did get a mail originally from Bruno confirming pre-registration but now only seem to be getting the mass mailed package offers from Cyclomundo. I've just mailed Bruno again - fingers crossed.
  • Following on from the original post:

What do people think about going weights in preperation for etape?

m basing my winter preperation on 2 longish rides at the weekend and a 1-1 1/2Hr local club track session midweek. Ill add some more mid-week rides after the clocks go forward.

I used to use weights for rowing training and wondered if they would be worth doing some high rep squats etc to build strength for the etape? I could get a couple of sessions in if its worth it?

Cheers,

Rob
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Yes, the thread has got a bit OT

While weights won't do you any harm, the most important training you can do, is for what we don't experience here. Long hills. Ride long hills. Visit areas in the UK you wouldn't ordinarily-some great rides down here on Dartmoor

For value for money, you can't get any better training than 200k Audaxes-a combination of distance and in many cases great scenery (aka hills :D ). Sportives are good too.

Don't just do one or two. Make sure you've done lots of rides of the same length as the Etape
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Of course there is no substitute for actually cycling, but if time is limited then improving muscles that you use when when cycling will er, help you when cycling, though your time and money might be better spent on a turbo trainer for 30 minutes with gradually increasing resistance.

I do personally believe that the leg strengthening excercise that I do, have made a positive contribution to my cycling endurance and hill climbing. In case anyone is interested read on - if not, look away now!

1. Sit on a chair with your feet on the floor, back straight, legs at roughly 90 degrees and a slightly deflated football between your knees. With slight pressure on the ball, raise one foot so its straight in front, bring it down, do the same with the other leg. repeat 20x per leg

2. With your back against a wall, lower yourself so your legs are at roughly 90 degrees. With the ball between your knees, hold for 20secs, then raise yourself against the wall and then back to start position. Repeat 20x. Repeat the whole exercise 3 times.

Personally i like to increase my stomach crunches to 300 3 times per week as my cycling activity increases, as I believe that it aids stability on the bike, and I know that it improves lumbar support.

I haven't found that using weights to improve my arm and shoulder muscles to be of any cycling related use, but at least you'll be turning any fat into muscle.
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Know off topic but FWIW I do weight training throughout the year and reckon it helps with most parts of cycling including long climbs like etape, especially if knocking on a bit in years.

As per above includes lots of core work as this helps provide stable base when climbing for long periods and is preventative measure against back problems on long rides.

I do some upper body/arm work as well, mainly just to balance out the training but do find that working the triceps helps on especially steep climbs when out of the saddle.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • popette
    hi all,
    it's all gone a bit quiet - should we be doing something now? Getting doctors letters or something? I haven't heard from cyclomundo for a while so I'm assuming that they're not expecting anything from me but I seem to remember that it was around this time that we had to get our letters faxed off.
    How's your training going?
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Hi,

I'm travelling with Ronan Pensec, got my form about a month ago and sent it back. I had registered with Cyclomundo but they missed me on their emails and all the packages I was after were gone when I eventually was contacted.

Training is going ok. Doing the Hell of the Ashdown on Feb 1st, which will tell a lot!

Regards
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Me too for Ronan Pensec. Sent the form back last week as they wanted them by Jan 15th. Am happy to say I wasn't charged by my GP for signing it!

Training going ok, no thanks to the icy spell! :roll: :wink:
  • I got an e-mail from Cyclemundo in December with the entry form and saying you had to get it signed by your doctor. The form had to be in by Jan 31st.
  • popette
    lochindaal wrote:
    I got an e-mail from Cyclemundo in December with the entry form and saying you had to get it signed by your doctor. The form had to be in by Jan 31st.

I don't seem to have an email from them - they may have sent it to my husband. Need to check it out and get it signed QUICK!!
  • alibee
    alibee Posts: 9
    Is it possible at all, at this late stage to get entrance only to the L'Etape 09? I will be in the area during that time so don't want/need a package. I have registered on the Cyclomundo reserve list in case there are drop outs but I don't hold out much hope for that! Any tips appreciated.
  • does anyone know a web address for the campsites close by? I can't seem to find any but people keep mentioning one for 12 euro!
  • The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • popette
    hiya
    we're staying here
    http://www.campingfloral.com/lauyan/fra ... index.html
    they have some studio flats there too and we have taken one of them - think its 175 euro for the week but we'll just be staying 3 nights. Still much cheaper than a package. I asked the lady and she said that she was 6km from the centre of town (perfect warm up).

I'm praying no one looks at this and tells me that its in the wrong part of France.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Looks like we've got late 'entry only' places.
    Any advice on where to stay. Montelimar looks all booked up.

Does the route look a little easier than last year, or is that just wishful thinking?
    Two months behind on training!
    exercise.png
  • I know VeloVentoux have two spaces as I had to cancel yesterday.

Yes the route does look easier than last year, but I'd check out the climbs en route!
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions