Etape 2009

1151617181921»

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    was it really 40C degrees? I don't remember it being *that* hot...but the climbs were killer - long /non-stop. The pictures I have from '98 show I started in arm warmers and kept them on most of the day, down around my wrists, but pulled them up on the descents from the Galibier etc. I remember people with hoses spraying us on the telegraph and sitting down under a tree at the top of the telegraph cuz I was so bushed.

I also hazily remember riding a flat tire up the last 2 kms of Les 2 Alpes - couldn't be asked to change it over the last 2000 meters...

At the finish I swore never to do another one. The next day after good food and sleep I couldn't wait....that was 11 years and 8 etapes ago. Ah the memories...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • It was carnage with the heat on the telegraph and galibier.

I remember being hosed down by people at the bottom of the Telegraph

Can't remember where i read it , but I think about a 3rd of the field didn't complete the ride.
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    A bit late but not long back from France

i now have a report with some photo's on my website that's in my sig.

Much the same as most I think. Great to Bedoin and hell on Ventoux.

Well done to all those who finished
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Just read your account Lochindaal - I remember that enormous widgey on the road too. It made me laugh out loud at the time :-)
  • The photos from Maindruphoto (the official Etape photographer) are disappointing. I saw loads of photographers en route taking loads of pics, but there are only 5 pics of me on their website. Anyone know of any other photographers who took pictures on the day?
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Does anyone know the number of starters for the 09 Etape? Starters in each category would be useful.