Morpeth Social Club

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    Damn page 8

Anyway myself and several others were just made redundant, sigh!

As it would happen my rail ticket expires on the same day as my last working day, which is the Thursday 10th March

So then who about for beers on Thursday?

My job hunting plans are alas to exclude London in the future for I fear six hours of commuting a day is a tad excessive.

Mmm beer

Times ish I'll have done a long day so I probably will fall into bed but I could be tempted though am unlikely to manage more than a half!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    My commiserations on the dramatic increase in free time, hope it doesn't last too long.

I'm still resolutely (not to mention surprisingly) on the wagon but might show up if my willpower is feeling suitably robust tomorrow afternoon.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Would I be right in thinking that there are two sets of Silly Commuter Drinks tomorrow, one at the Morpeth and the SELondon one in New Cross (or there abouts)?

I'm considering going to both if there is, partly to try out the new Overground trainline.
    Has anyone got an idea of what that line would be like to take a bike on at around 5, or would it be a better idea to go to the Morpeth first and use the Overground to get back to civilisation (NLondon)?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JZed wrote:
    ITB - not sure going to be able to make it - missues brothers 30th birthday meal so would go down about as well as Gary Glitter visiting a nursery. Assuming it will be a late one may try and pop by later on.

Whatever give you that idea :roll:

Although the Morpeth + beers is the reason I had to have shoulder surgery, we have a history me and the peth. :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    _Brun_ wrote:
    My commiserations on the dramatic increase in free time, hope it doesn't last too long.

I'm still resolutely (not to mention surprisingly) on the wagon but might show up if my willpower is feeling suitably robust tomorrow afternoon.

*Looks out of the window* - Is it raining fish & frogs ...?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    So what time will people be at the Morpeth this evening?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    rjsterry wrote:
    So what time will people be at the Morpeth this evening?

from about 4.30-5pm I should imagine, could be a tad early for you "workers"
  • itboffin
    I have a meeting at 3pm to finalise the details then I might pootle over to borough market for some curry & coffee.

one last time :cry:
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    sorry won't get to see you off dude, hopefully you'll still pop up for the odd drinking sesh from time to time.
    Hat + Beard
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:
    I have a meeting at 3pm to finalise the details then I might pootle over to borough market for some curry & coffee.

one last time :cry:

Cheer up, you can always come and visit. 4.30-5 might be a bit early for me, but I might be able to sneak out early and get there for 6.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    I can no longer make it. Jr's 1st Birthday tomorrow and hadn't appreciated the amount of work required to make food and generally prepare for the little guests. I'll buy a round as penance on my next visit. Sorry to be a jibber.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sorry I couldn't make it. Bloody wind, bloody jobsworth train station geezer, bloody wind (I know I've mentioned wind twice but it was really windy).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    Perhaps it was the anaesthetic effect of the Young's but I didn't find the wind too bad - made good time as well Morpeth to Carshalton in 50 minutes for 10.8 miles :D Good to meet up again and put another face to a name - I take it that was you _Brun_?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    _Brun_ wrote:

I'm still somewhat disturbed by your lack of alcohol last night :shock:
  • Hi folks

We'd like to do an article on the commuting 'scene' - and especially silly commuting racing - in Cycling Plus. If we were to send a journalist and photographer to the Morpeth Arms on Friday April 1* would some of you like to join tell them your war stories?

*No, this isn't an advanced April Fool!

Cheers

John
    John Stevenson
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Hi folks

We'd like to do an article on the commuting 'scene' - and especially silly commuting racing - in Cycling Plus. If we were to send a journalist and photographer to the Morpeth Arms on Friday April 1* would some of you like to join tell them your war stories?

Cheers

John

Hi John, will the journalist be buying the beer?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:
    Hi folks

Cheers

John

Good work, I covered the one in the SCR thread.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Sketchley wrote:
    Hi folks

Cheers

John

May need a bigger pub if he is.......
  • I can see the expenses claim for this exercise is going to be considerable...
    John Stevenson
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    I can see the expenses claim for this exercise is going to be considerable...

Maybe I should make the trip down from yorkshire?
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Beer you say? Despite not

. Commuting at the moment
    . Being able to ride just now
    . Living in London

I think it's probably high time I made it to the Morpeth to give a journalist the opportunity to force beer upon me. I'm a trooper, I know.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Free beer you say? I'm there!
  • sketchley
    I can see the expenses claim for this exercise is going to be considerable...

Excellent. I'm in. What time?
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    At the risk this event is going to become oversubscribed I'll lay claim to a place now.
  • sketchley
    JZed wrote:
    At the risk this event is going to become oversubscribed I'll lay claim to a place now.

Does the Morpeth have a function room?
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    Sketchley wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Yeah upstairs
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I'll take a spot even on crutches - war wounds aplenty ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Mine's a Guinness please.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • sketchley
    JZed wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Yeah upstairs

John, I think you should book this, organise a buffet and stick a float behind the bar? :D
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    Sketchley wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Yeah upstairs

John, I think you should book this, organise a buffet and stick a float behind the bar? :D

Maybe bring some test bikes too - I'll bagsie the S-works Venge