Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    daniel_b said:

Not bought yet, as not even Scott have the yellow ones in stock, but these Pro Shield glasses look stunning to me - I have two pairs of their predecessors and they are REALLY light, comfy and have proper quality photochromatic optics, every bit as good as Oakley imho.

Westbrook tell me they are due in January.

They do black as well, and a raft of other colours with normal lenses.

Do we need a "Daniel B's thread to tell everyone what bike gear he's going to buy?" 😉

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited December 2021
    Couple of bargains purchased for my daughter who said her childrens catlike whisper equivalent (kitten or something) was feeling a bit small.

So I've ordered her one each of these Scott helmets in small - the latter for a slightly future time when she's a bit more into her road cycling.

Two Mips helmets for £55 the pair, instead of well in excess of £300 rrp.

Oh and a pair of these Lusso gloves that Pinno recommended:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Oh and just rang them up and added on these two as well:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    Oh and to update on a couple of other orders.
    One of the Morvelo orders went missing, so I messaged them, and they said it had probably been lost, so sent me out the same again.
    I went to collect it when I had a notification, and only realised once I had another despatch confirmation that the original parcel had been found by Hermes, and that was in fact what I had collected.

Dropped Morvelo a message, explained, and asked if they wanted me to pick it up to return, or simply leave it there, as after 10 days items not collected get returned, and they said just to go and collect it and keep it - which was nice of them I thought - above and beyond.

Also Pedal Mafia came through - the UK chap sent me out the right jacket with a couple of tubes of NUUN hydration tablets which was nice, and a prepaid hermes label to return the incorrect jacket.

Eyeing a 2nd hand one of these up for my daughter as well, she said she wants bright green, I think this fits the bill :D

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Those frog bikes are really good. My son has had a couple in different sizes and I've just, with much regret, sold the last one (a 72 MTB) as he's outgrown it and moved on to an adult medium 29'er.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    edward.s said:

Those frog bikes are really good. My son has had a couple in different sizes and I've just, with much regret, sold the last one (a 72 MTB) as he's outgrown it and moved on to an adult medium 29'er.

@edward.s I've posted on one of the Facebook frog pages, and opinion seems divided as to whether it's a logical step up or too big a jump.

My daughter is a tall (I think) 8 year old, birthday in August - currently 4ft 6" tall.
    She is riding a bargain 62 I found (Having moved up from a 52), and has been since Christmas last year.

She's a very competent rider, doesn't need any of this being able to get her feet down whilst being in the saddle malarkey which is good.

I always try and buy ahead to get the next bike ready, serviced and in stock ready for when she properly outgrows the previous one, and I think I have found a couple fairly nearby that are in the right colour, and in decent condition.

My plan is to buy it, service it, stash it in the garage and either give it to her for her 9th birthday, or for Christmas next year.

I appreciate your son's 72 was an MTB, and the bike I am looking at is a 73, but do you recall what age your son went onto the 72 and how he found it size wise?
    Oh and what was the bike before his 72mtb?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    New chain and cassette for the Pinarello. Chain wasn't too bad, but £45 for a 105 cassette? Phuck me.

Even more for SRAM equiv.

At least that is all bikes now sorted for the forseeable - hopefully prices will start to normalise a bit in the next 6 months or so.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    the Lusso gloves rocked up:

Along with the toe covers, and socks.

Gloves fit really well in small, and look to be well up the job - nice and bright too.
    Socks look ok, but nothing special like my gripgrab favourites.
    Toe covers look like they should do the job too.
    Pleased overall.
    MattFalle said:

hopefully prices will start to normalise a bit in the next 6 months or so.

I hope you're correct, but sadly I don't think it will happen - this is the new 'norm' I do believe, and if prices stay the same for long enough, punters will basically get used to it, especially those new to the sport.

Did I hear some stat last week that said that half of the miles completed in the US in the last year were by people who had not been cycling two years previously - not sure if that is accurate or if I misheard it, but if that is the case, then there's a ton of people with enthusiasm and needing new kit who will just assume that is the way it is cost wise.
    No idea if that is mirrored around the globe, but I suspect it might not be too far different.

With regards to entire bikes, and their constantly rising prices, my theory is that it works really well for the manufacturers - they sell the bikes 9-12 months ahead of when they have actually built them, so gain the interest of that in the interim.
    They build the bikes, and send them straight out to the retailers who have customers chomping at the bit - absolutely minimal storage costs, shipping charges would remain the same I expect.
    Likely no discounts to the retailers, as they know the retailer has no need to even consider discounting the in demand brands.

Definitely higher profits for the retailers - probably on a bike by bike basis also for the bike shops (with naff all discount), but with reduced numbers that may offset things.

Additionally with bikes becoming more complex, what with hydraulic brakes, and fully integrated cabling becoming more the standard, I suspect they are getting a lot more servicing work than they would have in the past.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    daniel_b said:

edward.s said:

@edward.s I've posted on one of the Facebook frog pages, and opinion seems divided as to whether it's a logical step up or too big a jump.

My daughter is a tall (I think) 8 year old, birthday in August - currently 4ft 6" tall.
    She is riding a bargain 62 I found (Having moved up from a 52), and has been since Christmas last year.

She's a very competent rider, doesn't need any of this being able to get her feet down whilst being in the saddle malarkey which is good.

I always try and buy ahead to get the next bike ready, serviced and in stock ready for when she properly outgrows the previous one, and I think I have found a couple fairly nearby that are in the right colour, and in decent condition.

My plan is to buy it, service it, stash it in the garage and either give it to her for her 9th birthday, or for Christmas next year.

I appreciate your son's 72 was an MTB, and the bike I am looking at is a 73, but do you recall what age your son went onto the 72 and how he found it size wise?
    Oh and what was the bike before his 72mtb?
    Hi Daniel, sorry, missed this. My son is tall for his age, so sounds similar. He was about 1m45 and 8 years old when he got the 72 MTB and previously he had a normal 62. He's only just 11 and 1m61 now and he's deffo looking a bit too large for the 72 MTB.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks @edward.s - that bodes well in that case. Prices have all gone up now it would seem with people panic buying for Christmas, so I think I will bide my time and see what surfaces in the new year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Bought a while back and I may be ostracised for this but it’s probably the main reason I enjoy cycling again.

Redshift shock stop seat post.

The roads near me are a series of bone jarring, pot holed, lumps, bumps and cracks, so I was avoiding the bike as I couldn’t face the two or three weeks of discomfort it would take to toughen up again. The seatpost cushions all impacts. You wouldn’t need it on perfect tarmac but for gravel and crappy roads it great.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Selle SMP pro. Current saddle is decent but not perfect so I’m giving this a go. If it’s good enough for Mark Beaumont….
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    seanoconn said:

Bought a while back and I may be ostracised for this but it’s probably the main reason I enjoy cycling again.

Redshift shock stop seat post.

The roads near me are a series of bone jarring, pot holed, lumps, bumps and cracks, so I was avoiding the bike as I couldn’t face the two or three weeks of discomfort it would take to toughen up again. The seatpost cushions all impacts. You wouldn’t need it on perfect tarmac but for gravel and crappy roads it great.

That looks good for a commute etc, unfortunately most of what I ride now have proprietary shaped seatposts :/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b said:

the Lusso gloves rocked up:

Wore these for the first time yesterday.
    Very comfy, though there is a substantial amount of padding that might not suit all.
    Really windproof, and no water ingress in a reasonable shower.

Not too warm, didn't make hands sweaty either.

The only negative, is that if you run the tops of your bars untaped like I do, when wet, the gloves have no grip, it was a bit odd, though not a massive issue, more of an observation.

Had to concentrate more than usual when removing /replacing wet water bottles too.

They are good gloves, don't get me wrong, but not blown away for the money.

My giordana nordic gloves don't have the grip issue, and have similar performance and cost.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Selle smp dynamic bought while I wait for the pro. Wasn’t sure the pro is necessary or will fit so will give both a try and eBay the loser. Bought the pro at a bargain price from Spain completely forgetting I’ll have to pay VAT when it arrives, doh!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Stages SB20 indoor bike.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    A pair of Fulcrum racing 4s off of eBay. Brand new and hopefully a reasonable upgrade on the stock Aksiums when they arrive
  • daniel_b
    Noticed that Westbrook had these not so little beauties in stock, but as luck would have it, Scott HQ had sent me a £20 discount code, so ended up at £107 direct from them.

If they are half as good as the shields, I'll be delighted - excellent photochromic lens as well.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Taken a punt on one each of the below, from CRC with the £10 discount code, worked out at circa £91 for 2, instead of £110 for one at full rrp.

And a pro thermal mid long sleeve jersey from Tredz, in Chartreuse nonetheless - circa £92.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    A non yellow jersey Dan? Are you ok 😂

I’m trying to buy a cheap shit cx/gravel type bike to help with my zero motivation to ride but there’s not a lot out there, especially at the cheap cheap end I’m looking.

As an aside anyone looking for a 105 4iii power meter?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Well I'm trying to diversify, with some black, and also some green as the bike due (Gravel as it happens) in about 6 months will be green :-)

Are you looking for new or 2nd hand?

I guess there is not a lot out there available new, and 2nd hand ones will have had the prices jacked up :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • kfm2773
    kfm2773 Posts: 19
    prawny said:

A non yellow jersey Dan? Are you ok 😂

I’m trying to buy a cheap censored cx/gravel type bike to help with my zero motivation to ride but there’s not a lot out there, especially at the cheap cheap end I’m looking.

As an aside anyone looking for a 105 4iii power meter?

I may possibly be in the market for one. How much?
  • prawny
    Very much second hand. Budget it super limited, if I can sell my power meter for about £175 then I’ll be able to stretch to about £450

I might just see if I can shoe horn some 32s into the Vitus and put some skis speedrocket guards on to get around the lack of clearance. Wider would obviously be better but if it works I’ll at least know whether I would want to commit to it and get rid of the road bike.

The other option is to give up road biking all together and get an XC MTB, but I know that would t last and I’d be back again when telhe sun comes out again
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    @kfm2773 ill PM you
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    What about the Boardman CX bikes, they always had a great rep, decent spec, and 'used' to be around £800 new, or are the 2nd values so nuts they are artificially high currently?

EDIT: Have you looked on FB Marketplace?
    Just did a very quick search and saw this:

Voodoo for a monkey too:

Triban for £400:

This gloriously green Pinnacle is close to me:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • prawny
    Yeah been trawling the marketplace, not such rich pickings this way. The Boardman would be spot on but a bit out of reach even with the power meter gone.
    I think someone is trying in one with that voodoo though, there’s a couple not too far that are less £300 but they’re very (very) heavy.

Will keep on hunting, no mad rush. Might just try the vitus over cannock chase on the slicks and see how it goes. It’s on 28s as it is but wouldn’t go much bigger

Wish I’d have kept hold of my old Saracen. Great bike that was.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Been after some green bits to go with the upcoming bike:

Adventure cargo bibshorts from LP - they have a sale on, so £87 - plus a pair of random black socks to get 'free' postage:

And this from Tredz for £52ish down from £100, with matching socks:

And I thought I would likely never order anything from Rapha (Last order was 2.5 years ago) ever again (I don't have much of their stuff to be fair, couple of SS and couple of LS jerseys, caps, gilets and about the same number of shorts) but saw this midweight jersey in a fetching green, and I do like a good midweight jersey me, much like the Isadore and Castelli offerings, so chanced my arm on two of these in different sizes, £140 down to £84:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    daniel_b said:

And a pro thermal mid long sleeve jersey from Tredz, in Chartreuse nonetheless - circa £92.

This arrived - it's beautiful fabric, silky smooth, not too thick, torso fit and arm fit (Closeness wise) is perfect, but the arms are too damned long - it either covers my hands, or I have wrinkles of fabric all the way up my arm - I have several Castelli jackets and long sleeve jerseys, and none have this issue, really odd, so back it goes :/

EDIT: In hindsight the above picture gives a clue, but the fit for me is worse than that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Dude

How much kit do ypu have?

can you post a piccie of your kit wardrobe/shelf/box/room when you have a mo'
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    A fair amount, though I do tend to move stuff on when I get bored with it, but I gather I don't have nearly as much as @itboffin :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18