Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Still contemplating the switch to fixed. Just worried about my knees giving way.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    goonz wrote:
    Still contemplating the switch to fixed. Just worried about my knees giving way.
    Start with a low gear and build up. You should focus on developing "souplesse" and improving your pedalling first, then think about stepping up to a bigger gear. You don't want to end up cranking a big gear away from the lights all morning....
    Cheers,
    W.
  • I'm enjoying my SS in Amsterdam - perfect territory. Even pulling away from the endless stops is improved because it's so easy to stamp into the clipless pedals at such low initial cadence. The only place I'm stuffed is leaving the secure underground parking: it much be a steep narrow winding 10% incline with a pass needed to open the door that leads straight onto the slope. I haven't tried but I doubt I could get up that slope from a standing start.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Winter SSCX is complete (apart from guards);

9A4A78F2-EBE2-4255-BF96-8E36CFA24546_zpso1shbvou.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm back on my FGSS for the masshoof 1.1 mile London commute, nailed it over Waterloo bridge this morning :-)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    My newest acquisition, a Tokyo Fixed S2 from Kinoko.

10627834455_4cdf96df2e.jpg

It's er, not fixed. So I guess it's just a Tokyo S2 until I grow a pair and try it.
  • goonz
    Lovely looking bike, get some bullhorns on that bad boy
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Bi50N wrote:

It's er, not fixed. So I guess it's just a Tokyo S2 until I grow a pair and try it.
    Grow a pair and try it. Take the rear brake and cable off whilst you're at it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Thoughts on this as a first FGSS.

Might treat myself for Christmas on a ltd budget
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • wgwarburton
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:

I'd keep the brake. Brakes are good. I like brakes.

Nice looking bike. Classy.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Bi50N
    I did actually try fixed once. I nearly caterpaulted myself over a mini roundabout. Since my current commute is a very busy stretch of London at rush hour, I thought I'd do a bit more recreational practice before taking the plunge. Actually very keen to try some track riding which I thought would also help get used to it...

The brakes are staying until then :)

I ummed and aahed over bullhorns, but I really wanted drops, just like having the extra hand position, but I agree bullhorns might look better.

Also very happy with the pedals - dmr brendog vaults. I would defy a piece of dim sum to slip off them...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

I like brakes too. I think brakes are good too. So much so that I made sure I had the best disc brakes I could for my new road bike, but Fixies don't need rear brakes.
    When I rebuild my Fixie it will have a disc front brake but no rear as it will be superflous.

Less cables and calipers lead to a cleaner look too.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

I like brakes too. I think brakes are good too. So much so that I made sure I had the best disc brakes I could for my new road bike, but Fixies don't need rear brakes.
    When I rebuild my Fixie it will have a disc front brake but no rear as it will be superflous.

Mmm Cold wet greasy day indicating right while braking down a hill?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Front brake on the left.

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Really enjoyed the SS commute home last night. Concentrated on 'circular' pedalling rather than stomping on the pedals and found I could maintain a pretty high cadence for quite some time.

Plus the steel frame/bigger tyres combo is properly comfy.

Will be taking the bike to the south coast next weekend so I can flip the rear wheel and try out fixed riding on tarmac cycle paths.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I would like to build up some light wheels for my langster and am thinking some generic 38mm carbon Chinese cinchers laced to american classic rear hub and a novatech front. The american classic is only 24h drilling and I would prefer 28h for better stiffness and 24 on the front.

Any ideas for the build? I have practised by building up a 36 spoke wheel and a 24h 2 cross front wheel for my normal commuter (cervelo s1) which is still good after about 600 miles of rough and ready training.
  • Bi50N
    If I was going fixed, I do like the idea of a disc brake... Keep both wheels calliper free (the black coating over on the braking surface of the otherwise beautiful H Plus Sons rims has since rubbed away, but a disc would solve that issue. Bit late now mind...)

Since you rarely if ever need to engage the rear brake on a freewheel, unless it's a proper emergency stop or set of lights at the bottom of a hill, I am so conditioned to braking with my right hand I am not sure swapping to the left would be a sensible solution. Likely, I would only ever make journeys with left hand turns which seems a more reasonable solution.

Some more pics:

10606952135_c44269f758.jpg

10606946844_2fea63b634.jpg

10607177253_d0eccd9e5d.jpg

10606939256_fbf54fa6ed.jpg

10606931406_668ab79640.jpg

10606908374_cc96a9e018.jpg
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Front brake on the left.

well yes could do, but either side there will be that moment when your want to brake and indicate with the same hand.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I love those H Plus Son rims but they are a bit heavier than the Velocity A23 rims are also a good choice. I like the idea of a set of those for my cross bike (disc) therefore no issue with the anodised brake tracks. Lovely bike btw!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    welkman wrote:
    I love those H Plus Son rims but they are a bit heavier than the Velocity A23 rims are also a good choice. I like the idea of a set of those for my cross bike (disc) therefore no issue with the anodised brake tracks. Lovely bike btw!

I've got both. I prefer everything about the Archetypes over the A23s. Despite the manufacturers claimed weight I think they are almost the same.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM

well yes could do, but either side there will be that moment when your want to brake and indicate with the same hand.

Enough of this nested quotes lark.

Signaling when turning left is less of an issue. Motorised traffic will see a cyclist 'getting out of their way' as a pleasant surprise. Leg braking is sufficient to slow to a safe speed to take a corner whilst signalling.

I know nothing I say will convince you so I won't bother trying any more.

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've hatched a plan.

Currently 46x16 is a drag (75.7).

New option:
    48x17 (74.2) is fractionally lower and I have a double fixed hub and can flip to 48x16 (78.9) in the summer.
  • I am looking for some advice re SS crank replacement and posted some questions in Workshop, but thought I would cross-post a link to you folk as some Fixed/SS experts...any help much appreciated.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40038&t=12957694

Thanks
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Bi50N wrote:

Cheers,
    W.

Perfect time to practice whip skids
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Did somebody say FIGHT!?!

:twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Very nice looking bike.

I bought the metallic blue colour frame and forks which I'm about to build. It also came with bb, headset and cranks but unfortunately without a chainring, and I'm a bit unsure whether it's 1/8 or 2/3 inch I'd need? Would you know which I should one to get or doesn't it make a difference?

Bi50N wrote:
    If I was going fixed, I do like the idea of a disc brake... Keep both wheels calliper free (the black coating over on the braking surface of the otherwise beautiful H Plus Sons rims has since rubbed away, but a disc would solve that issue. Bit late now mind...)

Since you rarely if ever need to engage the rear brake on a freewheel, unless it's a proper emergency stop or set of lights at the bottom of a hill, I am so conditioned to braking with my right hand I am not sure swapping to the left would be a sensible solution. Likely, I would only ever make journeys with left hand turns which seems a more reasonable solution.

Some more pics:

10606952135_c44269f758.jpg

10606946844_2fea63b634.jpg

10607177253_d0eccd9e5d.jpg

10606939256_fbf54fa6ed.jpg

10606931406_668ab79640.jpg

10606908374_cc96a9e018.jpg
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Hmm I'm on 48x14 tonight. :)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    Generally on a FGSS go 1/8th as its thicker and usually stiffer therefore should last longer.

Failing that anything you have lying around will do.
  • wgwarburton
    itboffin wrote:
    Generally on a FGSS go 1/8th as its thicker and usually stiffer therefore should last longer.

Failing that anything you have lying around will do.
    +1 !
    Good advice, succinctly put.

Cheers,
    W.
  • goonz
    My Cinelli Mash fixed gear is finally ready. I was very tempted to take it out this morning but I pooped it and took the SS. I think I will take it out in the park on the weekend first. Any pointers on what to be careful of other than not to stop pedalling?