Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Heh just been outside trying to learn to trackstand under a streetlight (I'm 35 btw). One of the neighbours came out thinking I was some hoody checking out his car for later thievery!

Anyway trackstanding, not actually that hard is it, 10-15 minutes practise and I was managing around 20 seconds, admittedly it was a wobbly 20 seconds but this this was using normal shoes on a set of very small Speedplays so not too shabby really.

Reckon it may well be a different story once I'm clipped in, right up next to a car, and trying to keep one eye on the traffic lights!
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Maybe, but this bike is from the late 60's instead of the 80s. I only call something old if I'm younger than it, so anything made in the 80s doesn't count :(
    I was made in the 80s. Guess that makes me 'not old' ;)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Apollo748 writes:

> Short wheelbase racing bike? Maybe that explains why my fixed build feels so short. It's an old racing bike frame from the 80s, it has the same seat tube height as my 2008 but the top tube feels so much shorter. Maybe that was the norm back then and racing bikes have got longer over the years?

A Short Wheelbase bike would have forks with less trail, steeper frame angles and shorter chainstays compared to a relaxed touring frame. The handling is quicker, as you say, but the top-tube shouldn't be any shorter than normal.
    Bike fit has changed a bit over the years, though, so it's quite possible that the framebuilder was aiming for a more upright position than your "modern" frame.
    A longer stem should help, if you prefer a longer/lower position.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I guess the key thing is that it was custom built for my dad who's about 3 inches shorter than me :lol:

I'm going to go for a longer stem as that should calm down some of the twitchiness too.

This morning's ride was better than yesterday's, a minute faster than normal so maybe there is something to this SS malarkey after all?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • You don't spend as long faffing about with gears!

I'm sure that's what it is... :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You don't spend as long faffing about with gears!

On yesterdays little epic journey I mentally changed down about 20 gears - it burns it burns :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    HELP!

Do any of you FG/SS use a Miche Primato BB?

I have an English thread 107mm BB that just will not screw into any of my BB shells, I've tried 4 different frames, i've measured the cups and frames and they are the right size, what gives?

I have a habit of applying a little to much force and breaking stuff so would really like to know if that's normal for Miche BB.

Ta
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    itboffin wrote:
    HELP!

I have an English thread 107mm BB that just will not screw into any of my BB shells, I've tried 4 different frames, i've measured the cups and frames and they are the right size, what gives?

I have a habit of applying a little to much force and breaking stuff so would really like to know if that's normal for Miche BB.

Ta

No idea, but do you want me to post on LondonFGSS to see if anyone has a suggestion?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    Littigator wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    HELP!

Ta

No idea, but do you want me to post on LondonFGSS to see if anyone has a suggestion?

Please if you wouldn't mind, it seems a waste to throw it away.
  • itboffin wrote:
    HELP!

Ta

This might shed some light : http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Apollo748 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    HELP!

Ta

ITB has that helped or do you still want me to ask the question?
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    itboffin wrote:
    You don't spend as long faffing about with gears!

On yesterdays little epic journey I mentally changed down about 20 gears - it burns it burns :cry:

Tell me about it. I'm glad that I'm out on the beers tonight as my legs have from this morning's commute to tomorrow's ride home to recover.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • itboffin
    Littigator wrote:
    Apollo748 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    HELP!

Ta

ITB has that helped or do you still want me to ask the question?

Yeh I already read that and all the park tools etc etc google references I could find, it just seems too big.
  • wgwarburton
    itboffin wrote:

> I have an English thread 107mm BB that just will not screw into any of my BB shells, I've tried 4 different frames, i've measured the cups and frames and they are the right size, what gives?

Are you 100% sure that the BB you have is "English Thread"? It seems to me the most likely scenario here is that you have been sold a Swiss (or similar) BB in an British/ISO box....

I can't think what else it could be- unless your four frames are all some other Continental size instead...

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

> I have an English thread 107mm BB that just will not screw into any of my BB shells, I've tried 4 different frames, i've measured the cups and frames and they are the right size, what gives?

Are you 100% sure that the BB you have is "English Thread"? It seems to me the most likely scenario here is that you have been sold a Swiss (or similar) BB in an British/ISO box....

I can't think what else it could be- unless your four frames are all some other Continental size instead...

Cheers,
    W.

At first I thought that but the Miche Primato BB only comes in English or Italian thread and the cups are clearly marked and do bite for about 3 full turns, it's very strange.
  • itboffin
    An update for anyone who might be stupid enough to build their own bike.

Get your BB shell chased & faced, tell the LBS or take the new BB with you.

Grrrr! more wasted time & money.
  • wgwarburton
    ITB,

What was the underlying problem? Damaged or choked threads?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    ITB has learned that a 2.5 lb lump hammer is NOT a suitable alternative to using the same thread on casing and BB.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    Arh yes the trusty rubber mallet, few are the things that would not benefit from a good whack :evil:

It's seems the threading on my Mercian frame are old (like GT & G66) and not very deap compared to a modern BB, the threads on my new cross frame are simply pants, there's also a sizeable dent in the head tube, that frame is going back and has already been replaced with a Dolan cross - sweet!!!

Now stop bothering me with pointless questions, I have important fund raising to do. The docks await...

Hello sailor :shock:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What does chased mean? What does faced mean? Please explain using zero words that are bike-specific, thanks.
  • biondino wrote:
    What does chased mean? What does faced mean? Please explain using zero words that are bike-specific, thanks.

+1

This thread has got waaaaaaaay too technical for me. :shock:
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:

Just methods to clean and or re-thread your bottom bracket, helps a new BB fit better which make it much easier to install and MIGHT prolong the life of the BB.
  • itboffin
    Duh :wink:
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,

Facing the BB is basically filing the edges of the frame that the lip of the BB (assuming it has one) rests against when it's screwed all the way on. This gives a nice snug fit which looks tidy and shouldn't leak.

Chasing the threads on the frame involves cleaning and reshaping them so that the threads on the BB screw in smoothly, instead of getting jammed on little bumps, high-spots, rust or general muck.

There are special tools for these jobs, as the faces need to be flat and parallel and the threads need to be at right angles to the frame and exactly the right size and shape.

OK? Is that clear?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Hi,

Facing the BB is basically filing the edges of the frame that the lip of the BB (assuming it has one) rests against when it's screwed all the way on. This gives a nice snug fit which looks tidy and shouldn't leak.

Chasing the threads on the frame involves cleaning and reshaping them so that the threads on the BB screw in smoothly, instead of getting jammed on little bumps, high-spots, rust or general muck.

There are special tools for these jobs, as the faces need to be flat and parallel and the threads need to be at right angles to the frame and exactly the right size and shape.

OK? Is that clear?

Cheers,
    W.

Well there you go - I've learnt something today! Thanks Buns!
  • itboffin
    Hi,

OK? Is that clear?

Cheers,
    W.

Now i was trying not to buy those tools BUT ...
  • itboffin
    I converted a roadie to the 'dark side' yesterday.

Whilst in the petrol station NOT jet washing my SS mud and super rust machine I was approached by a fellow cyclist, after establishing I was riding single speed the subject of his uncertainty of a SS suitable to cope with the local hills was put to rest, reassured that it was possible he disappeared smiling ear to ear, eyes glazed with the look of a man about to buy a new bike.

Enjoy!
  • itboffin
    Advise needed please SS & fixers

Can anyone tell me what's going on with my chain tension, It keeps going loose after reasonably short rides, yet the axle nuts don't look like they've moved. Is it possible that i'm wearing the teeth on the freewheel and chain ring?

Every ride for week has been a wet mud fest so much so that the brake pads are almost worn out.
  • Is it stretching?? I know it may sound far-fetched... check sheldon reed for chain stretch - there's a cunning way to measure it.

More realistically, do you have chain tugs? They can make a big difference if your chain tension's dropping off.

Also, how much looser?
  • itboffin
    Is it stretching?? I know it may sound far-fetched... check sheldon reed for chain stretch - there's a cunning way to measure it.

More realistically, do you have chain tugs? They can make a big difference if your chain tension's dropping off.

Also, how much looser?

Yes that could be it but after every ride? I paid £5 for that chain :wink:

I don't think tugs will fit on my bike and very loose, loose enough to push off the sprocket.

I really don't want to put an expensive chain on at the moment, the bike is totally covered in mud after every ride as am I, I made the mistake of not washing the bike just one day and the chain started to rust.